Biggest Rock music upsets...

LedZep1969

A thread about the bands who were supposed to be good and never tuurned out famous and also about the biggest joke bands of all time.

The biggest joke band of all time well...KISS

except KISS actually made good music. and it was part of a show, really. I'd listen to them anyway, but it's like Alice Cooper, its all part of the show, but with really good music.

i say the biggest upset would have to Damn Yankees.

Tommy Shaw = God

The Nuge = creepy but good guitarist

the dude from night ranger = pretty good

damn yankees = TOTAL SUCK BALLADS!!!!!

KISS totally puts on a good show, for sure. But good music? Sorry, I'm going to have to wholly disagree there.

One that disappoints me personally due to my man-crushes, is Zakk Wylde and Jerry Cantrell. Both could ahve, and should have gotten a lot bigger than they did in their solo careers, but they just can't get over that hump. It doesn't help that Zakk also started drastically dumbing down his music over the years, but still. And Cantrell, well you'd think that all the Alice In Chains fans would shimmy over to his side since he was the primary song writer for AIC and his solo music is very similar(Better, in my opinion) but he's had no real success either.

Edited by JukeboxJim

KISS totally puts on a good show, for sure. But good music? Sorry, I'm going to have to wholly disagree there.

God...the hate for Kiss on here is so above the top. Yes, Kiss could play some good songs and they had some great jams. Ace has some of the sickest solos ever. I'll be the first to admit that their lyrics could be goofy but hey, even John Paul Jones loves them. He's in a Kiss book I read and I believe he even said they were underrated as a band.

One that disappoints me personally due to my man-crushes, is Zakk Wylde and Jerry Cantrell. Both could ahve, and should have gotten a lot bigger than they did in their solo careers, but they just can't get over that hump. It doesn't help that Zakk also started drastically dumbing down his music over the years, but still. And Cantrell, well you'd think that all the Alice In Chains fans would shimmy over to his side since he was the primary song writer for AIC and his solo music is very similar(Better, in my opinion) but he's had no real success either.

Jerry Cantrell is a supberb musician and songwriter. Problem is, he plays from the heart and won't dumb his music down to appeal to the masses. Just listen to Degradation Trip (the two disc set) and you'll know what I mean...

Jerry Cantrell is a supberb musician and songwriter. Problem is, he plays from the heart and won't dumb his music down to appeal to the masses. Just listen to Degradation Trip (the two disc set) and you'll know what I mean...

No need to tell me about that marvellous gem of an album. I know what you're saying, but my thing is AIC was big, and absolutely none of that transferred over to Jerry's solo career, and that kind of befuddles me.

God...the hate for Kiss on here is so above the top. Yes, Kiss could play some good songs and they had some great jams. Ace has some of the sickest solos ever. I'll be the first to admit that their lyrics could be goofy but hey, even John Paul Jones loves them. He's in a Kiss book I read and I believe he even said they were underrated as a band.

I <3 Detroit Rock City

and The Hollies = upset? i say them and the zombies were UNDERrated.

Audioslave.

Liked Soundgarden and even liked Rage Against the Machine...but when

the Audioslave album came out, I was like "what is this boring crap?!?"

Such a letdown.

I agree, I still think Cornell sounds best in front of some harder rock, and not that funk-type vibe. I actually can't think of any of those "supergroups" that I really liked. Velvet Revolver was the same. I liked GNR and STP separately, but I could never get into Velvet Revolver.

No need to tell me about that marvellous gem of an album. I know what you're saying, but my thing is AIC was big, and absolutely none of that transferred over to Jerry's solo career, and that kind of befuddles me.

I understand what you mean completely. A lot of it stems from Jerry's lack of decent management and promotion. Roadrunner sucks donkey balls. <_<

And Cantrell, well you'd think that all the Alice In Chains fans would shimmy over to his side since he was the primary song writer for AIC and his solo music is very similar(Better, in my opinion) but he's had no real success either.

Cantrell doesn't have the angst of the late Layne Staley, just the riffs. Without Layne, the music isn't as distinctive.

Back in the early 80's here in the UK, The NWOBHM was avery exciting time, one of those bands Saxon never eally hit the heights of say Def appard and Iron Maiden, yet are still going and are sometimes thoguht of as a bit of a joke, but i have to say Strong Arm of the law from 1980 is still a great album and I think although they are not really thought of as really making it big or cool !! I think they are great metal from that era !!

Edited by leddy

Queen. Talented musicians of course but much of their music was pure 'plastic'. I could never take them seriously.

Half a mo! The first three albums were great, Sheer Heart Attack has many classic songs. The next two were decent but News of the World put me to sleep!