Jimmy Says - NO REUNION

Dandu

I don't really think that he meant that the fans weren't important. The fan base did in fact come from four guy's making music on they're own terms. IMHO, it would be a real stretch to read anything nasty into that statement. As for the paper work, I'm guessing that he was taking the piss

As I said in the thread above this one, before reading this thread--

Just because I know how some will interpret this remark of his--when he says that LZ was not about the fans, he's talking about them following their own muse and not what was popular or expected.

Which is how people who care about music, and not money-making product, produce music. If people like it, great. If not, that's life. Zeppelin always had musical integrity.

As I said in the thread above this one, before reading this--

Just because I know how some will interpret this remark of his--when he says that LZ was not about the fans, he's talking about them following their own muse and not what was popular or expected.

Which is how people who care about music, and not money-making product, produce music. If people like it, great. If not, that's life. Zeppelin always had musical integrity.

Well said Aqua, I was thinking about this as well. Zeppelin never did something just to meet what the others wanted, they made music following their heart.

And read in that article, said that "it's not the idea of Reunion which he is oppose to", isn't that a good sign? *keep being optimistic* :D

As I said in the thread above this one, before reading this thread--

It's alway's been the case with Zeppelin's music. As has reading between the lines of comments and or interviews. Robert has respectfully taken the piss out of the whole Zep mystique for years. He's got a good sense of humor that at times just goes over some peoples heads. That's all

Unfortunately the press will run with the fan quote. Doesn't matter to them it's all about news/sensationalism.

It is already hitting more than one music site/source and not everyone likes being told FU as a fan wether that was Robert meant, I personally highly doubt it.

Probably though it would have been best to stick to no answer is the answer.

Blabbermouth link read some of the comments some slag some defend but again this just came out. Maybe he doesn't care, but others do and not everyone is a die hard fan and there are more than one site and article I have come across recently which are far from kind to Robert anymore.

Again right or wrong it's reality.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=105059

Unfortunately the press will run with the fan quote. Doesn't matter to them it's all about news/sensationalism.

It is already hitting more than one music site/source and not everyone likes being told FU as a fan wether that was Robert meant, I personally highly doubt it.

Probably though it would have been best to stick to no answer is the answer.

Blabbermouth link read some of the comments some slag some defend but again this just came out. Maybe he doesn't care, but others do and not everyone is a die hard fan and there are more than one site and article I have come across recently which are far from kind to Robert anymore.

Again right or wrong it's reality.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...wsitemID=105059

Talk, talk, talk, the press will always do what they want. That's what Robert meant with "those endless paperwork".

Talk, talk, talk, the press will always do what they want. That's what Robert meant with "those endless paperwork".

True but again we all are on a fan site so we are rather biased and rightfully so.

Others outside forums such as this are not and no matter how thick your skin is being slagged on is a bitch.

Hopefully something new will come out soon like a win at the AMA 's tonight, and this will get buried quick.

I dunno. The Stones have done a pretty good job of remaining relevant for a band from that era. What exactly do you expect from them? I'm not sure ANY act can maintain the same relevance that bands had back in the late 60s and early 70s before MTV when all you knew about music was what was on the radio and whoever showed up on a variety show on one of the big 3 networks. Back in the 60s the Beatles would put on 20 minute concerts and it was bedlam. The world is a different place today. There are too many bands, too much choice in entertainment. Information overload. And we know too much about celebrities. We're watching Ozzy eat his cereal in the morning in a bathrobe. We're a fly on the wall when Metallica cracks up in front of their shrink. Bands are blogging about every trivial thought that comes into their heads on their Myspace page. The mystique is GONE.

The way the O2 reunion reverberated through the world news outlets like it "mattered" was really quite remarkable in this day and age. The public is very fickle about what they consider to be earthshattering in the world of music.

I expect them to do it for the music and music lovers not just the cash or nostalgia.

Are they or any other band old and new for that matter, relevant?

Everything you've said is about everyone except Led Zeppelin or the individual members.

"Reality" tv shows and fly on the wall DVD's, who cares about all that crap?

The ONLY reality show I am interested in, is a live Zep or combination of said members, concert.

The difference between The Stones (and all the other bands that have been constantly touring) and Led Zeppelin is the the former are stale and the latter is like a breath of fresh air.

Contrary to popular belief there was communication before MTV, they were called magazines, Creem, Circus, Circus Raves, Juke, Rolling Stone, Melody Maker and New Musical Express etc.

People know as much as they want to know, just because the stories and photos are out there doesn't mean you HAVE to take notice of them.

As for too many bands today, there's no more or less than there were around back in the "Golden Years".

With a few exceptions, musicianship has fallen by the wayside.

BTW the Ahmet gig DID matter.

at least the stones rarely go out on tour without a new album to support-whether fans buy it or not, they are putting it out there after recording it for themselves. i've seen them a bunch of times and have always gotton my moneys worth.

i don't know, maybe the stones have or have not done it right. hard to say.

but they do it, regardless and that says alot.

i do know this.....

i want to see jimmy page onstage again-

Her is the actual link to the article/quote, summed up by Contact Music.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...reunion_1080846

I just had to log in to reply to that quote. First, :blink::huh: .

If that's the case then why ever record at all. You could do THAT in the garage. This makes no sense to me, and makes me wonder if Robert, ( btw, you know I love him) is losing it a tad bit.

Like that statement he made " I was never that guy." :huh: Just really freaky to me.

So, in other words, screw the "fans" hmmmm.......Jeez, who made you rich?

And I agree, Jimmy DOES care about the ZEP fans. The first DVD was proof of that.

So, Robert, what about now? Is Robert "about the fans?" If not, well...why tour at all. Or record.

If it's just about you then stay in the garage.

edited to add....ok, ok, I get it. Gut reaction at first glance^.*.bowing for forgiveness* :P

I had a gut reaction when I first read that statement but it was a sting - I think that I actually winced (ouch). But then I stepped back and thought about it and I realized that the statement could have been taken out of context (maybe there was more to what Robert said than was printed there).

I don't really think that he meant that the fans weren't important. The fan base did in fact come from four guy's making music on they're own terms. IMHO, it would be a real stretch to read anything nasty into that statement. As for the paper work, I'm guessing that he was taking the piss

We did come from that, didn't we? I've always believed that Zep's music was authentic and inspired by their inner muse/creative spirit and that is what allowed them to make music on their own terms - and that is what attracted us then and that is a major reason why so many of us remain fans all these decades later. I may be wrong but I don't think that the Zep guys (and/or Grant and Ertegun) ever sat down and consciously targeted a specific demographic and then made music that they believed could be packaged and sold to the fans who fell into that target demographic.

I think that, at least during their heyday, their fans have always mattered to the Zep guys. For those of us who are veterans of LZ concerts (particularly the ones prior to '77), I don't think the Zep guys ever gave us a bad night - the incredible music, the banter with us, the long lengths of the shows, the time they gave us when we were able to approach them, performing despite sore throats, intestinal problems, recently healed fingers, etc.

I interpreted the comment about the paperwork as possibly having to do with the large size of the entourage that would be required at this stage in their lives - and a larger entourage would require more paperwork (and possibly hassles) - legal and otherwise. When Zep was touring, each year that they came back to the U.S., their entourage grew in size. I wasn't around for the '77 tour but I've talked to friends who were there and they've told me about the individual handlers/minders required by each Zep guy in addition to all of the other people who accompanied them.

Actually, Paul is a talented musician, a strict vegetarian, was paid by an animal rights group to promote the anti seal hunt, he also smokes a lot of weed and was pussy whipped for a while....

To keep on topic; Jimmy and the boys will be writing and then they'll go from there....

He may be a talented musician but he hasn't been a very deep thinker

The ONLY reality show I am interested in, is a live Zep or combination of said members, concert.

You ain't talkin' trash, my friend: the way that malignant old fart "Sumner Redstone's" Viacom monstrosity has fucked up MTV and VH1 with that utterly worthless tripe is ample justification for a mass necktie party. I used to love to watch Behind the Music & Legends; now it's nothing but whiny twerps who only know 2 chords, rap morons who should be in prison and an unceasing tide of shit like Flava of Love and those idiotic I Love The... things with the "comedians" who're as funny as a bad case of 'roids.......

The great majority of today's kids look to that filth to let them know what's "kewl" - which is precisely why we see all these pathetic baggy-assed, sideways-capped assclowns gittin' jiggy wit Snoop Snoopity Fiddy...... :angry:

That quote from Robert sums it all up. As we see yet again, it's always about HIM. He is a real ME person.

Thank you Robert. So glad that you care.

Just like you, scs!

Once again a thread is hijacked by Robert bashers.

It never ceases to amaze how people take things reported in the media out of context.

It's all about interpretation, some will take it as gospel while others will see it for what it is, just taking the piss out of the reporters who hang off every word yet fail to print it verbatim.

I guarantee if the interview were shown on tv the whole spin would have been totally and completely different, as you get the whole package including the emotion and a real

indication of what was actually conveyed.

I take half of what is claimed to be said with a grain of salt and disregard the rest.

"Read All About It!"

"Sensationalism sells newspapers."

I had a gut reaction when I first read that statement but it was a sting - I think that I actually winced (ouch). But then I stepped back and thought about it and I realized that the statement could have been taken out of context (maybe there was more to what Robert said than was printed there).

We did come from that, didn't we? I've always believed that Zep's music was authentic and inspired by their inner muse/creative spirit and that is what allowed them to make music on their own terms - and that is what attracted us then and that is a major reason why so many of us remain fans all these decades later. I may be wrong but I don't think that the Zep guys (and/or Grant and Ertegun) ever sat down and consciously targeted a specific demographic and then made music that they believed could be packaged and sold to the fans who fell into that target demographic.

I think that, at least during their heyday, their fans have always mattered to the Zep guys. For those of us who are veterans of LZ concerts (particularly the ones prior to '77), I don't think the Zep guys ever gave us a bad night - the incredible music, the banter with us, the long lengths of the shows, the time they gave us when we were able to approach them, performing despite sore throats, intestinal problems, recently healed fingers, etc.

I interpreted the comment about the paperwork as possibly having to do with the large size of the entourage that would be required at this stage in their lives - and a larger entourage would require more paperwork (and possibly hassles) - legal and otherwise. When Zep was touring, each year that they came back to the U.S., their entourage grew in size. I wasn't around for the '77 tour but I've talked to friends who were there and they've told me about the individual handlers/minders required by each Zep guy in addition to all of the other people who accompanied them.

Your right MSG, we did come from that. I think it would also be safe to say that as the journey went along, they gained and lost some fans with each new album. They were about the music. It was up to us whether or not we went along for the ride.

As for the entourage, good point. It sure would make getting a good nights sleep difficult :D

Wow man! perfect!! i couldnt agree more!!!!!

You ain't talkin' trash, my friend: the way that malignant old fart "Sumner Redstone's" Viacom monstrosity has fucked up MTV and VH1 with that utterly worthless tripe is ample justification for a mass necktie party. I used to love to watch Behind the Music & Legends; now it's nothing but whiny twerps who only know 2 chords, rap morons who should be in prison and an unceasing tide of shit like Flava of Love and those idiotic I Love The... things with the "comedians" who're as funny as a bad case of 'roids.......

The great majority of today's kids look to that filth to let them know what's "kewl" - which is precisely why we see all these pathetic baggy-assed, sideways-capped assclowns gittin' jiggy wit Snoop Snoopity Fiddy...... :angry:

I would like to see the entire context as well. The article certainly seems to be applying his statement to the widespread desire of fans for a tour. As has been said they (LZ) never made music based on what their fans or critics expected. But I don't know if that's what he was refering to, it seems the conversation was aimed at the current events. Even if he was talking about their musical past I think that once they had a packed stadium full of fans that their goal was to get every single person in that crowd off on their music for those 3 hours.

I'm not trying to be a "Plant Hater" as someone insisted, but historically speaking, Robert has been the one to drag his feet about various LZ projects and things that Jimmy has wanted to do; he projects a somewhat selfish (for lack of a better word) persona in the media. I'm not ripping him; his voice, his look, his contributions to LZ help to make them my favorite band! I'm just calling it like I see it.

With the endless amount of questions he is getting on the subject, he must get tired of it all. As I stated, I don't think there is anything in this article to seriously raise eyebrows. What does bother me though is the constant need to either bash or defend him. Why ? He, like the rest of the band, will be scrutinized for what they say because we all retain hope that they will perform together again. Roberts problem is that he chooses to make a comment. Jimmy on the other hand is usually pretty slick on how he chooses his words. Zeppelin were alway's a sum of they're parts. As much as I would love to see them again, if they are unable to be that way now, then it just wouldn't work and we'd see right through it. I don't want that to be my last Zeppelin memory

I would like to see the entire context as well. The article certainly seems to be applying his statement to the widespread desire of fans for a tour. As has been said they (LZ) never made music based on what their fans or critics expected. But I don't know if that's what he was refering to, it seems the conversation was aimed at the current events. Even if he was talking about their musical past I think that once they had a packed stadium full of fans that their goal was to get every single person in that crowd off on their music for those 3 hours.

I'm not trying to be a "Plant Hater" as someone insisted, but historically speaking, Robert has been the one to drag his feet about various LZ projects and things that Jimmy has wanted to do; he projects a somewhat selfish (for lack of a better word) persona in the media. I'm not ripping him; his voice, his look, his contributions to LZ help to make them my favorite band! I'm just calling it like I see it.

Having seen him in an "offstage" -type environment, I would prefer that we use the word "hesitant" to describe him rather than selfish. Believe me, he is not selfish. Not by a long shot.

Ok, now no one shoot the messenger and of course The Sun is the most credible journalism....not.

Just saw this, talk about spin.

Sometimes you just wish you could just smack who ever writes this stuff!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showb...icle1712616.ece

Oops I just saw that Miss Honeydripper posted this well.

I guess it will stand in both threads cause I can't delete post anyways spin spin spin!

Having seen him in an "offstage" -type environment, I would prefer that we use the word "hesitant" to describe him rather than selfish. Believe me, he is not selfish. Not by a long shot.

I wasn't saying that I think he's a selfish person in real life, just that the way he presents himself in the public eye makes him seem that way.

That quote from Robert sums it all up. As we see yet again, it's always about HIM. He is a real ME person.

Thank you Robert. So glad that you care.

Do you think that ANY musicians (particularly the old school, when bands were bands) are there 'for the fans'? You're sadly mistaken... that gets said because that's what people like you want to hear - it's never been true.

RP isn't being a 'ME' person, as you put it, he's being honest.

Do you think that ANYONE tours, puts up with the press and the rest of it FOR THE FANS!?!? It's because that's how they make their living!

Archived