Gibson 335, good guitar?

Deep_Zeppelin

I have planned to buy it. The colour for me would be black. Wise or not?

The ES335 is a superb instrument. I've had one for years, and it has become my favourite guitar (ahead of eight other assorted Gibson and Fenders). These guitars are capable of producing huge sounds, due to the semi-hollow bodies. Mine's cherry red: I don't think the colour will affect the sound.

RB

The only "down side" is if you play solidbody guitars as well and use high gain settings on your amplifier. You can adjust the gain down a bit to avoid "feedback howling". The hollowbody will induce feedback with much less gain than a typical solid body guitar. The "up side" is that you can achieve very cool controlled sustain and feedback with a hollowbody. I have a PRS Hollowbody II and it is my main guitar. You will love the ES-335! I've played a few of them and always wanted one. :thumbsup:

NEVER buy a guitar because it's the right color! Play it! Play them all! Play every 335 you can get your hands around. Close your eyes, screw the paint, and snatch the one that speaks to you! SERIOUSLY!!!

No. Really. Read this post over.

Drill it into your head!!!

Good guitar. Just get the right one!

You can thank me later.

And you will.

Nah - the red ones just sound better. It's to do with the different densities of the pigmentation used in the various colours, but they found that the red one produces the most pleasant effect, while actually reducing feedback in some mid range frequencies. Sunburst produces the most complex harmonics for the same reason.

;)

Sorry - long day...

NEVER buy a guitar because it's the right color! Play it! Play them all! Play every 335 you can get your hands around. Close your eyes, screw the paint, and snatch the one that speaks to you! SERIOUSLY!!!

No. Really. Read this post over.

Drill it into your head!!!

Good guitar. Just get the right one!

You can thank me later.

This is the best advice you can possibly get if you're going to be buying a guitar.

NEVER buy a guitar because it's the right color....!

Whilst I whole-heartedly agree with this sagacious approach, I (eventually) got the cherry red ES335TDC that I was after, even though it took 31 years of looking to find one! I agree, not the most practical way to buy a guitar, but once I'd played it I knew immediately that the wait was over. With hindsight, I wish now that I'd looked a bit harder.

RB

• 5 weeks later...

Archived