IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR

I am a huge fan of In Through The Out Door. Great tracks like Fool In The Rain, Hot Dog, All My Love. What do you guys think?

How's it going "Tangerine66?" "In Through The Out Door" is considered by many Rock critics to be ZEPPELIN'S less inspired album to date. I remembered when the album was released in 1979, the critics hated it. In my opinion, when you think about it years later, "In Through The Out Door" was a very underrated album. That album was recorded by the band with pure heart and emotion ALONE! Then again, NO ONE figured that ZEPPELIN would ever record an album again in 1978-79 considering the circumstances along with the belief that the critics believed that ZEPPELIN was washed up and finished. LED ZEPPELIN proved the critics wrong THEN just like they did NOW! ROCK ON!

How's it going "Tangerine66?" "In Through The Out Door" is considered by many Rock critics to be ZEPPELIN'S less inspired album to date. I remembered when the album was released in 1979, the critics hated it. In my opinion, when you think about it years later, "In Through The Out Door" was a very underrated album. That album was recorded by the band with pure heart and emotion ALONE! Then again, NO ONE figured that ZEPPELIN would ever record an album again in 1978-79 considering the circumstances along with the belief that the critics believed that ZEPPELIN was washed up and finished. LED ZEPPELIN proved the critics wrong THEN just like they did NOW! ROCK ON!

I totally agree!! I absolutely love this album. To me, it shows what direction they were headed in welcoming the 80's. B)

I also wish to address the comment about In the Evening live being guitar driven. Every boot I have has a very strong synth presence. Much moreso than the album version. It's almost annoying on some recordings.

I wasn't referring to the live version being guitar driven. I've heard the live recordings too and I also found the loud synths annoying. If the synthesizer had been dialed down there would have been an improvement which is something that could be done on In The Evening since it is the guitar riff that carries the song. But that couldn't be done with Carouselambra. Unfortunately the electronics of the day weren't up to the task of replicating Carouselambra (or All My Love) live all that well.

But that couldn't be done with Carouselambra. Unfortunately the electronics of the day weren't up to the task of replicating Carouselambra (or All My Love) live all that well.

It wouldn't need to be note-for-note studio replication. When "Stairway to Heaven" was first played live, John Paul Jones used a Hammond organ instead of the studio bass recorders, which created an interesting cathedral effect on the song, quite unlike the album version. The band adapted to the live situation as they would have done so for "Carouselambra".

Meg

Better than London Calling and The Wall?

.... Get outta here!

:D

That's interesting Ev. I've heard my fair share of Zep cover bands over the years, and I don't recall any of them doing a track from ITTOD. But good for you guys for going outside the norm... really!

Do you know if SZ's band covers any of ITTOD?

Gotta hand it to some of you fans of ITTOD... at least you stick to your guns.

:lol:

Yeah, The Wall was right up there! And certainly there was a more punk faction that was into London Calling. Parking lot wars! But we were so stoked that Zeppelin was back, it was intoxicating. There was such a buzz! I love The Wall. Always have. And I came to like The Clash over time. But as a fellow SoCal boy from the same era, you know it amounted to a sort of stoner vs jock fight (not that the wavers were jocks. Just factions. We didn't listen to theirs, and they didn't listen to ours)! Dazed and Confused indeed! :lol:

As for Steve Z, I believe they do In the Evening, Fool in the Rain, Hot Dog and All My Love. ;)

It wouldn't need to be note-for-note studio replication. When "Stairway to Heaven" was first played live, John Paul Jones used a Hammond organ instead of the studio bass recorders, which created an interesting cathedral effect on the song, quite unlike the album version. The band adapted to the live situation as they would have done so for "Carouselambra".

Meg

I'm not talking about a note-for-note replication but the low quality of the sound of the synthesizers live. They sounded terrible. A song is much more than a collection of notes, chords and lyrics. It's also how it sounds. Get a recording of some of the 1980 shows. Listen to The Rain Song. Listen to All My Love. The synthesizer doesn't sound much better than MIDI. The problem wouldn't have been the arrangement but the awful synthesizer that dominates most of the song. If All My Love wasn't adapted well to being played live why would a longer more complex song like Carouselambra be? The technology of the early 80's wasn't up to a quality rendition of the song live. I'm sure it would sound a lot better now, though.

I'm not talking about a note-for-note replication but the low quality of the sound of the synthesizers live. They sounded terrible. A song is much more than a collection of notes, chords and lyrics. It's also how it sounds. Get a recording of some of the 1980 shows. Listen to The Rain Song. Listen to All My Love. The synthesizer doesn't sound much better than MIDI. The problem wouldn't have been the arrangement but the awful synthesizer that dominates most of the song. If All My Love wasn't adapted well to being played live why would a longer more complex song like Carouselambra be? The technology of the early 80's wasn't up to a quality rendition of the song live. I'm sure it would sound a lot better now, though.

You left this off at the end of your message: "This is of course my opinion." I'm not into sound fascism, it limits your listening pleasure.

I am a huge fan of In Through The Out Door. Great tracks like Fool In The Rain, Hot Dog, All My Love. What do you guys think?

In the Evening - Killer track!! Led Zeppelin is back in town! The "Chinese intro" is hauntingly beautiful and heavy at the same time, and Pagey's solo is proud (whammy bar explodes), angry and mournful. Plant is aching and lets the listener know of his heavy heart.

Southbound Suarez - Zep trying to do a sped-up New Orleans shuffle could have been made so much better with a much heavier mix. Great guitar solo that's been underrated throughout the years, though.

Fool in the Rain - Plant writes lyrics that are either childish (oh, oh oh, oh oh oh... you don't have to go) or very inspired (Stairway, Achilles, etc.). Unfortunately, he writes uninspired lyrics for this one that detract from the great music -- I'm always bored with this song until Bonzo blows that whistle in the middle of the song and then it starts to move!

Hot Dog - The humorous song of the album not to be taken seriously. Page even screws up the solo but you wouldn't have it any other way. Not bad.

Carouselambra - Now Plant is writing great lyrics. Great song, not a classic, but damn close. The drone middle section could have maybe been shortened a little bit, and the final third stretched out a little more.

All My Love - If indeed about Plant's son, then we should respect its intent. Does contain a beautiful synth solo by Jonesy.

I'm Gonna Crawl - The band really shines on this one. Great vocals, great musicianship.

OUTTAKES:

Ozone Baby: Good decision to leave it off the album, but it does have a nice bridge (for the sake of James Brown, no more confounded bridge jokes).

Darlene - Should have been included on In Through the Out Door tracks. Never heard a heavier piano and guitar playing rhythm together before the song transitions to the 1950s boogie outro.

Wearing and Tearing - Again, Should have been included on In Through the Out Door tracks. Medication!!

Do what thou wilt with my review...

Edited by dpat

In the Evening - Killer track!! Led Zeppelin is back in town! The "Chinese intro" is hauntingly beautiful and heavy at the same time, and Pagey's solo is proud (whammy bar explodes), angry and mournful. Plant is aching and lets the listener know of his heavy heart.

Southbound Suarez - Zep trying to do a sped-up New Orleans shuffle could have been made so much better with a much heavier mix. Great guitar solo that's been underrated throughout the years, though.

Fool in the Rain - Plant writes lyrics that are either childish (oh, oh oh, oh oh oh... you don't have to go) or very inspired (Stairway, Achilles, etc.). Unfortunately, he writes uninspired lyrics for this one that detract from the great music -- I'm always bored with this song until Bonzo blows that whistle in the middle of the song and then it starts to move!

Hot Dog - The humorous song of the album not to be taken seriously. Page even screws up the solo but you wouldn't have it any other way. Not bad.

Carouselambra - Now Plant is writing great lyrics. Great song, not a classic, but damn close. The drone middle section could have maybe been shortened a little bit, and the final third stretched out a little more.

All My Love - If indeed about Plant's son, then we should respect its intent. Does contain a beautiful synth solo by Jonesy.

I'm Gonna Crawl - The band really shines on this one. Great vocals, great musicianship.

OUTTAKES:

Ozone Baby: Good decision to leave it off the album, but it does have a nice bridge (for the sake of James Brown, no more confounded bridge jokes).

Darlene - Should have been included on In Through the Out Door tracks. Never heard a heavier piano and guitar playing rhythm together before the song transitions to the 1950s boogie outro.

Wearing and Tearing - Again, Should have been included on In Through the Out Door tracks. Medication!!

Do what thou wilt with my review...

excellent post.

i agree with most.

i do disagree with your opinion of 'fool in the rain' lyrics.

i think they serve the song perfectly.

also, i pass on the inclusion of darlene....

I remember when the album came out in August of 1979. A popular Seattle AOR (Album Oriented Rock) radio station played it in its entirety (Radio stations could do that back then). The radio station then opened up the phone lines for listener reviews and most of the people gave a thumbs down to the album. One listener even said: "I think they should give it up!". The response was dissapointing, but hardly scientific. I still thought it was a better effort than the 1976 'Presence' album.

Edited by EtherealAirship

perhaps....but their weakest was miles better than everyone elses' best...by a country mile.

Your loyalty is commendable, but whilst I regularly still play the album, and it has some excellent qualities, you seem to be saying that this is in the Top Ten albums of all time in your opinion. Now PG has been number 1 in my opinion since release and I would definitely place two other Zep albums top 5, with probably 5 in the top ten, but I cannot get ITTOD anywhere close to being in there.

I would be very interested to get opinions of this album if it were the sole LZ release, I fear that to few people would actually have heard it.

Your loyalty is commendable, but whilst I regularly still play the album, and it has some excellent qualities, you seem to be saying that this is in the Top Ten albums of all time in your opinion. Now PG has been number 1 in my opinion since release and I would definitely place two other Zep albums top 5, with probably 5 in the top ten, but I cannot get ITTOD anywhere close to being in there.

I would be very interested to get opinions of this album if it were the sole LZ release, I fear that to few people would actually have heard it.

20 minutes of this album is up there with the best stuff that zep recorded, the other 20 minutes is satistactory, id say overall, the best album ive heard from '79.

we know music is subjective, i dont think music is about top 10 lists, it's about listening to it and enjoying it.

my loyalty is to my ears. only.

i never said a top ten of all time.

better than sgt. pepper? yep.

better than tattoo you? yep.

better than who are you? absolutely.

abbey road? nope.

exile? nope.

innervisions? nope.

PG? LZ1? 2? 3? 4? hoth? presence? nope.

i hope this helps the definition of loyalty as pertains to me....

edit to add: after rethinking your comment about "the sole LZ release", this would definitely give many a different perspective.

there are tons of albums i love because i was caught up in the journey and growth of the artists......meaning had that album been the sole release, it may not have had the same 'glimmer' and appeal.

so, your point is taken.

however....

i would stand by ITTOD enough to say had it been the first zep release (having never heard any of the canon as previously released) there would have been several outstanding tracks that would have warranted my purchase. to follow this line of reasoning-to subtract zeppelin's previous releases, one must also (to be fair) subtract all the music influenced by said releases and then you would have bright, new, never heard before robert plant vocals on 'in the evening' being slammed into your ear by bonzo and jpj with the heaviest hammer of the gods ever, jimmy page.

yeah. still a classic.

my original assessment stands...

Edited by beatbo

While not my favorite Zep album it holds it's own in my collection. My favorite track by far is 'In The Evening'. I fell in love with that song the first time I ever heard it.

The real question here goes out to the vinyl fans. Which alternate cover do you have? This is the one I have:

ITTOD_cover.jpg

edit to add: after rethinking your comment about "the sole LZ release", this would definitely give many a different perspective.

there are tons of albums i love because i was caught up in the journey and growth of the artists......meaning had that album been the sole release, it may not have had the same 'glimmer' and appeal.

so, your point is taken.

however....

i would stand by ITTOD enough to say had it been the first zep release (having never heard any of the canon as previously released) there would have been several outstanding tracks that would have warranted my purchase. to follow this line of reasoning-to subtract zeppelin's previous releases, one must also (to be fair) subtract all the music influenced by said releases and then you would have bright, new, never heard before robert plant vocals on 'in the evening' being slammed into your ear by bonzo and jpj with the heaviest hammer of the gods ever, jimmy page.

yeah. still a classic.

my original assessment stands...

I am in total and complete agreement with this in this context.

The real question here goes out to the vinyl fans. Which alternate cover do you have? This is the one I have:

ITTOD_cover.jpg

Did you colour in the inner sleeve - I did and made a complete bollocks of it, water everywhere. Went and bought a new one - same cover and argued for 10 minutes with the guy, before he would change it.

Did you colour in the inner sleeve - I did and made a complete bollocks of it, water everywhere. Went and bought a new one - same cover and argued for 10 minutes with the guy, before he would change it.

I did the same with the water on the inner sleeve but mine came out ok :)

Love the spring noise on ITE when Pagey depresses the Whammy bar in the guitar solo, one of my Zeppelin highlights, will even keep playing it back on my ipod as I walk along !!

Edited by leddy

While not my favorite Zep album it holds it's own in my collection. My favorite track by far is 'In The Evening'. I fell in love with that song the first time I ever heard it.

All of them from: USA (several different pressings), UK, Germany, Japan, Canada

I'm missing a couple of promos from japan ;)

I think I've in total about 90 copies

:burp:

• 2 months later...

I don't think I've ever actually heard this album until now. I've been listening to it since it came out, and I've always found Jimmy's playing on it strangely compelling, but now I really know why. And I can see exactly why Jimmy has never been that high on it--it's an amazing album, but so clearly an expression of the most profound pain, and not just Robert's.