Jimmy's Outrider tour

NickZepp

I still remember to this day standing at side stage , and being pensive through the first two songs of the show in Detroit. The first show I saw.

Who's To Blame, the concert opener for that tour was quite an uptempo and speedy like version and allowed JP to warm up those pinkies. The riff is fairly easy , and we were quickly treated to the format for the evening when he absolutely ripped into a burning lead.

Prelude offered a slower pace with a tone and sound that evoked pure emotion.

Hey Zepp-4-Life, I was at that show also. Joe Louis Arena (Probably the ugliest arena ever made. No character, just concrete)Do you remeber people in general admission throwing all kinds of crap at the opening act and booing them until the singer told everyone to fuck off and they left the stage. Do you remember who they were?

Hey Zepp-4-Life, I was at that show also. Joe Louis Arena (Probably the ugliest arena ever made. No character, just concrete)Do you remeber people in general admission throwing all kinds of crap at the opening act and booing them until the singer told everyone to fuck off and they left the stage. Do you remember who they were?

Hmmm, I think in Philly the opening act was Mason Ruffner. Not sure about Detroit.

I was there as well.

The opening act was Rock City Angels.

Also, Jimmy caught the flu in Cleveland but remarked from the stage he was sweating it out. IMHO, Detroit was possibly the best night of the tour, second only to Syracuse.

I was there as well.

Also, Jimmy caught the flu in Cleveland but remarked from the stage he was sweating it out. IMHO, Detroit was possibly the best night of the tour, second only to Syracuse.

I got the Syracuse show on VHS a long time ago. Great performance. What I've heard of The Outrider tour it's probably the best as you said.

The New Haven Coliseum was quite ugly as well. No charachter too it at all with crappy sound, until its' well deserved makeover was completed early last year as seen in the link below.

anyone hear the boot of the second show at the worcester centrum in mass. He dedicates stairway at the end to john bonham..which I thought was very cool. he also calls Durban Laverde his very own "tall cool one", which sounded to me like a little dig at Plant, which I have to admit seems pretty cool right now......I was at the first show there and it was awesome. over the hills, custard pie, and who's to blame being my favorites.

my favorite part of listening to those boots is that in typical fashion...jimmy's solos are different every night....just awesome.

He also calls Durban Laverde his very own "tall cool one", which sounded to me like a little dig at Plant, which I have to admit seems pretty cool right now

Jimmy used that line as a standard introduction for the relatively unknown bassist on several, if not every, night of the tour. Unlike the bassist, it was a line the audience was familiar with from the single's chart success. Robert was also on the road at the time, and they occasionally performed in some cities within days of each other. Anyway, they were on good terms then. It was a nod and a wink.

I saw the Outrider tour in Austin. I was 16 or 17, and My Dad almost didn't let me go because We'd recently seen the Atlantic Records anniversary show, and Jimmy seemed to be in bad shape.

Mason Ruffner opened (and was booed). They only used half of the Frank Erwin Center, which I couldn't believe, because this is JIMMY PAGE we're talking about! I'd seen Robert sell the place out around that time.

When Jimmy came out, His guitar tone sounded fantastic. It seemed that He was pretty much using the same rig from the Zeppelin days. It brings me back just thinking about it. I remember thinking that it must've been some of the Zeppelin lighting rig,too.The entire band was fantastic. John Miles did a great job covering Robert, Paul Rodgers, and Chris Farlowe. Jason was great, but I totally agree with the poster who mentioned how far Jason has evolved in 20 years. And, Jimmy was INCREDIBLE! Completely different from the guy I'd recently watched on the Atlantic records show.

Ronnie Lane was on the first row, and Jimmy dedicated "Train Kept A Rollin'" to Him. Too cool!

One of My favorite concerts, for sure! :D

Stairway To Heaven is so much better than the versions done on the A.R.M.S. tour Jimmy really was down a notch then in 83 but I know there are alot of reasons why. Actually Jimmy played it better than with Led Zeppelin at Live-Aid.

I was there as well.

From an old post on another forum.....

Jimmy Page/Rock City Angels - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit Michigan, 1988. Page's first and only solo tour. The Zepheads came out in droves for this. They were greeted by the Rock City Angels, a Texas blues-rock band. Detroit was having none of this. The singer was wearing a cowboy hat. Someone in the audience threw a wadded-up paper cup at him and hit him in the hat. Now, the guy had a couple of options, including getting pissed and stomping off the stage, but to his credit (and imminent regret) he kind of chuckled, pointed at the general direction of the tosser and said: "Good shot." His fate was sealed and there was an immediate storm of detritus raining down on him and his bandmates. The band tried to carry on through another song, but the storm did not abate one bit. They truncated the song and the signer went off on a tirade. Then, he made a snarky comment about how since the crowd loved the band so much, they were going to do one last song, and they were gonna make it a loooooooong one. They start off into some generic blues number, and the singer lasts about 90 seconds before he stalks off with both middle fingers held high. The band continues for another four minutes or so, hitting their instruments as hard as they can and breaking their strings in the process. Finally, one guitarist throws his instrument into the drums, as they come to a halt and run for cover. I'd been going to concerts for fifteen years, in varied locales, to see many different bands, but I'd never seen a shitstorm like that.

And we weren't rude. They sucked. B)

Jimmy Page/Rock City Angels - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit Michigan, 1988. Page's first and only solo tour. The Zepheads came out in droves for this. They were greeted by the Rock City Angels, a Texas blues-rock band. Detroit was having none of this. The singer was wearing a cowboy hat. Someone in the audience threw a wadded-up paper cup at him and hit him in the hat. Now, the guy had a couple of options, including getting pissed and stomping off the stage, but to his credit (and imminent regret) he kind of chuckled, pointed at the general direction of the tosser and said: "Good shot." His fate was sealed and there was an immediate storm of detritus raining down on him and his bandmates. The band tried to carry on through another song, but the storm did not abate one bit. They truncated the song and the signer went off on a tirade. Then, he made a snarky comment about how since the crowd loved the band so much, they were going to do one last song, and they were gonna make it a loooooooong one. They start off into some generic blues number, and the singer lasts about 90 seconds before he stalks off with both middle fingers held high. The band continues for another four minutes or so, hitting their instruments as hard as they can and breaking their strings in the process. Finally, one guitarist throws his instrument into the drums, as they come to a halt and run for cover. I'd been going to concerts for fifteen years, in varied locales, to see many different bands, but I'd never seen a shitstorm like that.

And we weren't rude. They sucked. B)

Well I'm glad that I got to see Mason Ruffner open up for Jimmy instead of this Rock City Angels band, especially since they sucked. MR was pretty good, in fact my husband said after the show that he liked MR better than Jimmy! :blink: Definitely NOT my opinion though!!

Jimmy Page/Rock City Angels - Joe Louis Arena, Detroit Michigan, 1988.

I can still hear the roar of that crazy crowd as they made their way back to the parking

garages! I've never seen a crowd leave a venue as pumped up as them. What a night!

• 11 months later...

I attended the Dallas show on 9-23-88 and it was incredible! Page tore the place down! This show exists on boot also (CD).

Hey f2walsh, I have a boot from that tour, but I think it's The King Buiscut or something. Is that the same thing You have?

Also, on an unrealated note, did You happen to see James Gang @ Nokia in Grand Prarie a few years back? One of My favorite concerts of all time!

One of the best shows I have ever seen on the Outrider tour, at the hammersmith Odeon it was just vibrant. His Deathwish materaial came over really well, really good memories of that show :)

Saw that show too, Jason helping out during Stairway and the lasers during OTHAFA. Did not

know who John Miles was... :(

This from "Hafocord":

I uploaded this show onto my youtube channel earlier this year and received a message from the promoter asking if my "Cleveland" show was actually Dayton and how he might obtain a copy. A little digging around on the www revealed that the Westwood One mobile truck was at both the 10/19/88 Cleveland and 10/21/88 Dayton shows so I've gone through my audience tapes, done a side by side comparison, and here are the results.

01 - Who's To Blame - Cleveland

02 - Prelude - Cleveland

03 - Over The Hills And Far Away - Dayton

04 - Writes Of Winter - Cleveland

05 - Tear Down The Walls - Cleveland

06 - Emerald Eyes - Dayton

07 - Midnight Moonlight Lady - Dayton

08 - In My Time Of Dying - Dayton

09 - Prison Blues - Dayton

10 - Wasting My Time - Cleveland

11 - Custard Pie - Black Dog - Cleveland

12 - Train Kept A Rollin' - Dayton