Pink Floyd's Rick Wright Dead

leddy

I just saw this and am so bummed out.

I had the great fortune to see Pink Floyd 3 times from the Echo tour to the Division Bell they were probably the most incredible visual show I ever saw. I just can hardly believe this. I only hope he went quickly and as another said he is playing the "Great Gig in the Sky".

R.I.P. Rick

I decided to pay tribute to Richard the best way I could: on the piano.

Playing and singing through all of Dark Side of the Moon's wonderful chords and melodies created not only music, but also the strongest of feelings for one of history's greatest rock musicians.

Although I doubted that it would ever happen I've thought of THE Reunion with Zep and Floyd together.

I was lucky enought to see 87 tour, 88 twice, 93 and then I saw the 2006 show at Radio City. One of these days was mystical.

He is now in rock and roll heaven and will be missed here on earth.

Just heard/saw it on VH1 Classics. Was watching an unscheduled Floyd documentary and caught a glimpse of the text running across the screen. A cold shot ran up my back and had to rewind it. Just shocked. Being a founding member of the 2nd greatest band ever IMO it hits very close. :(

Peace, love, Pink Floyd, and Richard Wright. Thank you for the music!

Pink Floyd member Richard Wright dies at age 65

Monday, September 15, 2008 9:06 PM EDT

The Associated Press

By MEERA SELVA Associated Press Writer

LONDON (AP) — Richard Wright, a founding member of Pink Floyd, died Monday. He was 65.

The rock group's spokesman, Doug Wright, who's unrelated, said Wright died after a battle with cancer at his home in Britain. He said the band member's family did not want to give more details about his death.

Wright met Pink Floyd members Roger Waters and Nick Mason in college and joined their early band, Sigma 6. Along with the late Syd Barrett, the four formed Pink Floyd in 1965.

The group's jazz-infused rock and drug-laced multimedia "happenings" made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and their 1967 album, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn," was a hit.

In the early days of Pink Floyd, Wright, along with Barrett, was seen as the group's dominant musical force. The London-born musician and son of a biochemist wrote songs and played the keyboard.

"Rick's keyboards were an integral part of the Pink Floyd sound," said Joe Boyd, a prominent record producer who worked with Pink Floyd early in its career.

The band released a series of commercially and critically successful albums including 1973's "The Dark Side of the Moon," which has sold more than 40 million copies. Wright wrote "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Us and Them" for that album, and worked on the group's epic compositions such as "Atom Heart Mother," "Echoes" and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond."

But tensions grew among Waters, Wright and fellow band member David Gilmour. The tensions came to a head during the making of "The Wall" when Waters insisted Wright be fired. As a result, Wright was relegated to the status of session musician on the tour of "The Wall," and did not perform on Pink Floyd's 1983 album, "The Final Cut."

Wright formed a new band Zee with Dave Harris from the band Fashion, and released one album, "Identity," with Atlantic Records.

Waters left Pink Floyd in 1985 and Wright began recording with Mason and Gilmour again, releasing the albums "The Division Bell" and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" as Pink Floyd. Wright also released the solo albums "Wet Dream" (1978) and "Broken China" (1996).

In July 2005, Wright, Waters, Mason and Gilmour reunited to perform at the "Live 8" charity concert in London — the first time in 25 years they had been onstage together.

Wright also worked on Gilmour's solo projects, most recently playing on the 2006 album "On an Island" and the accompanying world tour.

Gilmour paid tribute to Wright on Monday, saying his input was often forgotten.

"He was gentle, unassuming and private but his soulful voice and playing were vital, magical components of our most recognized Pink Floyd sound," he said. "I have never played with anyone quite like him."

I just can't find words to describe the shock I felt this morning when I heard the news this afternoon, before going to work.

I didn't know, like most of us, he was battling cancer.

There's no justice on this damn Earth... Pink Floyd was the first band I REALLY enjoyed. And to see one of them go at such an early age... I just can't believe it.

Thank you, Richard, for being who you were, a great talented man. Thank you for every notes!!

Rick Wright was not unlike JPJ...quiet, unassuming yet VITAL to the overall sound of the band and it's success.

I am sick with sadness. The Great Gig in the Sky i consider to be one of the top 10 compositions in the genre....outstanding.

R.I.P Richard. I'll alway's be looking towards the sky, awaiting your greatest gig ever.

NOw i think they'll make "A gret Gig in the sky", it will be a good party...

We know, you never said you were frightened of dying, but we don't like miss great persons

R.I.P. Man, thank you,

P.S> grat (wo)men don't die never!!!

I wonder when Roger will release a statement on the matter, i hope they made their peace together before Rick passed away.

Yes as Waters was a little nasy over the years about rick, but lets face it Waters could snd never has written something more beautiful TGGITS !!

I've been listening to this over and over - can't help feeling it's about him now as well as Syd. I saw them once in 1994, it was unforgettable. Pink Floyd is actually my favorite band, has been since the 80s. Can't find words to express the sorrow. I only hope he didn't suffer long.

Archived