Would you quit your job and go back to doing the one you had 30 years ago?

I was just being cheeky anyway! :D

I guess the answer for me would be whether the 30 year-old gig was more appealing than my current one. So far as I've seen and heard, that is not the case for Robert Plant. Now, if my employer sweetened the pot, i.e. gave me new and exciting duties to perform, that were appealing to me today... ;)

But I remain in contentedly in the "Let the 3 Js open new doors and let Robert continue with what makes him happy" camp. There's clearly a great divide about this, but I'm happy with my O2 dvd. They did it. They proved it. They dazzled the world. The stigma of Live Aid and the Atlantic appearances was soundly trounced. The media had to eat 28+ years of harsh words. Led Zeppelin really are as great as the legend tells. And all is well in the world again. Call me a bloody Pollyanna! :lol:

Now what duties could they give Robert ?? probably nothing new to sweeten that pot :( !!

No neither would I!

So why on earth would you expect Robert Plant to do the same?

Your argument is very flawed. No one is saying that he should do stuff he did 30 years ago. That's why Page, Jones, and Bonham Jr have been jamming in the studio. They're hopefully coming up with new material that will be kickass as always. All we can do is sit back and see what happens...

That's a really good way of putting it, Prime Mover. I took it literally at first and was trying to remember what I was doing 30 years ago...hmm....

Listening to Abba, running around in the woods, stealing my mom's cake decorating stuff to snack on....not bad! Still don't think I'd go back, though.

agreed I couldn't go back to that! I was four! Everyone in the family was alive at least.

Besides Mother didn't even listen to Led then.

Your premis is flawed. We're not talking about going back 30 years to a menial job. We're talking about a job that made them hundreds of millions of dollars. Going back now, those dollar figures will be eclipsed...I snipped the rest of you post because it is meaningless opinion...no offense...

So it is about the money then!

Your argument is very flawed. No one is saying that he should do stuff he did 30 years ago. That's why Page, Jones, and Bonham Jr have been jamming in the studio. They're hopefully coming up with new material that will be kickass as always. All we can do is sit back and see what happens...

Actually you are wrong - he is not in LZ now, he was 30 years ago. (No one is saying that he should do stuff he did 30 years ago.)

Which previous kickass material from Page Jones and (Jason) Bonham are your referring to?

Are you suggesting they would not tour the original Zep catalogue?

None of them are working for the money anymore. So I'm not sure you could call any of this a "job". It's more of a hobby.

Not directly in response to this post , which I completely understand the spirit of however I notice similar posts suggesting being in band is not a job.

Here is a definition; A regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially as one's trade, occupation, or profession.

That seems to fit. There are contractual obligations attached to any tour, album and quite correctly a consideration paid in respect of the contract

Here is hobby

a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

This is a job. There is a common notion that a job is something unpleasant or inconvenient in some way. Not true at all work should be enjoyable and the better your are at it the more enjoyable it is. The pleasure doesn't make it not a job.

To the financial aspect Bill Gates I believe is listed as Chairman and Chief Software Engineer at Microsoft that's his job not his hobby.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is a an element of deification of rock stars that completely shrouds the reality of the situation.

All this has got nothing to do with whether they should reform as LZ - I personally hope they don't but if they do I will be there again!

Actually you are wrong - he is not in LZ now, he was 30 years ago. (No one is saying that he should do stuff he did 30 years ago.)

Which previous kickass material from Page Jones and (Jason) Bonham are your referring to?

Are you suggesting they would not tour the original Zep catalogue?

I'm refering to any Led Zeppelin song being kickass. Given, I'm not saying they will tour, and I'm not saying they won't. I'm not saying Plant will join them or that he won't. I'm simply reiterating what he has said in the past. He's said that he doesn't want to keep doing the same old thing (songs from LZ past).

If the stars align the right way for a Zep reunion...they won't tour with songs they did 30 years ago (like i said before which you obviously didn't read correctly). They will write new material (already being done) and tour with the new material with probably an occasional old hit or two.

Maybe since I spelled it out now, you understand B)

Not directly in response to this post , which I completely understand the spirit of however I notice similar posts suggesting being in band is not a job.

Here is a definition; A regular activity performed in exchange for payment, especially as one's trade, occupation, or profession.

That seems to fit. There are contractual obligations attached to any tour, album and quite correctly a consideration paid in respect of the contract

Here is hobby

a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation

This is a job. There is a common notion that a job is something unpleasant or inconvenient in some way. Not true at all work should be enjoyable and the better your are at it the more enjoyable it is. The pleasure doesn't make it not a job.

To the financial aspect Bill Gates I believe is listed as Chairman and Chief Software Engineer at Microsoft that's his job not his hobby.

Sorry to be pedantic, but there is a an element of deification of rock stars that completely shrouds the reality of the situation.

All this has got nothing to do with whether they should reform as LZ - I personally hope they don't but if they do I will be there again!

A hobby is something you pay to do in your spare time that would be to hard to do as work!

I'm refering to any Led Zeppelin song being kickass. Given, I'm not saying they will tour, and I'm not saying they won't. I'm not saying Plant will join them or that he won't. I'm simply reiterating what he has said in the past. He's said that he doesn't want to keep doing the same old thing (songs from LZ past).

If the stars align the right way for a Zep reunion...they won't tour with songs they did 30 years ago (like i said before which you obviously didn't read correctly). They will write new material (already being done) and tour with the new material with probably an occasional old hit or two.

Maybe since I spelled it out now, you understand B)

Nope I must be even more stupid than you think, so I am clear is it they "won't tour with songs they did 30 years ago" or they will play "probably an occasional old hit or two".

This is now moving off topic, but I do have to have things explained carefully to me. :'(

Nope I must be even more stupid than you think, so I am clear is it they "won't tour with songs they did 30 years ago" or they will play "probably an occasional old hit or two".

This is now moving off topic, but I do have to have things explained carefully to me. :'(

Sorry for the confusion. If they ever even tour, it would not be to play ALL old material. Plant has said time and time again how he would get bored doing that.

If they tour, they would tour with new material and may play one or two old hits they had. But those old hits would not be the point of the tour.

Just like in their heyday when they would release a new album, they toured to play songs from that album but they would also play another hit from an album before.

Like I said, sorry for the confusion :D

When did Louis Armstrong split up and reform? :D

My point would be that RP is doing just as you suggest with grace.

louis armstrong made his name with a band called the 'hot five'. he expanded it to 'the hot seven' (which included his sister on piano). he broke this band up and went solo. he never achieved the musicianship of these seminal recordings (much like zeppelin), but he became very big as an entertainment entity and still made some dynamite music afterward.

well, you asked.......

Sorry for the confusion. If they ever even tour, it would not be to play ALL old material. Plant has said time and time again how he would get bored doing that.

If they tour, they would tour with new material and may play one or two old hits they had. But those old hits would not be the point of the tour.

Just like in their heyday when they would release a new album, they toured to play songs from that album but they would also play another hit from an album before.

Like I said, sorry for the confusion :D

I can just imagine the response if that lot toured, with or without Plant, and DIDN'T include any old Zep material! :D

Archived