Pseudonyms For Band/Bandmembers

ledzeprolls

I read in the booklet of a Black Sabbath album that someone (must have been some black sabbath member because if not why would they cover the topic there) told Jimmy Page that naming his new band "the new yardbirds" was gonna "go down like a lead zeppelin" and thats where they got the name for the band, only they spelled it LED so that americans wouldnt mispronounce it.

what i wanted to say is, "the NEW yardbirds" was on the table at some point.

The New Yardbirds was on the table because of contractual obligations by JP with Yardbirds and it was "billed," as "The New Yardbirds" instead of Led Zeppelin...

I read in the booklet of a Black Sabbath album that someone (must have been some black sabbath member because if not why would they cover the topic there) told Jimmy Page that naming his new band "the new yardbirds" was gonna "go down like a lead zeppelin" and thats where they got the name for the band, only they spelled it LED so that americans wouldnt mispronounce it.

Damn, that's good///

You must have difficulty with the term "Additionally."

Um, you wrote "pseudonyms for band/bandmembers" in the title of the thread when perhaps you should have put "pseudonyms and nicknames." The "additionally" is buried in the message, but whatevs. Don't feel like splitting hairs/hares/heirs. :drunk:

I believe it was Keith Moon who said that. And I don't think he was ever part of Black Sabbath. Some people say that it was John Entwhistle though. (Still not part of Black Sabbath)

I believe it was Keith Moon who said that. And I don't think he was ever part of Black Sabbath. Some people say that it was John Entwhistle though. (Still not part of Black Sabbath)

haha i knew i had no idea who said it. it was a wild guess! but you gotta admit my reasoning was... well, reasonable. O_o

The name origin came from what Page, Moon, Entwistle, and Jeff Beck were playing in a studio. Either Moon or Entwistle joked that they should name the band Lead Zeppelin because it would go over like a lead baloon because they didn't have a vocalist. Jimmy Page heard the joke from someone maybe Moon or Entwistle directly but some say he heard it second hand. And he liked the name. Dropped the A because it could be confused with lead as in lead singer.

The name origin came from what Page, Moon, Entwistle, and Jeff Beck were playing in a studio. Either Moon or Entwistle joked that they should name the band Lead Zeppelin because it would go over like a lead baloon because they didn't have a vocalist. Jimmy Page heard the joke from someone maybe Moon or Entwistle directly but some say he heard it second hand. And he liked the team. Dropped the A because it could be confused with lead as in lead singer.

so the Black Sabbath album LIED to me? ooooo not cool.

I don't think they were ever billed as The New Yardbirds !! I think that if you look at any poster/advert/flyers of the time it says The Yardbirds !!

I know its a bit picky but thought I would say !! if I am wrong then please someone tell me !! :)

Well,

The thread topic says "What were they called." As far as for our purposes, many people remember them as being "The New Yardbirds." And that's what was in newspapers and such. The posters I am unsure about. I think there's at least one that is though.

Good topic :blink::blink:

Rolls>>> :wacko:

S. Flavius Mercurius is our mystery guest. Who is he and why was he called this? Additionally what else have you heard RP/JP/JPJ/JHB called?

They all have different names they use when checking into hotels too...I'm going to respect their privacy and not share those names, sorry. But they do exist.

The Scandinavian Tour in 1968 was already billed for the Yardbirds. So they had to do those shows as the New Yardbirds. Those were the only dates they were billed as the New Yardbirds. After that it was strictly Led Zeppelin.

The Scandinavian Tour in 1968 was already billed for the Yardbirds. So they had to do those shows as the New Yardbirds. Those were the only dates they were billed as the New Yardbirds. After that it was strictly Led Zeppelin.

Thanks for helping me sort that out NZ :)

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Jimmy has been referred to as the 'Dark Lord'. :thumbsup:B)

I have also heard him referred to as Satan...anyone care to elaborate on how someone can be called "God" and "Satan." I mean come on lmao :blink::blink:

Good one ReR. Love the way you make people laugh, you little DEVILU :)

1. Links to live recordings are not permitted on this site.

2. Those shows are not from the dates listed on The New Yardbirds "London Blues" is not from the 1968 dates to which they are credited. As Zen said in the comments on the page to which you linked:

source 1 used is 1969-04-26 - Winterland, San Francisco

source 2 used is 1969-06-27 - Playhouse, London

3. The earliest known live recording in circulation is from Dec. 30, 1968 at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash.

1. Links to live recordings are not permitted on this site.

2. Those shows are not from the dates listed on The New Yardbirds "London Blues" is not from the 1968 dates to which they are credited. As Zen said in the comments on the page to which you linked:

source 1 used is 1969-04-26 - Winterland, San Francisco

source 2 used is 1969-06-27 - Playhouse, London

3. The earliest known live recording in circulation is from Dec. 30, 1968 at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash.

1. I put this here to show that they were called The New Yardbirds.

2. This is not my site selling whatever it is.

3. How is it you knew it was there and I didnt?

In other words what I am saying is the err, is with them and not I.

Cheers>>> :wacko:

First Performance As The New Yardbirds....

Nobody knew on the night of September 7, 1968 at the Gladsaxe Teen Club (Copenhagen, Denmark

http://www.angel.dk/zeppelin/Pages/ZEPovers1.html

As far as you know thats the only "known" recording right. And not to argue, but new ones come along all the time. Right? I am horrible with dates too. This is quite true, I cannot remember dates hardly at all. Especially on theh obscure things. Wheres Bruce Deerhake when need him.

Ohhh good posts btw, I may have to pull those links, I dunno.

Nobody knew on the night of September 7, 1968 at the Gladsaxe Teen Club (Copenhagen, Denmark

As far as you know thats the only "known" recording right. And not to argue, but new ones come along all the time. Right? I am horrible with dates too. This is quite true, I cannot remember dates hardly at all. Especially on theh obscure things. Wheres Bruce Deerhake when need him.

No sweat. I'd hate to see someone get banned for posting links here -- it's a strict no-no that carried over from the other site. Not many may know that, though. :drunk:

As for those dates...

The first show was on Sept. 7, '68 in Denmark. No audio has appeared and been validated that it's from prior to that Gonzaga show on Dec. 30. You're right about new shows popping up all the time, but there's been nothing to surface earlier than Gonzaga other than the outtakes from Zeppelin I. That's not to say there ISN'T stuff out there from some of those early shows that's being hoarded or is undiscovered, but nothing proven to exist.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm a collector of bootlegs. The only date from 68 that is out there is from the Gonzaga show. Mostly because recording technology really wasn't perfected till 1970. That's why most of the 1969 shows are a bit rough for some shows.

No sweat. I'd hate to see someone get banned for posting links here -- it's a strict no-no that carried over from the other site. Not many may know that, though. :drunk:

As for those dates...

The first show was on Sept. 7, '68 in Denmark. No audio has appeared and been validated that it's from prior to that Gonzaga show on Dec. 30. You're right about new shows popping up all the time, but there's been nothing to surface earlier than Gonzaga other than the outtakes from Zeppelin I. That's not to say there ISN'T stuff out there from some of those early shows that's being hoarded or is undiscovered, but nothing proven to exist.

Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense to me. This is why I have people help me remember dates. Everything else I have almost a photographic memory. I never forget anything. Oh well, no harm done either way, and this is about the best fucking band that ever was anyhooooo :) I've been around the block lol.

Cheers,

>>>Rolls :wacko:

Archived