Bureaucracy putting Plant off LZ reunion

Vega

Music Radar has this to say:

Just for the O2 show, Plant says, "The endless paperwork was like nothing I've experienced before. I've kept every one of the emails that were exchanged before the concert and I'm thinking of compiling them for a book, which I feel sure would be hailed as a sort of literary version of Spinal Tap."

In must will come as a harsh slap to millions of Zeppelin fans, Plant adds: "Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans. We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms."

I will talk to him only if he's being nice.

He always talks about how he wants to keep the legacy in tact, yet he says fans don't matter. So he's basically saying he wants the fans to remember them like they were yet he doesn't care about what the fans think? What?

Led Zeppelin's legacy is set in stone. The critics never gave a damn about the band while they were a band. Suddenly those same critics talk about Zeppelin like they were great at that time and always were. Fact is if Jonesy, Pagey, and Jason are probably going to do this with or without Robert, and I don't think Robert will be able to resist if they make it public that there will be a tour next year.

Robert is well off enough where he can hire lawyers or people to do the paperwork.

I totally agree with you on all counts. And there was a time when Led Zeppelin were hailed as being "all about the fans." Funny how Robert's mind forgets who put him on the map.

In the words of Queenie, Black Adder: Percy's mouth is open- should be shut.

I totally agree with you on all counts. And there was a time when Led Zeppelin were hailed as being "all about the fans." Funny how Robert's mind forgets who put him on the map.

In the words of Queenie, Black Adder: Percy's mouth is open- should be shut.

I don't think Robert forgot his fans. I think the statement has been misinterpreted and the point he was trying to make was that they weren't going to do what people wanted or expected to hear, i.e. doing Whole Lotta Love part two, three and four. It was what they were inspired to create and reinventing the wheel every time, not that he didn't care about his fans.

I sort of took the comment about the paperwork as more metphorical for feeling a tour would be a lot of pressure and expectation placed on them - feeling weighed down by it like you would be with tons of paperwork if any of that makes sense.

It does make sense. Like all other fanatical followers of the band, I guess I need relief, and release.......basically what I'm saying is....SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT!

Where are those email hackers when you need them?? Just kidding! B)

Somehow I doubt they email each other that often if at all.

Of course I have no proof but just a feeling.

If it's about paperwork than I personally would be happy to do that for Robert to get him to join in. :D

I wouldn't mind advocating for him.

B)

I sort of took the comment about the paperwork as more metphorical for feeling a tour would be a lot of pressure and expectation placed on them - feeling weighed down by it like you would be with tons of paperwork if any of that makes sense.

At the time of the 02 concert Robert ;would have been signing paper work not only for the 02 but Rounder records,who would have been apprehensive about letting Robert do the gig with Led Zeppelin because of what would be at stake if the 02 had failed .If for some reason the 02 gig was a flop then that could have (imop)been devastating for the New Release of raising Sand as raising sand would need promoting and the mighty $$$ was a major issue for rounder records.I read somewhere that Roberts Air fares etc cost Rounder $40.000 .A huge gamble for Rounder records to take this project on.I'd say they are over the moon now and the gamble payed off. :whistling: All the way to the bank.

Easyjet from Birmingham to London City airport :D
:D:D

Nice one!!

Oh and re-reading the post above, I think the air fares comment was a little confusing, it read to me like it was talking about the O2, but perhaps it wasn't. Sorry!

:D:D

Nice one!!

I think Ryanniar charge extra if you carry your wallet or a handbag so easyjets the one here :D

As for the album it has done well in sales and critical acclaim in its one right, but that said the 02 show must have helped even thought there are Zep fans who have struggled with the album. But the tour has done well too and therefore the whole venture seems to have exceeded anyones expectations and so the record company will be happy.

And it's quite clear that Robert has enjoyed the whole thing. He has come out of the past 12months pretty well personally with the succes of the 02 show and the album.

Here's the article. Probably not readable though. That's how long it is though - £3.80 for a magazine full of adverts and this. :rolleyes:

pk345-1.jpg

Its why I never by GQ. Its the only one I have ever bought.

There's more intersting articles in the Beano :D

"Last September, when it was announced that the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin, along with Jason Bonham, son of the band's original drummer John Bonham, would be playing a one-off concert at London's O2 arena, a new kind of rock 'n' roll madness ensued. Twenty million people applied for just 20,000 tickets with fans registering at a rate of 80,000 per minute. One fan paid £83,000 for a ticket.

Why all the fuss? And why do they so richly deserve GQ's Outstanding Achievement Award?Well, back in the late 60s, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John "Bonzo" Bonham invented stadium rock. Fort-odd years on, still no band has played harder and louder with such drilled, haughty magnificence. The band split in 1980 following Bonham's death. Their last public outing was during the Philadelphia leg of Live Aid in 1985, when it took both Phil Collins and Tony Thompson to replicate Bonzo's bludgeoning style.

"There was only one way to erase all the memories of other times we got together which weren't very...substantial," says Page now, "So we thought, lets do it properly. We had just one shot. No warm-up gigs."

"It worked beautifuly," says Jones, "Jason knows every part of every song better than us, so he is totally within the spirit f things."

"Right from the first number it was absolutely terrific" adds Page.

Robert Plant is more philosophical "Just before we were going to go on, I looked out accross that corporately sponsored VIP enclosure, watching everyone with their shimmering camera phones held aloft," he says, "I thought to myself, 'Blimey, we've come a long way since me and Jimmy rented a cottage up in Snowdonia and just took a guitar and a little Phillips casette recorder."

Awards like this one are a comparative novelty to the band. "n our day, we never got any" shrugs Page. "And we probably wouldn't have turned up if we had" adds Jones. "The thing is, " says Plant, "when the temples get grey, the gongs start comiing thick and fast."

Will they reform again for a world tour? "We can't go out unless there are four members of the band there," says Page, " and currently Robert is otherwise engaged with [bluegrass artist] Alison Krauss."

Plant doesn't rule the idea out,but he still sounds wearied by the amount of beaurocracy that accompanied the O2 gig. "The endless paperwork was like nothing I've experienced before," he says, "I've kept every one of the e-mails that were exchanged before the concert and I'm thinking of compiling them for a book, which I feel sure would be hailed as a sort of literary version of Spinal Tap"

"Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans" says Plant. "We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms.""

Here's the article. Probably not readable though. That's how long it is though - £3.80 for a magazine full of adverts and this. :rolleyes:

Its why I never by GQ. Its the only one I have ever bought.

There's more intersting articles in the Beano :D

I was so disappointed when I got it. Crafty buggers sealed it up so you couldn't see exactly what was inside. I wouldn't have bothered if I'd of known. It's the size of a phone book...but not as engrossing. <_<

Will they reform again for a world tour? "We can't go out unless there are four members of the band there," says Page, " and currently Robert is otherwise engaged with [bluegrass artist] Alison Krauss."

Thanks for posting this Knebby. This quote dispels the unease I felt when I read in this morning's Sun that Jimmy was putting an ultimatum to Robert that they would use another singer if he didn't join in.

Of course, reading a story in the Sun virtually guarantees it's made up....

"Last September, when it was announced that the three surviving members of Led Zeppelin, along with Jason Bonham, son of the band's original drummer John Bonham, would be playing a one-off concert at London's O2 arena, a new kind of rock 'n' roll madness ensued. Twenty million people applied for just 20,000 tickets with fans registering at a rate of 80,000 per minute. One fan paid £83,000 for a ticket.

Why all the fuss? And why do they so richly deserve GQ's Outstanding Achievement Award?Well, back in the late 60s, Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John "Bonzo" Bonham invented stadium rock. Fort-odd years on, still no band has played harder and louder with such drilled, haughty magnificence. The band split in 1980 following Bonham's death. Their last public outing was during the Philadelphia leg of Live Aid in 1985, when it took both Phil Collins and Tony Thompson to replicate Bonzo's bludgeoning style.

"There was only one way to erase all the memories of other times we got together which weren't very...substantial," says Page now, "So we thought, lets do it properly. We had just one shot. No warm-up gigs."

"It worked beautifuly," says Jones, "Jason knows every part of every song better than us, so he is totally within the spirit f things."

Robert Plant is more philosophical "Just before we were going to go on, I looked out accross that corporately sponsored VIP enclosure, watching everyone with their shimmering camera phones held aloft," he says, "I thought to myself, 'Blimey, we've come a long way since me and Jimmy rented a cottage up in Snowdonia and just took a guitar and a little Phillips casette recorder."

Awards like this one are a comparative novelty to the band. "n our day, we never got any" shrugs Page. "And we probably wouldn't have turned up if we had" adds Jones. "The thing is, " says Plant, "when the temples get grey, the gongs start comiing thick and fast."

Plant doesn't rule the idea out,but he still sounds wearied by the amount of beaurocracy that accompanied the O2 gig. "The endless paperwork was like nothing I've experienced before," he says, "I've kept every one of the e-mails that were exchanged before the concert and I'm thinking of compiling them for a book, which I feel sure would be hailed as a sort of literary version of Spinal Tap"

"Led Zeppelin's never been about the fans" says Plant. "We've always been about four guys coming together to make thrilling, disturbing rock 'n' roll. On our own terms.""

The quote by Robert about " Zep's never been about the fans" has been taken the wrong way by some as him dissing Zep fans.

I remember when Zep 3 and later Houses of the Holy were released and I think it was Jimmy who said that everyone was wanting another Zep 2 then another Zep 4 respectively and he said then that they made music that they liked and wanted to play. So i don't see the quote as being any different to that.

Zep were about doing what they wanted and not the fans or record company. Its what kept their music changing and i think they and we were served better by that attitude and approach.

But i doubt very few serious bands make music for the fans, they write for themselves first and then hope the fans like it.

Was Dark Side of the Moon or The Wall, Tommy made for the fans? I don't think so. There are so many more bands and albums made by the musicians for the musicians. Making music is a personal buisiness. Write for the fans and successful albums will be followed by clones of them and how boring would that be?

Thanks for posting this Knebby. This quote dispels the unease I felt when I read in this morning's Sun that Jimmy was putting an ultimatum to Robert that they would use another singer if he didn't join in.

Of course, reading a story in the Sun virtually guarantees it's made up....

It's not tho Lee.

Nice to see you!

Thanks for going to the trouble Knebby! :beer:

Wish he'd stayed true to his 1983 headline grabbing comment: "No more Led anything".

I think O2 might have been a nostaligic trip for him

I too kinda hope no more led anyhting for the guy, if that is what he would like.

- it never was about the fans, if 4 guys start a band and make a record, where are the fans- so then, why if a band begins to attract the attention of people, should they then sway themselves away from 4 guys in a band making their music? -nowhere in that equation is a fan or person besides the musicians.

Archived