Jimmy Page in Beijing

Well Jimmy has already allowed WLL to be re-written several times. As I said both CCS and Blonde on Blonde had top 10 hits with "versions" of it in the UK. So I can't see what is so odd about that.

Also you say you saw his pre-peformance BBC interview - he was clearly quite enthusiastic about it being a new version of WLL, and about performing it with Leona.

It is also possible to have a pre-recorded track and sing/play some of it live over the top of it - artists do that all the time.

Yes, it's already been discussed before- other bands' useage of WLL, but my point about this performance- not a recording for a UK hit- was missed entirely. The assumption that a pre-recorded version [back-up?] would be used instead of live voice/guitar wasn't all that obvious. Jimmy has very high standards with Zeppelin songs, and what's happened at Beijing was a deviation from his norm. Obvious this isn't. But I enjoyed seeing him in the spotlight again. At least he wasn't a hologram- that's something future Olympic organizers are probably working on as I type.

edited due to lack of sleep.

its called a TV track. you mix a version of the song with the backup vocals but without the lead. I believe this was 100% lip synced however. Nothing live was going on. The cool part is we have a new fully produced version of wwl with London Philharmonic strings, a hot chick singer( she did a pretty cool interpretation), slammin guitar riffs. I think that is cooler than if they had done it live because the time allotted the band would't even have been warmed up yet.

it called a TV track. you mix a version of the song with the backup vocals but without the lead. I believe this was 100% lip synced however. Nothing live was going on. The cool part is we have a new fully produced version of wwl with London Philharmonic strings, a hot chick singer( she did a pretty cool interpretation), slammin guitar riffs. I think that is cooler than if they had done it live because the time allotted the band would't even have been warmed up yet.

I agree ddot.

AND from what I could tell through my TV speaker, that was pretty darn close to Jimmy's tone on the original recording from '69. Closest I've heard since the record.

You consider the annihiliation of US in terms of Gold medals fake and of course US never fakes its greatness?

U.S. faking greatness?

No, not fake greatness.

Geeze, can't a Led Zeppelin fan have an opinion? I am pretty much on the record for thinking that Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin have been among the best in the world. But that being said, I also don't think that every performance or appearance (which is what this basically was) has been great. I would think that an honest critique of anything, would also include times when one does not think everything is great.

I'm sure even Elvis had a bad night once and awhile. :whistling:

But serioulsy, Knebby sort of posed a good point about the British pride thing with this Page appearance. And on that level I pretty much get it, and see some people's point. And also Mr. Page should be proud for at least being asked to do this.

I really don't have anything else to say about this that I haven't already said... So I'm done with it. But at least if you are a fan of Led Zeppelin/Page, be willing to give a balanced critiique of them once in awhile for heaven's sake.

Thunderchief

U.S. faking greatness?

No, not fake greatness.

Geeze, can't a Led Zeppelin fan have an opinion? I am pretty much on the record for thinking that Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin have been among the best in the world. But that being said, I also don't think that every performance or appearance (which is what this basically was) has been great. I would think that an honest critique of anything, would also include times when one does not think everything is great.

I'm sure even Elvis had a bad night once and awhile. :whistling:

But serioulsy, Knebby sort of posed a good point about the British pride thing with this Page appearance. And on that level I pretty much get it, and see some people's point. And also Mr. Page should be proud for at least being asked to do this.

Sniff.....Del, I think I'm gonna cry.

it called a TV track. you mix a version of the song with the backup vocals but without the lead. I believe this was 100% lip synced however. Nothing live was going on. The cool part is we have a new fully produced version of wwl with London Philharmonic strings, a hot chick singer( she did a pretty cool interpretation), slammin guitar riffs. I think that is cooler than if they had done it live because the time allotted the band would't even have been warmed up yet.

Yeah. Those two string players on the bus sounded kind of lush, otherwise. :D

Lewis talked in one interview about rehearsing in an airplane hanger somewhere. Obviously the thing was recorded. Someone on another thread pointed out we were most likely hearing the audio from the stadium, not from a direct feed. Bet the recording sounds fantastic! Hope we get to hear it, some time.

On another tangent, about the bus that keeps getting slammed for the hedges, well... it occurs to me seeing some long-shot photos that we all saw it up close on TV. Really it was designed to be seen from a distance by the people in that huge stadium. From that perspective it's a neat skyline of London.

I think that is cooler than if they had done it live because the time allotted the band would't even have been warmed up yet.

Explain, please. What band?

Oh, wait- where was that bass player who spilled the news to the world? Was he in the bus? On his little blog, he said "that's me" playing the song. (Maybe he was one of the street mimes the little girl walked on!?) If you find a pic of the band, show me because the video was pulled on YouTuber. Thx.

It was definatly the audio from the stadium not a direct audio feed.

They rehearsed the whole bus thing and lip syncing, not actually playing, in the hanger outside Beijing.

The band was in the studio in London where Jimmy produced the new version.

After all its not as if Jimmy hasn't done WWL live before. This was a track date.

I'm all for harsh critisism but there is no reason for it here, Jimmy does not seem burned out or fading away anytime soon. A picture of perfect health.

I will say one thing about zep 2.0 the versions are getting shorter and more consumable, I personally am a fan of the extended jam 12 minute versions. Imagine however if Jimmy insisted on Jamming live, the IOC would have asked him how long the segment should be and Jimmy would say " were're gonna jam on it for a while and see what original riffs might spring to life, maybe 8 to 15 minutes , and we need 6 busses just for the amps.

Ok so Jimmy is not afraid to lend out a couple tracks for the mass media these days(puff diddy, cadilac, olympics) at least he is still relevent on a global level. I'd say more relevent.

The counter culture is merging with the mass media, a little weird for us die hard hippies but the times they are achangen.

After all its not as if Jimmy hasn't done WWL live before. This was a track date.

I'm all for harsh critisism but there is no reason for it here, Jimmy does not seem burned out or fading away anytime soon. A picture of perfect health.

I never said he was burned out or fading. He looks wonderful, but I wouldn't stretch it with "perfect health" though.

So there was no band actually playing in the Bird's Nest- it was just a rehearsal pic. I didn't think I was seeing (or hearing) things. Thanks for clearing this up. The needle is now back on the groove.

For the record, I'm all for change, but re-writing lyrics to songs like WLL for any reason is like taking a national anthem and making it "modern" with a rap beat, sirens and scratch. O Say Can U C The Star Spangled 'Bitch? That's lovely.

:rolleyes:

"O Say Can U C The Star Spangled 'Bitch? That's lovely."

actually that sounds kind of dope, Hendrix did his interpretation, LL did her interpretation. I thought she flipped a couple of the melodies in kind of a cool way. The strings were accending at the end and she was going higher along with them. the girl has chops. I would have hired christina A but she's American.

"O Say Can U C The Star Spangled 'Bitch? That's lovely."

actually that sounds kind of dope, Hendrix did his interpretation, LL did her interpretation. I thought she flipped a couple of the melodies in kind of a cool way. The strings were accending at the end and she was going higher along with them. the girl has chops. I would have hired christina A but she's American.

Hendrix didn't change the lyrics, just the song; he also made it longer, he didn't shorten it. I don't recall him singing it, either.

Cheers.

It was definatly the audio from the stadium not a direct audio feed.

They rehearsed the whole bus thing and lip syncing, not actually playing, in the hanger outside Beijing.

I will say one thing about zep 2.0 the versions are getting shorter and more consumable, I personally am a fan of the extended jam 12 minute versions. Imagine however if Jimmy insisted on Jamming live, the IOC would have asked him how long the segment should be and Jimmy would say " were're gonna jam on it for a while and see what original riffs might spring to life, maybe 8 to 15 minutes , and we need 6 busses just for the amps.

Ok so Jimmy is not afraid to lend out a couple tracks for the mass media these days(puff diddy, cadilac, olympics) at least he is still relevent on a global level. I'd say more relevent.

The counter culture is merging with the mass media, a little weird for us die hard hippies but the times they are achangen.

Thanks for the info, excellent post.

Yep, the world keeps gettin' smaller...

I never said he was burned out or fading. He looks wonderful, but I wouldn't stretch it with "perfect health" though.

So there was no band actually playing in the Bird's Nest- it was just a rehearsal pic. I didn't think I was seeing (or hearing) things. Thanks for clearing this up. The needle is now back on the groove.

For the record, I'm all for change, but re-writing lyrics to songs like WLL for any reason is like taking a national anthem and making it "modern" with a rap beat, sirens and scratch. O Say Can U C The Star Spangled 'Bitch? That's lovely.

:rolleyes:

Is this approach really any different to what Zeppelin did with the old blues songs they covered/used/re-wrote (discussed at great length in another thread)? Music is wonderfully elastic. :D

Is this approach really any different to what Zeppelin did with the old blues songs they covered/used/re-wrote (discussed at great length in another thread)? Music is wonderfully elastic. :D

:unsure:

Nobody understands me today.

All I'm trying to say is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Going back to my happy place now.

Bye.

Seeing any of them play,in any form or indeed format,is worth everything.

"gonna miss me when I'm gone". (apologies to the Dead)

Red wine can induce melancholy on occasion.

Gonna miss your baby from rolling in your arms! :D

Thanks for that. He looks like he's having such a good time. Glad you got to see it.

You're right, the dancers were very theatrical.

So, planning on going over the pond in 2012? I'm getting noises of assent from my husband, to my surprise and delight.

Who? Me? No. To be honest, I would much prefer to see Jimmy play live at least one more time. I'm one of the people who doesn't care who he is with or where he plays but I would love to be there. I would hate to have to wait for 2012 for that to happen.

I was fortunate to see Robert play live three years ago (and heard him speak and got a glimpse of him in a club and saw him on the street) so, if fate has it that I never see him live again, at least it ended on a good note for me. I had a sense of closure too - I was finally able to get my head around the fact that it's Robert Plant - the same guy from the '70s. The last time I saw Jimmy live was at the ARMS concert and, given his condition, it wasn't the best circumstance. I'm still trying to accommodate my past and present images of Jimmy but I've gotten much better at it. Still, sometimes I look at recent pics of them and think, "Who are those guys and what happened to Robert and Jimmy from LZ?" Of course, if they saw my friends and me, they would probably think, "Who are those women and what happened to the young nubiles?" j/k ;)

I was fortunate to see Robert play live three years ago (and heard him speak and got a glimpse of him in a club and saw him on the street) so, if fate has it that I never see him live again, at least it ended on a good note for me. I had a sense of closure too - I was finally able to get my head around the fact that it's Robert Plant - the same guy from the '70s. The last time I saw Jimmy live was at the ARMS concert and, given his condition, it wasn't the best circumstance. I'm still trying to accommodate my past and present images of Jimmy but I've gotten much better at it. Still, sometimes I look at recent pics of them and think, "Who are those guys and what happened to Robert and Jimmy from LZ?" Of course, if they saw my friends and me, they would probably think, "Who are those women and what happened to the young nubiles?" j/k ;)

I know what you mean. B)

BTW, MSG :wave:

...and yes Joel , pickenpieces, I'm sure you do find it funny... maybe even feel the same way about yourself. I know that it happens from time to time with me.

:unsure:

Nobody understands me today.

ooh ooh let me try.

You've noticed that there's a lot of talk about miming, lip-syncing, re-writing, recording, going in blind, sound output, and rehearsals. There must be something funny going on for Jimmy to allow WLL to be used and for him to be involved. Because if you look at his track record in the past for putting Led Zeppelin in others hands, it just doesn't make sense for all of those rumors I mentioned to be true.

Is that what you mean?

If it is, then I think you make a good point.

If it isn't, then I think I make a good point. :D

If it is, then I think you make a good point.

If it isn't, then I think I make a good point. :D

:lol:

Yes, TOTALLY pre-recorded. Most likely for reasons twofold: Logistics and intention for release. Running a tape and having them mime takes a world of pressure off of the organizers. And if there was a poor performance it would affect potential sales. Simpler and more practical given the scope (and scale) of things.

Although Cirque du Soleil use live musicians! So, this is what my foot tastes like! :lol:

To me it's the equivalent of having commencement ceremonies with Pomp and Circumstance emanating from a recording, not the school band. I don't think that detail would be of consequence to the graduates or their families.

Of course, now I'm gonna get Del and pickenpieces saying "Yeah, but what if the band marched to the recording in a big procession?"

Can't win this one! :hysterical:

Archived