The Bootleg Series

Minstrel

I think it is time for Zep to start releasing some rare shows and even studio outtakes. Something along the lines of what Columbia has done with Bob Dylan, or the Doors bright midnight archives label. If people are going to hunt down boots of their stuff anyway, why not make some of this stuff avaliable officially? Thoughts?

I think it is time for Zep to start releasing some rare shows and even studio outtakes. Something along the lines of what Columbia has done with Bob Dylan, or the Doors bright midnight archives label. If people are going to hunt down boots of their stuff anyway, why not make some of this stuff avaliable officially? Thoughts?

Seeing as there is more Zep boot out there than any other artist (can't verity those figures, but I'd be willing to bet that it is true), it's just kind of unnecessary for them to do it. The music is already out there.

Actually...

I have been thinking about this.

Like, they wouldn't even need to start releasing accoustic takes but man, they could easily fill an album with good outtakes. I was pretty impressed on the mastering work they did on Baby Come On Home. The technology is ripe.

Now, let's see - i can think of... 13~20 unique recordings (Like hell i will openly name then! Sorry but this is Page's stuff after all and most of important ones, too.) which could do for a one Land Of The Rising Sun... and to that, add some good live recordings and there you go.

Also, right now i am only counting the known songs released as bootlegs and not the things left at Page's vault.

Now, they have stuff left so why not to release them?

1. I think it's because Page feels that some stuff might do an copyright infrighment at worst,

2. Some stuff is not played well enough (man, i wish he could just FORGET this side sometimes when he releases stuff: i would rather listen to authentic Zeppelin gig than let's say, a heavily edited TSRTS show which uses 4 to 5 different sources...!),

3. The masters are not in enough good quality...

4. He feels that some stuff shouldn't be released as it reveals the earliers versions of a song? Idk really.

But i would pay anything to get a cd full of outtakes stuff. Officially released i mean.

Seeing as there is more Zep boot out there than any other artist (can't verity those figures, but I'd be willing to bet that it is true), it's just kind of unnecessary for them to do it. The music is already out there.

Absolute Total Tosh!!!, I don't mean to be offensive in anyway, but Zeppelin are no way near the most bootlegged artists, that honour belongs to Bob Dylan, who was also the first artist to be bootlegged in any really substantial way as we know it today, The Grateful Dead are are probably second on that score, but artists like Springsteen, Little Feat, Phish to name another 3 are way out there above Zep. Just go and look at the bootleg listing sites for those and other artists and look at how extensive the listings are compared to those for Zep.

Also Zep fans can be obsessive, but they are in a different league of Obsessiveness to that of Dylan & the Dead now those guys are just not Normal, I'm a Dylan fan but I not obsessive in any way, but I love going on the Dylan site's such as http://expectingrain.com/discussions/ to make me realise how Normal I am, those guy's are something else & it's a good laugh reading what they talk about.

Archived