Blow Up

No1ZeppelinFan

Ordered Blow Up the film with David Hemmings and the Yardbirds in. Seen loads of clips over the years but never watched the film. I do know it has some great shots of Pagey, Anyone seen it? Is the actual film any good? Doesn't matter if not really, Lets face it. Jimmy's in it ! :D Oh BTW, Only £5 Post free from Play.com :)

Ordered Blow Up the film with David Hemmings and the Yardbirds in. Seen loads of clips over the years but never watched the film. I do know it has some great shots of Pagey, Anyone seen it? Is the actual film any good? Doesn't matter if not really, Lets face it. Jimmy's in it ! :D Oh BTW, Only £5 Post free from Play.com :)

Yes! Beyond the fact Jimmy is in it, it's a really great film and the cinematography is pretty stellar. Seen it many times (well it helps I own it :lol: )

I like the film very much and, beyond the appearance and performance of a young Jimmy Page and the Yardbirds, it was directed by one of my favorite directors: Michelangelo Antonioni. "Blow up" also presents a great view of "Swingin' Sixties" London for those who are interested in that time and place.

I saw this film a few years back one night (early morning, actually) on BBC. I'd just come home from America and I can never sleep normally for the first few nights, so I would watch crap on t.v, and by chance this little gem was on the night after I came home. I stayed away until past 3 just to watch those few minutes of Jimmy (and, of course, the rest of the film) and was glad I did. I really liked it. I taped it, so never thought of buying it, but I'd probably get it for a fiver.

Edited to add:

movingjimmy.gif

From a Jimmy point of view, longdistancewinner's sig now covers most of the good stuff--in other words, you don't see that much of him (and Beck smashing the cardboard guitar is probably just as entertaining :D ). I've got it on DVD, which is handy if you just want to watch the Yardbirds "chapter."

But the movie itself is fabulous, and so influential. The ending (the tennis match) is a real classic. It's not for everybody, and it wasn't back then, either, because there's a lot you have to figure out or decide for yourself--but then, that's the whole point of the film.

It's a very influential 'post-modernist' film, inspired in many ways by contemporary scientific advances and studies in sub-atomic physics, which explores the notion that as you look closer and closer at an object, in this case a photograph, its original meaning decays and it becomes a new object in and of itself.

Aside from that, its cool that Jimmy is there...the bit with Beck smashing the guitar is a little stilted, it's obvious he doesn't really want to be doing it.

Yeah it's a very philosophical film about how people and groups create meaning.

It's typical Antonioni. Not much dialogue and a lot of unanswered questions.

When Jeff Beck throws his guitar neck into the crowd at the Ricky Tick club, there's a violent clash to grab it, which David Hemmings is successful, and he's chased out of the club by people who want it, but once he's outside the club, the guitar neck is worthless, and he throws it on the ground. The movie is full of comments and statements like that.

It's a brilliant film, but probably not everybody's cup of tea.

im not sure if ive seen this movie or not.....can someone tell me the main gist of it please? and who are the stars? i may have seen it years ago, and not even realized that it was jimmy on guitar! im just not sure. maybe its at blockbuster......

David Hemmings plays a professional photographer during London's swinging 60s era and happens upon a couple interacting in a nearby park. She sees he's taken photos and is desparate to get the negatives. He gets curious as to why, blows the photos up and discovers a murder has been committed. That's the surface plot - as others have said, there's a lot more to the film and much of it requires your own interpretation/imagination. I loved it - definitely one of my favorite films.

David Hemmings plays a professional photographer during London's swinging 60s era and happens upon a couple interacting in a nearby park. She sees he's taken photos and is desparate to get the negatives. He gets curious as to why, blows the photos up and discovers a murder has been committed. That's the surface plot - as others have said, there's a lot more to the film and much of it requires your own interpretation/imagination. I loved it - definitely one of my favorite films.

ah yes, now i remember it, thanks. i did see it way back in the 70s....i didnt even realize jimmy was in it.....damn!

It's fun to watch, and a pretty decent movie (if perhaps not one of Antonioni's best). Jeff Beck hates it, and still thinks the director was pretentious and boring. Antonioni asked them to copy The Who's antics on stage, which is why the movie has Jeff smashing that cheap ass guitar in it. The Yardies normally never did that, and Jeff probably would rather smash guitars in a rage - just in front of his band mates..... because that's exactly what he did a few weeks later, on tour in the U.S.

It's fun to watch, and a pretty decent movie (if perhaps not one of Antonioni's best). Jeff Beck hates it, and still thinks the director was pretentious and boring. Antonioni asked them to copy The Who's antics on stage, which is why the movie has Jeff smashing that cheap ass guitar in it. The Yardies normally never did that, and Jeff probably would rather smash guitars in a rage - just in front of his band mates..... because that's exactly what he did a few weeks later, on tour in the U.S.

Funny that, because find Jeff Beck boring and pretentious, but I love Antonioni...

I think Blow-Up is widely regarded as Antonioni's masterpiece, Ingmar Bergman certainly felt that way. For my own personal taste I think "The Passenger" is his masterpiece, with Jack Nicolson and Maria Schneider, but Blow-Up would come a very close 2nd. Although some people think L'Avventura is the masterpiece.

ah yes, now i remember it, thanks. i did see it way back in the 70s....i didnt even realize jimmy was in it.....damn!

The first time I saw this was in a Film Study class in school and I didn't know Jimmy was in it prior to that scene and I nearly screamed out "holy sh*t it's Page" :lol: But I didn't :D

I like the film very much and, beyond the appearance and performance of a young Jimmy Page and the Yardbirds, it was directed by one of my favorite directors: Michelangelo Antonioni. "Blow up" also presents a great view of "Swingin' Sixties" London for those who are interested in that time and place.

I love it too. Jimmy isn't in enough, but "Stroll On" is my favorite scene, before I really knew anything that it was "Train Kept A'Rollin' with the words changed. I own the score on CD. I've read that people from the sixties think Performance is closer to "Swinging London." Blow Up to British people is an Italian's version of it. I thought that was interesting. I wish there was more extras on the DVD.

I love it too. Jimmy isn't in enough, but "Stroll On" is my favorite scene, before I really knew anything that it was "Train Kept A'Rollin' with the words changed. I own the score on CD. I've read that people from the sixties think Performance is closer to "Swinging London." Blow Up to British people is an Italian's version of it. I thought that was interesting. I wish there was more extras on the DVD.

That is an interesting perspective. My friends and I saw the film after our Zep years - primarily because we wanted to see Jimmy during his Yardies days and to see what we thought would be 60's "Swinging London" - not an Italian director's image of it. It was several years after seeing "Blow Up" that I discovered Antonioni's other films. I personally do not consider "Blow Up" his masterpiece - I rank "The Passenger" and “L’Avventura” much higher.

I don't really think Performance was any closer--plus, I think people NOW look back on them as period pieces, but at the time they were just contemporary movies, not specifically attempts to depict "swinging London" or whatever. It's almost inevitable that neither film was really a depiction of what most ordinary people's real lives were like then--more a stylized version of the sort of lives we read about in the media. So in that sense, Blow Up is probably more accurate, since that kind of meaning-creation is excatly what it's about.

Sidenote: The story was based on a short story by Julio Cortazar, and it's really interesting to see how the film changed it--startng with the fact that the original story is about a sound, not a visual image.

I guess no one thats read my post knows the reasons for the name change of Train kept a rollin to Stroll On. Maybe SteveAJones will be able to answer it, if he sees the inquisition. B)

Antoninoni wanted them to change the words.

Archived