IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR

The versions of Little Sister and Thank You were very good. At that particular show for Hurricane Katrina relief performed with Robert, I think they segued "Given To Fly" into "Going To California". The melody of the former is very similar to GTC. Their version of Little Sister was available to fan club members for free a couple of years ago.

The versions of Little Sister and Thank You were very good. At that particular show for Hurricane Katrina relief performed with Robert, I think they segued "Given To Fly" into "Going To California". The melody of the former is very similar to GTC. Their version of Little Sister was available to fan club members for free a couple of years ago.

Are u kidding me superdave? the given to fly melody is the exact same melody zeppelin originated with going to california.. its not similar its the same thing the main vocal melody.. but then again the eagles did the same thing to jethro tull for hotel california.. maybe its the "californias"...

I thought all the numbers he did with them were great, but especially Fool in the Rain because it was such a treat to hear it live, and personally I thought they did a terrific job, considering how impromptu it was. The fact that RP didn't know the words doesn't mean anything, as he rarely does. ;)

I thought all the numbers he did with them were great, but especially Fool in the Rain because it was such a treat to hear it live, and personally I thought they did a terrific job, considering how impromptu it was. The fact that RP didn't know the words doesn't mean anything, as he rarely does. ;)

It seems like the show was good, but the YouTube clips were of such poor quality and very distorted you could only listen to them for a bit. They were that bad. Only the audio for Little Sister was good, which they released to their fanclub.

It seems like the show was good, but the YouTube clips were of such poor quality and very distorted you could only listen to them for a bit. They were that bad. Only the audio for Little Sister was good, which they released to their fanclub.

The audio clips are much better quality.

I actually think "Darlene" is a good tune....take out the "oh....ohh baby baby Darlene" and it's a great song. I actually think it's better than 2-3 of the songs on ITTOD.

I like Darlene okay but I don't think I'd trade it for any of the songs on ITTOD.

I like Darlene okay but I don't think I'd trade it for any of the songs on ITTOD.

i believe its good on codA and its the best song on coda and a great song at that.. but i wouldnt trade it either cuz im so used to the 7 songs that are officially on ittod.. it would be weird changing it almost sacreligious.. the only album i would change would be hey hey what can i do and put it on zeppelin III..

i believe its good on codA and its the best song on coda and a great song at that.. but i wouldnt trade it either cuz im so used to the 7 songs that are officially on ittod.. it would be weird changing it almost sacreligious.. the only album i would change would be hey hey what can i do and put it on zeppelin III..

Yeah, I was always surprised Hey Hey What Can I Do never made it on an album, but alas only so much room I suppose!

Yeah, I was always surprised Hey Hey What Can I Do never made it on an album, but alas only so much room I suppose!

yea good point.. i mean all the songs on 3 are phenomenal and have gained so much respect from fans over the years (i mean people that werent so high on it at first not sayin everybody)and really showed zeppelin's versatility.. but they used it as a b-side for the immigrant song single so i guess that weighed into account.. man wat a single that was u know.

• 2 months later...

I actually own all of Zeppelin on vinyl. I really had to grow accustomed to this album largely due to Carouselambra. I resisted it simply because it was such a departure from their previous musical style. In time I came to appreciate its complexity.

This album actually has an extremely diverse sampling of influences and display of musical styles. If for no other reason it should be embraced as a celebration of the bands virtuosity, flexibility, and ability to take themselves both seriously as musicians and to laugh at their own larger than life image as the "myth-makers" in rock. They are men, humble and falible, as well as extremely gifted musicians. Take Hot Dog for an example of "poking fun" at themselves. They just want to make music that everyone can enjoy. If you put your "hero worship" aside and just have fun with them then this is a brilliant album.

Just my opinion,...

Deb

I actually own all of Zeppelin on vinyl. I really had to grow accustomed to this album largely due to Carouselambra. I resisted it simply because it was such a departure from their previous musical style. In time I came to appreciate its complexity.

This album actually has an extremely diverse sampling of influences and display of musical styles. If for no other reason it should be embraced as a celebration of the band's virtuosity, flexibility, and ability to take themselves both seriously as musicians and to laugh at their own larger than life image as the "myth-makers" in rock. They are men, humble and falible, as well as extremely gifted musicians. Take Hot Dog for an example of "poking fun" at themselves. They just want to make music that everyone can enjoy. If you put your "hero worship" aside and just have fun with them then this is a brilliant album.

Just my opinion,...

Deb

Despite the various chemicals of the day, it's a strong album. Carouselambra is a masterpiece. It has tremendous potential live with an orchestra. Just count the number of movements in it.

unfotunetly :angry: it was never done live since the day bonham died :huh: i wish that he servived 1980 to listen to it live

I was 11 when this came out and 16 when I got into the band, so reading some of your posts is interesting cos I didn't know who they were or actually, that they existed at the time. However, for some reason, I remember the news of John Bonham's death on TV and radio at the time but was more affected by John Lennon's parting a little later. I suppose a lot of us at that age rely on our elder's to shape our musical appreciation and rawk was not on any of family memebers playlists.

Aww crikey, Moby Dick just came on as I'm typing this

So, when I finally start readin into rock beyond Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, Blackfoot (!) Stampede (?) and other older bands that I knew through my brother, Doors Beatles Stones I think "who is this band Led Zeppelin that the radio never plays?" It was just weird as there was never ever footage on British TV yet they mentioned Bonham's death at the time, but Freebird was regularily played on TV and radio for a period.

There's too many references to critics and such in this thread trying to justify posters opinions of the album. When I did get to hear it ( as the last of theirs I bought, bar one) I admit that iwas dissapointed. But I was a teenager and there was so much heavy rock to discover (and be equally dissaopinted by, includiong the Deep Purple reunion). Now I view it on it's own merit. Like I do people I suppose. When you're young, you judge groups of people (be it their taste in music, their football allegiance or even culture and nationality) without lookin at the individual qualities of that person/recording and it's development.

If anyone said to me "play me a typical Led Zeppelin song" it'd be from the IV album.

If the same person enjoyed that track then said "play something completely different, but equally impressive from them" i'd have to play something from ITTOD

There are moment on the album I forget what I'm listening to and go to turn it off, but something knocks me back and reminds me...This Is The BEST BAND EVER You Are ListeninTo!

I'll never understand how some folks don't get into In Through The Out Door. The amazing album opener that is In The Evening really sets the mood. Next up is one of the great, most under-appreciated Zeppelin songs ever; South Bound Suarez. The connection between JPJ and Bonzo on this one is... well, to coin a phrase... perfectly Tight But Loose.

Fool In The Rain is another classic Zep track and it continually stuns me to hear people say they don't care for this track. Plant's voice is so beautifully relaxed and Bonzo just tears this one up one side and down the other. Jimmy's solo is otherworldly and JPJ is just brilliant.

Hot Dog is a fun song... how I would have preferred Wearing & Tearing or Walter's Walk here though.

Carouselambra is the epic... crystallizing all that is great about John Paul Jones and his massive contributions to the band. Bonham's drums here are yet another example of his exquisite touch. Hammer Of The Gods indeed!

All My Love... despite Pagey's reservations, comes across as an intense song of love. And a very emotional moment for Mr. Plant.

I'm Gonna Crawl... whist I prefer Tea For One as the quintessential Zeppelin blues track, this one rides the roller coaster of emotion quite well.

All in all it is a great statement from a band who had matured and yet could venture down new roads and still deliver the goods. Sadly, one of the things that gets lost in the CD age is that you, the buyer, no longer are treated to the magic of album covers and all the great stuff that could be done within that format.

In Through The Out Door comes in a brown paper bag sleeve. You buy it, open it up and are greeted by a photo of a guy sitting at a bar. The photo is black and white save for a swipe right through the middle that reveals colours. Hmmm... a subtle little clue there.

Then you're at your friends house and notice her In Through The Out Door has a different shot of the guy at the bar. A bit of investigation reveals your album has a B on the jacket and hers has a E. Hmmm...

All the stuff that went into albums made buying an album an event. Not some little... compact disc... where the artwork is shrunk down and the sound is compressed. You weren't just buying a Led Zeppelin album, you were stepping into their world. You'd listen to the album and spend hours glossing over the artwork and all the clues contained within. It was even more so if you were into Pink Floyd...

Today... people can purchase one song from an album on iTunes. One of the reasons Jimmy hated singles was he felt that nobody could understand or appreciate the band by only hearing one song.

Technology is great. But the record buying public has been getting screwed ever since the invention of compact discs. Sure, they're convenient. But you're only getting a small portion of the total picture...

'll never understand how some folks don't get into In Through The Out Door. The amazing album opener that is In The Evening really sets the mood. Next up is one of the great, most under-appreciated Zeppelin songs ever; South Bound Suarez. The connection between JPJ and Bonzo on this one is... well, to coin a phrase... perfectly Tight But Loose.

Fool In The Rain is another classic Zep track and it continually stuns me to hear people say they don't care for this track. Plant's voice is so beautifully relaxed and Bonzo just tears this one up one side and down the other. Jimmy's solo is otherworldly and JPJ is just brilliant.

Hot Dog is a fun song... how I would have preferred Wearing & Tearing or Walter's Walk here though.

Carouselambra is the epic... crystallizing all that is great about John Paul Jones and his massive contributions to the band. Bonham's drums here are yet another example of his exquisite touch. Hammer Of The Gods indeed!

All My Love... despite Pagey's reservations, comes across as an intense song of love. And a very emotional moment for Mr. Plant.

I'm Gonna Crawl... whist I prefer Tea For One as the quintessential Zeppelin blues track, this one rides the roller coaster of emotion quite well.

All in all it is a great statement from a band who had matured and yet could venture down new roads and still deliver the goods. Sadly, one of the things that gets lost in the CD age is that you, the buyer, no longer are treated to the magic of album covers and all the great stuff that could be done within that format.

In Through The Out Door comes in a brown paper bag sleeve. You buy it, open it up and are greeted by a photo of a guy sitting at a bar. The photo is black and white save for a swipe right through the middle that reveals colours. Hmmm... a subtle little clue there.

Then you're at your friends house and notice her In Through The Out Door has a different shot of the guy at the bar. A bit of investigation reveals your album has a B on the jacket and hers has a E. Hmmm...

All the stuff that went into albums made buying an album an event. Not some little... compact disc... where the artwork is shrunk down and the sound is compressed. You weren't just buying a Led Zeppelin album, you were stepping into their world. You'd listen to the album and spend hours glossing over the artwork and all the clues contained within. It was even more so if you were into Pink Floyd...

Today... people can purchase one song from an album on iTunes. One of the reasons Jimmy hated singles was he felt that nobody could understand or appreciate the band by only hearing one song.

Technology is great. But the record buying public has been getting screwed ever since the invention of compact discs. Sure, they're convenient. But you're only getting a small portion of the total picture...

I love the album and it's another example of how the band kept moving forward musically and exploring different sounds/styles. I hear you on the album experience - I love the convenience of cds and of course the Ipod travels with me everywhere. But there's nothing like the whole purchasing an album, looking at the cover art, liner notes inside, etc.

Archived