The Firm or Coverdale Page

zeptangerine

as God is my witness, he looked up from his guitar as the lights came up and looked right at me and threw me a thumbs up (and psychically visited me - we had beer and talked about art whilst time stood still).

ringing all the bells for sure....

You had a beer with him? And art chat? Quite a description there B, with a canvas of many sensations pulsing through the connective conscience of a mind meld! Now how come Jimmy didn't ring my bell that night? :( I swear, it had something to do with that stage like it was cursed, because Ritchie Blackmore behaved the same way when he played there the same year, same location, facing amps and all. I even had the same section for both The Firm and Deep Purple shows.

Okay, maybe I was the jinx? :lol:

I have to say The Firm were a bit of a dissapointment, some good moments, were good live but it lacked something in both albums, C/P on the otherhand for me is a great album and although I didn't see them live I have to say C/P was better, I think Coverdale did an admiral job. Some of The Firm stuff was a bit wishy washy (but would still see them live again.

70% C/P 30%The Firm

So they did tour- in Japan only?

Jeff, how did Kashmir sound on this boot? Totally Zeppelinesque or quasi Zep without Jonesy's keyboard? I have a really hard time hearing it any other way than the Zep way, so I'm trying to imagine it. :)

The did like 2 or 3 shows in Japan thats it. You can find these clips on youtube. do a search.

So they did tour- in Japan only?

Jeff, how did Kashmir sound on this boot? Totally Zeppelinesque or quasi Zep without Jonesy's keyboard? I have a really hard time hearing it any other way than the Zep way, so I'm trying to imagine it. :)

They did 7 shows from the 14th to the 22nd of December 1993

4 shows in Tokyo

2 shows in Osaka

1 show in Nagoya

Probably the most bootlegged short tour in history. They were slated to tour the states but it was canceled due to poor ticket sales...most likely do to a poor economy and what DC claims is very poor management by Phil Carson for Jimmy.

Kashmir sounded much better in concert. It's down to taste. It's not Robert singing but DC did a respectable job. Here is a link to them doing Kashmir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyUugPfFdQ4

Jeff

They did 7 shows from the 14th to the 22nd of December 1993

4 shows in Tokyo

2 shows in Osaka

1 show in Nagoya

Probably the most bootlegged short tour in history. They were slated to tour the states but it was canceled due to poor ticket sales...most likely do to a poor economy and what DC claims is very poor management by Phil Carson for Jimmy.

Kashmir sounded much better in concert. It's down to taste. It's not Robert singing but DC did a respectable job. Here is a link to them doing Kashmir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyUugPfFdQ4

Jeff

OMG - I didn't get into the Kashmir link b/c it wasn't working but MY GOD !! Rock and Roll and Black Dog are incredible!! And I had no idea what a flashy stylish dresser David Coverdale was on stage, too. :D Jimmy was boppin' with his trademark cig on Black Dog, and sounded superb on both songs. So did D.C. His voice range - wow- he hit those high notes like butter. No wonder Robert snatched Jimmy back up a year later to do the Page/Plant projects. Yowsa, what a treat the Japanese had. LUCKY them! Thanks for the links.

Now, I'd love to see Jimmy put out some of his work with The Firm and C/P in a nice box set, with video and audio, and a 20 page booklet. Maybe in time for Christmas? :lol:

;)

gonna have to go with the firm if only for the fact that it was truly a gift seeing jimmy tour again after so long...i could have cared less what he played.

Thats a fair comment, and I too was happy to see page live on The Firm tours but what sticks in my memory is The arena only being half full :(

I dig both The Firm and C/P equally, although I prefer to listen to the C/P album over The Firm stuff. But their were some great Firm moments from both albums. I really like Mean Business (it was a little heavier than the debut- the guitar solo on "Live in Peace" gives me fuckin goosebumps) but Page was playing great on the C/P album , theirs no denying that fact!

I dig both The Firm and C/P equally, although I prefer to listen to the C/P album over The Firm stuff. But their were some great Firm moments from both albums. I really like Mean Business (it was a little heavier than the debut- the guitar solo on "Live in Peace" gives me fuckin goosebumps) but Page was playing great on the C/P album , theirs no denying that fact!

First time I heard Don't Leave Me This Way, I was up against the wall, lol, his playing literally pushed me to the wall and I was holding my heart B) And David's voice is incredible on that song. And then, there's whisper a Prayer for the Dying, and then there's the album cover... .

Thats a fair comment, and I too was happy to see page live on The Firm tours but what sticks in my memory is The arena only being half full :(

jimmy can play in an arena with only one-(me), and i wouldn't even notice. boxoffice has nothing to do with the music being great.....

edit to add: ....for me, anyway.

jimmy can play in an arena with only one-(me), and i wouldn't even notice. boxoffice has nothing to do with the music being great.....

Closer, Satisfaction Guaranteed, Make or Break, Midnight Moonlight, Cadillac, Live in Peace, Tear down the Walls, Dreaming...all killer tunes in their own rite. The C/P album was more of what people are used to hearing from Jimmy. He was sort of set back as a dominant figure on The Firm material. I have a live disk from the Hammersmith in 1984. The version of The Chase they did (from the Deathwish album) was an instrumental with all three instruments taking on solos in between them jamming on a riff-which is just fantastic. The C/P stuff is more intense and musically satisfying - but both are respectable components

Both are good, but totally different types of music:

- Firm was more like mainstream rock music

- C/P was much heavier, parts of it could be called metal

Both have great singers, I enjoyed Paul Rodgers as well as David Coverdale.

Still prefer C/P due to the enormous power the album had.

You know, after reading the news of the day- Jimmy Says Led Zeppelin Tour Dead For Now- I feel it's time for another Jimmy project to blow us all away. I hope it's either with Paul Rogers, David Coverdale or both again. Or someone fresh, like Edge. Hell, I'd even see him play live with Jack White! What's gotta be done, whatever it takes- just do it before The Reaper comes a rockin'...

lens1416432_homer_simpson_grim_reaper.gif

Anyone else feel it's time for Jimmy to MOVE ON to more livelier things?

:unsure:

You know, after reading the news of the day- Jimmy Says Led Zeppelin Tour Dead For Now- I feel it's time for another Jimmy project to blow us all away. I hope it's either with Paul Rogers, David Coverdale or both again. Or someone fresh, like Edge. Hell, I'd even see him play live with Jack White! What's gotta be done, whatever it takes- just do it before The Reaper comes a rockin'...

I for one certainly agree with you. In fact, that really was my point (can't speak for other people) in my posts about not minding seeing JP and JPJ go play other shows with Dave Grohl/the Foo Fighters. I know some people aren't fans of his, but that isn't really the point. For me, the point is that I really don't care who he does a project with (within reason of course...) as long as he is out there playing and I get to hear and see it. It certainly would be nice for JPJ and other talented musicians (including Jason!) to be out there with him, though.

as i've said many times on this board, you can put jimmy's picture on the side of a goldfish and i'll buy it. (i would like it to be a big goldfish).

as i've said many times on this board, you can put jimmy's picture on the side of a goldfish and i'll buy it. (i would like it to be a big goldfish).

Then you've GOT to have these action figures?

d_1880.jpg

jimmy-page2.jpg

(I wish i had them! they're so life-like it's spooky...)

:D

Maybe, but seeing any arena half fullwatching anything isn't good in my book :(, but once they were on then yes you didn't notice.

Maybe, but seeing any arena half fullwatching anything isn't good in my book :(, but once they were on then yes you didn't notice.

i'm sorry for that. i'm also sorry that you had to see page that way. it's never happened to me (i've never seen jimmy page in a half full arena). i did see an anthrax/ public enemy concert that only sold 600 or so tickets in a college arena and it was awesome! we all got upgraded (duh!) to 4th and 5th row and had a blast. both bands were so cool about i walked out with a higher respect for them after the show than i had before.

i must say that it seems that if one pays attention when a door closes, another often opens. i love baseball, and there is nothing better than watching the cubs win at wrigley with the park full. but i've done that many times. some the best times i've had have been when the weather turned bad and thousands left but the game didn't get called. then i saw some real baseball-with the REAL fans.

good luck to you in the future...

i'm sorry for that. i'm also sorry that you had to see page that way. it's never happened to me (i've never seen jimmy page in a half full arena). i did see an anthrax/ public enemy concert that only sold 600 or so tickets in a college arena and it was awesome! we all got upgraded (duh!) to 4th and 5th row and had a blast. both bands were so cool about i walked out with a higher respect for them after the show than i had before.

i must say that it seems that if one pays attention when a door closes, another often opens. i love baseball, and there is nothing better than watching the cubs win at wrigley with the park full. but i've done that many times. some the best times i've had have been when the weather turned bad and thousands left but the game didn't get called. then i saw some real baseball-with the REAL fans.

good luck to you in the future...

Talking of Baseball when I say the Tampa Bay Rays the arena wasn't even quarter full but still had a good time !!

At the time I thought The Firm didn't really work, and I still haven't really changed my mind. The problem wasn't the musicianship as such, and the bootleg stuff I have heard on the whole sounds perhaps better than the studio offerings. Paul Rodgers is an excellent singer, no doubt about that. But stylistically Rodgers and Jimmy just don't fit together very well. In my opinion Rodgers sounded best in Free, primarily because he and Kossoff were an excellent match, but Jimmy needs to work with a singer that has a similarly loose approach.

So, in short, I thought The Firm's songs sounded like a mixture of two different styles. 'Radioactive' is pure Rodgers - Jimmy sounds like he's back to being a session player.... 'Midnight Moonlight' is a great song, but still, I always start thinking 'Swan Song', and what if it had been recorded 10 years earlier....

Coverdale/Page had excellent stuff from Jimmy, good playing, some good songs, and it was great to hear backwards echo again. But David Coverdale was simply awful. Most people develop a distinct style over the years, whereas he lost his style and became a heavy metal caricature. It's a pity. He was good with Deep Purple and the early Whitesnake. Lyrically, however, I am not sure he would ever have been a good choice for Jimmy. Even so I do occasionally listen to things like 'Easy Does It' purely because of Jimmy's playing.

Of Jimmy's post-Zep projects I would rate Outrider and perhaps Jugula the highest.

The Firm or Coverdale Page ???

The very first thought that comes to mind is ---- I can't compare or choose between the two.

It's impossible to say which one is better , but within reason to say which is preferable.

Both offer up some unique times in JP's musical career and I thoroughly enjoy both equally.

Weather it be the early 80's sound that Jimmy newly created for himself or the early 1993 resurrection of his guitar layering once again.

I find most album's ( CD's now ) rise and fall on the personal playability charts.

One week it's ITTOD over and over , and then it's The Firm , followed by Zepp ll and then C/P.

And the list goes , the point being that we all find certain elements more attractive at various times.

Vocally I will take Paul over David, and having seen both many times , I think Rodgers has to be considered one of the most soulful and endearing singer's of all time.

He's pushing 60 now and can still hit the notes . No fake falsetto's , all real and clear and precise singing. The guy is a living legend and should be classified as one of the best at preserving his voice for so many years.

The Queen tours say it all.

Coverdale on the other hand , has gone the way of the aging vocalist . Ala RP .

He was superb in his days with DP and early Snake . One of the greats.

The one thing that tarnishes his image to me is his stage antics.

The C/P Japan 93 tour is what I use as the example.

His often critical and sarcastic choice of words while between songs is just plain tacky.

The F-ing this and F-ing that is over the top crude .

I wondered if it had anything to do with JP pulling out of the proposed NA tour.

Although most agree that sub-par advance ticket sales was that problem.

Dave can still sing and Y-tube has countless vid's to support that . Namely some of the recent acoustic / unplugged work he's done . The voice ain't quite the same in power and pitch , but I think he's found what most singer's look for in that lower comfortable range. Ala RP.

For my money , I'd take a rock steady and kick ass front man ---- Mr. Rodgers.

Ironically , I will add that both singer's do lack in lyrical diversity.

Why does every song have to be about chicks ??? Jeeeesus.

I had the pleasure of seeing The Firm in 85 and 86 three times .

JP wasn't exactly in TSRTS form , but his alternate style and sound was impressive to me.

I was also young and naive back then and definitely on OMG it's Jimmy mode.

Upon listening to the better live recordings from those two tours , I really have to say that they sounded great . Some nights were sloppy at times for JP , but each show had moments of total brilliance as well. Like many LZ shows of the past.

The Cleveland soundboard from 86 is a good example.

Maybe it's a time capsule thing , but those Firm days and that sound was music to my ears.

The studio albums still get played often , and I find myself reliving my youth perhaps.

Also , meeting Paul in person not long ago was a great moment for a fan like me and I will say that he is genuinely one of the most gracious and humble rock stars I've met.

I got him to sign both my Firm CD covers , and now would love to get JP's signature on them.

Aaaaaaaah 1985 , where did all those years go ---- lol !!

Cheers

CrawfordLake028.jpg

SeattleLZ.jpg

CrawfordLake003.jpg

Also , meeting Paul in person not long ago was a great moment for a fan like me and I will say that he is genuinely one of the most gracious and humble rock stars I've met.

I got him to sign both my Firm CD covers , and now would love to get JP's signature on there.

Aaaaaaaah 1985 , where did all those years go ---- lo

Cheers

CrawfordLake003.jpg

You're lucky you didn't meet him in The Firm days when the drugs had a hold. He was obnoxious and known as "the most hated man in rock". Cleaning up has done wonders for him and I would agree that he is now a genuinely nice guy - and has re-gained his pals in the business.

Nice post and nice photo. Cheers. :beer:

Archived