Finding Led Zeppelin in unrelated places

marmorek

When I was on a school trip to Poland I was in a random shop that sold a load of stuff from games, to music to hardware to clothes. I heard this "duh-du-duh! duh duh duh-du-duh!" on the radio and I knew straight away it was "The Song Remains the Same" It made me happy inside.

Last night I was watching The Venture Brothers. The show always refers to Zep because there is this guy on the show named Brock, and it's his favorite band. He has an Icarus tattoo on his arm, and he's always listening to some song that sounds like an easy to recognize Zep riff without sounding exactly the same. Anyways, his son was talking about aliens probing him, and he said, "No one is going in through my out door." It's a pretty funny show. But the references make it even better.

I heard a dialogue in passing within a music classroom...

student: "could you play that song by those four guys?" [indicates a photo of Led Zeppelin on the teacher's "great musicians" wall]

teacher: "Which song, this?" [plays the opening riff off How Many More Times?] to which the kids exclaim, "Yes!!!!"

edited to add: I asked the teacher, "did you ever show them the Led Zeppelin DVD of them doing that song?" he said "No because it's difficult to procure a DVD player 'round here. But once I do, I will". (the students are in the third grade--ages 8-9)

Edited by Fan_S.

i have 1 that made me hate 2days genoraton even more then i alredy do

my brother lissons to lil wayne and in one of the songs he was lisining two lil wayne compared himself to ledzeppelin, i was born in the wrong generaton populer music 2day is puthetic

• 4 weeks later...

on NPR.org from: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...ft=1&f=1021

went like this:

Most of it was garbage. None of it had been corroborated or screened. But it went directly to the President and his advisers, who are not intelligence experts. That's when mistakes got made." Others who saw the same intelligence reports found the experience mind-altering. It was "like being stuck in a room listening to Led Zeppelin music," said Jim Baker, former head of the Counsel in the Department of Justice's Office of Intelligence Policy and Review. Readers suffered "sensory overload" and became "paranoid." Former Deputy Attorney General James Comey believed that the cumulative effect turned national security concerns into "an obsession."

on NPR.org from: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...ft=1&f=1021

went like this:

Most of it was garbage. None of it had been corroborated or screened. But it went directly to the President and his advisers, who are not intelligence experts. That's when mistakes got made." Others who saw the same intelligence reports found the experience mind-altering. It was "like being stuck in a room listening to Led Zeppelin music," said Jim Baker, former head of the Counsel in the Department of Justice's Office of Intelligence Policy and Review. Readers suffered "sensory overload" and became "paranoid." Former Deputy Attorney General James Comey believed that the cumulative effect turned national security concerns into "an obsession."

Possibly related to this story on NPR is the description of using loud music, including Led Zeppelin, to "torture" suspected "terrorists" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I wonder if Condoleeza Rice was aware of this. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

In an episode of the TV show Lost (not sure which episode or season but can find out as I have them all on DVD!) the character Hurley is walking through a record store with his best friend who is wearing a Led Zeppelin T.shirt. I love this show and think it's a really cool reference. Someone may have already mentioned this one since I haven't read through the entire thread!

Also for those of you in the UK and Australia, the Aussie soap Neighbours has a character called Declan who wears a Led Zeppelin T.shirt in an episode. Also in another episode the doctor Karl Kennedy mentions John Bonham as being the greatest drummer ever. Someone who works on the show is obviously a fan! :D

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zep.com/

There's a bunch of billboards around Atlanta (I-75) with Zep (in a big yellow font in a circle).

Turn's out it is an Atlanta based cleaning company (Circa 1937).

Perhaps the owner(s) is/are Led Zeppelin fans???

R B)

The car wash I used to go to used Zep cleaning products (I guess they make car wash soap), I smiled every time I saw it.

Saturday Night Live May 14, 1977. Host Shelley Duvall.

Attack of the Moonies sketch:

Deprogrammer 1: Led Zeppelin! Led Zeppelin! Led Zeppelin! LED ZEPPELIN!!

[ they rise to speak privately ]

Deprogrammer 1: Man, I say we give up on this Moonie! She's not gonna crack!

Deprogrammer 2: Yes, she WILL!! Now, I have -- look, I have deprogrammed TOUGHER kids than this one! Now, look -- come on!

Deprogrammer 1: [ sighing ] It's been five days!

Deprogrammer 2: [ to the moonie ] Look... don't you want all of this to end? Huh? Just renounce that Sun Myung Moon character... and you can go back home to your parents!

Moonie: [ in a monotone ] The Unification Church is my family. I don't like my parents.

Deprogrammer 1: [ he sighs ] How 'bout your dog? Don't you want to go see your dog?

Moonie: I don't have a dog.

Deprogrammer 1: Do you have a cat?

Moonie: I don't have a cat.

Deprogrammer 1: Well, we'll buy you a cat! [ cutesy ] A little kitten! Yuo can call it "Booooots", or "Whiskers", or "Muffin", or ANYTHING YOU LIKE!!!

Deprogrammer 2: Shhhh...

Moonie: I don't like animals.

Deprogrammer 2: Look -- you can catch up on TV! Now, I bet you haven't seen the new Fall shows!

Deprogrammer 1: Rhoda got divorced, you know. It's, uh -- everything's changed.

Deprogrammer 2: Of course, you missed Mary's last show, you know, uh -- but... I'm sure they'll probably rerun it.

Moonie: Television is the Devil's paintbrush. I don't like television.

Deprogrammer 1: I'm gonna put on that Mamas & Papas album one more time, see what happens.

[ a knock at the door ]

Deprogrammer 1: There's the kid from Burger King.

Moonie: I don't like Burger King. Burgers are the Devil's scouring pads.

Deprogrammer 1: Well, don't worry -- we got you a Whaler with cheese.

[ he answers the door, but it's Sun Myung Moon on the other side ]

Deprogrammer 1: Oh, no!!

Sun Myung Moon: Good ev-e-ning! I am the Reverand Sun Myung Moon, leader of the Moo-nies!

[ music sting ]

[ title card: "Night of the Moonies" ]

Sun Myung Moon: We have come... for... the girl!

Deprogrammer 1: This kid's going BACK to her family!!

Sun Myung Moon: Whyyyy do you resist us? It is so much more preseant to surrender and become one of us. Submit to the uneffortable, free yourself of human emotion. Want to come to our bicentennial rally?

Deprogrammer 1: You're crazy!! You think I'm gonna join your gang of zombies?! You must be NUTS!!

Sun Myung Moon: Noooo?? Perhaps your wife will be able to change your mind, Round Eyes!

[ Moon leads Deprogrammer 1's zombified wife through the door ]

Deprogrammer 1: [ alarmed ] It IS my wife! Honey!

Deprogrammer 2: [ examines her listless face ] She's not your wife any more, man. She's a moonie!

Wife: Why struggle, dear? Give in. I've sold the house and car and all your possessions, and given the money to Reverand Moon.

Deprogrammer 1: [ he gasps ] NO!! NO!!

Wife: Your shirts, your slacks, your ties, your power tools...

Deprogrammer 1: My power tools?!!

Wife: Your beer can collection, your monogrammed golf clubs, your RCA home entertainment center, your electric wok.

Deprogrammer 1: Oh, how could you do it, honey?!

Wife: They're all gone...

Sun Myung Moon: [ sinisterly ] We will keep... the electric wok!

Deprogrammer 2: Don't!! Don't listen to 'em!! [ he turns and shoves Moon and Deprogrammer 1's wife out the door ] Get out of here!! Get out of here!! [ to Deprogrammer 1 ] Look, we can't save her now! [ continues shoving Moon out the door ] Get out!! [ he slams the door ] Now, come on, you've GOT to help me!! They're gonna probably try to get in now!!

Deprogrammer 1: Yeah, right!

Deprogrammer 2: Help me block this door!!

[ they push furniture in front of the door, as other moonies begin to smash in the window ]

Deprogrammer 2: Now, get over there to the window -- here they come, here they come!!

[ the moonies try to push their literature through the empty panes, as Deprogrammer 1 begins to hammer boards over the window ]

Deprogrammer 1: Get away!! Get out of here!!

Voice of a Moonie: How are you? Would you like to buy a flower and help the Reverand Moon?

Deprogrammer 2: NO!! I'm not interested!!

Voice of a Moonie: Have a nice day!

Deprogrammer 1: They're all over the place!!

Deprogrammer 2: I KNOW THAT!!

Voice of a Moonie: Would you like to make a donation..?

Deprogrammer 1: A quarter? [ he takes a brochure from one of the moonies and begins to read it ]

Deprogrammer 2: I don't know HOW long -- I don't know how long we cna hold out! I don't even know how many of them there are! They could have HUNDREDS of brochures, man. They might even have a sound truck! [ he turns and notices the brochure in Deprogrammer 1's hand ] Hey, what's that you're reading there? Hey, man! Look! Listen, man!! [ he tears the brochure away and shoves Deprogrammer 1 down onto a bed ] Do you want to end up like one of those goons out there?!!

Deprogrammer 1: NO, NO!!

Deprogrammer 2: Stop reading that stuff!! You understand?!!

Deprogrammer 1: NO!! NO...!!

[ Deprogrammer 1 rises slowly, his eyes now darkened circles ]

Deprogrammer 1: [ in a monotone ] I am one of them now. It is really pleasant. [ to Deprogrammer 2 ] Hello! How are you? Are you busy right now? Can I walk with you just a little bit? You're probably on your way to work. It's Gentlemen's Day today! It's Gentlemen's Day today! Why don't you come with me just now..?

[ Deprogrammer 1 rises, as Deprogrammer 2 inches away toward the front door ]

Deprogrammer 2: You -- you can stay here, man, I'm getting the hell out of here!

[ Deprogrammer 2 frantically pulls the furniture away from the front door and thrusts it open. Sun Myung Moon and some of the other moonies proceed to re-enter. ]

Sun Myung Moon: It's time for you to join us! Here is your button!

Deprogrammer 2: NOOOOO!!!! NOOOOO!!!!

Deprogrammer 1: [ as he unties the rope around the first Moonie's ] Hi! How are you? May I interest you in some literature? If you'd care to make a small donation...

Deprogrammer 2: NOOOOO!!!! NOOOOO!!!!

[ unnoticed by anyone, the Sheriff enters the motel room ]

Sheriff: Yeah, Chief, there's a whole lot of those moonies here! Yeah, okay! Check!

[ the Sheriff proceeds to shoot each moonie one at a time, firing nine shots. Various moonies shout "Have a nice day!" before being shot. At last, the Sheriff shoots and kills Sun Myung Moon. ]

Deprogrammer 2: Thank God! Thank God, man! Thank God you came here!

Sheriff: Yeah, Chief? Okay, I'm gonna head down to that corner, there's an ol' rat's nest in here, I got one more moonie to kill!

Deprogrammer 2: Oh, no, man! I'm not a moonie!

Sheriff: Alright!

Deprogrammer 2: I'm not -- I'm not a moonie!

[ the Sheriff fires two shots at Deprogrammer 2 ]

Sheriff: Yeah, that really is a tragedy about San Diego. They never had proper law enforcement techniques down there, anyway. [ he chuckles ] Alright!

[ the Sheriff exits the motel room, leaving dead bodies everywhere as "The End" creeps onscreen ]

[ close-up, as the original moonie rises from the floor and smiles toward the camera ]

Moonie: Hello! How are you? Have you heard about the Unification Church? Do you mind if we talk for a while?

• 2 weeks later...

wow whyalla! where are those ^ pics from???

"whyalla" are those pic from the VIP dinner/party prior to the O2 concert?

Certainly are my friends. I realise that their not totally applicable to this thread as it was at the Zeppelin gig BUT they still are beautiful images and very much worth sharing.

Off topic but an interesting coincidence here: I had an e-mail today from a "Jimmy Page". I figured it was someone using his name to draw attention to spam but it's actually from a Jimmy Page who is the Circulation Manager for Drug Discovery News. I had a chuckle and thought it was ironic considering the old interview where Jimmy says he wants to be a biological scientist.