Who is your favourite vocalist?

Deep_Zeppelin

Amazing... no one but me who appreciate anyone of the good old classic soul singers???

Crazy.

Hey, I love all the classic soul singers too! You are certainly not alone Swede!!

Oh yeah, I do :D Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Aretha, The list goes on

^^Agreed, they are all amongst my faves too! Here are a few more from all genres:

Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Robert Plant, Paul Rodgers, Steve Perry, Rod Stewart, Chrissie Hynde, Christina Aguilera, Fiona Apple, India Arie, Alica Keys, Alison Krauss and way too many more to name, otherwise I would be here all night, LOL.

Ronnie Dio is of course the best. I like also Jyrki69 (of The 69 Eyes), Robert Plant, Ville Valo and David Coverdale. Gillan was good in seventies, but nowadays he sounds like a pig to me. Joe Lynn Turner has a good sound too. Axl Rose isn't singing at all to me!

How's it going all? Axl Rose at one time was a great lead vocalist. Guess who Axl Rose copied his trademark lead vocals from? Listen to the "Hair Of the Dog" album by NAZARETH, you'll notice right off the bat where Axl Rose copied his lead vocals from. Listen carefully to NAZARETH'S lead singer Dan McCafferty's lead vocals on "Hair Of The Dog." All else will be revealed, ROCK ON!

Clare Torry

Steve Marriot

Early Rod Stewart

Sly Stone

Paul Rogers

Lowell George

Robert Palmer

Otis "the great"

Aretha Franklin

Lyle Lovett

Steve Earle

And many i have forgotten but shouldn't have...

Oh, and that blonde guy who used to sing for some band called...errrr, Fred Heflin(?)...him as well.

Right now, David Clayton-Thomas from Blood, Sweat & Tears. What a great, great voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWsjpMuNU

I saw a video of Jerry Thomas singing this with the band in 1972 and it just doesn't sound the same. No depth in the voice.

This toohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL0oxmwsOY4

Robert Plant is my no. 1! Next are Bon Scott, Brian Johnson, Phil Lynott, Freddie Mercury, Axl Rose, Klaus Meine, Eric Clapton, Steven Tyler, Phil Collins, Rod Stewart, Bob Marley, Kurt Cobain, Roger Daltrey, Albert King and others.

+Chuck Berry, Chris Cornell, John Fogerty, Huey Lewis, Janis Joplin, John Mayer, BB King, David Coverdale and John Lennon.

:o

Clare Torry

Steve Marriot

Early Rod Stewart

Sly Stone

Paul Rogers

Lowell George

Robert Palmer

Otis "the great"

Aretha Franklin

Lyle Lovett

Steve Earle

And many i have forgotten but shouldn't have...

Oh, and that blonde guy who used to sing for some band called...errrr, Fred Heflin(?)...him as well.

Yeah, Lowell had a great voice! Very soulful. Steve Marriott too. Good choices.

Well Robert Plant is my no. 1 but I'm so f*ckin' biased it don't even matter.

I think Freddie Mercury (RIP) had one of the most beautiful and powerful voices in rock.

also Layne Staley (RIP) and Steve Marriot is just so fun to wail with.

Grace Slick has/had just the most sexual and dark voice

And of course Janis was just a riot of the senses.

omg I forgot....Tina Turner and Etta James!

Oh, it's many! But some examples, Robert Plant, Bruce Dickinson, Paul D'ianno (former Iron Maiden-singer), James Hetfield (in the old Metallica-songs), John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Marie Fredriksson, Per Gessle, Zack De La Rocha, John Lydon Aka Johnny Rotten (he has no fine voice, but good in other ways. Can be funny sometimes xD), Jon Bon Jovi, Kurt Cobain, Steve Tyler, Ray Davies, Howlin' Pelle,

Some good singers.

i'm running free, yeah!

Amazing... no one but me who appreciate anyone of the good old classic soul singers???

Crazy.

what?

solomon burke. try that on. al green can get the pants off your lover quicker than crisco. you're right about otis. one of the best. james brown-take me to the bridge! tina back in the revue days: river deep! ruth brown...smokin'. sam cooke-smooth as silk. jackie wilson-mr. excitement! aretha and patti-divas with a right to be. gladys knight, roberta flack, RAY CHARLES!

don't make me come over there, swede......

;)

what?

solomon burke. try that on. al green can get the pants off your lover quicker than crisco. you're right about otis. one of the best. james brown-take me to the bridge! tina back in the revue days: river deep! ruth brown...smokin'. sam cooke-smooth as silk. jackie wilson-mr. excitement! aretha and patti-divas with a right to be. gladys knight, roberta flack, RAY CHARLES!

don't make me come over there, swede......

;)

How's it going "beatbo" and "Swede?" Believe it or not, John Bonham loved listening to the Soul music of the 1960's. Bonzo loved listening to The Temptations, The Four Tops, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. Believe me when I tell you that Marvin Gaye would have to rank as one of the all-time greatest lead vocalists ever. One of Gaye's greatest songs ever should qualify as one of the all-time greatest song lyrics ever. That song is "What's Going On." ROCK ON!

How's it going "beatbo" and "Swede?" Believe it or not, John Bonham loved listening to the Soul music of the 1960's. Bonzo loved listening to The Temptations, The Four Tops, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye. Believe me when I tell you that Marvin Gaye would have to rank as one of the all-time greatest lead vocalists ever. One of Gaye's greatest songs ever should qualify as one of the all-time greatest song lyrics ever. That song is "What's Going On." ROCK ON!

good call. marvin. what a loss. still have stevie, though....

Right now, David Clayton-Thomas from Blood, Sweat & Tears. What a great, great voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWsjpMuNU

I saw a video of Jerry Thomas singing this with the band in 1972 and it just doesn't sound the same. No depth in the voice.

Great call! That is in my "how the "F" did i forget"? file. DCT has one of the best voices ever.

Oh fuck, how could I forget about her! I change my mind, she is probably my no one favorite, Otis my second. :D Her version of I'd Rather Go Blind is deadly.

Agree, on my "oh fuck" list as well. Also can't forget Billie Holiday.

Archived