Zep Baltimore/Virginia Stories, Landmarks?

LidlessEye

I was born in Baltimore and lived there until I was 10 ('75). I can well remember the excitement of my older friends when Zep played the Civic Center (tragically, I was too young to attend!). I don't even know if the boys ever played here in Virginia.

Any info from the resident Vets?

The only other place they played (I think) is in Largo MD. at the Capital Centre in 77'. Don't think they ever played in Virginia.

btw, The venue closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2002. The arena was imploded on December 15, 2002 to make way for The Boulevard at the Capital Centre, a town center-style shopping mall.

The only other place they played (I think) is in Largo MD. at the Capital Centre in 77'. Don't think they ever played in Virginia.

btw, The venue closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2002. The arena was imploded on December 15, 2002 to make way for The Boulevard at the Capital Centre, a town center-style shopping mall.

Didn't they also play Merriweather (Post Pavillon)?

I didn't think they had played in VA either. The venues in VA are on the smallish side.

True. I thought they might have played the Roanoke Civic Center, but I didn't know.

Please, God, please, if they do tour, let them play the brand-spankin' new John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville - I mean, come on, fer chrissake! :D

Thanks to my brother, I have a clean ticket of their show from Feb 10th 1975, at the Capital Centre.

There's also a few rare flyers of the Laurel and Merriweather shows floating around which, unfortunately, I somehow cannot get my hands on even though I live 5 miles from Merriweather Post.

There's also the Ahmet connection with St. John's College in Annapolis, which I've discussed on a few posts.

I'm still looking for "Jimmy slept here" landmarks- will get back to you when those coordinates are discovered.

:D

I believe they played in Hampton Roads, VA in 70 or 71. There are some bootlegs from that show.

Supposedly, but who knows if it is true or not, that when they played at the Cap Centre in May of 77, Robert and Jimmy or someone from the band tried to rent a car from what was then the Sheraton Inn at New Carrollton. The car was not rented to them because no one had a drivers licensce. Probably a urban legend. And of course the usual rented out of floors, security passes to get onto the floors or a blowjob

Yes. Sun, 5/25/69.

Also Wheaton Youth Center (11711 Georgia Avenue) in Rockville, MD on Mon, 1/20/69.

It was an unadvertised gig they played for $250.

QUOTE (59LesPaul @ Sep 2 2008, 03:03 PM)

Isn't this the show where Whole Lotta Love made its' debut?

Supposedly, but who knows if it is true or not, that when they played at the Cap Centre in May of 77, Robert and Jimmy or someone from the band tried to rent a car from what was then the Sheraton Inn at New Carrollton. The car was not rented to them because no one had a drivers licensce. Probably a urban legend. And of course the usual rented out of floors, security passes to get onto the floors or a blowjob

Sounds like an urban legend as they were flown from Newark to Baltimore and back for all the Cap Centre '77 shows and staying at the Plaza Hotel in New York City.

Sep 9 1966 Alexandria, VA Alexandria Roller Rink -- The Yardbirds (w/Jimmy Page)

Aug 17 1970 Hampton Beach, VA Hampton Roads Coliseum

Sep 9 1971 Hampton Beach, VA Hampton Roads Coliseum

??? ? 1973 Fort Meyer, VA Fort Meyer NCO Club -- Page, Danny Goldberg and Tom Zito ('Washington Post') attend Bobby Parker gig

Jul 8 1998 Virginia Beach, VA Virginia Beach Amphitheater -- Page/Plant

QUOTE (59LesPaul @ Sep 2 2008, 03:03 PM)

Good question, but I don't think so- that was in the UK if I recall. Merriweather was the place where Pete Townsend and Jimmy got in a kerfuffle over Jimmy's comment about Led Zeppelin making more money than The Who, who were loosing money night after night because Pete and Keith kept smashing their instruments. It appears Pete is still sore about it- he's kept his distance from Jimmy for nearly 40 years now.

Richmond, VA Suicide Jack Choppers 2520 Waco Street 23294

Jason Bonham commissioned Suicide Jack Choppers to build a one-off custom chopper in memory of his father (June 2005). It was featured on their website for some time.

Steve, it's clear that you are a veritable goldmine of juicy Zep facts.... :D

Good question, but I don't think so- that was in the UK if I recall. Merriweather was the place where Pete Townsend and Jimmy got in a kerfuffle over Jimmy's comment about Led Zeppelin making more money than The Who, who were loosing money night after night because Pete and Keith kept smashing their instruments. It appears Pete is still sore about it- he's kept his distance from Jimmy for nearly 40 years now.

That Townsend sure hangs onto a grudge: a while back he mentioned the old Mods vs Rockers feud - and he made it clear he still hated the rockers... :blink:

Steve, it's clear that you are a veritable goldmine of juicy Zep facts.... :D

Here's more:

Robert Plant

10/11/90 Hampton Roads, VA Coliseum

10/12/90 Richmond, VA Coliseum

11/28/93 Fairfax, VA Mason University - Patriot Center *CANCELLED*

7/4/05 Portsmouth, VA Harbor Center - NTELOS Pavilion

John Paul Jones

3/29/00 Springfield, VA Jaxx

8/17/04 Lexington, VA Lime Kiln Amphitheater (w/Mutual Appreciation Society)

8/19/04 Alexandria, VA Birchmere (w/Mutual Appreciation Society)

8/20/04 Alexandria, VA Birchmere (w/Mutual Appreciation Society)

Jason Bonham

11/13/89 Norfolk, VA Boathouse

2/9/90 Hampton, VA Coliseum

2/10/90 Fairfax, VA Mason University - Patriot Center

3/27/97 Springfield, VA Jaxx

3/12/98 Peterburg, VA The Copper Mine

3/13/98 Norfolk, VA Boathouse

4/18/98 Springfield, VA Jaxx

5/18/99 Charlottesville, VA Outback Lodge

6/9/01 Harrisonburg, VA Mainstreets

6/10/01 Portsmouth, VA Annual Seawall Festival (Budweiser Stage)

4/22/04 Springfield, VA Jaxx (w/UFO) *Cancelled*

6/7/05 Alexandria, VA Birchmere (W/Foreigner)

6/29/05 Glen Allen, VA Innsbrook Pavilion (w/Foreigner)

8/30/06 Glen Allen, VA Innsbrook Pavilion (w/Foreigner)

9/1/06 Woodstock, VA Shenandoah County Fair

9/19/06 Alexandria, VA Birchmere (W/Foreigner)

9/21/06 Virginia Beach, VA Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

I've visited Baltimore many times. Jimmy's Knebworth shirt "lives" in Alexandria, VA as does the bow he used at the same shows! My best friend has both of them! In TSRTS the scene where the girl is asking for tickets outside the arena was not shot in New York ,it's Baltimore!

Nope - The very first performance of Whole Lotta Love live was on April 26th, 1969 at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco.

Its a really killer version, which at this time did not feature a theramin.

Also an interesting note... it would be a quite a while after this show before they played the song again - next known performance was a one-off gig in Paris on December 6th, 1969. My guess would be that they played it at this gig in order to iron out the kinks/prepare it for the up-coming Led Zeppelin II promotional tour - where Whole Lotta Love becomes a staple in the Zeppelin setlist. The next known performance caught on tape was January 8th, 1970 in Bristol.

Edited: Beacuase I suck at spelling.

Archived