Jimmy defends Olympic performance

MHD

It ain't the critics that piss me off, but this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...r-ceremony.html

Rod Harris, from Chesterfield said: 'What a sloppy shower to show the world.

'And, Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page who on earth are they, and what do have they to do with The Olympic ideal?

Okay... I understand not knowing who Leona Lewis is. I didn't know who she was until this performance, either.

But not knowing Jimmy Page? The guitarist of only the greatest band in music history? I can only assume this Rod Harris person lives under a rock.

It ain't the critics that piss me off, but this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...r-ceremony.html

Okay... I understand not knowing who Leona Lewis is. I didn't know who she was until this performance, either.

But not knowing Jimmy Page? The guitarist of only the greatest band in music history? I can only assume this Rod Harris person lives under a rock.

He's from Chesterfield. It's a backward town.

I enjoyed the performance but a little puzzled by the choice of Whole Lotta Love. I mean the song is the epitome of sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll. Is that the image London wanted to present to the world in the context of the 2012 Olympics?! Hey, if it's going to be an international love-in, I'll start saving for my ticket now...

I was thinking "Bring it on Home" would have been more appropriate - title wise. But then the words are no less controversial. "Thank you" would have sent a better message?

One of the reasons I imagine Jimmy and Leona were chosen to represent London and Britain - aside from being incredibly talented - was the fact that they are both from LONDON. None of those other musicians would even be thought of because they aren't from LONDON, or, in some cases, Britain. It wasn't a free for all where the London Olympic Committee picked a random musician from a hat and just decided they'd have them.

Yay!!! I'm amazed by how many people don't get that the symbolism was the whole point and the musicians were BRITISH from LONDON. Leona even got called an "American Idol" singer on this forum. Its like :doofywave:

Yay!!! I'm amazed by how many people don't get that the symbolism was the whole point and the musicians were BRITISH from LONDON. Leona even got called an "American Idol" singer on this forum. Its like :doofywave:

:D

Thank you. As awful as I'll sound, it's only certain people from certain countries who seem to think Jimmy and Leona were chosen just because. Did people not get the London theme once they saw the red doubledecker? Were they expecting something more obvious? It always amazes me how ignorant some people can be.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: I'm fucking proud Jimmy Page represented my country. No other country can say that.

One of the reasons I imagine Jimmy and Leona were chosen to represent London and Britain - aside from being incredibly talented - was the fact that they are both from LONDON. None of those other musicians would even be thought of because they aren't from LONDON, or, in some cases, Britain. It wasn't a free for all where the London Olympic Committee picked a random musician from a hat and just decided they'd have them.

Thanks, I realize that now. So forget the American names I put out and just think of the British ones! I'm still elated that it was Jimmy!

Jimmy is nothing short of utterly gracious for performing. People knocking him for not playing live have NO idea of how these shows work. if he were to insist on playing live he would have been such a prima dona that it would be embarrassing.

It is my line of business to work shows like that (rock shows, operas, theatre etc as well) and it is far more complicated and involved than you would ever imagine. A short show like that takes more planning and logistics than seems possible for such a small period of time on television. That little production took weeks(months?) and likely days of rehearsals. To be a pain Jimmy might have even been replaced by someone more willing to do what had to be done to make it work-and there would have been plenty of people in line behind him willing to do anything to get that spot he had in the big show.

I'm beginning to understand why George Balanchine did not read reviews. I think the Beijing Olympics were quite fortunate to have received a live performance of Whole Lotta Love from Jimmy Page, and Leona held up her end of the bargain rather nicely. Plus, she can sing. Although I believe Ed Sullivan may have instructed her not to move anything below the waistline too noticeably.

Its the way some people are over here, I really do not know what else they could have done in the ten mins they had....some are just negative about everything, if they won the lottery they would still\ find a problem with that :). Well done Jim and Leona, none could of done better !!

There were plenty in Britain raining piss on it as soon as they heard about it, Rotten Johnnys. I think if the sun shined for a day so many Brits would have to ask the Irish or the Welsh if it was OK to be happy about it.

Zeppelinizing the Olympics was brilliant and Leona was ravishingly good. I hope they get the opportunity to do an encore in 2012 with a live Son of Thunder drum orchestra. Wouldn't that be cool!

I hear that many ppl say it was a bad performance and sound wasn't good... I mean were you expecting a concert? It was just a little thing that was part of a whole bigger act, it was not the main thing you know, just relax.

I didn't know Jimmy was gonna be a part of it, so I was just surprised and in awe to see him, in all honesty i liked what I saw and I thought that Leona Lewis did a good refreshing rendition of Whole Lotta Love.

From an audio perspective, the performance was awful. Let's not try to deny that. The sound was not mixed directly from the source, all we heard on TV was the echo in the stadium. That is very disappointing and is the sort of thing Peter Grant protected the band from, and Jimmy has generally been very careful with.

There is simply no excuse for such poor audio, considering it was pre-recorded anyway. I'm not suggesting this was Jimmy's fault, but it's a shame. It would have been much better as a live performance

However, what is brilliant about it is the fact that of all the artists who could have been involved, it was Page........

Is that what it was? the audio was sound within the stadium? that explains the sound then.

I agree, they should have done it live, or had the sound transmitted to tv right. It was great that -page participated in the event though.

I thought -jimmy page addressed that well in the article posted. i read some of the negative articles posted and i admit, i felt some negative vibes by the way the song was broadcasted as well. but ofcourse, the sentiment is what mattered.

Oh yes you (we) are. :D British, not English.

Sorry to bring you to heal 'Aquamarine' but there are no such people as "British" period.

The word "British" has been imposed on the English people for centuries and is wrong, but the people of each of the countries of the UK want to keep there own identity, and so they should. The Scots, Irish and Welsh for the most part have no love for the English, and although i dont speak for all the English, we have no love for them either.

They stab us in the back at every oppotunity, both in the past and up to this day. Why even the Scottish Tennis Payer Andy Murray wore a shirt with "Anyone but England" on it during the last world cup, and he said he wanted anyone but England to win the trophy but he has the gall to ply his trade here, how much money would he earn and how much support would he get if he stayed in Scotland, not as much i'm sure?

If the English were to bahave to the Scots, Irish or Welsh like the Scots, Irish or Welsh behave towards the English then we would quite rightly be labled as "Racists", so why do they get away with it and the English dont?

The Scotts, Irish, Welsh and the Bretons from Britany in France are "Celtic" people as were the "Ancient Britons", but the "English" are from Anglo-Saxon stock, a mixture of Danish and German and we are proud of this fact. We neither want to be associated with the small minded, racist "Celts" or to be classified with them as "British, thank you very much.

I am also from East London and i am a "Soft Cockney", so i dont want to be confused with the "Thieving Scousers" from Liverpool, the "Thick Northeners" from Yorkshire, the "Twato Geordies" from Newcastle or any other low cast scum from any other place i have not mentioned, get that right and we can remain friends. :lol:

Regards, Danny

You have failed to "bring me to heal," 'Danny.' :D

I am Welsh, raised in the south of England, attended uni in the north, and neither feel nor observed most of the antagonisms you describe, nor do I want to. Of course each country wants to keep its own identity, while collectively forming the United Kingdom, for which Great Britain is simply a synonym, and British an umbrella term referring to all four nationalities. But the impression you're giving of the UK is of a battleground with all sorts of factions constantly at each others' throats, and it ain't so.

Oh, and I know exactly who the Celts, Angles, etc. are, thanks--I'm a Celt and proud of it. I also went to uni among "Thieving Scousers" and loved every last one of them. We all managed to be British together--sorry, your prejudices don't apply everywhere!

Yikes !!!!

I came to a thread out of curiosity and walked into a tiff.

Reminds me of the joke ---

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out .

Always the peacekeeper here -- I say we're all humans on a little planet called earth.

Black , blue yellow or brown , it ain't goona matter in the end .

You're just a sack of liquid in a shell with bones.

Just ask the Aliens !!!

You have failed to "bring me to heal," 'Danny.' :D

I am Welsh, raised in the south of England, attended uni in the north, and neither feel nor observed most of the antagonisms you describe, nor do I want to. Of course each country wants to keep its own identity, while collectively forming the United Kingdom, for which Great Britain is simply a synonym, and British an umbrella term referring to all four nationalities. But the impression you're giving of the UK is of a battleground with all sorts of factions constantly at each others' throats, and it ain't so.

Oh, and I know exactly who the Celts, Angles, etc. are, thanks--I'm a Celt and proud of it. I also went to uni among "Thieving Scousers" and loved every last one of them. We all managed to be British together--sorry, your prejudices don't apply everywhere!

Hi 'Aquamarine'

You must have missed the most important part of my post, the :lol:

Where pray did you live in the south of England?

And being Welsh you wont have felt the antagonisms i have described as its the Scots, Irish and Welsh who are the ones being antagonistic. Have you ever been English and lived in one of there cities? It aint much fun i can assure you, they dont get anything like the treatment we get by them, in England. Because we are a modern people that dont live in the past like they do, and they are breed and brought up to hate the English where we are not.

Regards, Danny

Hi 'Aquamarine'

You must have missed the most important part of my post, the :lol:

Where pray did you live in the south of England?

And being Welsh you wont have felt the antagonisms i have described as its the Scots, Irish and Welsh who are the ones being antagonistic. Have you ever been English and lived in one of there cities? It aint much fun i can assure you, they dont get anything like the treatment we get by them, in England. Because we are a modern people that dont live in the past like they do, and they are breed and brought up to hate the English where we are not.

Regards, Danny

I would say I've never read such bollocks, but then we all know I have. :lol:

Not in this thread though--so let's give Zepp-4-Life his thread back, and park the tiff.

(Actually I see it was Miss HD's thread, apologies.)

I would say I've never read such bollocks, but then we all know I have. :lol:

Not in this thread though--so let's give Zepp-4-Life his thread back, and park the tiff.

(Actually I see it was Miss HD's thread, apologies.)

Sorry, way off topic, and you know the trouble with being abused dont you? No one ever believes you, they all say its bollocks!! FACT.

Yes, Dan, I'm sure you're right.

^^Example of Welsh person abusing English person. :D

Try going to Cardiff/Swansea as an English person and you can see for yourself, feel the hatred, Example? you wouldn't believe me anyway would you? That also goes for Glasgow- Edinburgh-Belfast-Dublin.

Archived