Its all poison

wanna be drummer

We humans are a funny thing are we not? We drink and we smoke despite the risks. We deny our mortality and continue to shorten our lives.

And we like it B)

On a college campus, especially one as big as MSU, you can't more than a few feet without seeing somebody smokin cigarettes or occasionally cigars (and to a lesser degree some things not quite as legal :lol: ).

Here's a question for all of you: Which do you think is worse? Cigs or Cigars?

And before anyone preaches that they're both terrible for you and equally horrible, I think we all know that, so spare us the unpleasantries.

I'm only curious because I smoke cigars once every couple weeks with friends when we got nothin else to do on a Tuesday night ya know? I never could stand cigarettes.

Anywho, my personal thought has always been that cigars are worse for you if you inhale the smoke (which is madness to me, I can't stand that), but cigarettes are worse if you don't inhale the cigar smoke, but i'm no expert.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

I don't know...isn't there some sort of scientific study out there? I should think cigarettes are worse, but I'm no expert. I do know that when I walk by someone who's smoking (I don't smoke myself), I like the smell of cigars WAY better than cigarettes. Pipe smoke is the best, though. I still don't really like cigar smoke, even if it's better than cigs, but pipe smoke actually smells good. Of course I've heard people say just the opposite, that they can't stand cigar or pipe smoke, so I don't know... I think they're nuts, but it's all a matter of opinion.

Uh, sorry I wasn't very helpful with your original question...

I don't know...isn't there some sort of scientific study out there? I should think cigarettes are worse, but I'm no expert. I do know that when I walk by someone who's smoking (I don't smoke myself), I like the smell of cigars WAY better than cigarettes. Pipe smoke is the best, though. I still don't really like cigar smoke, even if it's better than cigs, but pipe smoke actually smells good. Of course I've heard people say just the opposite, that they can't stand cigar or pipe smoke, so I don't know... I think they're nuts, but it's all a matter of opinion.

Uh, sorry I wasn't very helpful with your original question...

Meh, I've googled it a couple of times, and no one seems to know for sure. I agree though, that cigars smell billions of times better than cigarettes which is why I smoke the former rather than the latter.

And no worries about "being helpful with [my] original question". I'm not expecting people to know for sure, I'm just curious as to what people think ^_^

I smoke cigars once every couple weeks with friends when we got nothin else to do on a Tuesday night ya know? I never could stand cigarettes.

My wife is Cuban and every year her cousin gives me a box of expensive Cuban cigars... and I don't have the heart to tell him I actually hate the damn things. I usually end up trading them to a guy I know for box of Omaha Steaks.

I keep in my car a stale package of Dutch Masters cigars that I bought a couple years ago at the drug store. Real cheap nasty smelling things that you usually see some old greaseball smoking. The only reason I have them is for when I'm at some sidewalk cafe and some asshole/assholes light up their cigarettes and allow their fucking smoke to invade my space. I will usually ask them to please "mind their smoke," but if they don't... I go and get a stale cigar and stand right next their table and BLOW THAT SHIT RIGHT IN THEIR FUCKING FACES, AND SAY NOW WHO IS THE ASSHOLE!

I hate cigarette and cigar smoke.

My wife is Cuban and every year her cousin gives me a box of expensive Cuban cigars... and I don't have the heart to tell him I actually hate the damn things. I usually end up trading them to a guy I know for box of Omaha Steaks.

I keep in my car a stale package of Dutch Masters cigars that I bought a couple years ago at the drug store. Real cheap nasty smelling things that you usually see some old greaseball smoking. The only reason I have them is for when I'm at some sidewalk cafe and some asshole/assholes light up their cigarettes and allow their fucking smoke to invade my space. I will usually ask them to please "mind their smoke," but if they don't... I go and get a stale cigar and stand right next their table and BLOW THAT SHIT RIGHT IN THEIR FUCKING FACES, AND SAY NOW WHO IS THE ASSHOLE!

I hate cigarette and cigar smoke.

That was you!?

Some nerve...

I'll take em off your hands for a box of White Castle burgers (seeing as I probably can't afford Omaha steaks) B):lol:

That was you!?

Some nerve...

The only reason I have them is for when Im at some sidewalk cafe and some asshole/assholes light up their cigarettes and allow their fucking smoke to invade my space.

And that was you? The defender was only reacting to your offense. Fighting fire, oops smoke, with smoke.

Whoever lights up first is the offender, all else is retaliation. YOU changed the stakes.

At first: Cigar smoke is way worse than cig smoke, at least for me. It smells horrible!

I don't like cigs to much too, but I think, why shall the people who do like it not smoke it? I mean, noone can deny that it looks beyond cool.

I have a soft tooth for pipe tobacco, feel like sitting in the Shire when I smell it.

And to bring in something new: What feels better than sitting around a shishah with your friends till 3 am and just talk? I'm just a passive smoker (strictly anti-cig educated), but once a wise man said:" Why shall my lung live longer than me?". It's the same with alcohol, some love it, some hate it, some misuse it and some accept it and have fun. I belong to the forth group.

why shall the people who do like it not smoke it?

Because generally, they impose their smoke on anyone in the nearby proximity. It would be OK if the smoke just disappeared, but that doesnt even happen outside. Want to breathe decent air at an outside cafe? Forget it, you have to go inside to escape the smokestacks.

What feels better than sitting around with your friends till 3 am and just talk?

Nothing, so long as theyre not smoking. :D

The old saying: everything in moderation.

I smoke a pack per day, I eat meat, I drink, I'm 43, I look 35 (told that the most), just had a comprehensive physical through a private medical firm in Toronto and the report; I'm very healthy. I know guys who excercise every day and they have more health problems than me, with a few dropping dead getting off the ice or while jogging.

My point: living moderatly will help you live longer - beat your odds. Good genes are your best friend, and when its your time to go, its your time.

Out for another smoke and espresso.....

:)

I had a patient last year fresh postoperative mouth and tongue cancer. The entire right side of his face was totally deformed and he had grafts taken from his thigh to reconstruct his face. Very nasty and i imagine even the best case, his scars will be very noticeable for the rest of his life.

Any smoke is potentially life altering and often life shortening or life ending. Cancer is just one of the many problems smoking causes your body. It's sad that smoking is still such a favorite past time.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Tobacco/cigars

Questions and Answers About Cigar Smoking and Cancer

What are the health risks associated with cigar smoking?

Scientific evidence has shown that cancers of the oral cavity (lip, tongue, mouth, and throat), larynx, lung, and esophagus are associated with cigar smoking. Furthermore, evidence strongly suggests a link between cigar smoking and cancer of the pancreas. In addition, daily cigar smokers, particularly those who inhale, are at increased risk for developing heart and lung disease.

Like cigarette smoking, the risks from cigar smoking increase with increased exposure. For example, compared with someone who has never smoked, smoking only one to two cigars per day doubles the risk for oral and esophageal cancers. Smoking three to four cigars daily can increase the risk of oral cancers to more than eight times the risk for a nonsmoker, while the chance of esophageal cancer is increased to four times the risk for someone who has never smoked. Both cigar and cigarette smokers have similar levels of risk for oral, throat, and esophageal cancers.

The health risks associated with occasional cigar smoking (less than daily) are not known. About three-quarters of cigar smokers are occasional smokers.

What is the effect of inhalation on disease risk?

One of the major differences between cigar and cigarette smoking is the degree of inhalation. Almost all cigarette smokers report inhaling while the majority of cigar smokers do not because cigar smoke is generally more irritating. However, cigar smokers who have a history of cigarette smoking are more likely to inhale cigar smoke. Cigar smokers experience higher rates of lung cancer, coronary heart disease, and chronic obstructive lung disease than nonsmokers, but not as high as the rates for cigarette smokers. These lower rates for cigar smokers are probably related to reduced inhalation.

How are cigars and cigarettes different?

Cigars and cigarettes differ in both size and the type of tobacco used. Cigarettes are generally more uniform in size and contain less than 1 gram of tobacco each. Cigars, on the other hand, can vary in size and shape and can measure more than 7 inches in length. Large cigars typically contain between 5 and 17 grams of tobacco. It is not unusual for some premium cigars to contain the tobacco equivalent of an entire pack of cigarettes. U.S. cigarettes are made from different blends of tobaccos, whereas most cigars are composed primarily of a single type of tobacco (air-cured or dried burley tobacco). Large cigars can take between 1 and 2 hours to smoke, whereas most cigarettes on the U.S. market take less than 10 minutes to smoke.

How are the health risks associated with cigar smoking different from those associated with smoking cigarettes?

Health risks associated with both cigars and cigarettes are strongly linked to the degree of smoke exposure. Since smoke from cigars and cigarettes are composed of many of the same toxic and carcinogenic (cancer causing) compounds, the differences in health risks appear to be related to differences in daily use and level of inhalation.

Most cigarette smokers smoke every day and inhale. In contrast, as many as three-quarters of cigar smokers smoke only occasionally, and the majority do not inhale.

All cigar and cigarette smokers, whether or not they inhale, directly expose the lips, mouth, tongue, throat, and larynx to smoke and its carcinogens. Holding an unlit cigar between the lips also exposes these areas to carcinogens. In addition, when saliva containing smoke constituents is swallowed, the esophagus is exposed to carcinogens. These exposures probably account for the fact that oral and esophageal cancer risks are similar among cigar smokers and cigarette smokers.

Cancer of the larynx occurs at lower rates among cigar smokers who do not inhale than among cigarette smokers. Lung cancer risk among daily cigar smokers who do not inhale is double that of nonsmokers, but significantly less than the risk for cigarette smokers. However, the lung cancer risk from moderately inhaling smoke from five cigars a day is comparable to the risk from smoking up to one pack of cigarettes a day.

What are the hazards for nonsmokers exposed to cigar smoke?

Environmental tobacco smoke (ETS), also known as secondhand or passive smoke, is the smoke released from a lit cigar or cigarette. The ETS from cigars and cigarettes contains many of the same toxins and irritants (such as carbon monoxide, nicotine, hydrogen cyanide, and ammonia), as well as a number of known carcinogens (such as benzene, nitrosamines, vinyl chloride, arsenic, and hydrocarbons). Because cigars contain greater amounts of tobacco than cigarettes, they produce greater amounts of ETS.

There are, however, some differences between cigar and cigarette smoke due to the different ways cigars and cigarettes are made. Cigars go through a long aging and fermentation process. During the fermentation process, high concentrations of carcinogenic compounds are produced. These compounds are released when a cigar is smoked. Also, cigar wrappers are less porous than cigarette wrappers. The nonporous cigar wrapper makes the burning of cigar tobacco less complete than cigarette tobacco. As a result, compared with cigarette smoke, the concentrations of toxins and irritants are higher in cigar smoke. In addition, the larger size of most cigars (more tobacco) and longer smoking time produces higher exposures to nonsmokers of many toxic compounds (including carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, ammonia, cadmium, and other substances) than a cigarette. For example, measurements of the carbon monoxide (CO) concentration at a cigar party and a cigar banquet in a restaurant showed indoor CO levels comparable to those measured on a crowded California freeway. Such exposures could place nonsmoking workers attending such events at significantly increased risk for cancer as well as heart and lung diseases.

Are cigars addictive?

Nicotine is the agent in tobacco that is capable of causing addiction or dependence. Cigarettes have an average total nicotine content of about 8.4 milligrams, while many popular brands of cigars will contain between 100 and 200 milligrams, or as many as 444 milligrams of nicotine.

As with cigarette smoking, when cigar smokers inhale, nicotine is absorbed rapidly. However, because of the composition of cigar smoke and the tendency of cigar smokers not to inhale, the nicotine is absorbed predominantly through the lining of the mouth rather than in the lung. It is important to note that nicotine absorbed through the lining of the mouth is capable of forming a powerful addiction, as demonstrated by the large number of people addicted to smokeless tobacco. Both inhaled and noninhaled nicotine can be addictive. The infrequent use by the average cigar smoker, low number of cigars smoked per day, and lower rates of inhalation compared with cigarette smokers have led some to suggest that cigar smokers may be less likely to be dependent than cigarette smokers.

Addiction studies of cigarettes and spit tobacco show that addiction to nicotine occurs almost exclusively during adolescence and young adulthood when young people begin using these tobacco products. Also, several studies raise the concern that use of cigars may predispose individuals to the use of cigarettes. A recent survey showed that the relapse rate of former cigarette smokers who smoked cigars was twice as great as the relapse rate of former cigarette smokers who did not smoke cigars. The study also observed that cigar smokers were more than twice as likely to take up cigarette smoking for the first time than people who never smoked cigars.

What are the benefits of quitting?

There are many health benefits to quitting cigar smoking. The likelihood of developing cancer decreases. Also, when someone quits, an improvement in health is seen almost immediately. For example, blood pressure, pulse rate, and breathing patterns start returning to normal soon after quitting. People who quit will also see an improvement in their overall quality of life. People who decide to quit have many options available to them. Some people choose to quit all at once. Other options gaining popularity in this country are nicotine replacement products, such as patches, gum, and nasal sprays. If considering quitting, ask your doctor to recommend a plan that could best suit you and your lifestyle.

What are the current trends in cigar smoking?

Although cigar smoking occurs primarily among males between the ages of 35 and 64 who have higher educational backgrounds and incomes, recent studies suggest new trends. Most new cigar users today are teenagers and young adult males (ages 18 to 24) who smoke occasionally (less than daily). According to two large statewide studies conducted among California adults in 1990 and 1996, cigar use has increased nearly five times among women and appears to be increasing among adolescent females as well. Furthermore, a number of studies have reported high rates of use among not only teens but preteens. Cigar use among older males (age 65 and older), however, has continued to decline since 1992.

How are current trends in cigar smoking different from past decades?

Total cigar consumption declined by about 66 percent from 1973 until 1993. Cigar use has increased more than 50 percent since 1993. The increase in cigar use in the early 1990s coincided with an increase in promotional media activities for cigars.

What additional information is available about the effects of cigar smoking?

The 1998 NCI monograph Cigars: Health Effects and Trends can be ordered from the Cancer Information Service (see below). U.S. residents can order the monograph online at http://www.cancer.gov/publications on the Internet. (The monograph can also be viewed and downloaded from this Web site.)

Additional information on the health effects of tobacco is available from the CDC's Tobacco Information and Prevention Source (TIPS) at http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco on the Internet. This program collects and distributes reports and news about tobacco, lists services available for people trying to quit using tobacco products, and produces publications about tobacco and the dangers of its use.

###

National Cancer Institute (NCI) Resources

Cancer Information Service (toll-free)

Telephone: 1–800–4–CANCER (1–800–422–6237)

TTY: 1–800–332–8615

NCI's Web site: http://www.cancer.gov

I smoked briefly back in the 80s but have been smoke free since. Unfortunately too many family members have died or are currently suffering from smoking related cancers (throat, lung and head/neck).

Smokeless tobacco can also cause oral cancer.

I've never smoked a cigar and can't stand the smell, but I did smoke the occasional clove cigarette back then.

Good post Tangerine

Again, i'm not a daily smoker and I only smoke these cheap small cigars (and only 1 a day when i do smoke, which is at most once a week)

Just something to do ya know?

Thanks, i feel the need to reinforce the negative effects of smoking when i see the topic. Many of the health problems related to smoking can be avoided or drastically reduced if people either stop smoking, or ideally never begin.

I see people everyday who have had lung resections and tumor removals. It's very unpleasant and a great deal of the people i see are in their 40's and 50's. Other than cancer, smokers are increased risk for Emphysema, Asthma and Chronic Bronchitis. All make it hard to breath (something i enjoy doing freely).

I smoked in my teens, but i quit over 20 years ago and i am grateful!

And that was you? The defender was only reacting to your offense. Fighting fire, oops smoke, with smoke.

Whoever lights up first is the offender, all else is retaliation. YOU changed the stakes.

Detroit's a dump, but I've got to say... this dump doesnt have a public smoking ban...

... and I smoke the fuck outa this place and everyone around.

As long as you don't throw butts all over the place or blow smoke directly in someones face, I think it's fair enough.

The shit of it is, most people that complain about people smoking are non-smokers and still have 20-and-some-odd amounts of ailments.., I think they're all just a little bitter that I can smoke a shit-ton and don't have so much as an allergy.

^Dude, where is your sig from? Did you make it? Is it a movie or movies? Looks really cool.

Back when I was 15 I smoked cigarettes. I quit (went cold-turkey, in fact) 'cause my Dad caught me.

Not only have I not looked back since, but cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke doesn't phase me at all either way. You wanna light up around me? Be my guest. I never cared.

That said, I could never understand the fascination some guys have with pretty women smoking cigarettes. A friend said it best:

"That's like having a suicide-fetish... you enjoy watching pretty women kill themselves."

And considering the risks, I'm surprised more smokers don't turn to weed. Check these out:

http://www.jackherer.com/comparison.html

http://www.druglibrary.org/Schaffer/library/basicfax15.htm

And I love this one...

http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/

So why don't more people smoke weed again? Oh right... it's illegal.

Wait...

Why?

I have a fetish for women who smoke, not because they are potentially killing themselves, but for alltogether different reasons I would rather not state here.

If people want to smoke, that's their choice. They know it's bad for them. No need to get all preachy about it. But yeah, I agree that in certain situations smokers need to be considerate of non-smokers.

I have a fetish for women who smoke, not because they are potentially killing themselves, but for alltogether different reasons I would rather not state here.

If people want to smoke, that's their choice. They know it's bad for them. No need to get all preachy about it. But yeah, I agree that in certain situations smokers need to be considerate of non-smokers.

Oh I wasn't getting preachy at all... at least, I didn't mean to. I honestly don't care what a person does or does not do to themselves beause it really doesn't effect me. I may worry about a person who smokes, but like I said... if you want to smoke around me, be my guest... just be prepared to share if it's a joint.

Archived