MOMENTS AT CONCERTS THAT LIVE IN THE MEMORY

leddy

Since my first post in this thread wasn't necessarily centered around musical moments I'll try to list some of those this time.

Grateful Dead Carter-Finley Stadium, Raleigh, NC July 10th, 1990

All afternoon a thunderstorm had been looming. It struck while the Dead were in the middle of Promised Land which caused the power to go out. Once the storm had cleared they started back up at the exact point in the song where the power failure had occurred.

Guadalcanal Diary Duke University, Durham, NC Spring 1989

Another power outage, this one at night. Once the power was restored the bright white houselights came up and Guadalcanal kicked into their song Litany (Life Goes On) which begins with the refrain "I...I see light".

This is a good topic. Good one about the Dead Jahfin.

I'll give one for now......back in the mid 90's Ray Davies performed about 15 shows at the Westbeth Theater in the West Village, NYC. It was Ray and a guitar player at this very small theater. I bought a ticket at the last minute for show #14 and sat in the last row. Before the show I was chatting with a Kinks freak in the row in front of me. This guy attended EVERY show at the Westbeth and gave me a Kinks bumper sticker and a newsletter he published. Anyway, the show starts and it was fantastic. The Kinks play a song called the Banana Boat Song a.k.a. Day-O, a popular folk song. It starts off with Ray singing loudly...DAY-O, DAYAAAY-O and then a long pause and then softly "Daylight come and I want to go home". Ray started the song at the Westbeth, and after the pause (and the rest of the audience in DEAD silence) I sang out loud "Daylight come and I want to go home". Ray made a joke, the place went nuts and the Kinks freak was giving me high-fives. I'd love to get a bootleg of that show.

#1 Led Zeppelin, Knebworth, 4th August 1979.

Just a magical day, never to be beaten.

#2 Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ricoh Arena, Coventry, 2006.

Another band I'd been waiting to see and a fine performance, mega sunshine and huge amounts of alcohol made it a day to remember! (along with stepping onto the pitch at the home of the mighty Sky Blues!)

#3 Priory of Brion Oct 18 The Colosseum, Coventry

Robert Plant, 10 feet away and clearly enjoying himself??? Superb!

• 4 years later...

Archived