Americana Music Awards on XM

Kentuckygirl

The Americana Music Awards will be broadcast live from the Ryman Auditorium Thursday Evening, 8PM EST on XM Satellite Channel 12. Raising Sand/RPAK are up for duet/group performance of the year and at least two other awards. Buddy Miller will be providing music for the entire show and T-Bone Burnett is scheduled to appear, along with a "very special surprise performance". :rolleyes:

Oh, this sounds nice!

I attended the rehearsal/soundcheck. Believe me you will not be disappointed if you listen to this show. I will not give anything away since it is supposed to be a "surprise". I am completely blown away by the talent of these musicians. RP fans will want to listen to this show. XM, channel 12.

It was a terrific show, had a great time. Robert and Alison did not perform together, however Robert performed a duet with Buddy Miller, and they recorded it in an empty dressing room before the show so it could go on the new album (Buddy's album). Robert and Alison did present an award together and he put on his glasses to read the nominee list. He has a great sense of humor and can win over any audience. He made a comment when they won duet of the year along the lines of "For years I sang in a band and I was the only singer. I like this better." When they won award #2 he told a classic Led Zeppelin story (I attended rehearsal and he was in a storytelling mood today) about being given the keys to the city then being placed under arrest for "inciting something" shortly thereafter. Alison then commented "I don't have any stories". He talked about how much he has changed, and how much Nashville has changed. (He is accurate in his assessment of Nashville, the indies are rising up against the old guard and all music fans that live here are the winners!)

Maybe JP needs to hire some backup singers. I am rambling due to lack of sleep. No mention of a Raising Sand #2 album by anyone. T Bone did not show up for the show. Led Zeppelin not discussed except for what I reported from the show, and not mentioned by name at all.

When they won award #2 he told a classic Led Zeppelin story (I attended rehearsal and he was in a storytelling mood today) about being given the keys to the city then being placed under arrest for inciting somethin shortly thereafter.

That would be Memphis in 1970. He didnt imply it was Nashville did he?

There are several Nashvilles throughout the United States. That must be what you are talking about, in your general terms. No specifics about the Tennessee one though?

There is only one Nashville, Tennessee.

Q. What is the shape of the driveway at President Andrew Jackson's home Hermitage?

A. The drive is in the shape of a guitar.

http://www.nashville.com/facts.html

Plant continued, I came to Nashville 30 or 40 years ago with the other band. We get the keys to the city, and then half-way through (the concert), we were (under) house arrest for inciting something.

He did confuse that part a bit then, didnt he? :lol:

Memphis and Nashville are a world apart actually, in many ways.

Plant continued, I came to Nashville 30 or 40 years ago with the other band. We get the keys to the city, and then half-way through (the concert), we were (under) house arrest for inciting something.

ledzeppelin.com/search/node/Nashville

He's brilliant.

I believe that people in Nashville are being nicer to him now than they were back then. His hippiesque appearance in 1970 may not have been as well received in 1970 as it would be today. Long-haired hippies in the South encountered challenging situations in earlier times.

265015611_1028144.gif

That's a big Congrats!

It is great to see a really good pairing such as Alison Krauss and Robert Plant get the respect and notability they deserved for creating Raising Sand.

It's funny to think how many Plant fans have been harping and pining for a duet for a very long time and it is good that time gave us this moment. I have learned being a patience Plant fan can have its rewards.

On the flip side it is good to see that things change because from the past it seemed that Robert Plant wasn't into the whole music awards thing but I'm very happy that this time around we're getting a chance to enjoy this side.

I also love it when Mr. Plant is in a storytelling mode and I love your thoughts Eternal Light...some things do change but stay the same haha and I had always heard the rumor that because of Mr. Plant's experiences with those moments in Memphis and Nashville back in the day it was one reason we didn't see him performing much in Tennessee -- I figured it was always a rumor that those were the reasons haha what ever the case at least the spell has been broken...can't keep the country boy from the crossroads--Tennessee or Mississippi ;)

Truly a night to remember and I bet after all this Lady Alison will have lots of stories of her own to tell haha :D

Almost cut my hair

It happened just the other day

It's gettin kinda long

I could have said it was in my way

But I didn't and I wonder why

I feel like letting my freak flag fly

Cause I feel like I owe it to someone

David Crosby

He's brilliant.

I believe that people in Nashville are being nicer to him now then they were back then. His hippiesque appearance in 1970 may not have been as well received in 1970 as it would be today. Long-haired hippies in the South encountered challenging situations in earlier times.

I'd love to change the world

But I don't know what to do

So I'll leave it up to you

Ten Years After

I believe that people in Nashville are being nicer to him now then they were back then. His hippiesque appearance in 1970 may not have been as well received in 1970 as it would be today. Long-haired hippies in the South encountered challenging situations in earlier times.

265015611_1028144.gif

Yes...they encountered hostility in several Southern cities. Heres some reference to the Memphis show. Im fully aware of their Nashville appearance as well, one of their few not documented on bootleg.

From the Led Zeppelin Concert File booklet by Lewis and Pallett describing the content and atmosphere of the show:

There was a heavy security presence at the venue and, as is typical on this tour, the authorities overreacted to the sight of thousands of kids enjoying themselves. By How Many More Times, the house lights had been raised. Plant tried to diffuse the situation: I want the policemen to put their hands together. Put those lights down! Youre beautiful -- even with the lights on!

Events spiralled as the band launched into Chuck Berrys Memphis Tennessee. Backstage, the promoter tried to coerce Peter Grant into pulling Zeppelin off the stage. When he refused, a gun was pulled and thrust at Grants stomach. Grants response is blunt and to the point: You cant shoot me, ya c---. Theyve just given us the f---ing keys to the city.

5649_2.JPG

Here is a rare ticket stub from an early performance at the Mid South Coliseum in the heart of a music mecca – Memphis, Tennessee. This show was held April 17, 1970

Archived