L.A. soundboards - where?

badgeholder

I mean, surely they exist. Or existed. They wouldn't record other stops but not L.A. All we have is pieces of '73. But nothing from '75? Nothing from '77? Who's holding out here, Jimmy? or the bootleggers? Were they lost in a fire or something? These are 'holy grails', I don't understand them still being M.I.A.

Why L.A. only? I dunno why there aren't any soundboard recordings from L.A. in these years, but I would venture to guess that Jimmy has nothing to do with it, as he had little to do with any of them. In all reality, as infamous as Led Zeppelin was in L.A., I'd bet that they're being hoarded by some bootlegger.

All I can do is point out the alternatives:

For California '75, theres really good audience recordings (8/10) of the show at Long Beach on 3/11 and a somewhat newer soundboard (9/10) of the show in San Diego on 3/14.

For California '77, theres good audience (8/10) recordings of the show in L.A., hell, theres even a Winston Remaster.

I get the feeling you dont like audience recordings? Its an acquired taste really, but I've learned to love them for the atmosphere.

No, not at all, I love the audience recordings that do exist of these shows. Just something I'm wondering aloud about. Thought maybe there was a story behind their absence that one of you could reveal. A 'hoarder' would explain it, but we don't know this for certain, correct?

Nope... at least I don't know for certain... I've been trading bootlegs for a while now and have never come across any information about these shows in any trading circles. I will ask around though.

Like I said, Led Zeppelin's performances at the L.A. Forum were famous for always being among the best performances. If any shows were to be hoarded by someone (most likely in hopes of gaining some profit :angry:), those would be it.

I definitely don't think it has anything to do with Jimmy or the band.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Nope... at least I don't know for certain... I've been trading bootlegs for a while now and have never come across any information about these shows in any trading circles. I will ask around though.

Like I said, Led Zeppelin's performances at the L.A. Forum were famous for always being among the best performances. If any shows were to be hoarded by someone (most likely in hopes of gaining some profit :angry:), those would be it.

I definitely don't think it has anything to do with Jimmy or the band.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Well we dont know what a soundboard "would" sound like.

It certainly does not blow you away just because its an audience recording, its an amazing show.

No kidding, of course it's a great show. What I'm saying is that I like a great audience recording over a soundboard.

What about the rumor (or fact??) behind the naming of Listen to this Eddie. Eddie Kramer would not record shows in 77 because he thought Jimmy's playing was bad.

I want a soundboard from Seattle 75 and the 77 LA shows

Well I don't know (but I been told) but I heard that the title came from an interview with EVH where in he said "Jimmy Page plays so sloppy live" the DJ replied "Listen to this Eddie" and played 1977-06-21. Anyone know the real story?

What about the rumor (or fact??) behind the naming of Listen to this Eddie. Eddie Kramer would not record shows in 77 because he thought Jimmy's playing was bad.

I want a soundboard from Seattle 75 and the 77 LA shows

That has to do with Millard's fantastic sound (for audience recordings).

"Hey, Listen to This Eddie... It's an audience and it sounds far better than a sdb!"

Well I don't know (but I been told) but I heard that the title came from an interview with EVH where in he said "Jimmy Page plays so sloppy live" the DJ replied "Listen to this Eddie" and played 1977-06-21. Anyone know the real story?

I read that "Eddie" was a personal friend of Mike Millards and he wrote "listen to this eddie" on the tape cause Millard was impressed with his recording and wanted his friend Eddie to check it out.

VH's first record didn't come out until '78 and this recording and title was done in '77,

so it definitely had nothing to do with EV.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the Millard sources for the Forum '77 shows damn near surpass about 99.9% of officially released 'live albums' (most of which are usually edited and/or overdubbed to hell and back), who needs soundboards of these shows? Except, perhaps, for matrixing purposes ala "Four Blocks In The Snow" from Feb 12 '75.

I agree that a Seattle '75 SBD would be nice, though. It's a perfectly decent audience recording, mind you. Gimme a good audience tape over a sterile soundboard any day!

• 1 month later...

One thing I would hope see surface someday is the complete 2 track multitrack mixdown of the Los Angeles (and Long Beach) shows from 1972. The 3 songs we've had since the early 90's from Long Beach are from this source. Certainly better than any audience or soundboard tape! ;)

Archived