Original Song Names

LedZep1969

a 10 Question Zep quiz: (about the songs only)

1.What was the original title for Kashmir?

2.What was the original title for That's The Way?

3.What song is about a groupie that followed the band?

4.TRUE or FALSE: The band used outside musicians for Kashmir

5.What is Page's favorite song on Led Zeppelin III?

6.What is another name for Bron-Y-Aur Stomp? (Not Bron-Yr-Aur)

7.What song did Page put microphones all over the studio for?

8.What song is about a "Love In" at London?

9.What song were acoustics written at Bron-Yr-Aur and then electric recored at a studio?

10.What song is dedicated to Zep's fans?

I'll grade everyones answer

a 10 Question Zep quiz: (about the songs only)

1.What was the original title for Kashmir?

2.What was the original title for That's The Way?

3.What song is about a groupie that followed the band?

4.TRUE or FALSE: The band used outside musicians for Kashmir

5.What is Page's favorite song on Led Zeppelin III?

6.What is another name for Bron-Y-Aur Stomp? (Not Bron-Yr-Aur)

7.What song did Page put microphones all over the studio for?

8.What song is about a "Love In" at London?

9.What song were acoustics written at Bron-Yr-Aur and then electric recored at a studio?

10.What song is dedicated to Zep's fans?

I'll grade everyones answer

3. Livin' lovin' maid

9.The only one i know is STH

These are the only ones i know off the top of my head, it's too early in the morning over here to think of any more. :D

3. Livin' lovin' maid

9.The only one i know is STH

These are the only ones i know off the top of my head, it's too early in the morning over here to think of any more. :D

correct to both and yea im tired myself over here where the spirits fly :)

1. Driving To Kashmir

2. The Boy Next Door

3. When your conscience hits you knock it back with pills

4. False

5. Gallow's Pole

6. On Jenning's Farm (Bron-Yr-Aur is Welsh for Golden Breast.)

7. Originally 25 mics on the drums alone for Levee, but re-recorded with one. Page's penchant for close-miking instruments and using ambient mics throughout the studio for 'distance makes depth' is well documented. The answer could be almost any electric Zeppelin tune. :)

8. Misty Mt. Hop

9. All of them, they only took acoustic guitars

10. The Ocean

1. Driving To Kashmir

2. The Boy Next Door

3. When your conscience hits you knock it back with pills

4. False

5. Gallow's Pole

6. On Jenning's Farm (Bron-Yr-Aur is Welsh for Golden Breast.)

7. Originally 25 mics on the drums alone for Levee, but re-recorded with one. Page's penchant for close-miking instruments and using ambient mics throughout the studio for 'distance makes depth' is well documented. The answer could be almost any electric Zeppelin tune. :)

8. Misty Mt. Hop

9. All of them, they only took acoustic guitars

10. The Ocean

Correct

Correct

Wrong

Wrong

Correct

Correct

Correct (trick question)

Correct

I meant Stairway but yea correct

Correct

Fun quiz, thanks for posting it.

3. When your conscience hits you knock it back with pills (is a lyric from Living Loving Maid, I didn't want to repeat it because Jimmy'sALegend already answered it correctly.)

4. I always thought JPJ was the orchestra. What sessionmen played on Kashmir?

songfacts are just things posted by someone like you and me. Doesn't make it true. Very unreliable site

Thanks, Nick, I didn't want to mention that and appear to have sour grapes. There is no orchestra credited on my vinyl edition of Physical Graffiti. The only book I see anything about it is from the equally unreliable "Stories Behind Every Song" series: Chris Welch's DAZED AND CONFUSED. Welch is typically a good scribe, if he needs technical detail he's not above bringing a real musician in for the job, i.e. Geoff Nicholls for THUNDER OF DRUMS. In the 'story behind Kashmir' he alludes to an orchestra being used in the studio to give Jones' parts some oomph. (Not that it makes any difference but when I saw LZ perform Kashmir in 1977 Jones' keyboards sounded huge, till then I never really cared for the song, afterwards it was, "Ohh, that's how it's supposed to sound.")

But I've NEVER read any member of Zeppelin say anything about an orchestra; Howard Mylett or Dave Lewis either. Those two were LZ experts during the 70s before the band crashed and burned. I put more stock in what they have to say than Chris Welch, who had similar access. Welch's set-in-stone opinions taint his reporting and negate it. He goes out of his way to rip on D'yer Mak'er everytime he recycles another book about the band.

That gives me pause about the veracity of the 'orchestra' in Kashmir.

Thanks, Nick, I didn't want to mention that and appear to have sour grapes. There is no orchestra credited on my vinyl edition of Physical Graffiti. The only book I see anything about it is from the equally unreliable "Stories Behind Every Song" series: Chris Welch's DAZED AND CONFUSED. Welch is typically a good scribe, if he needs technical detail he's not above bringing a real musician in for the job, i.e. Geoff Nicholls for THUNDER OF DRUMS. In the 'story behind Kashmir' he alludes to an orchestra being used in the studio to give Jones' parts some oomph. (Not that it makes any difference but when I saw LZ perform Kashmir in 1977 Jones' keyboards sounded huge, till then I never really cared for the song, afterwards it was, "Ohh, that's how it's supposed to sound.")

But I've NEVER read any member of Zeppelin say anything about an orchestra; Howard Mylett or Dave Lewis either. Those two were LZ experts during the 70s before the band crashed and burned. I put more stock in what they have to say than Chris Welch, who had similar access. Welch's set-in-stone opinions taint his reporting and negate it. He goes out of his way to rip on D'yer Mak'er everytime he recycles another book about the band.

That gives me pause about the veracity of the 'orchestra' in Kashmir.

It kind of sounds like there may be an orchestra in Kashmir just from listening to it. Possibly a small one. But it's definitely not done the way it's done live with the melotron/keyboards. But there's no real evidence that it was done with an orchestra also.

• 2 months later...
bullshit.

truth, imo.

heard the hard compressed Mothership version played back thru studio monitor speakers lately and it gets kinda obvious here. they have recorded horns & strings and maybe more stuff on it, but in the mixdown lowered these tracks a lot and JPJ synched all these parts with his keys (i dont know before or after) thus buried it almost to inaudible. but if u have a bit of feel for 70s mellotron/synth style sounds, you can tell that the attack phase of the instruments sound exactly like live instruments, not a synth or mellotron.

also, it´s been quite common among producers in the golden age of recordings (analog tape multi track) to try out different instrumentations and then erase whats not to their liking. sometimes instuments also bleed thru to another recorded track just a tiny wee bit and add to the color without a listener really being able to differenciate this.

If anyone out there has Early Days & Latter Days (yes-i know it's not "official" or whatever...) put Latter Days in your CD/DVD ROM Drive and watch the video. I couldn't find the same vid on You Tube, but this one uses the same keyboard, I think ( if you can hear it past the guitar).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1yFQ6vcRNk \

But, in the more popular 1979 vid the keyboard sounds like a piano. Intresting...

Where did the orchestra go? :sos:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived