Led Zep - Vinyl or cds

I prefer vinyl, but let's get one thing straight: If you don't have good equipment for playing records, you won't be getting a better sound. The quality from CDs is still very good, and you get that quality for far less. However, if you have the means, go ahead and go vinyl.

I prefer vinyl, but let's get one thing straight: If you don't have good equipment for playing records, you won't be getting a better sound. The quality from CDs is still very good, and you get that quality for far less. However, if you have the means, go ahead and go vinyl.

:yay:

This is what I exactly think. :thumbsup:

... and of course, I prefer vinyl :notworthy: !

:hippy:

• 4 weeks later...

Most people that think vinyl sucks usually have that opinion because they have shitty gear and/or warped and burnt out records.

Period-correct equipment is by and far the best way to listen to music. Really, its worth the money to get a top of the line turntable nice amps and cabinet speakers that've been properly worn in over the years.

Most people that think vinyl sucks usually have that opinion because they have shitty gear and/or warped and burnt out records.

Period-correct equipment is by and far the best way to listen to music. Really, its worth the money to get a top of the line turntable nice amps and cabinet speakers that've been properly worn in over the years.

Well done photo collection. Only thing is where is ITTOD? Just ran out of space I guess.

Period gear, i.e. getting on for 40 years old is not going to be able to compete with Hi- Fi equipment made these days. Modern record decks will blow away their 70's counterparts, as will valve amps (unless you can get your hands on a pair of Quads) and speakers. You're going to need to spend a minimum of £1000 ($1850) on a turntable/arm/cartridge to significantly set it apart from other sources - remember: rubbish in, rubbish out. Plus the fact that vinyl is high maintainance, involving correct storage and handling, not to mention cleaning of the discs*, in almost every case even from new, to keep those grooves free from contaminents.

I'm not trying to put anyone off, here. I've recently reverted back to playing my vinyl that dates back many years, and it's cost me, but people should be aware of the involvement required to get the best from this medium. It's not the casual approach of the digital age by any means. Treat LP's poorly and you will soon loose any advantage in sound reproduction; get a good set-up, and you'll be amazed at what lies within those grooves!

RB

*I enjoy a part-ownership in a Clearaudio Smart Matrix record cleaning machine. It works wonders!

Period gear, i.e. getting on for 40 years old is not going to be able to compete with Hi- Fi equipment made these days. Modern record decks will blow away their 70's counterparts, as will valve amps (unless you can get your hands on a pair of Quads) and speakers. You're going to need to spend a minimum of £1000 ($1850) on a turntable/arm/cartridge to significantly set it apart from other sources - remember: rubbish in, rubbish out. Plus the fact that vinyl is high maintainance, involving correct storage and handling, not to mention cleaning of the discs*, in almost every case even from new, to keep those grooves free from contaminents.

I'm not trying to put anyone off, here. I've recently reverted back to playing my vinyl that dates back many years, and it's cost me, but people should be aware of the involvement required to get the best from this medium. It's not the casual approach of the digital age by any means. Treat LP's poorly and you will soon loose any advantage in sound reproduction; get a good set-up, and you'll be amazed at what lies within those grooves!

RB

*I enjoy a part-ownership in a Clearaudio Smart Matrix record cleaning machine. It works wonders!

I should've worded it differently I guess..

You're right in that the sound will be "better" with hi-fi this and that comparitively, but I'm a fan of the atmosphere of sound that 1970's equipment puts off... sure its not as clear or definite as it could be with new gear, but I'm content hearing things as they were heard when the albums first came out... as if I were back in time.

All that aside, the whole act with vinyl is just one more aspect I enjoy about using this medium... flipping through the rack, studying the album covers, front and back... carefully un-sheathing the vinyl from the paper jacket, laying it on the peg, dropping the needle with the utmost precision into the run-on... laying back, preferably with a joint, and becoming lost until the time comes when the A-side is up, where you use the album jacket to break up and roll the next left-hander before repeating the process for the B-side...

Its a whole helluva-lot better than picking up a piece of plastic, cramming it into a deck, and pushing play while you go about your business... no artwork, no experience... so utilitarian. You miss 50% of the true experience... vinyl albums were made with two sides, both of which tell different stories... sometimes each side gives a totally different feel... you cant get that with a CD because its all lumped together back to back to however-many backs...

I suppose no matter what sort of gear you have, vinyl still reigns supreme

Yes, no offense intended. I agree with your post in general, docron. The only niggle with vinyl is the fact that I have to get up off my ass every twenty minutes or so to turn the record over.

RB

Well hey.., if nothin else, the attention required to mann a needy record player is useful in developing valuable life skills such as:

Dealing with needy women...

Dealing with needy children...

Perhaps learning how to deal with doing the above while being really fucking stoned.

If not, well, theres always headphones.

vinyl is the way to go if possible, that said there is alot more maintenence to owning, playing, cleaning the records and turntable or in my case multiple turntables. plus there is the storage of said vinyl, which as alot of you know once you get into collecting them, its like damn where am i gonna keep all these? i grew up as a child of the 60,s and back then that was all you had, either the 45,s or the lp, and the radio stations, that was the format they used also, many was the time when you would hear in-a-gadda-da-vida skipping across the disc or stuck in some same groove, and just know the dj was somewhere else screwing off or getting stoned. a good amp and speakers are a must for these dinasours to sound correct, but theres no comparison to the old analog-vinyl to the cd-digital, albums win hands down. for those of you who havent heard that sound find someone with the correct gear and put some zep on-any zep youll be astounded by the difference in sound quality.

I wish I could meet whoever thought it would be a good idea to use cassettes to house music, mainly so I could kick him in the god-damn balls...

It goes without saying that they were the worst in terms of sound quality - worse yet, as far as album packaging and artwork goes - virtually non-existent with cassettes - and what artwork they did have was too small to even see... what fun is it getting stoned to Led Zeppelin III without having a volvelle to spin!? Well being stoned and doing anything is fun in itself, but album art used to be part of the greater experience! The size of CD's are bad enough - but at least they have booklets with them!

Great - now I'm gonna have nightmares of winding up and endless stream of tape that managed to escape its cartidge because it got caught and munched up on the head of a player - a task that can only be handled by the precise and highly technical method of sliding a wooden pencil through one of the reels and spinning it between both hands - you know.., for efficiency. :rolleyes:

caasseeeeetttteeeetaaaaaaaaape.jpg

physical graffitti on vinyl is one of the greatest listening experiences known. after i bought my third copy, i bought a cassette deck that recorded 'hot', and taped 1st plays of my vinyl to cut down the disintergration of sound brought on by repeated playings.

Vinyl all the way. You just don't get the warmth with CDs as you do with a record. Agree also with previous comments though, you need to invest in top of the line retro equipment. I bought a cheap record player off of e-bay, and the sound is underwhelming to say the least (blaring).

What do you guys prefer Led Zep on vinyl or cd.

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? This is a good question "Tangerine66." I have always been a vinyl/LP person. However, if you really want the ultimate in sound whether it is on vinyl/LP or CD, I highly recommend that you purchase vinyl/LP's and CD's by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL). I have been collecting MFSL since the early 1980's and I have managed to build a very large collection. Many of the MFSL albums that I own now are out of print and are now considered collector's items. I managed to buy the LED ZEPPELIN II vinyl/LP by MFSL and it sounds way better than any of the LED ZEPPELIN II CD albums that are available today. The only bad thing about MFSL albums is that they are expensive. But believe me when I tell you that when you play a MFSL album on your turntable or CD player (Whether it is a big stereo system or a small stereo system), you will know right off the bat where your extra money is going. ROCK ON!

Archived