first Led Zeppelin show you found.

Cecil.

First were a taped-off-the-radio copy the '69 and '71 BBC shows, 20 years ago now. Blew me away then just like they still do when I drag those shows out.

First disc was Coming Back on the Murder Stage. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I don't care what anyone says about the Cleveland 77 show -- to me is still an enjoyable performance.

First were a taped-off-the-radio copy the '69 and '71 BBC shows, 20 years ago now. Blew me away then just like they still do when I drag those shows out.

Very sick shows as well. loved all the bbc work they did

My first was actually the final show in Berlin 1980, damn near twenty five years ago now. No way in hell does it still stand up! Frankfurt, and arguably Zurich, are the only shows on that tour where Zeppelin doesn't sound like a bad cover band...

I think the first Zeppelin show I got was 1975-02-16 St. Louis, MO. Not a very good source. So this one hasn't been one of my favourites. I think shortly after I got a few at a time, 1975-02-13 Uniondale, NY, Live at Whiskey A Go Go, Boston Tea Party, and those have really held up in my mind.

probably either "Danke! Vienna" or "Live at Whisky A Go Go".

I won't know what the boot community thinks about these two, but they stand up for me.

It's hard not to like a bootleg because it adds to Led Zeppelin culture. The only thing that makes me find a bootleg annoying is a really loud whistling sound that just won't go away.

Most of the first several shows I got were all on vinyl. My first was Montreal 75 from 2/6. The line that someone next to the taper said "Long live the melloton", is quite memorable.I'll never forget hearing Kashmir live for the first time. Pretty mesmerizing. After that was probably Going To California 9/14/71 (one of the best aud recordings. To this day I think it's the best version of SIBLY they've ever done. No doubt about it), Destroyer from 4/27 (pretty cool Nutrocker), Winterland from 4/26/69 (great show, crap recording) and Knebworth 79 from the 4th (not a great recording). Montreal 75 and Going To California live up the best as they were the best quality of the bunch. Montreal was a decent show overall but not great. Nothing more we need to say about GTC. Speaks for itself.

• 4 weeks later...

My first recording of live Zep was Killing Floor from 4-24-69 (mind-blowing stuff), and the next one was Guitar Solo/Achilles Last Stand from 4-27-77 (when I first time heard it, that was something like - "hey, what's going on?!", so sloppy performance but there was that magic feeling).

First Zep show I found was the vinyl bootleg 'Persistence'. While I treasure it as my very first boot, it's not the best show or quality either. But I still love it. :)

I have that one too. Clever parody of the "Presence" cover and a nice pressing. Most importantly, I was at the show! :D

My first boots were Seattle 1973, then Detroit 1975 and LA 9-4-70. All great shows, though the sound ate balls for the most part. The newer CD versions are quite a bit better.

Most of the first several shows I got were all on vinyl. My first was Montreal 75 from 2/6. The line that someone next to the taper said "Long live the melloton", is quite memorable.I'll never forget hearing Kashmir live for the first time. Pretty mesmerizing.

This was my first Zeppelin show too, also on vinyl, but mine was called The 1975 World Tour. Funny that you should mention Kashmir from that, because I have always loved that version. I remember the "long live the mellotron" line (which was followed by "long live the poor booster" or something like that).

• 2 weeks later...

My first show that I bought were a few. It was May 1987, and I was at a record convention as we called them. There was a dealer who had boxes of Zeppelin bootleg LPs. I bought the 4/27/69 show which was in 2 box sets, and both set came with a T-shirt of the album cover! The big appeal to me was the amount of unknown song titles on it (they broke the As Long As I Have You medley into indivdual song titles as well as How Many More Times). I also bought the 4/27/77 Cleveland show, so my first two shows are pretty well known. The 1969 show is still a personal favorite of mine, but I kind of got burned out on the 1977 tour.

My first show that I bought were a few. It was May 1987, and I was at a record convention as we called them.

I loved the record conventions- that's how I got many of my Zep boots. Around here they were usually on a Sunday, either at a Holiday Inn or American Legion Hall. I wonder if there are any sort of record/cd conventions that still go on today?

First Boot LP (late 70s) probably Blueberry Hill...

First Boot CD (1990) BBC stuff (bought it in a boot cd store in Toronto while traveling).

It was a silver disc, no cover artwork, just a LP Sigil on the top of the CD (made in Italy).

R B)

I loved the record conventions- that's how I got many of my Zep boots. Around here they were usually on a Sunday, either at a Holiday Inn or American Legion Hall. I wonder if there are any sort of record/cd conventions that still go on today?

Probably, but thanks to the internet, we can get all those shows for free now. Then again, I'm sure there are still people out there who don't know that bootlegs exist and will still find them at record conventions and buy them.

My first was From London to Dallas...the Dallas show listed as June 75 ....lol...it was a dbl CD backed with some BBC stuff...at least they got the year right on the BBC stuff...all that for the rather cheap price of 80 bucks ...canadian...lol..it was 1988 after all...but man I was so knocked out by the sbd quality of the Dallas show..having already heard the BBC on Radio back in 86 ...I think that was a Westwood One show that I taped...so I already had that...getting sidetracked here...the next one I bought was Dinosaur from the 80 tour...another sbd..so imagine my shock when I bought Blueberry Hill on the old Neutral Zone label...even though it was an audience source I was so blown away by the performance that I never worried about what source I bought aud or sbd...I spent a LOT of money in 4 years on bootlegs...the best being the Uncensored box set...and now I can get em all for free :rolleyes: ....still have 'em all too... :)....and to end this rather rambling post ...just listened to the new sbd last night... :D :D ...

Forgot the intent of this thread....yeah it still stands up :thumbsup:....playing it now and taking heed of Bonzo's command..."Louder...!"...lol

It sounds like you are talking about the 9/29/71 Osaka show tape that being with Bonham yelling "Testing Testing! Louder!" Then he launches them into Immigrant Song.

It was such a shock to see all those board tapes surface in 1988-1989. Prior to that, there were zero soundboards from 1975 and 1980. Then those albums started coming out really fast for a while. My first Zep CD boot was Zurich 1980, which I believe might have been the very first Zep CD bootleg. It was weird seeing a bootleg on CD if you can believe it!

It sounds like you are talking about the 9/29/71 Osaka show tape that being with Bonham yelling "Testing Testing! Louder!" Then he launches them into Immigrant Song.

It was such a shock to see all those board tapes surface in 1988-1989. Prior to that, there were zero soundboards from 1975 and 1980. Then those albums started coming out really fast for a while. My first Zep CD boot was Zurich 1980, which I believe might have been the very first Zep CD bootleg. It was weird seeing a bootleg on CD if you can believe it!

When the tapes surfaced did anyone change their opinion about the shows?

My first boot after the Song Remains The Same is called White Summer, live at the Playhouse Theatre, London, June 27, 1969, from the BBC sessions, later released on The BBC Sessions CD, just mind blowing!!!!!!

The "White Summer" bootleg sounds a lot better than the official release, plus it's unedited. A must-have.

Archived