Plantations

mad dog

I probably didn't word that very well! ^^^^

Recently, I had a chance to listen to Plantations for the first time i.e. Earl's Court, Seattle 77, Knebworth.

I was bowled over at how skillful Robert is at developing rapport with the audience. He handles the little snafu's that pop up with such grace and humor.

And he does it on the fly to boot! Even when he had every right to be really pi**ed off at people throwing firecrackers, he ends with a comment about how the audience should stop so they don't have a heart attack during the accoustic set.

So that's where I was thinking, "wow this guy would have made a smooth diplomat!" :)......missy

P.S. I thought at first the Plantations thread was only Robert's efforts at comedic lines......But now that I've heard them myself, I see this was a guy who was truly the great communicator for the band live (yes, even with the accent). Sorry I took up 2 posts explaining myself! ....... missy

Hello Kayte

Its a fact and and a shame that crowds of young people can often act like idiots, sometimes things can get real dangerous, ive witnessed this at soccer matches and rock concerts.

The tradgedy at Altamont had just happened and Zeps own Italian disaster, where it was a miracle no one was killed.

Robert had to act as crowd control sometimes, this is just one of those things, sadly, a man was killed at a 77 show and The Who had their own disaster in 79 where 11 died.

I hope this has'nt scared you too much!

As for Roberts cryptic plantations, yes, a lot of them were inside jokes!

You sometimes need to guess to interprit what he's talking about.

Example- after moby dick in Vancouver 75 Plant says 'Today is not John Bonhams birthday!'

One can only assume Roberts referencing fun and games offstage that Bonzo missed

And dont forget some people lost their lives at a Rainbow show in Japan in the late 70's 2 or 3 I think got trampled to death as fans went crazy during the show.

I was bowled over at how skillful Robert is at developing rapport with the audience. He handles the little snafu's that pop up with such grace and humor.

haven't you ever seen him?

super personable...you can sit anywhere in the crowd and he connects with you....not to mention he's come over and sung to us a couple times( got a nice verse of "in the mood" way back when)

that contrasts with Bono....who i've been close enough to punch in the face on more than one occasion.....and yet he just looks right through you

haven't you ever seen him?

super personable...you can sit anywhere in the crowd and he connects with you....not to mention he's come over and sung to us a couple times( got a nice verse of "in the mood" way back when)

that contrasts with Bono....who i've been close enough to punch in the face on more than one occasion.....and yet he just looks right through you

Sorry, I can't tell if you are being kinda wise? Yes, I saw him @ Tampa Stadium on June 3rd, 1977....for 20 minutes. That's all, but it's better than never having seen the band at all. Anyhow, not much time for Plantations during that '77 show.

I was never a big U2 fan, although I know they have a big fan base.

Their music always sounds like the same song in a different arrangement.

And yeah, somehow Bono being arrogant wouldn't knock me over with shock, lol...................missy

Sorry, I can't tell if you are being kinda wise? Yes, I saw him @ Tampa Stadium on June 3rd, 1977....for 20 minutes. That's all, but it's better than never having seen the band at all. Anyhow, not much time for Plantations during that '77 show.

well that doesn't count cuz they only did 3 tunes...........:P

• 5 months later...

"Uh, listen. Uh, let me tell you something. I've gotta, if, if I was to turn around, you would see a, a long white piece of bum so... I split me trousers, so if you'd believe that. Right, right that's the end of it, split me trousers."

http://www.rambleonz...1969-02-01a.htm

Bet he wishes everyone forgot about that... tongue.gif I'm sorry -- it's funny!

"We're gonna cut, we intend to ah, we intend to cut ah, take a knife and cut right through the glorious ice cream of Led Zeppelin, and give you a little bit of vanilla, little bit of chocolate, a little bot of color, a little bit of everything, and maybe a few changes too for the benefit of one or two people who've been before." - Uniondale, NY, 2/14/75.

Which show was it where robert was screaming at jimmy saying something along the lines off''JIMMY I WANT MY PAYCHECK''.

It sounds like something from 1970-1971 because It had nothing from HOTH And I can't remember if any of 4 was on it.

If anybody knows I'd appreciate it.

Another Quote was ''Mmmmmm to be or not to be''Followed by bonzo saying not to be.

I think the last post you made from your TSRTS thread applies to the one above^.

"Does anyone remember Montreux? Showing your age kids." - Robert Plant, Zurich 1980.

Fuck off!

I asked a question thats it! Nothing wrong with that.

Its nice to know that the majority of zep fans are dicks.

Yo Zeppelin Led, I recommend not to be an ass to other members within your first couple of days here, you won't get a good impression! Don't make that mistake.

"And all I get is a pencil, perhaps because it's lead, EHHHHHH!" March 19, 1975 Vancouver

"I'm a pink toothbrush, your a blue toothbrush, have we met somewhere before?" - March 17th, 1975 Seattle

Fuck off!

I asked a question thats it! Nothing wrong with that.

Its nice to know that the majority of zep fans are dicks.

Really?!?

If by the majority you mean yourself, then you may be onto something there - for the first time. Please stay on topic and bring something productive to the thread.

"You'll have to excuse us if we have to pack up in the next 15 minutes, poor John, John Paul that is, has 3 broken ribs and it is amazing that he can even stand. That's not funny really, we thought he had the clap. Ha!" - Robert Plant, Dallas, Texas, May 1973.

Yes. Contribute to this forum. Add and correct our catalog of information. I know alot of us do. And most importantly, be respectful to the people on this forum. These are people you don't know in real life.

"I think I can smile..." - Stairway to Heaven, August 11, 1979

Yes. Contribute to this forum. Add and correct our catalog of information. I know alot of us do. And most importantly, be respectful to the people on this forum. These are people you don't know in real life.

"I think I can smile..." - Stairway to Heaven, August 11, 1979

Archived