Jimmy Page in Beijing

What's there not to understand about a double decker bus? London is crawling with them. It's symbolic of the town.

The little girl was chosen as the representative of Britain's children. She takes the ball of the 'world's' children and then crosses a zebra crossing (more British imagery), and gets on the bus. I actually thought it was like a little 'handover' for the British girl.

The London skyline was made of hay. Hay evokes the imagery of farmland, rolling hills, greenery, etc - all very British connotations.

It might be lost on some people, and maybe it's because I'm British, but I found it blatently obvious.

Er me to

Have to admit my first reaction to hearing JP was doing this was :o But then when I got my mind around it (takes a while at this age) it the anticipation was pretty exciting. Having seen many opening & closing ceremonies, it was obvious this would be no less of a whiz-bang spectacle that they all are.

Was it a JP sell-out? Maybe; but I agree with others that it was a real honor for him to be asked to do this, and I believe he said as much as that in an interview recently. Not knowing a thing about LL, I think she did a great job and looked fantastic next to JP (but don't get too comfortable there, girl). So all the JP stuff was way cool and it's great to see him truly enjoying himself so much and looking like the essence of cool that he is.

But........ HOLY FIREWORKS BATMAN!!! Wish I was there to see that in person! I would have happily shared a brew(s) with JP to keep him company whilst watching the lightshow, since his travelling chum may very well have been off perusing the Great Wall.

And, You Are the Man Jackie Chan!! Looked like he was havin a ball!

So he had a POLE-LOCKing him down? :huh:

No offense to true Pols! Just being goofy! :bagoverhead:

Can someone tell me what guitar Jimmy was "playing" can't think he would have taken No1 to Beijing? I thought he looked great.

Sure it was probably one of his replicas. No1 is too priceless to travel, and when you have an exact replica, why not use it right?

I Dont get excited seeing him I get excited hearing his music, that performance was not his music, Plus what ever happened to the rebel in him he would told china to stick it in his younger days. The sell out is not only in his music but his ideals

Who's music was it then? Whole Lotta Love as a handover from China to Britain. The baton (and soccer ball) has been passed! On to the future! Why so negative?

And why would he tell China to "stick it" in his younger days?

Maybe he just likes the food! :D

File0688.jpg

what bullshit is that for human rights he is taking baton back to GB, why wasnt robert plant there, because he believes in human rights

FYI - Robert Plant toured China extensively as a tourist in 1997 and probably spent a few quid on the local economy while doing so.

I Dont get excited seeing him I get excited hearing his music, that performance was not his music, Plus what ever happened to the rebel in him he would told china to stick it in his younger days. The sell out is not only in his music but his ideals

Ouch....sounds like you need a hug. Cheer up - we all have human rights issues currently, or in the past, that are near and dear to our hearts, and many, many of us have put ourselves way out there to support and defend these issues over the years.

But we're all at this particular website for the music - just like you.

Love ya!

What exactly are you here to say, anyway? :huh:

It sounds as if he's wondering aloud why we can't all be like Sting. Well, some of us don't want to be and no one is obliged to be.

What you heard Jimmy Page perform in Beijing was in fact an anthem. Music moves

people in profound ways and we have no idea how this will resonate within those who have seen and heard it in times to come.

what bullshit is that for human rights he is taking baton back to GB, why wasnt robert plant there, because he believes in human rights

Robert does a lot with various charities and has over the years. Which ones he chooses to support are up to him. Not to mention things he might do that aren't talked about.

I'm aware that there are issues with human rights between Tibet in China, and I am in no way going to try and minimize those issues. It just so happened that this years games were awarded to China. The athletes have no say where the games will be held. They train hard and show up to compete. I don't think it'd be fair to have them pay the price for issues between China and Tibet. Same thing goes for those who are chosen to perform or be part of it.

Yes, the olympics were scheduled for China and much preparations made long before these political misfortunes arose. It is a pity these things have happened. I think we all feel for the Tibetans. But I think it was just timing and these things should remain separate, The Olympics should represent world unity. These should be the moments when all that is put aside. We are one world, and the Olympics remind us of that. Sadly just a blip on the radar of finger pointing and oppression.

But it's over now, so I guess we can get back to finger pointing and oppression. What a pity.

As I recall, China was amongst those who boycotted the olympics in 1980, alongside the states.

I don't think the Olympics should ever be the focus of political differences. It represents world unity and pride.

The politicians take up the rest of the years between. Let 'em talk. Then let 'em shut up for a few weeks.

That's just my humble opinion. :beer:

I think they asked Leona Lewis first, and Jimmy said "Yeah"

Possibly so, but insofar as Jimmy knew he relates he was intially approached only about allowing the use of the song, then it was suggested he could perform, and THEN he was informed Leona Lewis was going to be singing it.

Yeah, the Chinese have got it all in front of them after Jimmy! :D

YEAH!! I’m Chinese, I’m Beijinger! Proud to see Jimmy Page on stage here! It’s the first time he came around. I and my friends just long for watching the performance of him on the whole ceremony. Bravo the Britishes!

I watched it home instead of at the live, but there’s rare applause for him thru the TV, much less than Beckham. He’s quite infamous here.

But for me, it’s amazing!!

Del, we'll face off later. And elsewhere. ;)

Come on Ev, being a Led Zeppelin fan means being able to critisize them when they are less than exceptional too.

And just to clear my mind of that bad performance by Page I'm going to watch your guitar solo video of the 'Lemon Jam' at Hermosa Beach again, and have a beer just in honor of you bud.

:beer:

(not an Ev's beer but cheers anyway)

;)

Come on Ev, being a Led Zeppelin fan means being able to critisize them when they are less than exceptional too.

And just to clear my mind of that bad performance by Page I'm going to watch your guitar solo video of the 'Lemon Jam' at Hermosa Beach again, and have a beer just in honor of you bud.

Aw crap. Layed naked for all to see! :lol:

BTW, did you really think it so bad (I mean Page at the Olympics)? I mean in the sense that he had to work within the constaints of the choreography? But in the big picture, wasn't it great to see him out there representing the thing that brought us together in the first place?

Aw crap. Layed naked for all to see! :lol:

Yeah, well you've been naked for all to see plenty of times before.

BTW, did you really think it so bad (I mean Page at the Olympics)? I mean in the sense that he had to work within the constaints of the choreography? But in the big picture, wasn't it great to see him out there representing the thing that brought us together in the first place?

I just didn't like it. Almost as painful to both the ears and eyes as Aerosmith and N'Sync doing Walk This Way at the Superbowl half time show a few years back. The show that comedian Lewis Black said he shoved a pencil in his ear, just so that his ear could experience the same pain his eyes were having. :lol:

Page doesn't need to "represent" or prove anything to me. The fear now has to be that he can only harm his image and legacy by 'selling out' like I said before. These types of appearances are sort of cheap in my opinion. I hate seeing him doing this, as much as I think it would have been a mistake for any iconic figure to do the same. Like having Frank Sinatra, or someone of that caliber, appear out of cake or something at a half time show. I just don't expect it from members of Led Zeppelin. They had such a history of avoiding shameless commercial stunts like these.

Be honest, this was a display more suitable to a Peter Frampton or better yet, Peter Noone from Herman's Hermits type. Not the great Jimmy Page.

Had it been some crass commercial exercise like endorsing some cola product or whatever, I certainly would have been disappointed.

Selling out is a bit harsh, don't you think?

I bet he would have been tempted and offered plenty over the years to use his music, yet didn't.

This was different, this was about his home town, his country, taking control of the

Olympic Games.

More power to him for having a go and putting it out there for his homeland.

Sure the sound could have been better but the sights were certainly pleasing!

If you didn't like it, fine, just do us all a favour and let those that did, enjoy the moment.

Who knows where or when, the next time he plays?

It's a pity people can't forget about politics for two weeks while the games are

on.

They represent the smaller nations who suffer from some form of adversity be it

natural or man made.

Tell me that doesn't raise a smile for them!

I wonder if the Kenyan who won the marathon had ever heard of Jimmy before

last night?

He knows who he is now!

Had it been some crass commercial exercise like endorsing some cola product or whatever, I certainly would have been disappointed.

Selling out is a bit harsh, don't you think?

I bet he would have been tempted and offered plenty over the years to use his music, yet didn't.

This was different, this was about his home town, his country, taking control of the

Olympic Games.

More power to him for having a go and putting it out there for his homeland.

Sure the sound could have been better but the sights were certainly pleasing!

If you didn't like it, fine, just do us all a favour and let those that did, enjoy the moment.

Who knows where or when, the next time he plays?

It's a pity people can't forget about politics for two weeks while the games are

on.

They represent the smaller nations who suffer from some form of adversity be it

natural or man made.

Tell me that doesn't raise a smile for them!

I wonder if the Kenyan who won the marathon had ever heard of Jimmy before

last night?

He knows who he is now!

No I don't think that the "selling out" comment was too harsh. Besides the fact that I think the Chinese government is adverse to many of the ideals of free expression and independent thought that I'm sure Mr. Page values. It still wasn't even a very good performance.

My fan credentials with Led Zeppelin are pretty much without question. But as a fan I am entitled to make a critisism where I think it is appropriate.

And why Whole Lotta Love? Who figured that was a good song for this theme? Did they pick the song just because of the reference to "love' in the title? Everyone know that the theme of the song is not about 'romantic love' but SEX.

sorry dude, but my opinion is just as valid as yours.

Archived