Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
SuperSlinky

Jimmy Page in Beijing

I'm just happy to see Jimmy doing something so monumental. That performance, even though mimed, was seen around the entire globe! You all must admit that it's a positive thing.

:of course, now I'm gonna get Del and pickenpieces saying "Yeah, but what if the band marched to the recording in a big procession?"

Come on Ev, they didn't even have a band at continution high school and you know it.

:P

Ross Halfin has put up a diary entry and photos of his trip to Beijing with Jimmy.

By the by, Ross's photos of the actual gig suck, but I guess he wasn't there on business.

Come on Ev, they didn't even have a band at continution high school and you know it.

:P

Now that's hitting below my NASCAR belt buckle that is!! :hysterical:

I did however get to play Crazy Train in front of the graduating class! :D

Take that Los Alamitos High with your pitiful little band!!!! :P

emperor.jpg

Ross Halfin has put up a diary entry and photos of his trip to Beijing with Jimmy.

By the by, Ross's photos of the actual gig suck, but I guess he wasn't there on business.

According to Ross, Jimmy was pretty much treated like a head of state. There is that image that China is very unfamiliar with western music, especially rock. But in his blog Ross says so many of the Chinese people recognized him and wanted their picture taken with JP. Maybe that perception is no longer true.

According to Ross, Jimmy was pretty much treated like a head of state. There is that image that China is very unfamiliar with western music, especially rock. But in his blog Ross says so many of the Chinese people recognized him and wanted their picture taken with JP. Maybe that perception is no longer true.

A typical western attitude, perpetuated by ignorance of other countries, their perceived cultural differences and (lack of) musical knowledge.

Even the Russian president is a Zeppelin fan so why wouldn't the Chinese also be aware?

After all they were part and parcel of the decadent west during the late 60's and 70's so just about everyone knew or had heard of them!

Of course he is well known in China and every other communist country for that matter.

Just because they're a communist regime doesn't mean they can CONTROL everything.

Over the last 50 years there have been millions of exchange students ALL around the world that would have been exposed to the music.

I'm almost positive they would have at least communicated with their families by mail!

The internet has been around for a long time now and word of mouth, what about shortwave radio or the telephone?

40 years ago I had to get my fix of Rock 'n' Roll late at night by crystal radio and this was supposed to be the "free" world!

Edited by Reggie29

A typical western attitude, perpetuated by ignorance of other countries, their perceived cultural differences and (lack of) musical knowledge.

Even the Russian president is a Zeppelin fan so why wouldn't the Chinese also be aware?

After all they were part and parcel of the decadent west during the late 60's and 70's so just about everyone knew or had heard of them!

Of course he is well known in China and every communist other country for that matter.

Just because they're a communist regime doesn't mean they can CONTROL everything.

Over the last 50 years there have been millions of exchange students ALL around the world that would have been exposed to the music.

I'm almost positive they would have at least communicated with their families by mail!

The internet has been around for a long time now and word of mouth, what about shortwave radio or the telephone?

40 years ago I had to get my fix of Rock 'n' Roll late at night by crystal radio and this was supposed to be the "free" world!

Well said Reggie, thanks.

To say the chinese are unfamiliar with western music? Hmmm...go into any bar in Sanlitun in Beijing, you'll hear some english songs, especially rock. :D

And the girls at the Chinese Super Idol female version competitions sing a lot in English and even Spanish and German.

Sure China is not a rock-country, but we are aware of it, that's to say at least.

And I think if I name some chinese musicians, most people here won't even know what instruments they play, though they're famous to million people as well.

Music, is a beautiful way to communicate with each other, even if you don't know their languages.

Of course he is well known in China and every other communist country for that matter.

On SBS television here in Australia some months ago, there was a documentary on how after the Second World War, students in Eastern bloc countries used to build their own radio sets and tune into Western music stations just to here the latest music trends.

Meg

I think it's more to do with western ignorance of Chinese culture, and not the other way around. I suppose we have been taught to think of the oppressive communists as preventing Western culture getting through, because not a lot of Chinese culture gets through to us (either because of their government or our media).

I think it's more to do with western ignorance of Chinese culture, and not the other way around. I suppose we have been taught to think of the oppressive communists as preventing Western culture getting through, because not a lot of Chinese culture gets through to us (either because of their government or our media).

If you think about it, we don't get a lot of culture from any other countries, except some of the English-speaking ones. Not many Portuguese or Argentinian or Swedish singers on the radio or movies in the muliplex, either!

I let my Chinese coworker borrow an assortment of CDs, but he only liked Zep's Physical Graffitti. This guy would just sit and play "Sounds of Silence" over and over, day after day, otherwise.

Was this the first time Page pretended to play, in front of a crowd - I would think?

It's rumored that when Nixon went to China in 1972, he brought the fourth album and a bootleg of the BBC shows ...

I wouldn't call thinking JP would be unkown in China ignorance as much as it seems a product of brainwashing we've had in the West about Communist countries. Russia/China aren't one and the same. From an American perspective, trade's been very wide open w/ China for a long time, despite the impression during the Olympics about China being closed and isolated, a forbidden country that allowed Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Yao Ming to leave but no one else.

Did you hear the roar of the crowd when JP dug into the Whole Lotta Love riff? They went nuts!!

It was the TV broadcasts that were saying that China was unfamiliar with western music as well as a lot of the online publications reviews of the show. I guess just ignorance. Also, they were saying how much applause David Beckam received vs JP. I heard plenty of cheering when he was playing WLL. Just one sided jornalism.

Who? Me? No. To be honest, I would much prefer to see Jimmy play live at least one more time. I'm one of the people who doesn't care who he is with or where he plays but I would love to be there. I would hate to have to wait for 2012 for that to happen.

I was fortunate to see Robert play live three years ago (and heard him speak and got a glimpse of him in a club and saw him on the street) so, if fate has it that I never see him live again, at least it ended on a good note for me. I had a sense of closure too - I was finally able to get my head around the fact that it's Robert Plant - the same guy from the '70s. The last time I saw Jimmy live was at the ARMS concert and, given his condition, it wasn't the best circumstance. I'm still trying to accommodate my past and present images of Jimmy but I've gotten much better at it. Still, sometimes I look at recent pics of them and think, "Who are those guys and what happened to Robert and Jimmy from LZ?" Of course, if they saw my friends and me, they would probably think, "Who are those women and what happened to the young nubiles?" j/k ;)

We're all just the way we used to be, on the inside. :D Maybe we know a little more now, too. nudge nudge wink wink say no more...

Strangely, I hadn't even thought about seeing Jimmy or Zep in 2012, just that it would be a great reason to visit London. I sincerely hope I have an opportunity to see Page and Jones live well before that!

It's rumored that when Nixon went to China in 1972, he brought the fourth album and a bootleg of the BBC shows ...

:lol:

Not to mention a bottle of Jack.

I wouldn't call thinking JP would be unkown in China ignorance as much as it seems a product of brainwashing we've had in the West about Communist countries. Russia/China aren't one and the same. From an American perspective, trade's been very wide open w/ China for a long time, despite the impression during the Olympics about China being closed and isolated, a forbidden country that allowed Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Yao Ming to leave but no one else.

Did you hear the roar of the crowd when JP dug into the Whole Lotta Love riff? They went nuts!!

Yes, and I think of all the Western countries, the US has the hardest time shedding their xenophobia and anti-communist hysteria.

Everyone seemed to be having a great time, and I must say Beijing looks like a beautiful modern city. Smoggy? Well, you shoulda seen Los Angeles in the 1960s!

Edited by SunChild

We're all just the way we used to be, on the inside. :D Maybe we know a little more now, too. nudge nudge wink wink say no more...

Strangely, I hadn't even thought about seeing Jimmy or Zep in 2012, just that it would be a great reason to visit London. I sincerely hope I have an opportunity to see Page and Jones live well before that!

Oh, I won't. Believe me. I won't. :shifty:

Hello all,

I'm surprised by viewing some responces to this topic that some of you think it was a cool thing for Mr. Page to play Whole Lotta Love with a manufactured ordinary popstar. Can't see other iconic guitarists doing that, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend etc.

I admire Jimmy Page so much, Led Zeppelin is an awesome unstoppable force but I'm afraid I lost a bit of credibility for him when he did that with Leona Lewis, rock & roll is suppose to be rebellious? That closing ceromony was shite, yeah Beckham kicked a ball, big fucking deal, he's shit these days anyway.

Everyone says how good Leona is, o.k yeah she has a good voice, but that's about it, and everyone says she's successful, well to be honest in England (which is her homeland) we don't really here fuck all from her.

I'm sorry but Jimmy Page was selling out big time when he played that corporate olympic due.

One more thing, and what the fuck has Pagey done with his hair, he looked a right tit. He's not in his 20's anymore.

See ya

(Mercurious @ Aug 28 2008, 11:28 AM)

I wouldn't call thinking JP would be unkown in China ignorance as much as it seems a product of brainwashing we've had in the West about Communist countries. Russia/China aren't one and the same

Brainwashed? Well, the Chinese leaders are oppressive. Facts are facts. Freedom of speech is so powerful, it toppled the once mighty Soviet Union, a history the Chinese gov’t won’t allow to be repeated. The Chinese gov't prevents their hard-working people from free speech access via the internet. They prevented Jimmy's song from going full length due to "offensive lyrics." The purpose of Communism is to prevent democratic ideals from influencing their people. How can we know the true Chinese culture (not what's out of a cup o' noodles) if we're prevented from having access to them except through clothes tags that read "made in China" ? You two seem to forget why we're prevented from knowing true Chinese culture in the first place.

Edited by zeptangerine

Hello all,

I'm surprised by viewing some responces to this topic that some of you think it was a cool thing for Mr. Page to play Whole Lotta Love with a manufactured ordinary popstar.

She's not manufactured, she's quite real, and her recent success is far from ordinary.

Can't see other iconic guitarists doing that, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend etc.

True - they weren't invited. What a great honour for Jimmy.

I admire Jimmy Page so much, Led Zeppelin is an awesome unstoppable force but I'm afraid I lost a bit of credibility for him when he did that with Leona Lewis, rock & roll is suppose to be rebellious?

Yeah when rock and roll started it WAS - for that generation. Now that generation are Jimmy's age and older. Who are they supposed to rebel against? 90 year olds? Zeppelin NEVER painted themselves as a rebellious, anti-establishment act.

That closing ceromony was shite, yeah Beckham kicked a ball, big fucking deal, he's shit these days anyway.

Beckham kicking a ball wasn't all that happened. You don't seem to understand symbolism. It was a symbolic handing over of the games. Tell us, what would you have prefered to have seen?

Everyone says how good Leona is, o.k yeah she has a good voice, but that's about it, and everyone says she's successful, well to be honest in England (which is her homeland) we don't really here fuck all from her.

That's absolutely laughable. In the UK alone she's had a massive number one album and two top ten singles this year. She's one of THE most successful UK female artists EVER with her album and single reaching Number 1 in many countries - you really ought to get better informed.

I'm sorry but Jimmy Page was selling out big time when he played that corporate olympic due.

Selling out what? What the heck do you mean by 'selling out'? He was MASSIVELY proud to represent his country - good for him!

And how was it corporate - it was fucking GLOBAL! How exactly was it corporate - do you even know what that means? What a bloody cliche.

One more thing, and what the fuck has Pagey done with his hair, he looked a right tit. He's not in his 20's anymore.

How many people do you know in their twenties with white hair in a pony tail?

I think Jimmy knows very well how old he is, and he was more than dignified. Coming on here and calling him "a right tit" is less than dignified, however.

See ya.

Hello all,

I'm surprised by viewing some responces to this topic that some of you think it was a cool thing for Mr. Page to play Whole Lotta Love with a manufactured ordinary popstar. Can't see other iconic guitarists doing that, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend etc.

I admire Jimmy Page so much, Led Zeppelin is an awesome unstoppable force but I'm afraid I lost a bit of credibility for him when he did that with Leona Lewis, rock & roll is suppose to be rebellious? That closing ceromony was shite, yeah Beckham kicked a ball, big fucking deal, he's shit these days anyway.

See ya

Oh I don't know - crosspollinations tend to work in ways you wouldn't expect, though maybe not in Beckham's case ... With Page, his work with ROCk people hasn't been so compelling at all (Black Crowes, Neil Young excepted), almost as if his collaborators have been too conscious of playing with Jimmy Page to really contribute much. Or they just weren't very good. I don't even want to mention them.

On the other hand, "Come with Me" was appallingly ... good! The Page-Puffy Combs performance on Saturday Night Live was one of the most powerful performances I've ever seen on a television show. And it was all about a Godzilla flick - how weird, but it worked. He wrote new music around this Beijing performance, too, just he like did with Combs, and that's probably why it worked. Those were all familiar Page themes. I thought she great for somebody influenced by Mariah Carey -- she seems to have more depth than that, though what do I know? I didn't even know who Leona Lewis was until I heard she was playing in Beijing with Jimmy.

How do you expect someone like Jimmy Page to work? It's not as though he's going to call up, say, John Lydon and they'll hang out at the Pub and become best buddies in six weeks and make a great new record, as interesting as that might turn out. If he's going to make music, it might as well be huge ... For this, he came upon perhaps the only stage bigger than a Led Zeppelin stage and played with a new world Aphrodite vision stalking out of the foam all cat-eyed and singing Whole Lotta Love to him. keep a coolin' baby

Oh I don't know - crosspollinations tend to work in ways you wouldn't expect, though maybe not in Beckham's case ... With Page, his work with ROCk people hasn't been so compelling at all (Black Crowes, Neil Young excepted), almost as if his collaborators have been too conscious of playing with Jimmy Page to really contribute much. Or they just weren't very good. I don't even want to mention them.

On the other hand, "Come with Me" was appallingly ... good! The Page-Puffy Combs performance on Saturday Night Live was one of the most powerful performances I've ever seen on a television show. And it was all about a Godzilla flick - how weird, but it worked. He wrote new music around this Beijing performance, too, just he like did with Combs, and that's probably why it worked. Those were all familiar Page themes. I thought she great for somebody influenced by Mariah Carey -- she seems to have more depth than that, though what do I know? I didn't even know who Leona Lewis was until I heard she was playing in Beijing with Jimmy.

How do you expect someone like Jimmy Page to work? It's not as though he's going to call up, say, John Lydon and they'll hang out at the Pub and become best buddies in six weeks and make a great new record, as interesting as that might turn out. If he's going to make music, it might as well be huge ... For this, he came upon perhaps the only stage bigger than a Led Zeppelin stage and played with a new world Aphrodite vision stalking out of the foam all cat-eyed and singing Whole Lotta Love to him. keep a coolin' baby

:cheer:

Right on!

I went into it also thinking Leona Lewis was nothing more than a manufactured pop star in a tight dress, and left liking her very much. You just hit the bulls eye on one of the reasons. Great performance on her part.