Jimmy Says - NO REUNION

Dandu

Led Zeppelin tour dead for now — Jimmy Page

Post a commentPosted by: Cameron French

Tags: Fan Fare, Jason Bonham, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin reunion, Robert Plant

Led Zeppelin fans praying for good news on a rumored reunion tour would not have been encouraged by guitarist Jimmy Page at a Toronto film festival press conference where he was promoting the documentary film “It Might Get Loud”.

The film, a love letter to the electric guitar, features Page, U2 guitarist The Edge, and White Stripes frontman Jack White discussing their musical backgrounds and jamming with each other on a soundstage.

But with all three rockers assembled in Toronto, the “elephant in the room”, as one reporter put it, was whether recent jam sessions with Page, bassist John Paul Jones, and drummer Jason Bonham would lead to a tour.

Page and Jones are founding band members, while Bonham is the son of original drummer John Bonham, who died in 1980.

“We’re not actually really recording. We played at the O2 (concert in London last year). That was our reunion,” Page said, adding “It’s nothing as monumental as what people are speculating and projecting.”

Moderator George Stroumboulopoulos was clearly trying to shield Page from having to answer questions about a reunion, redirecting questions from two reporters on the subject.

Finally, on the third try, Page answered.

“If you’re going to do a reunion, you need four members,” he said, referring to lead singer Robert Plant’s commitment to touring with U.S. country singer Alison Krauss.

Plant is nearing the end of a six-month world tour with bluegrass queen Krauss to promote their acclaimed 2007 album “Raising Sand.”

So fans looking for a “Whole Lotta Love,” are getting none of it from the rock icons, at least for now.

And another...

Breaking news: No Led Zeppelin reunion! (Probably!)

Simon Houpt, today at 5:22 PM EDT

Post the first comment Back to the blog

My colleague Guy Dixon just returned from the press conference for It Might Get Loud with this report:

And now for the real news of the festival. Is there going to be a Led Zeppelin reunion? Forget about films and their directors, stars and their red carpets. Jimmy Page, a subject of the guitar-driven doc It Might Get Loud, was asked once, then twice about the chances of a reunion at the film's press conference. Once, then twice he acted like he didn't hear the question. The CBC's George Stroumboulopoulos, moderating the presser, played along. Ground rules had obviously been set before the conference not to heed those kinds of questions, and journalists were told as much before Page entered, along with Jack White of the White Stripes and U2's The Edge.

But then one brave soul noted reported rumours that members of Zep were recording, as he threw Page once again. The guitarist is a very slight older man now (as opposed to the very slight younger man he once was), but he's nevertheless Jimmy Page. He did co-write Stairway to Heaven with all its mysterious power, after all.

Page had to answer. He said that the group basically had its reunion, its one-night show at London's O2 arena last December. And that was it. He added that the band jammed afterwards a little bit, but that it's "nothing as monumental" as what's been speculated. You basically need four members (with Jason Bonham taking on the role of his drummer father, John), Page added. One can only speculate he means Robert Plant who, according to rumours, continues to hold out on the notion of reuniting. And that was it.

You know I would take a Jimmy Page solo album :blink: as at this rate as its long overdue since he has recorded, so Jim if it aint going to happen with Zep please go ahead and give us another great album and tour :) on your own or with JPJ !!

And I'm back on suicide watch.

I have to admit that after Jason announced he was leaving Foreigner, I was excited, hoping that he, Jimmy and JPJ were working on something together regardless of Plant being involved at all. Of course Jason also wants to spend time with his family which is one reason he was leaving IIRC.

Obviously he really didn't want to answer questions like this at this time. His answer didn't surprise me. I still feel there is hope. When the time is right, we all may get the response we want. Who knows? Just seeing JP back in action is a good sign for me. I can't wait to see the flick and hope he puts something else out on his own or with the others.

Let's hope Robert finally gives in sometime soon!

I don't quite understand this belief. Personally, it was always Jimmy's playing that moved me. Even before the zep. All the session music he did, since I was a toddler. The prospects of him doing a truly solo album, where my ears get to hear his music sans vocals gets my heart thumping hard. And to top it off, if anyone sings, I want it to be him. Sheesh, I am being too honest. :P

I don't quite understand this belief. Personally, it was always Jimmy's playing that moved me. Even before the zep. All the session music he did, since I was a toddler. The prospects of him doing a truly solo album, where my ears get to hear his music sans vocals gets my heart thumping hard. And to top it off, if anyone sings, I want it to be him. Sheesh, I am being too honest. :P

Well, you can't be too honest (usually), but I have to say that much as I'm looking forward to hearing more Jimmy, I'd like to hear more of his guitar than his singing . . . :unsure: Even he doesn't think he's much of a singer . . .

I don't want to hear him with a singer who has to "give in" and resign himself to singing with him, either--that doesn't sound a very promising musical partnership! :D

Obviously he really didn't want to answer questions like this at this time. His answer didn't surprise me. I still feel there is hope. When the time is right, we all may get the response we want. Who knows? Just seeing JP back in action is a good sign for me. I can't wait to see the flick and hope he puts something else out on his own or with the others.

I look at this differently. What is Jimmy going to say? "Yes, we are going to put something together after Robert finishes his committments with the Alison Krauss collaboration" (which by the way, those contracts were signed before the O2 reunion show was even conceived) and leave Rounder Records staff. who are overwhelmed with dealing with Robert on a NORMAL day, to deal with two weeks of constant media hordes and hysteria on the final two weeks of the AKRP tour? Robert has two more months of work left with a Bluegrass operation, and the staff on board have never had to deal with paparazzi, media stalkers, etc. Jimmy is a smart man. Even if something is planned he is not going to disclose it until Robert is finished in Nashville and back on British soil.

I think we need to be patient. Just my opinion.

Well, you can't be too honest (usually), but I have to say that much as I'm looking forward to hearing more Jimmy, I'd like to hear more of his guitar than his singing . . . :unsure: Even he doesn't think he's much of a singer . . .

I don't want to hear him with a singer who has to "give in" and resign himself to singing with him, either--that doesn't sound a very promising musical partnership! :D

I suppose my point was, since I didn't make it clear enough, was that I agree. I am hoping he gets into some pretty eclectic stuff. I used to listen to the non vocal parts of Dazed and Confused for hours on end. Also, you know when Robert used to go... ah ah, into the mic? I would be thinking, please shut the *uck up. You are taking the focus off his amazing playing. I also listen to a lot of arabic music and have heard that he enjoys it, so I am hoping he ventures into that area. Plus the blues of course, and maybe even some classical? He's actually much less limited if he goes without a vocalist. And my reasoning for wanting no other vocalist, is to keep the focus on him and lots of famous singers aren't that good. Sometimes its' their oddity that makes them special. Even in the movie, the stupid camera men kept focusing on Robert's crotch. It was a drag. I am sure some die hard zep fans want to kill me by now. B)

I actually liked the parts where Robert used his voice like an instrument and they played off each other--Jimmy obviously liked that interplay too, it was something unique about Zeppelin at that time.

It would be ironic if Jimmy did focus on Arabic music in his new ventures, given all Plant's African and Arabic influences over the past several years (which of course were joint influences in the Page/Plant years).

I look at this differently. What is Jimmy going to say? "Yes, we are going to put something together after Robert finishes his committments with the Alison Krauss collaboration" (which by the way, those contracts were signed before the O2 reunion show was even conceived) and leave Rounder Records staff. who are overwhelmed with dealing with Robert on a NORMAL day, to deal with two weeks of constant media hordes and hysteria on the final two weeks of the AKRP tour? Robert has two more months of work left with a Bluegrass operation, and the staff on board have never had to deal with paparazzi, media stalkers, etc. Jimmy is a smart man. Even if something is planned he is not going to disclose it until Robert is finished in Nashville and back on British soil.

Great. You see it the way I do. It just makes sense.

Yes. Jimmy Page did not get where he is today by being stupid. And creating problems for Robert on the road would be just plain stupid. Everything will come together when it should.

Although, we don't know exactly how things will play out, I feel something will definitely happen. Great to stay positive. I have always been an optimist.

I agree with this as well. Jason already said that he was "jamming" with JP and JPJ but nothing was said about recording. As for the so-called reunion, what did Jimmy say that was any different than what we heard last March?

Nothing new here.

I actually liked the parts where Robert used his voice like an instrument and they played off each other--Jimmy obviously liked that interplay too, it was something unique about Zeppelin at that time.

It would be ironic if Jimmy did focus on Arabic music in his new ventures, given all Plant's African and Arabic influences over the past several years (which of course were joint influences in the Page/Plant years).

Concerning your first paragraph, that's where individual taste comes in. I see your point and I saw it then, but I personally found it really irritating. Just like I am probably one of the few people in the world that really doesn't like Janice Joplin's voice at all.

Robert's music hints on Arabic. Listen to Mercan Dede or Omer Faruk Tekbilek. And at that, I'd love to see what he could do on an Oud. I wonder if he has one.

And just think of what he could do let loose on that harp/guitar. I wonder how long this is going to take him... :)

Concerning your first paragraph, that's where individual taste comes in. I see your point and I saw it then, but I personally found it really irritating. Just like I am probably one of the few people in the world that really doesn't like Janice Joplin's voice at all.

Robert's music hints on Arabic. Listen to Mercan Dede or Omer Faruk Tekbilek. And at that, I'd love to see what he could do on an Oud. I wonder if he has one.

And just think of what he could do let loose on that harp/guitar. I wonder how long this is going to take him... :)

Yes, obviously personal taste is always going to be a factor.

I'm quite sure Robert has an oud (not that playing one is one of his strengths, though he did play ukelele with Tinariwen), and he's extremely familiar with Arabic music, has been for years. I'd suggest his recent Strange Sensation work did more than hint at it, not least because of the input of Justin Adams. :)

Yes, obviously personal taste is always going to be a factor.

I'm quite sure Robert has an oud (not that playing one is one of his strengths, though he did play ukelele with Tinariwen), and he's extremely familiar with Arabic music, has been for years. I'd suggest his recent Strange Sensation work did more than hint at it, not least because of the input of Justin Adams. :)

Any of it on You Tube?

Sorry to sound like such a stick in the mud. I just don't think we've yet heard Jimmy's full potention and I want to see him get at it.

i am not hearing anything new in jimmy's statement.

i agree with what kentucky girl said. we need to be patient. im just thankful he didnt come out with something like : " y'know, i may as well tell you all.....robert has said he will NEVER join john paul, jason and i . a zep reunion and tour will never happen, its over "........i mean, THAT statement would absolutely devastate me ( us ).

so i am still ever the optimist, and keep hopeing that we will hear something from jimmy, john paul, jason, and yes even robert.

Archived