14 Billion and post Katrina New Orleans still unsafe

The Rover

New Orleans repeating deadly levee blunders

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080824/D92OF3I80.html

Aug 24, 1:26 AM (ET)

By CAIN BURDEAU

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Signs are emerging that history is repeating itself in the Big Easy, still healing from Katrina: People have forgotten a lesson from four decades ago and believe once again that the federal government is constructing a levee system they can prosper behind.

In a yearlong review of levee work here, The Associated Press has tracked a pattern of public misperception, political jockeying and legal fighting, along with economic and engineering miscalculations since Katrina, that threaten to make New Orleans the scene of another devastating flood.

Dozens of interviews with engineers, historians, policymakers and flood zone residents confirmed many have not learned from public policy mistakes made after Hurricane Betsy in 1965, which set the stage for Katrina; many mistakes are being repeated.

:rolleyes: Well when you interview morons you get a moronic response.

I personally don't know anyone that believes these levees will protect us from another Katrina. Many of us are still living it and no one I know will forget it in our lifetime.

It will be remembered like 9/11.

I have a photo gallery on one of my walls to remind me just incase.

Even concrete levees are no match for mother nature. So what is the point of the article? New Orleans will always be here, at least until mother nature reclaims it.

At least a third of the nations oil supply rolls past this city and we know how we take care of oil interests. In addition it is the worlds largest grain port and we all like to eat.

So this is one resident that will not forget! :o

Besides there is a small town in Texas that I know will always keep the light on for us :)

c606eff2.jpg7e5439a8.jpgbc52f0fa.jpg

A local DJ brought this up a while ago.

Katrina is a bigger disaster than 9/11.

Now 3,000 died in 9/11 and only 1,900 died in Katrina as far as we can tell.

But while a square mile was completely destroyed in New York, the entire city of Orleans was destroyed. New Orleans having the title of a city is amazing to me.

You really can't blame Bush for Katrina. You can blame him for sitting on his ass too long in the aftermath, but the real brunt should go to that mayor and that dumbfuck governor who really blew the coup. Not to mention, the city government let the area grow into a huge slum for decades and when it was time to get people out, the state government crumbled. Then "cried" on national television for help. That's on the state, not the feds. Throw in the fact that the levees were built by the lowest bidder for a mid-level hurricane in an area with average summer/fall water temps that fester severe hurricanes on a regular seasonal basis and yes, you get the mess you've got now.

A local DJ brought this up a while ago.

Katrina is a bigger disaster than 9/11.

Now 3,000 died in 9/11 and only 1,900 died in Katrina as far as we can tell.

But while a square mile was completely destroyed in New York, the entire city of Orleans was destroyed. New Orleans having the title of a city is amazing to me.

That's absurd. Have you been there recently?

I cannot agree with the dj's myopic viewpoint for it wasn't just structures and lives destroyed on 9-11 but an entire way of life was placed squarely under attack. How

anyone can assign greater impact to that particular natural disaster over the kick-off

of world-wide cultural warfare is beyond me.

True.

but he said it a few days after Katrina. So he may of changed his opinion and he was also just suggesting.

Aug 27, 8:55 PM (ET)

By JONATHAN M. KATZ - AP

Gustav stalled offshore Wednesday and poured more misery onto Haiti after landslides and flooding killed 23 people. Oil workers began leaving their rigs and New Orleans drew up evacuation plans as forecasters warned the storm could plow into the U.S. Gulf coast as a major hurricane.

Gustav killed 15 people on Haiti's deforested southern peninsula, where it dumped 12 inches or more of rain. A landslide buried eight people, including a mother and six of her children, in the neighboring Dominican Republic.

Gustav weakened to a tropical storm over Haiti, but was expected to become a hurricane again as early as Thursday over the warm Caribbean waters between Cuba and Jamaica. Its expected track pointed directly at the Cayman Islands, an offshore banking center where residents boarded up homes and stocked up on emergency supplies.

By Labor Day, Gustav could make landfall anywhere from south Texas to the Florida panhandle, and hurricane experts said everyone in between should be concerned.

"We know it's going to head into the Gulf. After that, we're not sure," said meteorologist Rebecca Waddington at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. "For that reason, everyone in the Gulf needs to be monitoring the storm."

New Orleans began planning a possible mandatory evacuation, hoping to prevent the chaos it saw after Hurricane Katrina struck three years ago Friday. Mayor Ray Nagin left the Democratic National Convention in Denver to help the city prepare.

Archived