Is Robert Plant still a Rock singer

McSeven

Maybe we can blame Robert's sister ;as upon hearing the new collaboration with Alison krauss ,She said too Robert "THAT'S THE FIRST TIME I'VE HEARD YOU SING PROPERLY' Robert has been quoted saying that....

Cool - I didn't know Robert had a sister. I thought the band were all only children (and all named after their fathers, I vaguely recall reading in George Case's bio of Jimmy). Anyhoo, here's the article. Robert is as witty as ever:

ROBERT PLANT was amazed to receive praise from his sister recently - the veteran rocker's greatest critic likes his new album with bluegrass star ALISON KRAUSS. The Led Zeppelin singer admits his sibling has never enjoyed his music, but she can't stop telling him how much she likes new disc Raising Sand. Plant says, "My sister, who normally thinks that my music - well, she thinks that I should be sectioned, taken off somewhere and strapped down - she's texting me: 'It's so beautiful, I can't wait to meet Alison, she's made you sing properly.'"

Er...don't see how it's either predictable as this form of music and singing is something he's never done so how is that predictable? And how is it easy when he admitted he had to learn how to find the harmonies and sing them?

If you had seen the world tour of Eric Clapton 2-3 years ago the set list of songs Eric did were songs that what you'd expect a man in his Early 60's to sing and play too.As a lot of these aging rock stars (Rod Stewart,Mick Jagger. etc)tend to ;(if they do do a song that can be vocally challenging) let the audience sing the high notes and chorus etc .As in Roberts case share those high notes with Alison (who can take the lead of the note and harmonize with Robert) so in essence although this is something New for Robert it has been well timed for his vocal limitation as he's getting older. :thumbsup::wave:

If you had seen the world tour of Eric Clapton 2-3 years ago the set list of songs Eric did were songs that what you'd expect a man in his Early 60's to sing and play too.As a lot of these aging rock stars (Rod Stewart,Mick Jagger. etc)tend to ;(if they do do a song that can be vocally challenging) let the audience sing the high notes and chorus etc .As in Roberts case share those high notes with Alison (who can take the lead of the note and harmonize with Robert) so in essence although this is something New for Robert it has been well timed for his vocal limitation as he's getting older. :thumbsup::wave:

That's a good point, and the main reason why I would stay clear of most older group that utilize a front singer. Thank God Clapton stayed with mostly older blues songs, which the audience cold not join in on, when I saw him recently. Shut up and let the musicians play, please!!!

That's a good point, and the main reason why I would stay clear of most older group that utilize a front singer. Thank God Clapton stayed with mostly older blues songs, which the audience cold not join in on, when I saw him recently. Shut up and let the musicians play, please!!!

I think there is a fair amount of, how shall we say it, convenient plausible deniability in a lot of Robert's creative decisions for a long time. For instance, the softer acoustic treatments of some songs on Unledded, the softer side of Walking into Clarksdale, seemed to be strategic on his part, as well as the softer approach in Priory of Brion and Strange Sensations. Like that clip of Slow Dancer that was referenced a while back with Strange Sensations. It's almost muzak the way the drums were reduced to a pitter patter. Only he can talk about the degree of wear and tear that singing in his signature rock style puts on his body. He's never really spoken to it in clinical terms, but did say that he sang his balls off at the O2, and that's despite the downtuning and having the audience sing half of Black Dog. So you can infer that it DOES take a lot out of him to do it these days and while he may still be able to do it in little special-effects bursts here and there, it's not something he's capable and/or willing to do on a sustained basis. So he may be manufacturing a lot of peripheral reasons for not touring with Zep to cover for this.

He can but seldom does. IMHO, he ceased to be a rock singer when he left Jimmy in 98.

Views may vary.

I agree with you, Its quite obvious that Robert doesnt like Hard rock at all anymore. I never here him talk about this hard rock band or that band . Jimmy does as well as John Paul . I think maybe Robert would rather do an acoustic Zep Tour instead. He knows his voice could handle that .

Robert Plant unequivocally proved at the O2 concert, last December, that, when Robert Plant appears as a member of "Led Zeppelin", that he indeed can sing "Rock", and can do that better than anyone else on the planet. Nuf Said.

Tell Dave groul /grovel that.

Robert still a Rock Singer? <_<

Robert is still just a Rock Singer? :blink:

Robert is still THE Rock Singer! B)

It wasn't until I read this thread, had I ever considered Robert as a "Rock Singer".

IMO he has transcended many genres and I've always thought of him as multi-vocalistic.

The benefit of his extensive travels throughout the planet, is he has experienced untold musical cultures both as player and student.

Everyone on here knows how and what Robert has performed with and without Zeppelin.

He always extends his boundaries, prepared to live or die on his music, he could have easily kept on playing with Jimmy and JPJ a la The Stones, but no, he took risks.

I know people who said to me after listening to his solo stuff, "but it's not like Zeppelin's music is it?".

That's the point, it isn't.

Or is it, who knows what Robert's solo songs would have turned out like if played by Zep?

That goes for Jimmy and Jonesy's solo work too.

Many have copied him and many did fail, others will try again in the future, alas to no avail.

Whatever he has chosen to do so far has been original, and for the most part, exceeded expectations.

As will anything he decides to do in the future.

Back to the question.......

Is Robert Plant still a Rock Singer?

YES, and much more.

I think there is a fair amount of, how shall we say it, convenient plausible deniability in a lot of Robert's creative decisions for a long time. For instance, the softer acoustic treatments of some songs on Unledded, the softer side of Walking into Clarksdale, seemed to be strategic on his part, as well as the softer approach in Priory of Brion and Strange Sensations. Like that clip of Slow Dancer that was referenced a while back with Strange Sensations. It's almost muzak the way the drums were reduced to a pitter patter. Only he can talk about the degree of wear and tear that singing in his signature rock style puts on his body. He's never really spoken to it in clinical terms, but did say that he sang his balls off at the O2, and that's despite the downtuning and having the audience sing half of Black Dog. So you can infer that it DOES take a lot out of him to do it these days and while he may still be able to do it in little special-effects bursts here and there, it's not something he's capable and/or willing to do on a sustained basis. So he may be manufacturing a lot of peripheral reasons for not touring with Zep to cover for this.

Its true that Robert's voice has changed - they wanted to play "The Rover" at the O2 but couldn't because Robert's voice doesn't suit it anymore and they didn't want to change the key - but he really isn't making excuses for not wanting to do a Zeppelin tour. He just doesn't want to.

The reason I say that Robert is not a rock singer anymore is that he seems to be leaning his voice over more acoustic songs.

Is the next RP album/download, going to have him singing over a heavy bass/drums/electric guitar sound. I doubt it.

I love Robert don't get me wrong. I just feel like he is a different singer at this stage of his life. If you look at other singers in bands such as Rob Halford from Judas Priest. His solo stuff had him go even more heavy.

I just can't see Robert singing over a heavy rock groove like he did with Zep.

Mc7

The reason I say that Robert is not a rock singer anymore is that he seems to be leaning his voice over more acoustic songs.Is the next RP album/download, going to have him singing over a heavy bass/drums/electric guitar sound. I doubt it.

I love Robert don't get me wrong. I just feel like he is a different singer at this stage of his life. If you look at other singers in bands such as Rob Halford from Judas Priest. His solo stuff had him go even more heavy.

I just can't see Robert singing over a heavy rock groove like he did with Zep.

Mc7

I don't think so--Raising Sand isn't acoustic. It's not headbanging stuff, I'll admit. But just because he doesn't take a particular approach on one album, doesn't mean he CAN'T do it.

Btw, much as I'd have loved to have heard The Rover at the O2, it's probably just as well it worked out that way--most of the song (on the album version, anyway) is basically falsetto, and it would have sounded almost bizarre for him to be singing in that key when he was nearly 60. Actually that's another reason that it doesn't bother me at all that he's lost the top end of his range.

Although this Collaboration with Alison has in a way "taken the heat"off Robert as far as Led Zeppelin reunions etc go .How long do you think Alison ,will want to continue Harmonizing /Duets with Robert ;when she has already got a well established career and fans who maybe wanting Her to get back to her "roots" so to speak.As far as Robert doing /singing " softer acoustic treatments" I still really enjoy songs like "All the Kings horses""song to the siren" etc.I hope we can hear more of that type of singing/songs from Robert in the future.I hope He'd consider his next Solo album (if he wants no part in L.Z)to be solely an softer acoustic Album. :wtf:

Being 60 years old now, he may not be able to hit the high notes like he did 30-40 years ago, but

I'd say he definitely is still a rock singer. It is natural that over the years, someone's ability to hit those high notes may lessen over time. Just comes with age and vocal strain. I think his current project now, suits his voice just fine though, so that is why he seeks out these types of projects and has a great time doing so. He knows what types of songs best suit his voice now.

Watching him sing "Nothin" and even "Black Country Woman" since it was a bit heavier, on the Raising Sand tour was a good example of him proving he's still a rock singer. Not that he needs to prove anything to anyone. He seems to be able to do it when he wants. But to sing that way for an entire tour at 60 years old, when so much is expected of you is another thing. His voice wasn't perfect live for an entire tour in his 20's either. Why strain his voice when he doesn't have to?

Archived