Plant's Post-Zeppelin Career. Love it or hate it?

Evster2012

138 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or hate it?

• Great work! Wonderful diversity!
    • If it ain't Zeppelin, I don't wanna know!

I was at FYI today (music store in the US, not sure if its in Europe) to buy Raising Sand and was amazed to find a used copy of Mighty Rearranger for $4! I don't, for the life of me, understand why so many LZ fans cannot appreciate Robert's post-LZ work because he has come out with some great stuff and he always goes in a somewhat new direction yet has that awesome bluesy feel. When I think of all those LZ fans who can't get into Robert's solo material, including the poor sap who returned my new CD, I feel bad for them.

Very true, but then I saw CDs of Physical Graffiti going for less than that in the bargain bins at Woolworths in the UK, a couple of years ago. And it makes me wonder . . .

I personally love his post work. No one has his voice! It's different than LZ but only those four together could ever be LZ. (now with Jason as an exception). I'll keep buying any of his work as well as Jones and Page's work.

I personally love his post work. No one has his voice! It's different than LZ but only those four together could ever be LZ. (now with Jason as an exception). I'll keep buying any of his work as well as Jones and Page's work.

:yesnod: :yesnod:

I think that's what has been a plus for Robert in many respects is that he never tried to make his solo work replicas of Zep. Nothing could be that and that's perfectly okay, nor would I want it to be. It's like he was starting over.

I think the litmus test is - if it wasn't "Robert Plant" would you still like it? The whole Zeppelin thing should only take them so far. Say if any of them produced something mediocre, people shouldn't still go, "Oooooooooh it's grrreaaaat!" So for the most part, I really like RP's post-Zep work. I think it's cool he tried to make his own niche without resting or relying on the past (great though it was...really REALLY great :D )

I especially love the stuff from Fate of Nations through Mighty Rearranger (incl. P&P).

Not a fan of Krauss. Waiting for Robert to go back to being a solo vocalist...acapella, even (like when he sings the intro on Valley Of Tears-I dissolve!).

:blush:

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a bit in the middle. His stuff is definately good, but it isn't Zeppelin you know. I saw him in concert in the Mighty Rearranger tour, which was fantastic. He and his band played about 50/50 Zep, Solo. Was pretty good.

• 4 months later...

I can't believe people actually voted if it's not Zeppelin I don't wanna know. Good grief. Plant has had an outstanding solo career. I can't fault a thing he's done solo.

I saw plant in 88 with stevie ray vaughan it rained buckets meadowlands nj I do believe it was the first tour with zeppelin songs in the set list.correct me if im wrong

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe people actually voted if it's not Zeppelin I don't wanna know. Good grief. Plant has had an outstanding solo career. I can't fault a thing he's done solo.

I totally agree!

Maybe if the OP had given more than 2 choices than just the extreme. Where's the I like some of it, but not all of it category? That's where my vote goes.

It's not all or nothing ya know.

Outside of seeing Zeppelin live 5 times I have seen Robert 49 other times live to date throughout his post Zep career so I think you may know where I stand on this debate. And I hope and intend to see him many more times.

"Raising Sand" was my favorite post Zep work for Plant. I have a whole new respect for Plant now.

I was almost as blown away with the result of his his pairing with Alison Krauss as the first time I heard him with Zep. The CD has such depth, and somewhat haunting aspect to it. It is such a classy and sophisticated accomplishment for them both. Neither of them was in it for the commercial appeal or money.

If someone has no heard this work yet, I urge you to. Youtube has many features on it.

Most if the early british bands have spoke of their early influences with American grass roots music. Robert Plant accomplished paying such honor to such with this amazing work.

• 3 months later...

I think Band of Joy picks up where Raising Sand left off, and then some. It's a phenomenal album, swampy, bluesy, rootsy......Plant is in terrific voice too.

I still can't fault Percy for a thing he's done during his solo career. Personally speaking, Band of Joy is just more proof of that.

• 3 years later...

Well to be honest, Iv'e only heard his latest album "

lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar" which I just purchased and I love it. :)

Same here. Don't have any of his previous solo albums, and haven't bought the latest yet but am going to. I have listened to several of the songs posted on YouTube and really, really like them. The fact that he is putting out new music, and his voice sounds very beautiful and honest, is remarkable to me. Good job, Robert!!!

And if he can refrain from negative remarks about LZ, I give him two thumbs up!

:)

• 4 weeks later...

Love most of his solo work.

The Principle of Moments is filled with these atmospheric songs, really good stuff.

Everyone mentions Ship of Fools, the guitar playing is just incredible on that song!

And even some of the stuff from Lullaby just keeps breaking new ground for him. Amazing musician, to be his age and still trying new things, when he could so easily rest on his laurels....

Archived