IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR

A very underrated album. High points for me would be "In the Evening" and "All My Love". "Carouselambra" would have been a killer track live. Perhaps some of the keyboards sound dated, which brings down the album a notch.

I am a huge fan of In Through The Out Door. Great tracks like Fool In The Rain, Hot Dog, All My Love. What do you guys think?

Not their best effort.

From Wikipedia:

In contrast to previous Led Zeppelin albums, In Through the Out Door features much greater influence on the part of bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones and vocalist Robert Plant, and relatively less from drummer John Bonham and guitarist Jimmy Page. Two songs from the album — "South Bound Saurez" and "All My Love" — were the only two original Led Zeppelin songs which Jimmy Page had no part in writing. With the exception of "Darlene," a Boogie-Woogie based song credited to all band members (which was eventually released on the 1982 album, Coda), Bonham did not receive writing credits for any of the songs recorded at Polar Studios. This diminished input by Page and Bonham is attributed to the two band members often not showing up on time at the recording studio, with Bonham struggling with alcoholism and Page battling heroin addiction.] Many of the songs were consequently put together by Plant and Jones during the day, with Page and Bonham adding their parts late at night.

As Jones said:

“ There were two distinct camps by then, and we [myself and Plant] were in the relatively clean one. ”

Both Page and Bonham later expressed reservations about the album. In an interview he gave to Guitar World magazine in 1998, Page stated that he and Bonham:

“ ...both felt that In Through the Out Door was a little soft. I wasn't really keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, that's not us. That's not us. In its place it was fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to pursue that direction in the future."

Last Sunday morning Sydney FM station Vega 95.3 played the album in it's entirety.

I tought it was ironic considering Jimmy's limited involvement on the record and the fact he was appearing later that night, it was an interesting selection.

If nothing else it showcased Jonesy's song writing abilities, whether by circumstance or design.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Killer album. IMHO.

In The Evening would make a good opening song of the NEXT tour!

Reminds me of the days past when radio station 2SM used to have a late night album show and play them in its entirety... unlike the limp format they've had for the past two decades.

Meg

Last Sunday morning Sydney FM station Vega 95.3 played the album in it's entirety.

I tought it was ironic considering Jimmy's limited involvement on the record and the fact he was appearing later that night, it was an interesting selection.

If nothing else it showcased Jonesy's song writing abilities, whether by circumstance or design.

Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Killer album. IMHO.

In The Evening would make a good opening song of the NEXT tour!

Reminds me of the days past when radio station 2SM used to have a late night album show and play them in its entirety... unlike the limp format they've had for the past two decades.

Meg

2SM eh?

They were the "official" radio station when Zeppelin toured in 1972.

If you have any footage of the concert you will see the logo on a banner atop the back of the stage.

2SM morphed into Triple M FM in early 1980 I think it was and they still broadcast on the AM band today.

It's funny on the timing of this thread.For I have been knee deep into this Album for about a month.

My 2 cents.

Great Album,it has everything you want in a Zeppelin Album,the Blues, Light and Shade, everything.

This is a more mature Zeppelin coming to the end of the 70's the band were going into their 30's and

they had experienced an awful lot. And you could hear it in Robert's Lyrics, that he had overcome a

lot of adversity.And even though Jimmy had his problems during this time there is no denying he laid

down some great solos and riffs.The same goes for John,just listen to the Drums on Fool In The Rain.

To me it is a great album as a whole not just a couple of tracks but the whole thing works for me.

And I hope if the band does reunite that Robert uses this vocal style because it works.

He does'nt have to try and whale like he had done in his earlier zep days.

2SM eh?

They were the "official" radio station when Zeppelin toured in 1972.

If you have any footage of the concert you will see the logo on a banner atop the back of the stage.

2SM morphed into Triple M FM in early 1980 I think it was and they still broadcast on the AM band today.

2SM and Triple M are owned by two different networks (Super Radio and Melbourne based company Austereo), they didn't morph.

Meg

A very underrated album. High points for me would be "In the Evening" and "All My Love". "Carouselambra" would have been a killer track live. Perhaps some of the keyboards sound dated, which brings down the album a notch.

I disagree. The synthesizer JPJ used for the '80 tour sounded like absolute shit live. It negatively affected Kashmir and The Rain Song (the Mellotron sounded far superior) and All My Love didn't come across well either. The only songs from ITTOD that would've sounded good live: In The Evening because it was guitar driven; Fool In The Rain and Southbound Suarez because they had piano instead of synthesizers. This is of course my opinion.

I disagree. The synthesizer JPJ used for the '80 tour sounded like absolute shit live. It negatively affected Kashmir and The Rain Song (the Mellotron sounded far superior) and All My Love didn't come across well either. The only songs from ITTOD that would've sounded good live: In The Evening because it was guitar driven; Fool In The Rain and Southbound Suarez because they had piano instead of synthesizers. This is of course my opinion.

The mellotron was an unreliable instrument, and yes of course that's your opinion.

Never trusted Wikipedia. Too much vandalism and unsubstantiated POVs. There is an editor there called Edelmand who has done nothing but add out-of-context quotes to articles creating false impressions on what happened.

Never trusted Wikipedia. Too much vandalism and unsubstantiated POVs. There is an editor there called Edelmand who has done nothing but add out-of-context quotes to articles creating false impressions on what happened.

Thank you Meg--as Wikipedia's greatest foe, I hereby nominate you for sainthood. Keep carrying that torch! :D

Zeppelin's worst? Maybe. Maybe not. Matter of taste really. It was definitely the best album of its year in the opinion of my high school crowd! :D

It was a more mature Zep, and as a more matured Evster (I hope), I've grown to love it more and more over the years. My band covers no less than three songs from it.

I also wish to address the comment about In the Evening live being guitar driven. Every boot I have has a very strong synth presence. Much moreso than the album version. It's almost annoying on some recordings.

And yes, Mellotrons can be a major pain in the ass. The strings sound better becuase they're tape loops of actual strings recorded. But they're extremely prone to problems when lugged from stage to stage. I don't know how Robert Fripp has managed all these years!

Zeppelin's worst? Maybe. Maybe not. Matter of taste really. It was definitely the best album of its year in the opinion of my high school crowd! :D

Given the musical climate at the time with punk almost dead and disco dying, eg Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in Chicago, ITTOD was like a breath of fresh scandinavian air.

Whats the name of your band btw?

Given the musical climate at the time with punk almost dead and disco dying, eg Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park in Chicago, ITTOD was like a breath of fresh scandinavian air.

Whats the name of your band btw?

Valhalla (speaking of fresh Scandanavian air, lol). There's vids on YouTube. Search Evster2012. Sorry they're only from our very first gig a few years ago. Not our best effort, but if you can be bothered, they're there. :beer:

2SM and Triple M are owned by two different networks (Super Radio and Melbourne based company Austereo), they didn't morph.

Meg

I stand corrected, it was Rod Muir who left 2SM and started MMM and many of the DJ's joined him at MMM that confused me.

It was 30 years ago and I bet there aren't many on this board who remember or were actually at the free gigs 2SM put on.

Thin Lizzy in 1978 on the steps the Opera House drew 100000 people.

Reg.

I stand corrected, it was Rod Muir who left 2SM and started MMM and many of the DJ's joined him at MMM that confused me.

It was 30 years ago and I bet there aren't many on this board who remember or were actually at the free gigs 2SM put on.

Thin Lizzy in 1978 on the steps the Opera House drew 100000 people.

Reg.

And also the Concert of the Decade on November 4, 1979, with just about every major Australian performer there including a fantastic performance of Stevie Wright's... with the Hammond sisters singing back-up. 180,000 in attendance.

Almost all of the tour programmes issued in Australia during the 1970s had a blue coloured background picture of Robert Plant on stage with a 2SM & 3XY logo at the top, on the back cover.

The rot at 2SM set in when Ian McRae, George Moore, and David White all left within months of each other in 1983.

Meg

And also the Concert of the Decade on November 4, 1979, with just about every major Australian performer there including a fantastic performance of Stevie Wright's... with the Hammond sisters singing back-up. 180,000 in attendance.

Almost all of the tour programmes issued in Australia during the 1970s had a blue coloured background picture of Robert Plant on stage with a 2SM & 3XY logo at the top, on the back cover.

The rot at 2SM set in when Ian McRae, George Moore, and David White all left within months of each other in 1983.

Meg

Yeah I was at that one too, I think only AC/DC and LRB were missing.

I was listening to ITTOD at the time!

They put on good shows.

Better than London Calling and The Wall?

.... Get outta here!

:D

I've grown to love it more and more over the years. My band covers no less than three songs from it.

That's interesting Ev. I've heard my fair share of Zep cover bands over the years, and I don't recall any of them doing a track from ITTOD. But good for you guys for going outside the norm... really!

Do you know if SZ's band covers any of ITTOD?

Gotta hand it to some of you fans of ITTOD... at least you stick to your guns.

:lol:

Archived