Jimmy Page in Beijing

Most of Jack White's material is original and "unlifted," although he has his influences like everybody else--but are you forgetting about people like Springsteen?? To say it was over in the late 70s seems just a touch blinkered. :unsure:

Springsteen? Most of that great stuff was in the 70's - Darkness was 1980? I thought Born in the USA was awful, maybe cuz I couldn't escape it - but definitely There are exceptions: Purple Rain, Appetite for Destruction, REM, Daydream Nation ... oh wait nobody heard that ...

I think it died when U Can Tune a Piano but U Can't Tune a Fish came out and it was decided that the Ramones and X weren't going to be played on the radio ... [insert emotican] There were always a few bands or something would come along to keep it going, to stave the off the inevitable, but the record industry has imploded and it has a lot to do with the art form -- the album -- being kinda difficult for most bands to pull off.

"The last American band .... to be played on the radio ..."

Springsteen? Most of that great stuff was in the 70's - Darkness was 1980? I thought Born in the USA was awful, maybe cuz I couldn't escape it - but definitely There are exceptions: Purple Rain, Appetite for Destruction, REM, Daydream Nation ... oh wait nobody heard that ...

The River was 1980, and there have been some great ones since then, including Magic.

The River was 1980, and there have been some great ones since then, including Magic.

OK. I'm not much of a fan, but I do really like some of the older stuff - the title track on The River for one. Interesting that he's coming up on a Zep forum. Rolling Stone in the mid-70's did a lot to build Bruce up as the street Americana antithesis of the british Rock star trip ... quite deliberately b/c there was no CSNY record that year or something ...

Well, I haven't heard a word from the chinese media about "sensoring". They only said the London Organizer had changed the lyrics a bit. The first time I knew it was from here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...r-Olympics.html

That's odd- no mention from the Chinese media about sensoring WLL? Here's a sample of what the western media have been printing high and low. Article after article says the Chinese Officials wanted to drop the verse with sexual connotations. Not the London Organizers. (This Telegraph article doesn't say it was the Brits who wanted those words cut, they just use the generic term 'organisers.')

That's odd- no mention from the Chinese media about sensoring WLL? Here's a sample of what the western media have been printing high and low. Article after article says the Chinese Officials wanted to drop the verse with sexual connotations. Not the London Organizers. (This Telegraph article doesn't say it was the Brits who wanted those words cut, they just use the generic term 'organisers.')

Nah, so it's difficult to tell. So that's the thing with journalism, never speak with clear words. -_-

But after all they did it in agreement.

Hello all,

I'm surprised by viewing some responces to this topic that some of you think it was a cool thing for Mr. Page to play Whole Lotta Love with a manufactured ordinary popstar. Can't see other iconic guitarists doing that, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend etc.

See ya

And I suppose you think Pete Townshend downloading pictures of naked children onto his computer was cool too.

Springsteen? Most of that great stuff was in the 70s - Darkness was 1980? I thought Born in the USA was awful, maybe cuz I couldnt escape it - but definitely There are exceptions: Purple Rain, Appetite for Destruction, REM, Daydream Nation ... oh wait nobody heard that ...

I think it died when U Can Tune a Piano but U Cant Tune a Fish came out and it was decided that the Ramones and X werent going to be played on the radio ... [insert emotican] There were always a few bands or something would come along to keep it going, to stave the off the inevitable, but the record industry has imploded and it has a lot to do with the art form -- the album -- being kinda difficult for most bands to pull off.

The last American band .... to be played on the radio ...

GREAT fuckin post!!!

Surely you realize ONE of those pieces of music was honored by the Library of Congress as a milestone in American recordings!

http://theresalduncan.typepad.com/witostai..._youth_mas.html

PLUS you listed one of my most abhored bands too. :lol:

Leona is credited as writing at least one of the songs on her album, which is actually really good albeit a tad overproduced but you can clearly hear the talent. That's not manufactured in her case at all.

That's good!

A step in the right direction.

I have an mp4 file of Jimmy's and Leona's performance and it includes brief after-concert comments from each of them. I would post it here but, unfortunately, it's too large for my photobucket so it truncates right before they speak. In addition to being incredibly beautiful and talented, Leona comes across as such a lovely, sweet, and humble person when she speaks. My friends and I commented that she is a breath of fresh air compared to many "pop stars" we've seen and heard. It was great to see and hear Jimmy post-performance - he looked so happy (as well he should be) and energized. :)

Thanks for that file MSG and I totally agree with you on the entire performance and post performance interview. :)

I am embarrassed to mention here how many times I have watched this vid of their performance and post-performance comments. :bagoverhead:

Don't worry because I am right there with you on that... ;)

Hello all,

I'm surprised by viewing some responces to this topic that some of you think it was a cool thing for Mr. Page to play Whole Lotta Love with a manufactured ordinary popstar. Can't see other iconic guitarists doing that, Keith Richards, Pete Townsend etc.

I admire Jimmy Page so much, Led Zeppelin is an awesome unstoppable force but I'm afraid I lost a bit of credibility for him when he did that with Leona Lewis, rock & roll is suppose to be rebellious? That closing ceromony was shite, yeah Beckham kicked a ball, big fucking deal, he's shit these days anyway.

You lost credibility? :huh:

Everyone says how good Leona is, o.k yeah she has a good voice, but that's about it, and everyone says she's successful, well to be honest in England (which is her homeland) we don't really here fuck all from her.

Yes, it's horrible when a singer has a good voice.

I'm sorry but Jimmy Page was selling out big time when he played that corporate olympic due.

One more thing, and what the fuck has Pagey done with his hair, he looked a right tit. He's not in his 20's anymore.

See ya

Yeah, if he'd been in his 30s, he'd have looked a left tit.

If you wanna read my first reply to this topic then look around page 14. I've got a bit of an ear bashing for some of the things I said.

I criticised Pagey's hair, slap my wrist. I'm sorry but when your a guy and get to 63/64 you don't tie your hair in a pony tale, it's just looks silly.

"Knebby" Yeah I DO admire Page but if he does something dumb I'll speak my mind. I'm sure there are other people on this earth that thought he looked stupid. So your saying if Jimmy Page did something you thought was real dumb you'd still think he was awesome would you?

Leona won't last, how many of these manufactured artists do, not a huge amount if you think about it. Loads of people can have an awesome voice with enough practice, but not loads of people can write truly awesome songs.

"Knebby" if you thought there were no corporate vibes at them games then obviously you were unaware that peoples house's were knocked down for the stadium to be built, and if they protested they were thrown in jail. Corporate? I think so.

"Knebby" And yes in my opinion I do think he sold out by doing what he did at the games. It sounds like it wasn't even being played live and was a recording, now come on, if that's not what manufactured pop artists do then what is.

Erm, yes I'm a huge huge fan of Zep and a very knowledgeable one too, but that doesn't mean your heros don't act like complete idiots from time to time.

And I think you'll find that "Pete Townsend" was found "not guilty" regarding the pics he had on his computer.

I criticised Pagey's hair, slap my wrist. I'm sorry but when your a guy and get to 63/64 you don't tie your hair in a pony tale, it's just looks silly.

You ever thought that being in a humid climate might not be the most comfortable situation for people with 'long' hair? I doubt he did it as a fashion statement. As I said earlier, he probably did it for the same reason I do when I'm warm - to keep it out the way.

Leona won't last, how many of these manufactured artists do, not a huge amount if you think about it. Loads of people can have an awesome voice with enough practice, but not loads of people can write truly awesome songs.

"Knebby" And yes in my opinion I do think he sold out by doing what he did at the games. It sounds like it wasn't even being played live and was a recording, now come on, if that's not what manufactured pop artists do then what is.

One was handpicked from a television talent show, the other has 40+ years worth of experience mixing, producing, performing and writing music. And now you're practically saying they are one and the same?

Just because he may have pre-recorded his bit, it does not mean he's a 'manufactured pop artist'. If he pre-recorded then surely it means he just did it earlier, does it not? It's not like he mimed someone else's playing. That's hardly manufactured, is it? It's just erring on the side of caution.

I rather reckon he'd take more offense to you implying he's become 'manufactured', then you bashing how he looks.

If you wanna read my first reply to this topic then look around page 14. I've got a bit of an ear bashing for some of the things I said.

I don't think it does.

"Knebby" Yeah I DO admire Page but if he does something dumb I'll speak my mind. I'm sure there are other people on this earth that thought he looked stupid. So your saying if Jimmy Page did something you thought was real dumb you'd still think he was awesome would you?

"Matty Page"I didn't say that anywhere. I answered you point by point and at no point did I say "Jimmy Page can do anything and still look awesome". :rolleyes:

"Matty Page" - Can I borrow your crystal ball?

"Knebby" if you thought there were no corporate vibes at them games then obviously you were unaware that peoples house's were knocked down for the stadium to be built, and if they protested they were thrown in jail. Corporate? I think so.

"Matty Page" you obviously haven't the faintest idea what "corporate" means.

I'd love to hear you play live in that kind of atmosphere on a moving bus. Nothing to do with "selling out" or "maufactured pop artists" at all.

Erm, yes I'm a huge huge fan of Zep and a very knowledgeable one too, but that doesn't mean your heros don't act like complete idiots from time to time.

I'm well aware of that "Matty Page". However, I don't think he did - and not one part of your post convinces me otherwise.

And I think you'll find that "Pete Townsend" was found "not guilty" regarding the pics he had on his computer.

I think you'll find Pete Townsend was not found "not guilty". He was never charged.

You ever thought that being in a humid climate might not be the most comfortable situation for people with 'long' hair? I doubt he did it as a fashion statement. As I said earlier, he probably did it for the same reason I do when I'm warm - to keep it out the way.

One was handpicked from a television talent show, the other has 40+ years worth of experience mixing, producing, performing and writing music. And now you're practically saying they are one and the same?

Just because he may have pre-recorded his bit, it does not mean he's a 'manufactured pop artist'. If he pre-recorded then surely it means he just did it earlier, does it not? It's not like he mimed someone else's playing. That's hardly manufactured, is it? It's just erring on the side of caution.

I rather reckon he'd take more offense to you implying he's become 'manufactured', then you bashing how he looks.

Agreed!! He wanted to do this performance and appeared to have a great time doing so! That is the most important thing and I say good for him!!

i think that jimmy acted like a dignified gentleman in his part and being interviewed afterwards, and that's what to be judged; his playing and participation in the performance. he did a good job in a strange situation. he looked ok and whatever bits he played were good

i too am puzzled by the organisers' choice of jimmy playing, pairing up with leona, and of the section overall, but i can see why he accepted, it is after all quite an honour to be asked to represent your own country in front of the world's audience. it's not like selling your soul to tv adverts, playing at the superbowl final or woodstock 23 etc, it's a higher level of invitation

whether the dancers, bus, leona lewis, beckham, chinese politics, or the overall designer's mental health was thought through is a seperate issue to whether jimmy was any good or not. he was, he appeared happy and everything else around it is another matter

maybe he wants to portray a new side to the world's media, maybe he just did it for a laugh and because they asked him to (and of course not to forget he is 1/4 chinese!) and it's something to tell his kids and grandkids in a few years time

i think that jimmy acted like a dignified gentleman in his part and being interviewed afterwards, and that's what to be judged; his playing and participation in the performance. he did a good job in a strange situation. he looked ok and whatever bits he played were good

i too am puzzled by the organisers' choice of jimmy playing, pairing up with leona, and of the section overall, but i can see why he accepted, it is after all quite an honour to be asked to represent your own country in front of the world's audience. it's not like selling your soul to tv adverts, playing at the superbowl final or woodstock 23 etc, it's a higher level of invitation

whether the dancers, bus, leona lewis, beckham, chinese politics, or the overall designer's mental health was thought through is a seperate issue to whether jimmy was any good or not. he was, he appeared happy and everything else around it is another matter

maybe he wants to portray a new side to the world's media, maybe he just did it for a laugh and because they asked him to (and of course not to forget he is 1/4 chinese!) and it's something to tell his kids and grandkids in a few years time

I like the idea of musicians from different backgrounds getting together to perform. Makes for some interesting collaborations. They have that show on CMT Crossroads based on that very premise.

next the conspiracy people will be saying that the Jimmy that went to China is not the same as the one that left. It is kind of weird that he shows up in China and the next thing you know he's miming.

I think you'll find Pete Townsend was not found "not guilty". He was never charged.

He was interviewed by detectives, issued with a caution, and placed on the Sex Offenders' Register in 2003.

"I'm a huge fan of Led Zeppelin BUT ..." Has this become the critics standard calling card? :rolleyes:

Meg

I have to say I agree with Mr. Tit on this one. (to some extent).

Leona Lewis is a really talented singer. Her performance with Jimmy alone shows that.

However, she is apart of the ever present manufacture of pop-stars. NO ONE CAN WRITE THEIR OWN MUSIC ANYMORE! Why? Because they don't know anything about music, they just know how to sing along and follow a script.

I always have more respect for rock-emo bands (which I hate!) that write their own music than pop-singers who don't, even if the pop-singers sound better!

With that being said, I still think it was a good collaboration. After all, Jimmy is a guitar player and Leona is a singer, so it works. And it was for national pride--another good cause.

But I'm not rushing out to buy a Leona Lewis album, or any pop star's music for that matter, until they start writing their own music---or put the names and faces of the people who wrote the music right on the front cover of their album.

Actually I agree with just about everything you've written... I ain't buying any Leona Lewis albums any time soon either... unless she's working with Jimmy, of course. :)

It's just, she surprised me with her talent both as a singer and a performer. Her voice is lovely, and I don't believe there are too many young female singers who could belt out (much less mime belting out) WWL to none other than Jimmy Fucking Page - looking beautiful, but still 41 years her senior - AND make it count, without either of them looking silly.

I'm still grinning about the whole thing. :D

Well yeah, I thought it was a good collaboration for a good cause.

I'm not upset that Jimmy and Leona did this, I'm proud.

But I'm not going to buy any Leona Lewis stuff because of it, that's all.

As for Plant doing albums of covers, I can't tell if you're talking about his solo career or time with Led Zeppelin.

Either way, I think he's well enough established to be able to have that type of creative license.

:D

(Careful, now...)

Yeah I agree that their hearts are into it. And I'm sure that there's even a high level of interpretation going on. I'm not saying they are void of any talent. I'm just saying that the dynamic of a group is more interesting to me.

I think the problem is that everyone wants to be a Rock Star, but not as many want to spend time developing their own talent or finding the right group of people to create with as a whole.

In essence, I think these people are selling out too soon. I think if you want to be good, you have to be patient, and not rush into anything just because you can sing well.

Don't try to force anything, and don't get desperate. There's always time to find the right time. I recall Jimmy Page recently responding to a question with something like "It's because I'm not desperate". The man is 60+ and he's not desperate. Now that's a model of integrity right there (but I didn't have to tell any of you that).

Go hang out somewhere where you can find other musicians with similar tastes and try to create something with them, and then sign a contract.

Don't sign a contract first, and then figure out what to sing.

I didn't get the Dylan reference if you could please explain.

Hear, hear! Kids nowadays! (Ahem.) But seriously, they sell their first damn song to companies for commercial use, anymore. Definitely hard to take such souls seriously.

Archived