THE FIRST LEDZEP

Yankee Stadium Final Game

Yankee Stadium Final Game is

September 21, 2008

Baltimore Orioles Vs. The New York Yankees

8:05 PM

ESPN

Any Thoughts ?

Good riddance to bad rubbish! The place holds no special memories for me.

When Tiger Stadium in Detroit closed, it hardly got any national attention despite being one of the coolest ballparks ever. All we ever heard about was Fenway and Wrigley, which don't get me wrong, are cool too, but the overhang of the upperdeck and closeness to the field were really special and will never be duplicated again.

When Tiger Stadium in Detroit closed, it hardly got any national attention despite being one of the coolest ballparks ever. All we ever heard about was Fenway and Wrigley, which don't get me wrong, are cool too, but the overhang of the upperdeck and closeness to the field were really special and will never be duplicated again.

Let's not forget the lovely neighborhood Tiger Stadium was in. I've been there. I think I parked my car on somebodies front yard.

Of course as we all know the Vet in Philly was closed to my knowledge, the site of the famous Led Zeppelin Live Aid reunion

It seems to be a fairly common misconception that Veterans Stadium (former home of the Philadelphia Phillies baseball club) hosted the Live Aid event, to include Led Zep's

set. It was actually held at JFK Stadium:

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?process=galle...;provider_id=45

JFK Stadium was demolished years ago and Financial Field (home of the Philadelphia Eagles football club) stands where it stood. Veterans Stadium was demolished in

March 2004. Citizens Bank Park was built just across the street.

The Spectrum is still there, but the Rocky statue was returned to the Philly Art Museum and placed on a pedestal in a grassy area near the foot of the steps to the right of the Museum.

I do believe and am quite certain it was at Veteran's stadium. I have been there and the spectrum but not since the 80's. If you prove me wrong so be it but I had it on tape for years and I always was certain it was at Veterans stadium. Any others agree or disagree? Talking about the Zepp reunion in 1984 where Phil Collins played drums for three songs (Whole Lotta Love, Rock and Roll and Stairway to Heaven)

The Philadelphia link I've just provided proves it was at JFK Stadium beyond any doubt:

http://pictopia.com/perl/gal?process=galle...;provider_id=45

See the third photo to the right. JFK Stadium in the foreground with The Spectrum and

Veterans Stadium in the background. The date was 7/13/85. No worries.

True, true, as much as it hurts (while I wear my Cal HOF jersey in commemoration of The Streak having ended one decade prior to today). Apparently, if the Orioles have a losing season next year, they will tie the ancestral St. Louis Browns with 12 losing seasons; currently at 11 they are within striking distance of tying the all-time streak of consecutive losing seasons, shared by our neighbors to the north, the 1933-1948 Philadelphia Phillies and 1993-present Pittsburgh Pirates (serves 'em right, but I would love an Orioles-Pirates revenge World Series...this year they could play the anti-World Series, if one thinks about it). I remember the last time the Pirates had a winning season - 1992; Sid Bream's score in NLCS Game 7 sealed their recent fate, completing a trifecta of pennant losses for the Pirates (1990 versus Cincinnati, 1991 and 1992 versus Atlanta). Interestingly, the Orioles parallel that to a degree, having lost two pennant series consecutively in their last winning seasons (1996 versus New York/Jeffrey Maier, 1997 versus Cleveland/Murphy's Law). Hmm.

Of course, having said all of that, in 60 years or so, Comerica Park may be considered a grand old ballpark, because in essence, it's a pretty good place to see a game now. And being walking distance to Greektown is much better than Tiger Stadium where you had to drive.

A funny thing is that I pass the Pontiac Silverdome everyday going to work and as I'm looking at that useless pile of crap, I can't help but think that Led Zeppelin once played to a record crowd there.

Hey! what about Shea!

That's like the rock n' roll stadium of NY. The Beatles played a historical concert there (which was later beaten by Led Zep at MSG :P ) and also Billy Joel just gave an outstanding performance a couple of months ago.

I'll miss Shea more than YS...

As a Mets fan, I totally agree! It's gonna feel strange going to games next year at Citi Field but I guess I'll get used to it. I like the design of it, looks like pics I've seen of Ebbets Field.

Oh and.... GO O'S!!!!!!

I was lucky enough to go to Yankee stadium a couple of weekends ago to see the Jays take two out of three. Must say that it was pretty magical going there, just thinking of all the greats who have played there.

I saw a video on the new stadium, and it looks like it will be pretty amazing.

Yes indeed. In the previous post I admitted I was in error, but only because some moron on television reported that it was at Veterans. I was quite trashed that fatefull day as we all awaited Zeppelin's taking the stage. It could have been on Mars for all I know.

Well seems it's all cleared up now, but i was at the JFK for LIVE AID! There was really no confusing the JFK with Veteran's Stadium. I saw some great shows at both however! Those memories are forever engraved on my heart!

What I really want to know, as you are from Toronto, is how tough is it to get leafs tickets these days?

You have NO idea! Season seats get passed down in wills. And it's not like we're vying for the Cup this year (or last year, or next year, or....oh nevermind @$!%^@$^!&)

The Sabres have made the Toronto tickets the most expensive. Platinum seating. Thats because they know that the Leafs fans will come down as usual and grab all the tickets they can get. Doesnt seem fair that we cant ge a ticket there. And now our Bills are playing a game there against the Dolphins. I just got Sabres tickets today for two games. Paid $100 apiece. Great seats but expensive. As an insider I got to buy them before they go on sale to the general public tomorrow morningn at 9 am. Seeing them play St Louis and Pheonix.

I sorta feel your pain, but mostly I'm thinking hey at least he got a ticket LOL I don't follow football at all, but I hear we're looking into getting an NFL team here. That would likely have a lesser impact on the Bills than on the Sabres. It's nice there are actual hockey fans south of the border. I mostly think outside of NY/Michigan area people have to get bribed with ridiculously cheap packages to go see games. Remember Fox tv's experiment with the glowing puck??? How embarrassing. Anyway, Phoenix should be a fun team to watch this year so at least you'll see an up and coming team. Good luck with getting good seats, and with the season this year (except when you play us, that is B) )

The Cowboys are leaving Texas Stadium after 38 years because they could NEVER patch the leak in the ceiling.

It just kept getting bigger and bigger.

f9hx21.jpg

Movin On.

I took the stadium tour back in the 90's and they let us play on the field with some footballs. It's real cushiony. I also had my 49er back to back Super Bowl hat on. :D

Buffalo and upstate NY are great hockey towns. Do you really think the Leafs have a chance against the Sabres this year? The Leafs are rebuilding and I'm sure you know that. Sorry, but I think they will finish last in the division and the Sabres and Montreal will slug it out. There is much worry that if Ralph Wilson dies, or should I say, when he dies, the Bills could be moved to Toronto. But for now, one game a year will be played there. I have my tickets to see the Sabres play Phoenix in March and St Louis in November. I wish I could afford to go to more. I paid over $200 for the Phoenix game. My seats are great for both games. The Sabres just unveiled their new third jersey's tonight and will be in Toronto monday night for an exhibition. As for the Yankees final game, they are going head to head with Dallas vs Green Bay. Unless you are a die hard Yankees fan, and surely they are a dime a dozen around here, most will wisely watch the more entertaining football game. If you get a chance to see the Bills whip Miami up there I highly suggest going. I went to two Bill's practices this year and am a life long die hard Bills/Sabres fan. Oakland is toast tomorrow.

No, like I said, even when we didn't suck as badly as we will this year, we always had a hard time against the Sabres.

Don't remind me about how loooooong our season's going to be :bagoverhead: Anyone who thinks otherwise should lay off the glue. Still, I think we're turning the tide in the right direction. New coach Ron Wilson does not suffer lazy asses lightly, so the country club atmosphere is gone gone gone.

I think Montreal has a good enough team to make it to the finals this year.

Football's not my thing at all...

Have fun at your games!

Archived