The 70's "Scene"

PlanetPage

Hi everbody.. I found this good read about the Star Magazine and it gives good glimpse into the early 70's culture...makes me wonder did they have more fun back then and are we just "boring now"?

http://www.stargroupiemagazine.net/index-5review.html

I will say this much, I have sincere respect for all the women/girls of that time, they were truly in search of their own Identity, just as we are now days trying to gain balance between both family and career...woman's work is never done..........

....only thing constant is change

Personally, I think the lives of celebs back then were much more interesting and mysterious than they are now. I don't mean all of the partying, I mean by how many of them, even movie stars, were able to keep some sort of private life, so when you did see them or read about them, it was actually exciting, but now there is so much paparrazzi, tabloid mags, reality shows, etc that the world has become celebrity obsessed more than ever and is gone totally out of control and I don't find any of it interesting! So now, those who are able to still keep as much of their private life private, I have much more respect for them, than those who love to keep their names in the paper and on TV 24/7!!

Personally, I think the lives of celebs back then were much more interesting and mysterious than they are now. I don't mean all of the partying, I mean by how many of them, even movie stars, were able to keep some sort of private life, so when you did see them or read about them, it was actually exciting, but now there is so much paparrazzi, tabloid mags, reality shows, etc that the world has become celebrity obsessed more than ever and is gone totally out of control and I don't find any of it interesting! So now, those who are able to still keep as much of their private life private, I have much more respect for them, than those who love to keep their names in the paper and on TV 24/7!!

...You are right, too much tech/info. in our current times, there is no time to imagine, reason, fascinate....

I would LOVE to see an actual copy of this magazine.

...Hello Roxie...yes Jimmy Page does rule, doesn't he...all he had to was "Pick-up" star magazine and rest is history..........

Anyway, i wonder why don't they re-print and re-ciculate...

...Hello Roxie...yes Jimmy Page does rule, doesn't he...all he had to was "Pick-up" star magazine and rest is history..........

Anyway, i wonder why don't they re-print and re-ciculate...

Though my opinion might be different from the theme of this thread a little...(I'm sorry).

IMO,I think that LOVE and FUN are another one for Jimmy.

Was there a woman who got such a gorgeous present from Jimmy besides her in his heyday?

pk301.jpg

In a sense, Jimmy had cruel one side.

However, it is limited in the first half of the 1970 at most's.

He said in interview about his life in the ZEP era in 2004 that ''Two lived in the South and two lived in the Midlands and, apart from when we got together to do rehearsals and write and record, we were all family men with separate lives.''

Your character may change when you go out to a severe tour. :rolleyes:

Though my opinion might be different from the theme of this thread a little...(I'm sorry).

IMO,I think that LOVE and FUN are another one for Jimmy.

Was there a woman who got such a gorgeous present from Jimmy besides her in his heyday?

pk301.jpg

In a sense, Jimmy had cruel one side.

However, it is limited in the first half of the 1970 at most's.

He said in interview about his life in the ZEP era in 2004 that ''Two lived in the South and two lived in the Midlands and, apart from when we got together to do rehearsals and write and record, we were all family men with separate lives.''

Your character may change when you go out to a severe tour. :rolleyes:

Your are right about JP (thanks for posting that picture, never seen it before), he for sure has the "love" side. His Road life does run parallel with his domestic life. My post about Jimmy picking up Star Magazine was to reflect just how popular the magazine was (It has been mentioned in various Zep books/readings, and it probably became even more famous because of JPage reading it for "Road Entertainment"...anyway I wanted this post about the culture of the 70's, as to how young women portrait themselves...Star Magazine reflected that...I didn't want to invade private life of anyone famous or not famous...

That is so true!. Back in the '70s we were having so much fun that we didn't care about all the intimate details of the stars lives. Hell, we were doing most of that stuff ourselves. It was a different time, very expiremental and not so extreme. It's hard to explain to most people today, they all seem to think we were just a bunch of sex-crazed, drug-addicted, decadent hedonists. But really by today's stars standards we were fairly discrete (we didn't get caught as much!).

That is so true!. Back in the '70s we were having so much fun that we didn't care about all the intimate details of the stars lives. Hell, we were doing most of that stuff ourselves. It was a different time, very expiremental and not so extreme. It's hard to explain to most people today, they all seem to think we were just a bunch of sex-crazed, drug-addicted, decadent hedonists. But really by today's stars standards we were fairly discrete (we didn't get caught as much!).

...here are more stories, the passionate young people of the 70's

QUOTE (PlanetPage @ Sep 7 2008, 11:00 AM) *

...I cannot imagine the atomsphere of that time/era...God, I wanted to be there so much, I could only look at his pictures, and imagine what it would be like ...a different world/planet for sure I imagined...Life is been good to both of you...

Life has been very good to me - both during that era and in the years since.

It was an incredible time - although when my friends and I were in the middle of living it, we couldn't know that we were "witnessing rock history" or engaging in anything that, decades later, would be something so huge.

I don't want to leave the impression that, at least in the case of my friends and me, it was all Zep all the time - it wasn't. In between Zep tours, we were in school and just living our lives - there were other bands and other concerts. Of course, Zep were our absolute favorite. We were buying albums - Zep and others, reading rock magazines, listening to WNEW, and always, always, always, waiting for word of the band's next U.S. tour.

Once a U.S. tour was announced, we scrambled to find out where and when the Zep guys would arrive in our city, where they would stay, where they might hang out after the concert, and how we'd get tickets, etc. For the most part, unlike the Deadheads, my friends and I didn't follow the band from city to city - we waited until they came to us.

Sometimes it was a seemingly endless wait between tours - a year and a half between when we saw the band in Sept. '72 and when we saw them again in May '73. Then there was another long, excruciating wait until Zep came back here in early '75.

But, yes, it was an amazing, wonderful time and I am so grateful and blessed to have experienced it.

(PlantePage)

........thanks for a very heart warming/informative response. I started a 70's scene thread in the Zepplin Newbies Section. I think your story is a wonderful fitting for that.

...As new Canadian

immigrants from India in late '74 (13 year old) I was inexperienced in Western culture and by the time I learned about LZ, '77 tour was over. In between all this time, I was fascinated by the Rock'Roll culture around me, ofcourse the big bands always played US or sometimes Toronto...therefore my imagination was at work and Jimmy Page in '77 white dragon suit totally stole my heart...I mean what a myterious character. His face covered with long hair somehow gave me comfort for my own lonlieness (you cannot imagine how difficult it is to grown up in two extreme east/west cultures at such young age)...anyway, I wish you all the best, it has been pleasure talking to you about our fav. band LZep

(can we move this to the Newbies section?)

P.S. I guess we all take life for granted while history is in the making. I hope that you got to meet one or two Led zep at least...

.....QUOTE (PlanetPage @ Sep 8 2008, 08:24 PM) *

I guess we all take life for granted while history is in the making. I hope that you got to meet one or two Led zep at least...

ILoveJimmyPage (ILP):

'PlanetPage' I think that my friend MSG really summed up that time in a wonderful way. I just also want to say that back then, I really didn't know that I was witnessing something so monumental that people would be talking about it even to this day. I would have never in my wildest dreams have thought that there would be a Led Zeppelin website and I would be able to share so much with people that love and respect them as much as I do. To me, it is a very heartwarming experience now to be able to talk to people like yourself and share experiences I had back then. And I am very thankful to have made a lot of friends here, so I have Led Zeppelin and their music and legacy to thank for that as well.

And let's all hope (because I am still remaining positive) that there will be more experiences to be had in the future!!

Aw, thanks so much for that, ILJP. dc.gif

(MadScreamingGirl)

I agree with you that I never dreamed that, as great as LZ was, we would be here today talking about the band. When I was young and experiencing it all, I certainly didn't have the foresight or vision to see that the band would be talked about and worshiped in the manner that they are so many decades later. I also haven't spent the last 30 something years thinking about them in the way that I do now - I put it all behind me and went on to live an entire life and it was only recently that all those experiences just came flooding back to me. I have really enjoyed making new friends and meeting people here who either have, like you, shared the same experiences as me or who didn't have those experiences but are interested in knowing more about that era and Zep's glory days.

Here's to more great musical experiences - whatever they may be. beer.gif

...here are more stories, the passionate young people of the 70's

QUOTE (PlanetPage @ Sep 7 2008, 11:00 AM) *

...I cannot imagine the atomsphere of that time/era...God, I wanted to be there so much, I could only look at his pictures, and imagine what it would be like ...a different world/planet for sure I imagined...Life is been good to both of you...

Life has been very good to me - both during that era and in the years since.

It was an incredible time - although when my friends and I were in the middle of living it, we couldn't know that we were "witnessing rock history" or engaging in anything that, decades later, would be something so huge.

I don't want to leave the impression that, at least in the case of my friends and me, it was all Zep all the time - it wasn't. In between Zep tours, we were in school and just living our lives - there were other bands and other concerts. Of course, Zep were our absolute favorite. We were buying albums - Zep and others, reading rock magazines, listening to WNEW, and always, always, always, waiting for word of the band's next U.S. tour.

Once a U.S. tour was announced, we scrambled to find out where and when the Zep guys would arrive in our city, where they would stay, where they might hang out after the concert, and how we'd get tickets, etc. For the most part, unlike the Deadheads, my friends and I didn't follow the band from city to city - we waited until they came to us.

Sometimes it was a seemingly endless wait between tours - a year and a half between when we saw the band in Sept. '72 and when we saw them again in May '73. Then there was another long, excruciating wait until Zep came back here in early '75.

But, yes, it was an amazing, wonderful time and I am so grateful and blessed to have experienced it.

(PlantePage)

........thanks for a very heart warming/informative response. I started a 70's scene thread in the Zepplin Newbies Section. I think your story is a wonderful fitting for that.

...As new Canadian

immigrants from India in late '74 (13 year old) I was inexperienced in Western culture and by the time I learned about LZ, '77 tour was over. In between all this time, I was fascinated by the Rock'Roll culture around me, ofcourse the big bands always played US or sometimes Toronto...therefore my imagination was at work and Jimmy Page in '77 white dragon suit totally stole my heart...I mean what a myterious character. His face covered with long hair somehow gave me comfort for my own lonlieness (you cannot imagine how difficult it is to grown up in two extreme east/west cultures at such young age)...anyway, I wish you all the best, it has been pleasure talking to you about our fav. band LZep

(can we move this to the Newbies section?)

P.S. I guess we all take life for granted while history is in the making. I hope that you got to meet one or two Led zep at least...

.....QUOTE (PlanetPage @ Sep 8 2008, 08:24 PM) *

I guess we all take life for granted while history is in the making. I hope that you got to meet one or two Led zep at least...

ILoveJimmyPage (ILP):

'PlanetPage' I think that my friend MSG really summed up that time in a wonderful way. I just also want to say that back then, I really didn't know that I was witnessing something so monumental that people would be talking about it even to this day. I would have never in my wildest dreams have thought that there would be a Led Zeppelin website and I would be able to share so much with people that love and respect them as much as I do. To me, it is a very heartwarming experience now to be able to talk to people like yourself and share experiences I had back then. And I am very thankful to have made a lot of friends here, so I have Led Zeppelin and their music and legacy to thank for that as well.

And let's all hope (because I am still remaining positive) that there will be more experiences to be had in the future!!

Aw, thanks so much for that, ILJP. dc.gif

(MadScreamingGirl)

I agree with you that I never dreamed that, as great as LZ was, we would be here today talking about the band. When I was young and experiencing it all, I certainly didn't have the foresight or vision to see that the band would be talked about and worshiped in the manner that they are so many decades later. I also haven't spent the last 30 something years thinking about them in the way that I do now - I put it all behind me and went on to live an entire life and it was only recently that all those experiences just came flooding back to me. I have really enjoyed making new friends and meeting people here who either have, like you, shared the same experiences as me or who didn't have those experiences but are interested in knowing more about that era and Zep's glory days.

Here's to more great musical experiences - whatever they may be. beer.gif

Yes, those were the good times! I was born in 1972 so way to young to ever have had that experience to see Zep in the glory days. Thanks for everyone sharing their memories, I love reading all the stories! :D

Archived