Cream

Xorq

Clapton never played the same again after Cream.

Pushed to the limits both musically and mentally by the insane genius of Bruce&Baker.

At their best, maybe never topped.

The live material can really only be appreciated FULLY at ear splitting volume.

My copy of 'Creamer' Live at LA Forum,San diego&Oakland WONT PLAY!! :angry:

Is the Spoonful at the Farewell show freaky or what?!

3 men on a stage

I recently got into Cream, as well. LOVE this band! I would do ANYTHING to have been at that farewell concert (and Led Zeppelin's RAH concert in 1970).

I'm yet to find a copy of Goodbye, though >_>

A lot of people usually say that Goodbye is their worst, but it's not bad. It does have one of their biggest hits, "Badge" which Clapton played a lot on tour, it's great.

Live Cream, Live Cream Vol. 2, and the live side of Wheels of Fire, are all great

Live Cream 2 has some really great versions of Deserted Cities of the Heart, White Room, and Tales of Brave Ulysses. But there's one long bluesy song at the end that gets somewhat monotonous - it's listed as both "Hideaway" and "Steppin' Out" on my record and the cover. What is the correct title?

A lot of people usually say that Goodbye is their worst...

Something I cannot agree with. The interplay between the band members on the live cuts from the LA Forum display their awareness and musicianship to its best advantage. I'm So Glad, for example, where Jack Bruce plays bass as a lead instrument in places, and Clapton's fluidity that is reminiscent of a sax player: and all this while the band is disintergrating!

RB

Live Cream 2 has some really great versions of Deserted Cities of the Heart, White Room, and Tales of Brave Ulysses. But there's one long bluesy song at the end that gets somewhat monotonous - it's listed as both "Hideaway" and "Steppin' Out" on my record and the cover. What is the correct title?

Well, I don't know if this board would support it, but I think it should be since it's not official albums, but if you look here, you'll see at the bottom is two Oakland shows. One of them (I don't think I have either of them, I have A Oakland bootleg though) is where White Room and Politician on Live Cream Vol. 2 come from, except they're cleaned up for official release (for live Cream 2)

It's Steppin' Out, although my original pressing lists the track as Hideaway on both sleeve and label.

RB

Thanks, I've been wondering about that for a long time. I don't think I've ever played this one the whole way through - it really gets repetitive...

A lot of people usually say that Goodbye is their worst, but its not bad. It does have one of their biggest hits, Badge which Clapton played a lot on tour, its great.

I think a couple of the more obscure songs on Goodbye are among their best.

What a Bringdown

and

Doing that Scrapyard Thing

I see a post or two here mentioning their studio output isnt as good as their live. I disagree. I LOVE their studio songs.

The studio music on Wheels of Fire all stands out.

Those Were the Days

Born Under a Bad Sign

Deserted Cities of the Heart

Anyone for Tennis

Passing the Time

ALL GREAT !

The studio music on Wheels of Fire all stands out.

Those Were the Days

Born Under a Bad Sign

Deserted Cities of the Heart

Anyone for Tennis

Passing the Time

ALL GREAT !

"Pressed Rat and Warthog" is one of my favorites from here - although it is an odd song, to say the least?

"Pressed Rat and Warthog" is one of my favorites from here - although it is an odd song, to say the least?

Yep, Ginger Baker does a great narration and I love the horn and how the song picks up tempo.

Just one thing though, I could never figure out what in hell they were talking about. Any ideas?

Just one thing though, I could never figure out what in hell they were talking about. Any ideas?

Pressed Rat, Warthog and The Bad Captain Madman were nicknames they had for each other in the band (Bruce, Baker and Clapton, respectively). Atonal apples and amplified heat is a reference to the music they were producing.

Plus...let's not forget Mother's Lament!

RB

Pressed Rat, Warthog and The Bad Captain Madman were nicknames they had for each other in the band (Bruce, Baker and Clapton, respectively). Atonal apples and amplified heat is a reference to the music they were producing.

RB

So was it Baker who broke Bruce's leg into three?

Possibly, but it was woodworm that initially challenged its integrity.

RB

Speaking of Felix Pappalardi - did he fill in on bass on some studio cuts? He had Bruce's sound, on some Mountain songs where he was the bassist, and I see him credited with many different orchestral instruments on W.O.F..

Plus...let's not forget Mother's Lament!

RB

Thanks. I always thought it was amplified hate, which would've fit into this description, as Baker and Bruce were known to "go at it" from time to time.

They were great when I saw them.

They were great when I saw them too, but I had to wait until 2005 for the opportunity.

Some of the best gigs I've ever attended, without a doubt. Seeing them and Hendrix on the same bill must have been amazing, Eternal!

The reunion rumours surfaced again a few months back, so you never know...at least Ginger and Jack appear to be on talking terms again.

They were great when I saw them too, but I had to wait until 2005 for the opportunity...

The Royal Albert Hall gigs? If so, what night? I was there on 5/5/5 (election day), and it cost me a pretty penny to get tickets, but after the 37 year wait it was worth it. Frankly. I had no choice: I had to go - by hook, or by crook.

RB

Archived