The DNA Remains The Same

The only thing that will prevent any of us seeing zep if they tour again...is galactic ticket prices.

That is if we can even get em.

Stones on their last tour was $400 for decent seats, Striesand and Poveratti $800 retail....

Zep....my stomach gets queezy just thinking about it...

Just saw another vid. Jason is one of them. He completes them. I'd pay.

BD

hello everybody, i'm a newby to this forum(or any forum for that matter).

the reason i joined is obvious!

the reason i'm posting,is the fact that i too, may god(john henry bonham) forgive me did'nt think jason would be good enough but if you sit and contemplate it, who would;answer is no-one.

ask jason if he thought he could fill his dad's throne and he'll say no,and i'd agree.

ask zeppelin fan who the only drummer to sit with led zeppelin could be,the answer must be jason bonham.

if jason had'nt done it the only other people that could have done it would have been pat,deborah or zoe........i'm joking ofcourse.

all us drummers have this fantasy when we get behind a kit that we could somehow measure up,the n you put on achilles,kashmir,good times,fool in the rain etc and it makes you scream in frustration and laugh in appreciation of the genius of the man.

we all know how good he was,what we can't know is how good he would have been.

he was 32 when he died.......no age at all.

i'm particulariy pissed off with people's attitude towards dave grohl at the moment,ask him the the "good enough"question and he'll also say no;i've seen some drummers who can do a fair replication of bonzo's stuff,but there's always something missing,its the bloke holding the sticks,mr grohl et al would agree,so give him a break people.

sorry for the rant

all the best

a disciple

Well said. Plus nobody could be worse than Michael Lee...

I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree.

As a drummer, I have to say Michael Lee played the best out of all drummers up until Jason. I would say that putting aside all the sentimental talk about Jason filling his dads shoes, trying to keep Zeppelin "in the family", and keeping the legitamacy of the name LED ZEP without Bonzo, you could swap out Michael for Jason on any night and the songs would not sound different. He played very close to Bonzo's style. He used all of Bonzo's trade mark fills and didn't try to change the songs. In fact, I have not heard him outside of Page & Plant so I honestly do not even know his actual drumming "style". To me he is a Bonham imitator/clone because he played so true to the songs. He also wailed the crap out of the drums (like Bonzo & Jason) and he had a fantastic drum sound that was similar to Bonham's - big, loud, and open. I do not know what else he could have done to fit in.

my 2 cents today

If anyone is presenting this as WHAT IS I'm right there with you, but to present this as equal to or better than WHAT WAS? To me, that's revisionist and beyond ridiculous.

I'd prefer to think of it as an ongoing version of a great band who have managed through good fortune to have a well capable drummer who happens to have known the band from day one of his life. Having seen clips I'd pay what I had to to see them, just once, the O2 sounded good and looked like three old blokes and a bald guy behind a replica of Bonzo Sr's transparent orange Kit being Led Zeppelin. If you have to find a way to enjoy it should they tour, look on 'em as a damn good tribute band who own the legal rights to the name. Definitely What Is. Definitely not What Should Never Be.

Jason is not his father, he is not as good, this is obvious (he even said he doesn't have the right foot of the old man).

And also, for the record, Neil Peart did NOT write Rush's best songs. Lee/Lifeson write ALL of the music and Peart writes ALL of the lyrics.

No he's not as good, but he's bloody good nonetheless. I watched a clip yesterday from an instructional video he did as a younger man and he was playing the intro to Rock N Roll explaining how his Dad played it and showing how he played it differently as "his Dad had a stronger left hand" and it still sounded pretty good. he was also talking about how his Dad had taught him the rhythm for it from an old Little Richard song.

PS Rush Rule!

jason bonham is a new drummer and being a guitarist myself ive seen plenty of drummers and no two sound alike. so they cant sound like 30 years ago (its just not gonna happen), and john bonham had some say in what they were doing (will they give that kind of freedom to jason if new material is coming in this concert?)

Whaddya mean new? He's 41 and started playing at his Dad's knee! :D According to most of the interviews the boy's studied Led Zeppelin as much as many Learned Members of these boards and was suggesting ways of playing the songs from (I guess) the concert recordings.

I thought he was great and he looked the part behind THAT kit. The bass drum skin, the drumshells and him staring right out at the camera above in one of Lucky Halfin's photos is a cracker. And he can bang a gong! I'm kinda new to the live side of Zeppelin though I've been a fan of the studio Zep for all my life, but did his Dad nor try to play things differently now and again or were they that well rehearsed on tour back then?

I have to say having seen Page & Plant in '95 and having enjoyed it immensely even though the seats and sound weren't great, seeing those four chaps playing somewhere as LED ZEPPELIN is what I want Santa to bring me for Christmas. Then I can die happy.

Edit for PS: Excellent Thread Title!

I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree.

As a drummer, I have to say Michael Lee played the best out of all drummers up until Jason. I would say that putting aside all the sentimental talk about Jason filling his dads shoes, trying to keep Zeppelin "in the family", and keeping the legitamacy of the name LED ZEP without Bonzo, you could swap out Michael for Jason on any night and the songs would not sound different. He played very close to Bonzo's style. He used all of Bonzo's trade mark fills and didn't try to change the songs. In fact, I have not heard him outside of Page & Plant so I honestly do not even know his actual drumming "style". To me he is a Bonham imitator/clone because he played so true to the songs. He also wailed the crap out of the drums (like Bonzo & Jason) and he had a fantastic drum sound that was similar to Bonham's - big, loud, and open. I do not know what else he could have done to fit in.

my 2 cents today

Michael Lee is a great drummer too. Prior to him joining with Plant in late 1992, he was the drummer for The Cult for a couple of years. Their best one, I might add.

I saw both P/P tours, and believe me, Lee was fantastic. I'm glad someone else sees that. :)

the-cult-4.jpg

I had some guy in another topic say I would not be seeing Led Zeppelin if they toured. I assume he thinks Janson doesn't count or something. Well I disagree with him. If Led Zep toured with Janson I think it would be Led Zeppelin. I was wondering what you guys and gals thought about that. I believe The Song Remains The Same.

In the Led Zeppelin movie, The Song Remains The Same, Jason can be seen playing a scaled-down drum kit for a very proud father, John Bonham, the legendary drummer of Led Zeppelin. Jason was five years old.

The Song Remains The Same is what I say,

BD

P.S. I had a dream. Crazy dream - That Led Zeppelin would tour one more time.

Straight from your dreams to around the world!!!!!!!!!

Michael Lee is a great drummer too. Prior to him joining with Plant in late 1992, he was the drummer for The Cult for a couple of years. Their best one, I might add.

I saw both P/P tours, and believe me, Lee was fantastic. I'm glad someone else sees that. :)

the-cult-4.jpg

Thank you too Rock Action for agreeing with me & for letting me know where Mr Lee played previously. I love the Cult so I am a bit embarrassed that I didn't know that he played with them. I always think of Matt Sorum as the "good" Cult drummer. I have to reinvestigate my Cult albums to see if i have ones Lee played on. Thanks man!

Popeye!

I have to say having seen Page & Plant in '95 and having enjoyed it immensely even though the seats and sound weren't great, seeing those four chaps playing somewhere as LED ZEPPELIN is what I want Santa to bring me for Christmas. Then I can die happy.

Edit for PS: Excellent Thread Title!

So are you saying This is Led Zep or not?

BD

P.S. Thanks on the title thing.

• 5 weeks later...
I echo the sentiment of this thread - what could be better than a son stepping into the shoes of his father after he's passed on? This is Plant, Page, Jones & BONHAM. That was Zep in the 70/80's, and it is Zeppelin today.

----------------------------------------------

But that was JOHN Bonham, not JASON.

---------------------------------------------

1) Jason has truly dedicated his life to living in the name of his father. He misses his dad, loves his dad, and was trained to be a drummer by his father.

In his own words, he received minimal instruction.

2) Their is a very recent precedent for this type of replacement having an overwhelming acceptance from the hardcore fanbase - THE WHO! Yes there are many Who fans who say Keith Moon can never be replaced and that the original Who is not what the 2002 - 2007 version is. Well I am a huge Who fan, saw them in the 70's and 80's, and have seen them multiple times in 02/07. Zak Starkey cannot replace the spirit of Keith Moon, but from a technical drumming perspective his performance is beyond outstanding. Moonie played "lead" drums, Zak lays down and outrageously tight rhythm section. The mix with the new Who is outstanding and besides Pete and Roger, Zak is the star of the show.

But here's the main point - Keith Moon never had a son, Zak was his god son. Zak brings out the spirit of Keith Moon to each Who show he plays. And best of all, Keith did train Zak to play the drums. So who would be better to replace Keith in the Who, no one other than Zak. There is an emotional bond to Who fans every time Zak takes the stage. Seeing Zak play is a reminder of how life passes and the human spirit moves on. It is quite different than Kenny Jones or a session drummer.

It's disengenuous for them to tour as The Who. Even the Ox is gone.

When Jason Bonham plays his drum solo (or can you imagine Moby Dick) people will be in tears in the audience.

--------------------------------------------

As a one-off that's great. But night after night?

--------------------------------------------

3) Jason is 41 and he has played in Foreigner, UFO and his own band(s) for many years. As he has not had the success of his father his ego is in check and this is truly the opportunity of a lifetime for him. Btw, wasn't Bonzo 38 when he died? Jason is actually older than John! Their is no question that technically and emotionally he can fit the bill.

Age brings wisdom; it does not bolster drum skills

4) It's what Bonzo would have wanted...

Now you presume to speak for him...

Yes not a session drummer, his son who he loved more than anything. Maintaining his legacy, providing for his family (and his grandchildren), and finding his own success. I have 3 sons, and god forbid something happened to me I couldn't think of anything more appropriate than of my sons following in my footsteps and helping keep my memory alive. People, the media, and the world will be in tears with the emotion of Zep truly re-uniting after 27 years.

You cannot "truly reunite" when one fourth is gone!

5) I actually had a tix for Philly '80 that sadly went unused. Zep is the only major band I've never seen. So yes, they're doing it for me (blushing) and the rest of the fans. It would've been cold hearted or sacri-religious to tour quickly after Bonzo's death. 27 years is a long enough for a tribute. Page is 63, they need to get their butt's on the road and give their fans what we want.

Therein lies your motivation: it's what YOU want, reality be damned.

Those are just my views; I do respect yours.

Great write up. Thanks. Not sure how I missed it.

Humbly,

BD

Alot of other bands wish they could have a member as close to the band as jason was. Hes in the bloodline and ever though it might not be exact its the closest option for them at this time, Plus alot of Zeps music was drum / guitar driven having a younger jason on drums will highly salvage the bands sound and ambiance.

Rock on guys, come to TORONTO

Alot of other bands wish they could have a member as close to the band as jason was. Hes in the bloodline and ever though it might not be exact its the closest option for them at this time, Plus alot of Zeps music was drum / guitar driven having a younger jason on drums will highly salvage the bands sound and ambiance.

Rock on guys, come to TORONTO

Jason is the man for the job. So I say.

BinaryDeath

Archived