The Firm or Coverdale Page

zeptangerine

You're lucky you didn't meet him in The Firm days when the drugs had a hold. He was obnoxious and known as "the most hated man in rock". Cleaning up has done wonders for him and I would agree that he is now a genuinely nice guy - and has re-gained his pals in the business.

Nice post and nice photo. Cheers. :beer:

CrawfordLake003.jpg

wow, great photo Zepp :)

And Knebby, as you are aware, this is a similar thing that happened with Jason...although it was the booze that Jason had the big problem with. He has said himself that those were pretty dark days for him.

I was unaware of Paul's past drug problems. It's good to see, like Jason, he has made it through and is happy and healthy.

Cheers

CrawfordLake003.jpg

That's a great photo! Glad you had a good experience - I personally always thought that Paul was a nice guy but I am remembering the 70's, not the 80's when the drugs took hold. Drugs and alcohol can change the nicest people into something else. Glad he's clean and well and back to being the nice guy that he really is. :)

Aaaaaaaah 1985 , where did all those years go ---- lol !!

Never mind the 80's, I am really dating myself because I remember Paul Rodgers, not only from his days with Bad but also from when he was with Free. That was a long time ago. :lol:

wow, great photo Zepp :)

And Knebby, as you are aware, this is a similar thing that happened with Jason...although it was the booze that Jason had the big problem with. He has said himself that those were pretty dark days for him.

I was unaware of Paul's past drug problems. It's good to see, like Jason, he has made it through and is happy and healthy.

To be honest, I don't know much about the early adult years of Jason or that he had once had a drinking problem. To me he was "Bonzo's little boy" but then I woke up one day and he was all grown up with his own career.

Oh, Miss HD, sometimes you write something about Jason and then I start thinking about Bonzo (especially today, after watching the "Bonzo's Birthday" vid that a friend posted and then thinking about the sad anniversary that's coming up in a week or so.) I think that there is also/often an inaccurate depiction of the kind of person that Bonzo was because of stories that have circulated about things that he did when he was drinking heavily (e.g., verbally abusing bellhops, threatening waiters, etc.) but the reality was that, away from the drinking, he was a funny and kind and good person.

I saw The Firm a few times live and they were superb - Jimy was a bit gone but overall they were great live, however the 2 albums were very poorly produced and did themno justice at all

Coverdale-Page excellent album and the songs were top notch; so Coverdale Page for me by some distance

To be honest, I don't know much about the early adult years of Jason or that he had once had a drinking problem. To me he was "Bonzo's little boy" but then I woke up one day and he was all grown up with his own career.

Oh, Miss HD, sometimes you write something about Jason and then I start thinking about Bonzo (especially today, after watching the "Bonzo's Birthday" vid that a friend posted and then thinking about the sad anniversary that's coming up in a week or so.) I think that there is also/often an inaccurate depiction of the kind of person that Bonzo was because of stories that have circulated about things that he did when he was drinking heavily (e.g., verbally abusing bellhops, threatening waiters, etc.) but the reality was that, away from the drinking, he was a funny and kind and good person.

Jason has always been very open about his struggle with the booze. It got to a point, where after being cast as an alcoholic drummer in Rock Star and told "just be yourself" by the director, that Jason realised something had to be done. He entered rehab and it worked wonders for him, he said it was a very positive experience.

In relation to dear Bonzo, Jason has spoken about how he thanked people for comparing him to his dad when he was out partying and drinking. He took it as a compliment. I always feel that to lose a parent at such an impressionable and vulnerable age like Jason was must be shattering...not to say that losing a parent at any age isn't devastating, but for a young teenage boy who adored and looked up to his father....I really can't imagine what effect it has on your emotional development. gosh, I'm feeling a bit choked up typing this.. :'(

Jason has always been very open about his struggle with the booze. It got to a point, where after being cast as an alcoholic drummer in Rock Star and told "just be yourself" by the director, that Jason realised something had to be done. He entered rehab and it worked wonders for him, he said it was a very positive experience.

In relation to dear Bonzo, Jason has spoken about how he thanked people for comparing him to his dad when he was out partying and drinking. He took it as a compliment. I always feel that to lose a parent at such an impressionable and vulnerable age like Jason was must be shattering...not to say that losing a parent at any age isn't devastating, but for a young teenage boy who adored and looked up to his father....I really can't imagine what effect it has on your emotional development. gosh, I'm feeling a bit choked up typing this.. :'(

You are a special lady, you know that eh?

Aww Miss H! Here's a hug for you!

1.gif

Thank you Roxie...much appreciated :)

You are a special lady, you know that eh?

:blush:

I just get a bit emotional when writing about Jason's struggles and his bond with John.

I am so, so pleased he seems to be at peace with himself now and enjoys life and his family to the full.

It's been a wonderful thing to see, this transformation of Jason Bonham. There was a time when I thought his Dad's main legacy to him was going to be the mistakes that caused us to lose John so early--but no, Jason inherited John's talent and intelligence too, and it's great to see they're finally in the ascendancy. :)

The Firm or Coverdale Page ???

The very first thought that comes to mind is ---- I can't compare or choose between the two.

For my money , I'd take a rock steady and kick ass front man ---- Mr. Rodgers.

Cheers

I hear you- it is a difficult question, but it must be asked in trying times like these. ;) Although I have to admit, I loved the songs from C/P way better than The Firm, and I also loved seeing Jimmy live on stage with The Firm (well, what I could from my seat anyway).

It just seems like Jimmy doesn't have anything to do these days but putz around the garden (hopefully sober this time), so I'm really wishing he'll go forward with another successful collaboration. And soon. I still don't see why he and John Paul can't go forward with something together, now, if the time is available.

n.b. Put that and the O2 dvd on my Christmas wish list... ^_^

It's been a wonderful thing to see, this transformation of Jason Bonham. There was a time when I thought his Dad's main legacy to him was going to be the mistakes that caused us to lose John so early--but no, Jason inherited John's talent and intelligence too, and it's great to see they're finally in the ascendancy. :)

Well said, Aqua :)

Coverdale/Page album was sooo much better in my opinion than The Firm.It would have been cool to see a U.S. tour but from what I have read ticket sale projections were really bad.I've seen on youtube some shows from Japan they played and it was not half bad.The bad half was Coverversion!Maybe Jimmy needs to team up with another blonde haired singer to get Robert mad and show him how it's done!Cmon guys one more spin around!

Coverdale/Page album was sooo much better in my opinion than The Firm.It would have been cool to see a U.S. tour but from what I have read ticket sale projections were really bad.I've seen on youtube some shows from Japan they played and it was not half bad.The bad half was Coverversion!Maybe Jimmy needs to team up with another blonde haired singer to get Robert mad and show him how it's done!Cmon guys one more spin around!

page really did get back in form in the studio for c/p. my vote is totally biased based on the live performance, and, alas.....i didn't make it to japan.

that said, i have seen whitesnake and even bought 'slide it in'. loved the album, the show was shiite. also, i love you-tube but never judge a performance on it versus an actual show-bad mistake.

jimmy page live-it's what i live for. love the records, love the songs, love his mastery over the studio, but page live is where it is at. nothing equals the passion, the balls, the chops, or the tone. seen hundreds upon hundreds of concerts but my top 20 all have page playing in them.

This dissapointing thing to me is that Page and DC didn't hook up when the rumors of "Page in Whitesnake" happened circa 82 or 83...David was in much better voice then (I think Knebby would concur) but as been pointed out in a different thread the rumors were totally false. Would have been interesting THEN however.

As for the Firm? The horrid production of those albums always bothered me. Particularly since Page was involved...Midnight Moonlight had great potential as an epic song, but the problem (as is with DC) was lyrics...PR isn't known to compose lyrics of greatest import and the production made the song rather weak. The demos recorded during 1974 were far superior and they were just demos.

I'd mark DC down further for the lyric writing though...ummmm....he can be rather cringe inducing at times...to be kind

Jeff

This dissapointing thing to me is that Page and DC didn't hook up when the rumors of "Page in Whitesnake" happened circa 82 or 83...David was in much better voice then (I think Knebby would concur) but as been pointed out in a different thread the rumors were totally false. Would have been interesting THEN however.

As for the Firm? The horrid production of those albums always bothered me. Particularly since Page was involved...Midnight Moonlight had great potential as an epic song, but the problem (as is with DC) was lyrics...PR isn't known to compose lyrics of greatest import and the production made the song rather weak. The demos recorded during 1974 were far superior and they were just demos.

I'd mark DC down further for the lyric writing though...ummmm....he can be rather cringe inducing at times...to be kind

Jeff

Sorry , but Page with Coverdale in 82 / 83 ????

Jimmy's use of the Telecaster / Arms / Firm tone and sound then was waaaaaaaay out of reach for anything Snakey . JP was in a different world then .

I'm glad he hooked up with Paul , wrote some great songs and toured .

Analyzing production and breaking down the tracks from those Firm efforts is for people that like to do that. Just listen to it is my opinion. The spirit is there.

Midnight Moonlight is a masterpiece and represented the highlite of many of those live Firm shows. If you can't crank up the studio version on headphones and groove , oh well.

It blows me away every time.

What I love about The Firm and C/P is that they are both chapter's in a long and versatile career in music writing for Jimmy.

I honestly like the fact that JP has had the opportunity to work with so many talented musicians throughout the years. It adds flavour.

Considering there was never going to be another Zeppelin , I'm glad we didn't get 10 more Walking In To Clarksdale's . JP's work with other vocalist's has been rewarding.

Another opinion is all.

Cheers

Sorry , but Page with Coverdale in 82 / 83 ????

Jimmy's use of the Telecaster / Arms / Firm tone and sound then was waaaaaaaay out of reach for anything Snakey . JP was in a different world then .

I'm glad he hooked up with Paul , wrote some great songs and toured .

Analyzing production and breaking down the tracks from those Firm efforts is for people that like to do that. Just listen to it is my opinion. The spirit is there.

Midnight Moonlight is a masterpiece and represented the highlite of many of those live Firm shows. If you can't crank up the studio version on headphones and groove , oh well.

It blows me away every time.

What I love about The Firm and C/P is that they are both chapter's in a long and versatile career in music writing for Jimmy.

I honestly like the fact that JP has had the opportunity to work with so many talented musicians throughout the years. It adds flavour.

Considering there was never going to be another Zeppelin , I'm glad we didn't get 10 more Walking In To Clarksdale's . JP's work with other vocalist's has been rewarding.

Another opinion is all.

Cheers

I think it's closer than you think. DC by 1993 had effectively shredded his voice (by the eternal and embarassing mistake that 1987 and Slip of the Tongue were) and at that point DC needed a much softer album to relax his voice (he did that with Into the Light in 2000) but the CP album, and the songs that were composed were great for Page...bad for DC. It took him nearly 10 years to recover from what he did to his voice then. I think Coverdale would agree.

Early Snake is much closer to The Firm than the later versions of Whitesnake were. DC would not have pushed his voice as hard as he did in 1993. It's a bit sad to me that these men hooked up at this point in their career. From 1973 to 1983 Cov's voice was fantastic.

I wonder what the combination of Jon Lord, Ian Paice, Jimmy Page, Neil Murray and David Coverdale would produce.

I 'll take the Firm over C/P anyday.

With the Firm, true the albums werent well produced by Page standards & his playing was very laid back, but the 'songs' were there. Live, I love the versions of "Closer", "Someone To Love", "Together", "Midnight Moonlight", "Fortune Hunter", "Cadillac", & "Live In Peace" on the bootlegs I have. The songs themselves stand up.

On C/P, the playing of Page is great but the 'songs' aren't really there as far as structure (excluding "Shake My Tree" & "Pride & Joy") & its way overproduced. Coverdale is laughable throughout. "Feelin' Hot" has to be the biggest waste of a good Page solo ever, what a shitty song it's so embaressing. Did Coverdale crib the lyrics from "Hustler" magazines' letter page?

But I would love to see Page play with someone who is like minded & can inspire him if Zep doesnt tour. I do nominate Jack White & Dave Grohl. White singing & playing acoustic or slide with Page would be great & Grohl I always loved as a drummer. Besides, I think they all respect eachother & could bring out something special in all of them that wouldnt sound necessarily like any of their respective bands. Just a thought. Oh, & throw JPJ in there to for good measure.

Archived