Has led zeppelin; the band name,become a "brand"name

misty mountain

Led Zeppelin As a name, did provoke a stir amongst the German family who the name derived from. But who thinks twice about their names now? Led Zeppelin is so ingrained in the musical and cultural landscape now that we can no longer appreciate how unusual the name Led Zeppelin must have seemed back in 1968 or 1969.When people refer to Robert plant ,jimmy page.john Paul Jones; you automatically think "he" was in L.Z (weather it is a solo performance or what ever by a member of the band)Do you think that the band members now are branded for the rest of there life as L.Z.? :unsure: Would this be why Robert plant is resisting reunion talk etc? for being tread-ing( to set foot <has gone where others fear to tread><treading a fine line between tradition and innovation>) as a branded man.

Do you think that the band members now are branded for the rest of there life as L.Z.?

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with that.

They're icons, so branding just goes along with it.

I'm not in RP's head, but some people just don't like going down the same road twice. While we all would kill for a tour, or new album, for him it just seems not to be that important. Also, LZ has some rough memories for him.

I always think of them being in Zeppelin, but with the teenage generation, as sad as I am too associate myself with this, they don't know who Robert Plant is, or Jimmy Page, or JPJ. They also have never heard of Led Zeppelin, so they can't associate them.

"Led Zeppelin" didn't seem particularly unusual at all in 1968 and 1969. The years of Blodwyn Pig, the Strawberry Alarm Clock, Soft Machine--the name didn't sound any stranger than Jefferson Airplane. Or the Mothers of Invention.

Didn't led zeppelin (music wise)just stand out a bit more than the names you've mentioned above?Like; back in 1968, it was the music that blew you away,then who the f--- was that.And if you didn't know for sure where they came from ;with a name like led zeppelin .would that make you wonder? :lol:

Led Zeppelin As a name, did provoke a stir amongst the German family who the name derived from. But who thinks twice about their names now? Led Zeppelin is so ingrained in the musical and cultural landscape now that we can no longer appreciate how unusual the name Led Zeppelin must have seemed back in 1968 or 1969.When people refer to Robert plant ,jimmy page.john Paul Jones; you automatically think "he" was in L.Z (weather it is a solo performance or what ever by a member of the band)Do you think that the band members now are branded for the rest of there life as L.Z.? :unsure: Would this be why Robert plant is resisting reunion talk etc? for being tread-ing( to set foot <has gone where others fear to tread><treading a fine line between tradition and innovation>) as a branded man.

Yes it has become a brand name, there are still people out there who know the name led Zeppelin but still haven't a clue who was in the band !! The name LED ZEPPELIN is just there in the stratosphere !!

I don't really think it was that unusual a name when Iron Butterfly and all other amazing band names were there at the time too :)

Didn't led zeppelin (music wise)just stand out a bit more than the names you've mentioned above?Like; back in 1968, it was the music that blew you away,then who the f--- was that.And if you didn't know for sure where they came from ;with a name like led zeppelin .would that make you wonder? :lol:

Well, no, because although the music was amazing, all the other big bands that were producing great music had "unusual" names. There was a time when "Beatles" sounded really odd, and people laughed at a band being called the "Rolling Stones." I was embarrassed going into a record store to ask for a 45 by the Troggs. I remember a TV show where the announcer couldn't stop laughing trying to introduce the Righteous Brothers (and their huge hit). Led Zeppelin just didn't sound that odd as a name, or stand out particularly--as a name. :)

I always think of them being in Zeppelin, but with the teenage generation, as sad as I am too associate myself with this, they don't know who Robert Plant is, or Jimmy Page, or JPJ. They also have never heard of Led Zeppelin, so they can't associate them.

That's true for most teens but I just turned 14 and I have every single album of theirs and I idolize all of them. I mean I'm not every teen but I don't think you should say its true for all teens either.

Archived