How to Stop Global Warming.

Global

think about it, 'they' say that the arctic ice is melting, when it is actually increasing in size.

they will tell you anything to create new taxes.

the earth heated up by 0.6 degress in the past so many years, so what? big deal, that's not alot, and wait, it'll cool down once again.

yes, i am a conspiracy theorist.

oh, you are welcome "i have got a hor.." (can't read the rest of your name)

I don't like conspiracy theorists in general because, too often, they refuse to acknowledge all the facts (Dylan Avery's Loose Change is mocked even by The 9/11 truth Movement!)

But it would appear that you're on to something here B)

Ah yes, the great Global Warming Conspiracy... one of the greatest swindles since the great carpet-sweeper scams of the late 1970's...This, my friends, is bigger than the Hitler Diaries...

Those crafty, scheming Environmentalists, who fraudulently invented this whole thing just so tax dollars could be raised...my God, they'll stop at nothing...

It's all lies...deliberate lies! They're all in on it...the activists, the scientists, the politicans...they have a huge environmentally-friendly underground control centre in the ANWR where they have their secret meetings...

I mean they faked the moon landing, sure, 9/11 as well, but to suggest the polar ice caps are melting and there's a whole in the ozone layer???? How dare they, they've gone too far...enough is enough, we should declare war on these evil, lying, scheming people, and the only way we can get to them, to their underground secret bunker in the ANWR is to drill, baby, drill!

Ah yes, the great Global Warming Conspiracy... one of the greatest swindles since the great carpet-sweeper scams of the late 1970's...This, my friends, is bigger than the Hitler Diaries...

Those crafty, scheming Environmentalists, who fraudulently invented this whole thing just so tax dollars could be raised...my God, they'll stop at nothing...

I don't believe that at all. I just think that they're using it to their advantage too often

I don't believe that at all. I just think that they're using it to their advantage too often

I'd rather believe it and do something

Rather than do nothing at all.

Because at least then if it is natural and not man-made we know we did everything we could...

Do we really want the option of our children saying "and they did fucking nothing about it..."?

uhm, did you all realised that the newbie Global started a thread saying nothing and you're all talking about nothing but your thoughts?

...and they would be...?

yes, Global, what's the question or the answer?

otherwise this is not a thread, it's nothing

:burp:

Here's a real solution.

Stop this endless discussion about "global warming". That'll save a lot of hot air from messing with the atmosphere.

ditto! and not only "air" ...

:wtf:

It's all lies...deliberate lies! They're all in on it...the activists, the scientists, the politicans...they have a huge environmentally-friendly underground control centre in the ANWR where they have their secret meetings...

I mean they faked the moon landing, sure, 9/11 as well, but to suggest the polar ice caps are melting and there's a whole in the ozone layer???? How dare they, they've gone too far...enough is enough, we should declare war on these evil, lying, scheming people, and the only way we can get to them, to their underground secret bunker in the ANWR is to drill, baby, drill!

The difference is that the moon landings or 9/11 are widely acknowlged facts where as man made global warming is a theory. Its an area of legitmate concern but theres a whole lot of vested political and finaical interest in it being correct, if you don't think that can lead to bias ten your a fool IMHO.

Somewhere it was said, much of the warming is due to the flatulence of cows. If there werent so many damned people on this planet to feed there wouldnt be as much farting! <_<

ZERO population growth will be the ONLY cure for impending calamities and disasters. That is within the control of people, the consequences of unmitigated growth are out of control.

But we as humans have to make life complex, we cant stand simplicity. MUST have a challenge, an adversary!

CONQUER!!!!

Lessen the impact.

Nonsense.

There is far more vested interest in proving that global warming is not happening.

IMHO...

So what does that make you?

In the past(in the 80's/90's) that may have been the case but I'm not sure it is anymore as no serious western politician will dare gainsay man made global warming, companies exist that make billions from products and services designed to prevent it, thousands of scientists are employeed to proove its existence. You seriously think that can't lead to the same bias we've seen from the skeptics in the past

Don't get me wrong I do believe its a massive cause for concern and action may need to be taken but the way politics, business and the media have become involved is a very bad sign IMHO. Add to that a public who don't seem to be at all interested in questioning this issue(mostly pro but also those anti) and I think you've got all the factors needed to make sure any "solutuion" we do get is aimed at helping those vested interests not solving the problem.

You may laugh at the original posts point but its closer to the truth than the idea that a load of yuppies recycling and buying a few gadgits is going to be the main cost of any changes to combat. The changes being talked about are and already have had massive social/economic impacts, that doesnt just mean one ivory backstracher less for oil execs but one hospital wing less for chinese peasents.

The difference is that the moon landings or 9/11 are widely acknowlged facts where as man made global warming is a theory. Its an area of legitmate concern but theres a whole lot of vested political and finaical interest in it being correct, if you don't think that can lead to bias ten your a fool IMHO.

Forget about it, Greenman. You talking on a dead phone. We're dealing with people that want to turn the clock back to 1955 and the good old days of Ike. Where the public was kept out of the loop because of so called "national security"

Yes, when a majority of the world's scientists agree that if we don't do something soon, we will reach a point of no return, i think it's time something be done. But see, working together isn't something these conservatives like to do. And who can believe some liberal commie anyway?

In the past(in the 80's/90's) that may have been the case but I'm not sure it is anymore as no serious western politician will dare gainsay man made global warming, companies exist that make billions from products and services designed to prevent it, thousands of scientists are employeed to proove its existence. You seriously think that can't lead to the same bias we've seen from the skeptics in the past

As far as environmental change and global warming goes, I just cannot understand the skeptics viewpoint on this topic. To me it defies logic.

There really doesn't need to be any threat of Global Warming for us to lessen our environmental impact.

If we have to give up fossil fuels and other sources of energy such as coal to find renewable, cleaner energy sources, then surely that is a benefit in itself as we will have renewable energy, no economic dependence on foreign oil (which is limited anyway)

If we live in a cleaner environment, that's better for us health-wise, just ask any pathologist who cuts up a lung from an urban-dwelling person. Environment contributes roughly 30% to the ageing process, a cleaner environment means there's a likelihood we'll age better...

recyclable products and materials mean we don't have to plunder the planet's resources as much...

If tax dollars have to be invested into finding ways for economic production to have less of an impact on our environment, then I'm all for it.

We benefit and our future generations benefit if we take proper care of the planet. None of it should have to be done under the threat of 'global warming'. So, frankly, it's irrelevant if global warming is real or not to motivate our actions.

We don't own the planet, we're merely custodians of it, like the Queen doesn't own Buckingham Palace, merely looking after it for future generations.

Skeptics are merely griping at the possibility of having to pay an extra tax, and I find those motivations somewhat selfish. It's a small price to pay for a better environment. The money you might have to pay in an extra tax you will get back through cheaper energy and fuel costs.

As far as environmental change and global warming goes, I just cannot understand the skeptics viewpoint on this topic. To me it defies logic.

There really doesn't need to be any threat of Global Warming for us to lessen our environmental impact.

If we have to give up fossil fuels and other sources of energy such as coal to find renewable, cleaner energy sources, then surely that is a benefit in itself as we will have renewable energy, no economic dependence on foreign oil (which is limited anyway)

If we live in a cleaner environment, that's better for us health-wise, just ask any pathologist who cuts up a lung from an urban-dwelling person. Environment contributes roughly 30% to the ageing process, a cleaner environment means there's a likelihood we'll age better...

recyclable products and materials mean we don't have to plunder the planet's resources as much...

If tax dollars have to be invested into finding ways for economic production to have less of an impact on our environment, then I'm all for it.

We benefit and our future generations benefit if we take proper care of the planet. None of it should have to be done under the threat of 'global warming'. So, frankly, it's irrelevant if global warming is real or not to motivate our actions.

We don't own the planet, we're merely custodians of it, like the Queen doesn't own Buckingham Palace, merely looking after it for future generations.

Skeptics are merely griping at the possibility of having to pay an extra tax, and I find those motivations somewhat selfish. It's a small price to pay for a better environment. The money you might have to pay in an extra tax you will get back through cheaper energy and fuel costs.

I think that alot of the skepticism comes from the feeling that where not being informed about global warming by our politicans/business/media but rather being indoctrinated, any criticism(which doesnt happen often) is instantly rejected as vetsed interest and any mistakes or disprooven pro global warming theories are quickly forgotten. That kind of enviroment is going to produce a backlash thats just as extreme and ill informed.

The points you raise are correct we do need to look at those areas aswell BUT it doesnt hold that any action taken to pervent possible global warming/climate change will be the best way to deal with them. Just the reverse maybe true as goverements may drop schemes to reduce deforrestaion or water pollution because the cost of cutting down cardon emmissions is so extreme.

Personally I think this whole issue ties into a strong anti science movement in the general public, just look at the way nuclear power is rejected out of hand as a possible solution because it doesnt fit into a "green" image. The emphasis is always on the fact that our modern lifestyle is "agenst nature" and needs to change not that an unbias use if our scientific knowledge can be used to solve the problem.

I think that alot of the skepticism comes from the feeling that where not being informed about global warming by our politicans/business/media but rather being indoctrinated, any criticism(which doesnt happen often) is instantly rejected as vetsed interest and any mistakes or disprooven pro global warming theories are quickly forgotten. That kind of enviroment is going to produce a backlash thats just as extreme and ill informed.

Personally I think this whole issue ties into a strong anti science movement in the general public, just look at the way nuclear power is rejected out of hand as a possible solution because it doesnt fit into a "green" image. The emphasis is always on the fact that our modern lifestyle is "agenst nature" and needs to change not that an unbias use if our scientific knowledge can be used to solve the problem.

Yeah but I think that comes from the feeling that Governments have to force people and corporations to go green or to be more environmentally sensitive. And I can see the logic in that, a lot of people and companies could not be bothered, certainly in the past, to make the necessary effort or expense to be more environmentally sensitive.

Nuclear power is not rejected because it doesn't fit in to the 'green image', it's rejected because of public safety concernes due to previous accidents such as Chernobyl and Three Mile Island. Even though the number of accidents is very small, there is still public unease about nuclear energy, and on top of that you also have the problem of where do you safely store the build-up of radioactive waste from thousands of nuclear power plants?

and on top of that you also have the problem of where do you safely store the build-up of radioactive waste from thousands of nuclear power plants?

Yucca Mountain !!

Only mad dogs and Englishmen can be found out here, and a few aliens looking for area 51. B)

Yucca_Mountain_2.jpg

nv_map.gif

http://www.ocrwm.doe.gov/ym_repository/index.shtml

Now if we can only guarantee its safe transport. :(

Archived