Is a Les Paul really great for playing Zeppelin

McSeven

Any guitar with humbuckers and either a set neck or a neck-through would give you the fatness of the Zep tone, preferably with the Gibson 24.75" scale length.

These days I find Les Pauls to be kind of boring. There are so many of them out there, official and clones, that they've kind of lost some of their iconic status. And when you add in the immense weight on your shoulders, you may want to consider other models.

For instance, here is something you'd probably have endless fun with:

http://www.bcrich.com/bich_perfect_10.html

That's what Jimmy uses (most of the time). But with all the electronic goodies available today you can get all kind of sounds from almost any quality guitar.

But having your "own sound" is the holy grail for many guitarists.

Jimmy used all sorts of different guitars, so the Les Paul is not necessarily the most important piece of the puzzle.

If it's about composition, as in, you want to write riffs, then you should find a guitar which is comfortable to you - string height, fret width, weight of the guitar and all the other important factors. That is what will allow you to feel good while you play and be your most creative.

Any guitar with humbuckers and either a set neck or a neck-through would give you the fatness of the Zep tone, preferably with the Gibson 24.75" scale length.

These days I find Les Pauls to be kind of boring. There are so many of them out there, official and clones, that they've kind of lost some of their iconic status. And when you add in the immense weight on your shoulders, you may want to consider other models.

That's a pretty sweet guitar. I'd buy it just so I can say it's a "perfect Bich." :lol:

Jimmy used all sorts of different guitars, so the Les Paul is not necessarily the most important piece of the puzzle.

If it's about composition, as in, you want to write riffs, then you should find a guitar which is comfortable to you - string height, fret width, weight of the guitar and all the other important factors. That is what will allow you to feel good while you play and be your most creative.

agree. i would have to add that the ensemble: guitar, amp, etc must have a load of nuances that must be finessed to achieve the original perfect sound. otherwise, you wouldn't have musicians carrying around ancient amps that can't be duplicated by new tech.

but i'm willing to differ to anyone that can truly play (since i just muck about).

ev?

no no no buy a cheap guitar learn to tune it and throw it about buy a fuzz box 20 dollars get ur own feel then if u think u still have the spirit for it dont listen to anyone on here go to a reputable shop.

agree. i would have to add that the ensemble: guitar, amp, etc must have a load of nuances that must be finessed to achieve the original perfect sound. otherwise, you wouldn't have musicians carrying around ancient amps that can't be duplicated by new tech.

but i'm willing to differ to anyone that can truly play (since i just muck about).

ev?

Very good point....the poster isn't even asking about tone, but whether he should buy a LP to be able to play LZ riffs. ANY guitar can play the riffs....Jimmy himself may have written a fair amount on acoustic guitars...but back to your point , The Page sound is certainly a combo of Guitar, amp, effects, and the man's hands.

Quality guitars... good enough for beginners can be had for 250.00 or under....the key is to play as many as possible, and go home with the one that feels right. When the ability catches up, then I'd start looking at higher end equipment.

Personally, I've always thought the amp is the most important component of the tone, less than the guitar. Obviously different pickups give different sounds, but indeed the difference between a guitar sounding great and average can be a new set of strings too. There are so many factors.

Very good point....the poster isn't even asking about tone, but whether he should buy a LP to be able to play LZ riffs. ANY guitar can play the riffs....Jimmy himself may have written a fair amount on acoustic guitars...but back to your point , The Page sound is certainly a combo of Guitar, amp, effects, and the man's hands.

Quality guitars... good enough for beginners can be had for 250.00 or under....the key is to play as many as possible, and go home with the one that feels right. When the ability catches up, then I'd start looking at higher end equipment.

i'm looking at some low end single cutaways like the ibanez art-400 series. very nice wood and feel. sounds good through an amp but i'm still shopping...

has anybody else bought one of these or is familiar with it?A28AD28039634782941FB5F26D347037.jpg

Just remember that a brand new Les Paul is an overpriced instrument by anyone's measure. The way a Les Paul is constructed is well known in the industry and plenty of analogous instruments are out there that match or even exceed Gibson's current quality control. Gibson is counting on people being a slave to the brand. It doesn't mean they are the best value.

Just about every major guitarmaker has a Les Paul style guitar in its arsenal, always cheaper. Here an example:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guita...x.php?model=cs6

Bottom line is Gibson has rested on its laurels for ages. The really interesting stuff is happening elsewhere.

Just remember that a brand new Les Paul is an overpriced instrument by anyone's measure. The way a Les Paul is constructed is well known in the industry and plenty of analogous instruments are out there that match or even exceed Gibson's current quality control. Gibson is counting on people being a slave to the brand. It doesn't mean they are the best value.

Just about every major guitarmaker has a Les Paul style guitar in its arsenal, always cheaper. Here an example:

https://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guita...x.php?model=cs6

Bottom line is Gibson has rested on its laurels for ages. The really interesting stuff is happening elsewhere.

$1380.00? what is competetive about carvin for that kind of money?

just wondering...

$1380.00? what is competetive about carvin for that kind of money?

just wondering...

A new Custom Shop Gibby will put ya at right about $3g's.

I don't care what anybody says, Gibson's are worth it. If the guitar becomes your lifelong partner in rock, $3k isn't too much to pay if you ask me. If you get one that's good, just not your taste, you will eventually sell for 90% of what you paid. With most other guitars, it's more like 60-70, depending on the play wear.

Gibson doesn't put out as many duds as people like to think. Their qc has goes up and down, but just about every LP(Std or higher) that I have ever picked up has played pretty good. There are some visual flaws, and I have heard rumors of some needing a serious setup which shouldn't happen, but 95% of the time a LP is gonna play and sound good.

To the TS. A LP is great for playing Zep, but ultimately any electric guitar will do. Play several until you find one that you really just love everything about, sound, look, playability. If you don't play, take a friend that does.

As others have said if you want a LP sound, there are other options, than a Gibson, esp. if it's your first guitar.

If you got the jack, by all mean, get a LP. May I suggest the Custom, or hell just get the Page reissue from a few years back.

If you're actually gonna get a Gibson, if you are gonna go used, check out ebay. Ebay also hosts a guide to buying LP's, that'll give you pointers on the feature of the different years and how to watch out for fakes.

A new Custom Shop Gibby will put ya at right about $3g's.

I don't care what anybody says, Gibson's are worth it. If the guitar becomes your lifelong partner in rock, $3k isn't too much to pay if you ask me. If you get one that's good, just not your taste, you will eventually sell for 90% of what you paid. With most other guitars, it's more like 60-70, depending on the play wear.

Gibson doesn't put out as many duds as people like to think. Their qc has goes up and down, but just about every LP(Std or higher) that I have ever picked up has played pretty good. There are some visual flaws, and I have heard rumors of some needing a serious setup which shouldn't happen, but 95% of the time a LP is gonna play and sound good.

To the TS. A LP is great for playing Zep, but ultimately any electric guitar will do. Play several until you find one that you really just love everything about, sound, look, playability. If you don't play, take a friend that does.

As others have said if you want a LP sound, there are other options, than a Gibson, esp. if it's your first guitar.

If you got the jack, by all mean, get a LP. May I suggest the Custom, or hell just get the Page reissue from a few years back.

If you're actually gonna get a Gibson, if you are gonna go used, check out ebay. Ebay also hosts a guide to buying LP's, that'll give you pointers on the feature of the different years and how to watch out for fakes.

excellent post. thank you.

i am aware of what new LP's cost (as i have been shopping new and used for over a year). best advice i got was: play as many as you can, and get the one you know is you. i think evster told me that.

myself, i can't see paying over $1000 for any kind of LP copy. might as well get the real thing....

thanks again!

Archived