ZZ-Top - Fandango

Bob Dylan - Desire

Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare

Eagles - One of these Nights

Foghat - Fool for the City

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin Fancy

Eric Clapton - EC was here

Black Sabbath - Sabotage

Peter Frampton - Frampton (the tour were Frampton live was recorded)

Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac - ( first lp with Buckingham and Nicks)

Kiss - Alive

Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

J Giels Band - Hotline

Blue Oyster Cult - Live On Your Feet or on Your Knees

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow

Blackmores Rainbow

Nazereth - Hair of the Dog

Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent

Marshall Tucker Band - Searching for a Rainbow

The Outlaws- The Outlaws

Pink Floyd - Wish You were Here

Queen - A Night at the Opera

Rush - Fly by Night

Roxy Music - Siren

Bob Seger - Beautiful Loser

Rod Stewart - Atlantic Crossing

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Supertramp - Crisis what Crisis

Edgar Winter Group with Rick Derringer

The Who - By Numbers

Gary Wright - Dream Weaver

Thin Lizzy - Fighting

Robin Trower - Far Earth Below

UFO - Force It

Ten Years After - Cricklewood Green

Alvin LEE - Pump Iron

I am sure there were many more 72,73,74,76,77 were all good Years the best Music in My book came from the 70's

I'm gonna have to concur whole heartedly with the choice of 75. Awesome job with the list too, by the way.

The top three:

3.67-The year hard rock took over Beatle clone songs as well as pshycedlic music and the summer of love.

2.71-This year is the best for albums as notables that were released this are Led Zeppelin 4, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, The Doors - L.A. Woman, The Who - Who's next, and many other greats.

1.69-Hard rock is king as we were graced with bands such as Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix was going strong, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Black Sabbath had already started touring. There was Woodstock, hell even Elvis.

album-The-Rolling-Stones-Sticky-Fingers.jpg

Led_Zeppelin_IV.jpg#

WhosNext-778537.jpg

3 best album openers - Brown Sugar, Black Dog, Baba O'Riley.

3 best album closers - Moonlight Mile, When The Levee Breaks, Won't Get Fooled Again.

Basically the three greatest albums by the three greatest rock bands of all time, released in 1971.

1969, with no other option. Woodstock, first Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin albums, Cosmo's factory of CCR, The Who... there's only few of those things that happened that year!

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Long time no hear. This is a great question for all hard core Rock n' Rollers. I can truly say that 1955 was the best year because Bill Haley and The Comets gave us "Rock Around The Clock" and give us a glimpse of what Rock n' Roll would sound like. I can also say that 1956 was the best year because of one man, ELVIS ARON PRESLEY. In my opinion, without a doubt, 1967 is the greatest year in Rock n' Roll history. 1967 would give us what many would consider to be the greatest moments in Rock history. It would all begin with THE BEATLES' SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND album! That album would singlehandedly change Rock n' Roll forever. Rock n' Roll had finally grown up and arrived in a sense that music was now being listened to heard in an artistic way. Its just too bad that Brian Wilson did not finish what could have been another great masterpiece which is the legendary 1966-67 SMiLE album. Rock n' Roll would have changed even more had this album been released as planned. If it wouldn't have been for 1967, everything after and beyond would have never happened as it did. When JIMI HENDRIX gave us the "Are You Experienced" album in 1967, CREAM gave us the "Wheels Of Fire" album in 1968, LED ZEPPELIN gave us the "Led Zeppelin II" album in 1969, it was clearly evident that Rock n' Roll still had more to say and was here to stay resulting in going through more changes. NOTHING could have been more evident than PINK FLOYD'S landmark masterpiece album which is "The Dark Side of The Moon" from 1973. With "The Dark Side Of The Moon" album, PINK FLOYD would give us all a glimpse of what was yet to come for Rock n' Roll in the future. All of these great bands laid down the foundations of what Rock n' Roll would sound like and become today. ROCK ON!

1973 the year I graduated high school. Always thought the same as that lengthly article posited. It was the watershed that is still being drawn from today. An amazing year at the crossroads of 60's looseness with 70's recording technology.

This thread just reminded me how much I wish I was born earlier. :'(

Yeh I know what you mean. The 60's and 70's would have been awsome to live in. The doors, led zep, the beatles, pink floyd (at their best), jimi hendrix etc........

Summer of Love

The Moterey International Pop Festival

Rolling Stone Magazine is launched

Launch of BBC Radio 1

Significant Album Launches:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Disraeli Gears - Cream

The Doors - The Doors

Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane

The U.K. Charts looked like this:

1. A Lighter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum

2. I'm a Believer - The Monkees

3. All You Need Is Love - The Beatles

4. Light My Fire - The Doors

5. Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles

Births of Future Artists:

Kurt Cobain - Nirvana

Billy Corgan - The Smashing Pumpkins

Noel Gallager - Oasis

Dave Matthews - The Dave Matthews Band

Scott Weiland - Stone Temple Pilots

CANT BELIEVE U MENTIONED ALL BUT( LAYNE STANLEY) MAN :o HAHA F***

• 1 month later...
This thread just reminded me how much I wish I was born earlier. :'(

I was born in 1962. I'm here to tell you you really haven't missed out on anything. Yes, there was lots of great music then but there was also lots of shit (same as it is now). Movies and TV based on the 60s and 70s (or any era for that matter) tend to paint an overly rosy picture. Don't believe everything you see and read. So, you would have rather grown up in a period rife with social unrest, riots in the street and the Vietnam War all because you think it would have been a more desirable time to live in simply because you like the music from that era? Look around, there's a war now (though you'd be hard pressed to know it from turning on the TV) and dire economic times. Also not a very desirable time to live in. I prefer to live with my feet firmly planted in the present. As the saying goes, those that choose to live in the past are doomed to repeat it.

As for the best year for music, there is no "best" year but I'd go with 2008 as there's been lots of good records released this year: R.E.M.'s Accelerate, Chris Knight's Heart of Stone, the Black Crowes' Warpaint, James McMurtry's Just Us Kids, etc. Not to even mention lots of great live shows from R.E.M., Wilco, Plant/Krauss and many others.

I was born in 1962. I'm here to tell you you really haven't missed out on anything. Yes, there was lots of great music then but there was also lots of shit (same as it is now). Movies and TV based on the 60s and 70s (or any era for that matter) tend to paint an overly rosy picture. Don't believe everything you see and read. So, you would have rather grown up in a period rife with social unrest, riots in the street and the Vietnam War all because you think it would have been a more desirable time to live in simply because you like the music from that era? Look around, there's a war now (though you'd be hard pressed to know it from turning on the TV) and dire economic times. Also not a very desirable time to live in. I prefer to live with my feet firmly planted in the present. As the saying goes, those that choose to live in the past are doomed to repeat it.

As for the best year for music, there is no "best" year but I'd go with 2008 as there's been lots of good records released this year: R.E.M.'s Accelerate, Chris Knight's Heart of Stone, the Black Crowes' Warpaint, James McMurtry's Just Us Kids, etc. Not to even mention lots of great live shows from R.E.M., Wilco, Plant/Krauss and many others.

Sorry, but I don't view much of what's going on now musically as significant history or performance. Many of the greats that some here are understandably upset over never having a chance to see or be around at the time of their acheivements will long be remembered, and rediscovered by future generations (as this forum's member profile proves).

Sorry, but I don't view much of what's going on now musically as significant history or performance.

The same thing was said about a lot of artists in the past that are now revered. These are also very different times. Music reaches people in a variety of ways these days so it is hard to judge who will be remembered ten minutes from now much less ten years from now. That doesn't mean significant music history isn't being made or significant performances aren't taking place. I have no trouble finding music and concerts by current artists in the year 2008 that mean something to me but that's a hard point to get across on a board where so many seem caught up in the glories of the past and/or only seem interested in artists that sound like what they're accustomed to. I know that doesn't go for everyone here, plus it kind of comes with the territory on a board dedicated to Led Zeppelin which obviously attracts a lot of music fans that are only interested in them or artists that sound very much like them.

It's possible the young people that aren't really into the music of 'their time', the NOW, feel their missing out on the cohesive culture that music provided in days of old. Maybe they find their friends aren't into music as much as they are and want relate to older folk's rememberances of their time.

I think that youth today have so many more diversions than we had, music is just a smaller piece of the cultural pie surrounding them.

Just read the rememberances' in Bong-Man's thread about MC5. There's something missing today that was ROCK STEADY in the past. Sure you get the Bonnaroo's and other festivals, but it's a fragment more than a entire generation culture I think the past was as far as music being such a focal point. It's hard to pinpoint.

I know I find some great music today and enjoy it as much as ever, but the 'feeling' I get among the crowd isn't the same. I guess it's age.

Our 'Pop' culture today is more faceted, complex. I still go to record/cd stores but they're a dwindling business/gathering spot. More kids today get their music off the computer without the interaction we had at the record stores 30-40 years ago. There was a more widespread cohesion then as opposed to now I believe, more social and "in the face" human interaction. Now it's technology, virtual as opposed to eye contact and sharing music ideas face to face. That's still there, but in much smaller doses.

I'm just glad I still have some favorite bands that still do NEW music and I can get excited about TODAY and TOMORROW. Sadly, there are many who can't or don't embrace NEW music and what is left of today's music scene, the CULTURE.

It's so very hard to pick a favorite year for rock. Afterall these years, I'd have to agree with Jahfin about the present. Everything that's been out is there for us RIGHT NOW. I may have less bands from today that excite me like I had 35 years ago, but the cumulation from all the years starting in the embryonic stages of rock to now round out my collection.

I haven't lost any of the appeal of my favorite music from my teenage years as many of my contemporaries have. They've left that time behind and much of what they enjoyed, including their music listening.

I 'spose the most fair barometer I could fathom in my pick for favorite year would be a quantitive count. Like going and seeing what year I have the MOST music from, but that quest would be daunting. One day I'll make a database of my music and will be able to pull that up instantly. :D

I think my favourite year of rock music must be 1971 (Live At The Fillmore East - The Allman Brothers Band, Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin, Friendship - Junipher Greene just to name a few and many, many more....), 1970 (Fire and Water - Free, Led Zeppelin III - Led Zeppelin, In Rock - Deep Purple +++++++++) or 1967 (Are You Experienced - The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Disreali Gears - Cream, A Hard Road - Bluesbreakers just to name a few good ones).

Archived