Without Plant, Still Zeppelin?

Canada

With the rumours going around that Jimmy, JPJ and Jason Bonham may be writing new music (possibly without Robert), do you believe they would still call this 'new band' Led Zeppelin?? I have no idea how this situation has been dealt with in the past with other bands, but I'm not even sure if legally they could do that??

It's a relative/subjective matter. Some say you can't call anything without John Bonham Led Zeppelin, in which case they most certainly wouldn't call it Zeppelin without Plant, however others allow for it to be Zeppelin even though he's not there. Certainly it sounds a lot closer to the original when you replace the drummer rather than the singer, but anyone can call it what they feel it is.

Legally, the situation is unclear as most of the contractual details are private, however we do know that Plant, Page and Jones make band decisions based upon a unanimous voting system ie. if even one member doesn't want to do something, the it doesn't happen. Could they legally tour under the name Led Zeppelin, without Robert Plant? Possibly, but there is a good chance it might not be a legal possibility, were Plant to oppose it.

But I don't think they would call themselves Led Zeppelin without Plant. I also don't think they would call it Led Zeppelin without one of Bonham, Jones or Page. I don't think they would tour under a new name ("The New Zeppelin"!!!) I think the most likely name, without Plant, would be Jones/Bonham/Page or some combination thereof.

No offense to who opened the topic, but look through all the boards here, everywhere a thread w/without Robert, don't you think it's really a bit overdone with only RUMORS going on? :(

Like peep solero said, leave it to the lawyers. Fans can do nothing but lean back and wait.

In fairness, this is a 'discussion board' and I think that this thread differs from all the others. While there are threads on what people think they should call a new album, or if they should go on without RP etc, this one is different in that it poses a question about whether it would even be possible, from a legal standpoint, to tour under the name Led Zeppelin without Plant.

I understand that there is a level of fatigue related to all the rumours and speculation, but lets come to this place in the spirit intended - to discuss and share.

NO. its a different situation regarding bonzo and jason. robert is still with us. did they ( page , plant, jones and the bonham family ) agree that it was led zeppelin at the 02 concert? hell yes. that was made crystal clear by the HUGE neon lettering at the end of the concert. they wanted that particular group of 4 to be known as led zeppelin. no other combination is led zeppelin.

In fairness, this is a 'discussion board' and I think that this thread differs from all the others. While there are threads on what people think they should call a new album, or if they should go on without RP etc, this one is different in that it poses a question about whether it would even be possible, from a legal standpoint, to tour under the name Led Zeppelin without Plant.

I understand that there is a level of fatigue related to all the rumours and speculation, but lets come to this place in the spirit intended - to discuss and share.

As a lawyer, I can tell you that absent access to the agreements, written or oral, which govern the use of the name, it is impossible to opine on whether or not they COULD legally use the name. As a fan I can tell you I would prefer if they did not.

No! Led Zeppelin without Robert is not Led Zeppelin. Robert has a very special and good role that fits in Led. The voice, the acting on the stage, his look with the long hair.

No, Jason do a good job as drummer so i can a little still call it Led Zeppelin with him. But Robert have a very special role in the group so I don't call it Led Zeppelin without him.

If Robert wants to play hardball, and not let JP, JPJ and JB use the name Led Zeppelin without his participation in future projects, this could end up in court the same way Roger Waters took David Gilmour to court over using the band's name Pink Floyd after the 1983 split. My stomach's in knots just thinking about it.

IMHO, Jimmy started the band so he should get the last say in what the band's name is without Robert's permission.

(It's times like these when Peter Grant would come in very handy.)

No in all senses.

Zeppelin not for sure, Jimmy won't do it.

And it's not a legal matter ...

I don't even think they'll do things as Page, Jones, Bonham

it might be a Page album with special guests or friends, with Percy too

Don't worry: if it'll be something new, it'll be a Led Zeppelin thing with all the actual members.

And Bonzo won't regret but be proud of, I guess.

:notworthy:

Jimmy said recently that for any future Led Zeppelin tour to be honourable, all four who played at the O2 would have to be aboard. Therefore, for any tour not featuring Robert, it is unlikely Jimmy would attempt to use that name.

I haven't seen that interview- do you have a copy? thx

If Robert wants to play hardball, and not let JP, JPJ and JB use the name Led Zeppelin without his participation in future projects...

Hasn't he an open invite to rejoin them? I don't see how his permission should be considered part of their decision - not that they would choose to call themselves Led Zeppelin without him, anyway.

I haven't seen that interview- do you have a copy? thx

This quote is from Jimmy at the Mojo Awards, as published in the latest 'Tight But Loose':

'The thing is, to do a Led Zeppelin tour you have to have, with Jason - the four members as it was at the O2 Arena of Led Zeppelin together - and at this point in time Robert is continuing with his duet or solo career. So you can't really have an honourable Led Zeppelin tour without the four members.'

Hasn't he an open invite to rejoin them? I don't see how his permission should be considered part of their decision - not that they would choose to call themselves Led Zeppelin without him, anyway.

This sort of comment just amazes me. :huh:

And this sort of discussion amazes me. Jimmy Page could perhaps legally use the name without Robert, but I doubt that he considers it a real possibility for other, namely artistic, reasons. If Robert really thinks he's better off doing something else, and does not want to participate in the making of a new album, then I would expect Jimmy to do it anyway - but using another name. At any rate, for me it's no longer Led Zeppelin without Robert. However... Led Zeppelin or not - go Jimmy!

Archived