Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Jarlaxle 56

Classical Music!

Arvo Pärt's gift to Los Angeles.

Edited by Strider

Not into any Classical. But there is one piece that i really like. Its called, Conquest of Paradise. They play it before Wigan Rugby League matches. It really does get your hairs standing on edge. Oh i like Chariots of fire too.

I have been thinking about the origins of "heavy" music.  Many people think of Wagner but he is not my cup of tea.  I think about these pieces as the origins of heavy music.

18th Century

Bach Toccata and Fugue in d minor

19th Century

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, 3rd movement

Chopin Etude 12 in c minor, the "Revolutionary", Polonaise op 53 in A flat - the "Heroic"

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - original piano solo version and later orchestral versions

Franz Liszt - Mazzepa - piano solo and orchestral versions,  his piano solo version of Franz Schubert's song "Erlkonig", and Transcendental Etude No. 8 the "Wilde Jagt"

Can someone please recommend a good CD compilation for the works of Mozart?

I am looking for a compilation that houses just his piano based, violin based and orchestra work. No opera music, please!

Thanks! :) 

On 27.1.2018 at 1:27 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Can someone please recommend a good CD compilation for the works of Mozart?

I am looking for a compilation that houses just his piano based, violin based and orchestra work. No opera music, please!

Thanks! :) 

I have no answer to your question. IMO the Amadeus soundtrack is the best compilation of Mozart's work - but it contains opera and choir music.
And I think that Sir Neville Mariner's and Sir Colin Davis interpretations are always worth a listening.

The recording of the Symphonies 21-41 by Josef Krips with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam is quite famous.
I like it very much:

I like listening to classical guitar music, been meaning to find more classical guitarists, pretty much the only one I know of right now is Andres Segovia 

18 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

I have no answer to your question. IMO the Amadeus soundtrack is the best compilation of Mozart's work - but it contains opera and choir music.
And I think that Sir Neville Mariner's and Sir Colin Davis interpretations are always worth a listening.

The recording of the Symphonies 21-41 by Josef Krips with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam is quite famous.
I like it very much:

Hi, thanks for your reply. Now, there is this mp3 album called Mozart : The Essential Classics. I listened to the entire album on YT and needless to say, it was delightful! Now, unfortunately, the CD version of this album is out of stock. So, I was wondering whether there was another CD compilation equivalent to that.

http://www.halidon.it/sinfonicacamera-c182-artisti_vari_mozart_essential_classic-g3076-d1.html

I have a subcription for sacred choral music for more than 20 years now.
I love this kind of music very much. For me it's the real heavy music. 80 - 200 people singing, with 40 - 80 musicians on stage - no amps needed 😎

This morning Mozart was on the menue:

- Clarinet Concerto in A major KV 622 (1791)
- Requiem d-Moll KV 626 (1791)

I've heard Mozart's Requiem live many times. Once I heard it in a huge old church and nothing tops the acoustic of a church. For me the Lacrymosa is the song of songs. This is the most moving and amazing piece of music ever composed, IMO.

Next stop: Händel's Messiah next sunday

Edited by LedZed66

On 2/4/2019 at 12:40 PM, LedZed66 said:

A great one !  He was so revolutionary in his time.