Finding Led Zeppelin in unrelated places

marmorek

• 2 weeks later...

Another one from The Simpsons, from the episode where Homer becomes a bass player:

"I feel powerful connection to the history of famous bass players like what's-his-name from The Who or that guy from Led Zeppelin who wasn't Page, Plant or Bonham."

Poor JPJ :(

I can just hear Homer saying that, LOL!

:) cute

">http://BlackstrapHighSpirit.LZ_zpsc37s7jdh.jpg

Wall High Spirit Cafe, Pune/India - Artist: Adarsh Balak

https://www.facebook.com/adarshbalak

Nice one! :)

last night on "Millionaire hot seat " the question for $50,000.00.....

Which member of Led Zeppelin had a name the same as a war hero ( or something like that )....

Young girl had no idea, but guessed John Paul Jones.... :)

Hubby says to me: "gee, I bet you wish you were on there tonight! "

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS!! :)

Well that was quite an unexpected conversation this morning.....

When I came into the officebuilding this morning I waited for the elevator with another colleague, he saw I had my headphones + Iphone in my hands and asked what I had been listening to. When I told him I had been listening to Led Zep, he gave me compliments on my good taste in music and I found out he is also a fan.

Edited by Maaike Roeleveld

• 4 weeks later...

On the one hand, this is arguably the weirdest Led Zeppelin thing I've ever seen! On the other hand; it's always cool to find Led Zeppelin in unexpected places!

I was just coming here to post this! So...out there :)

• 2 weeks later...

these have probably been posted already but....

I also remember an mtv commercial where they say something like ".....and misspelling your favorite bands name" then it shows a kid at school misspelling led zeppelin on his notebook or binder.

^JUST saw this and thought it was me as I caught only the last snippet. Wonder how that came about...

To be honest, I don't like hearing Zep in ads. Movies if the context is appropriate, maybe, but I don't get the connection here...

It's almost certainly not for the money, so is this just a way to get new fans into great music?

Edited by Patrycja

^JUST saw this and thought it was me as I caught only the last snippet. Wonder how that came about...

To be honest, I don't like hearing Zep in ads. Movies if the context is appropriate, maybe, but I don't get the connection here...

It's almost certainly not for the money, so is this just a way to get new fans into great music?

I believe jimmy page said it was basically for exposure for the re releases for today's younger generation.

I read that as a comment on how inane most movie scripts are these days.

haha maybe, fair enough. IMO Grand Theft Auto IV should go down with The Godfather, etc. as one of the all-time great crime dramas.

Reviewers praised the game's narrative. IGN's Goldstein accepted that the darker tones to the story, a break from series tradition. Jon Hicks of Official Xbox Magazine felt surprised by the amount of depth to the story.[102] Reiner of Game Informer wrote that the level of freedom in the game contributed to his enjoyment of the story.[96] The morality choices faced by players throughout the narrative were also welcomed. 1UP.com's Boyer felt that they gave the game an element of "replayability".[92] Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell considered the morality choices a fair substitute over "bosses with large health bars".[95]

The player character sitting next to the main antagonist, at a bench on the side of the road.

The game's main protagonist Niko Bellic with main antagonist Dimitri Rascalov. Reviewers praised the game's story and characters, commending the morality choices faced by players.

The game's characters—particularly Niko—received positive reactions from critics.[95] Hicks of Official Xbox Magazine and Andy Robinson of Computer and Video Games both called Niko "charismatic" and "likeable", stating that they prefer him over previous protagonists of the series.[93][102] George Walter of GamesRadar praised the depth of the character, and IGN's Goldstein felt that the character of Niko feels relatable when faced with difficult decisions.[97] Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bombfelt that Niko was a "the only thing that mattered to [him]" as he progressed through the story, with the character becoming one of his favourite features of the game.[105] Schiesel of The New York Times named Niko one of the most realised video game characters attributing this to the game's script,[103] while 1UP.com's Boyer commended the use of character bonding during the game's missions.[92]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Reception

haha maybe, fair enough. IMO Grand Theft Auto IV should go down with The Godfather, etc. as one of the all-time great crime dramas.

Reviewers praised the game's narrative. IGN's Goldstein accepted that the darker tones to the story, a break from series tradition. Jon Hicks of Official Xbox Magazine felt surprised by the amount of depth to the story.[102] Reiner of Game Informer wrote that the level of freedom in the game contributed to his enjoyment of the story.[96] The morality choices faced by players throughout the narrative were also welcomed. 1UP.com's Boyer felt that they gave the game an element of "replayability".[92] Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell considered the morality choices a fair substitute over "bosses with large health bars".[95]

The player character sitting next to the main antagonist, at a bench on the side of the road.

The game's main protagonist Niko Bellic with main antagonist Dimitri Rascalov. Reviewers praised the game's story and characters, commending the morality choices faced by players.

The game's characters—particularly Niko—received positive reactions from critics.[95] Hicks of Official Xbox Magazine and Andy Robinson of Computer and Video Games both called Niko "charismatic" and "likeable", stating that they prefer him over previous protagonists of the series.[93][102] George Walter of GamesRadar praised the depth of the character, and IGN's Goldstein felt that the character of Niko feels relatable when faced with difficult decisions.[97] Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bombfelt that Niko was a "the only thing that mattered to [him]" as he progressed through the story, with the character becoming one of his favourite features of the game.[105] Schiesel of The New York Times named Niko one of the most realised video game characters attributing this to the game's script,[103] while 1UP.com's Boyer commended the use of character bonding during the game's missions.[92]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV#Reception

Kudos from the gaming world are interesting, but have any film experts extolled accolades on games for existing on the same level as Kurosawa, Peckinpah, or The Godfather. Is there a mutual appreciation happening or is one using the other to create credibility?  I have to question the challenge of making moral decisions in a virtual world. What are the real consequences? Having to start over? I'm not sure these two experiences are comparable. They both exist on their own terms and have their own merits. 

Finding Zep in either is, of course, always a bonus.

Kudos from the gaming world are interesting, but have any film experts extolled accolades on games for existing on the same level as Kurosawa, Peckinpah, or The Godfather. Is there a mutual appreciation happening or is one using the other to create credibility?  I have to question the challenge of making moral decisions in a virtual world. What are the real consequences? Having to start over? I'm not sure these two experiences are comparable. They both exist on their own terms and have their own merits. 

Finding Zep in either is, of course, always a bonus.

I think I've posted this here before, but since we're on the topic...

:stereo:

I'm not convinced this is a direct reference to Led Zeppelin. Or that this is destined to be as timeless as The Godfather. The GPS instructions are somewhat lifelike and engaging. Does this game require the player to shift the transmission while operating the firearm? Is there a button for the clutch?

I'm not convinced this is a direct reference to Led Zeppelin. Or that this is destined to be as timeless as The Godfather. The GPS instructions are somewhat lifelike and engaging. Does this game require the player to shift the transmission while operating the firearm? Is there a button for the clutch?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you saying movie viewers have to do those things?

I believe jimmy page said it was basically for exposure for the re releases for today's younger generation.

Ok, but how does that work exactly? There's a small part of a song in a commercial that looks like it has nothing to do with the game. I guess interested gamers seek out the song title, then the band? Just seems a weird reach, but maybe it's effective? I think something more related would be a better crossover, like a song thematically connected to another artistic outlet...

For you older folks, video games these days are often as well written and complex as movies, often times more so.

With all due respect to gamers, the example below surely can't be an one of 'well written and complex as movies' (though many movies seem more like video games, but they're generally deemed to suck, or just categorized as summer popcorn fun). But... 'The Godfather'? Come on...