Kids Drum Kits

Ronniedawg

Looking for a drum kit for my five year old son for Christmas. Had the chance to jam with him when he was four, couldn't reach my nephews kick drum but kept time on one of the floor toms and hitting the snare - all right on "breakin the law" time :)

Think it would be a great suprise for him and gives us more quality time together. He is a tall kid (over 4" already), and don't want to get him anything too cheap.

Suggestions would be appreciated - his mom says no but they will be staying at my place....lol.

Looking for a drum kit for my five year old son for Christmas. Had the chance to jam with him when he was four, couldn't reach my nephews kick drum but kept time on one of the floor toms and hitting the snare - all right on "breakin the law" time :)

Think it would be a great suprise for him and gives us more quality time together. He is a tall kid (over 4" already), and don't want to get him anything too cheap.

Suggestions would be appreciated - his mom says no but they will be staying at my place....lol.

Almost better to get him a low end brand name Ronniedawg. He'll grow out of a small set in no time. I don't know what your budget is but we bought number two son a set of cheap Pearls ages ago and he still play's them. They were around $600 at the time but a starter set was around $400. You can alway's trade the better ones in if he looses interest or keep them yourself. The difference in quality between the two is quite obvious when you hear them. Cymbals are where the real cost comes in but he could get away with cheap ones. I found buying new was better than used but with Craigslist around now, you may find it better to go that route

Thanks for the advice Ally and I think you are right :)

I do want to get him something half decent, and something he won't out-grow to quickly. I was looking for something on the smaller side - looked at the Pearl, Tama kits and just sent an email into a friend of mine who is sponsored by Mapex, to see what he can do (if anything).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice Ally and I think you are right :)

I do want to get him something half decent, and something he won't out-grow to quickly. I was looking for something on the smaller side - looked at the Pearl, Tama kits and just sent an email into a friend of mine who is sponsored by Mapex, to see what he can do (if anything).

You say "smaller"...meaning drum diameter? I would say go used until your son proves that drums aren't just a passing fancy. I've seen, and helped friends looking to do the same thing find used, decent enough kits for 200-300 dollars. Starter cymbal kits made out bb alloy will probably run around 100-150.

I endorse a drum company myself...problem is even with a deep discount, getting a deal from a drum company is on brand new equipment, and therefore runs into a good amount of money. That's the scenario I might try to take advantage of after you guys have made it through The Lemon Song a few times. B)

Good luck

Archived