New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

There must be a mystery of the quotient here, because it also proves my point.

Then we have a win win. :D

Excuse me for my abruptness with this subject. I am just a tad hot headed at the idea Jimmy is giving Robert ultimatums about joining his group. I do not know exactly how things are transpiring with this situation, but I am most certain the story from the sun is not 100% accurate.

Sold them to their label, Atlantic Records, as I understand it, but I could be mistaken.

Hard to believe he'd do so, until one realizes it was done during the New Wave era, a

time when the Human League, Toni Basil and Joe Jackson, among others, dominated

the charts. No one knew advent of compact disc would refuel back catalog sales.

We did converse on this subject in the past I believe. Kind of got left without dotting the I's and crossing the T's as I remember...

I don't understand this 'selling his rights' malarky. Once he's sold them, what does it actually mean for him? He no longer gets the royalties from his songs? That anyone can use his songs from his time in Zeppelin?

Since at least one other member wrote with him, usually Jimmy, and someone wants to cover or play, commercially a 'Robert song', if Jimmy or the other's don't consent to it, doesn't it mean that it's void anyway?

Does that make any sense?

Eurgh, I'm getting confused now.

He sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of Led Zeppelin's ten original albums.

This is to say he no longer receives compensation when one of them is sold to buyer.

Anyone can cover a song, but any commercial sale entails royalties due to the original artist(s) (or whomever holds the rights to receive royalties). Then there's publishing...

Let's start thinking of cool new group names!

Phoenix Rising? Hm.

Anyone? Everyone? Ideas!!

YABBA-DABBA-DOOOOOOO!

Flintstone.jpg

:D Yessir!

There's just something right about Jimmy and Jonesy going forward together... they were fantastic musicians before they met Robert Plant, after all. If Plant doesn't want to come along, that's his affair... IMO they've been treating him with too much deference as it is, and I mean, for the sake of their own musicianship. If Plant can be happy working with other musicians, no reason they can't be happy doing the same.

Either way, just knowing Page may soon be on stage weaving magic with his guitar makes me happy. He'll have come full circle - maybe call it Ouroboros?

Include Jones grooving, and Jason having a hand in, and it's fantastic. :D

We did converse on this subject in the past I believe. Kind of got left without dotting the I's and crossing the T's as I remember...

Indeed, finding there are known knowns, known unknowns and unknown unknowns. We would have to review the actual documentation to be able to examine this any further.

Well said Steve.

That concert was amazing, however I DID NOT consider it to have been Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin ended in 1980. If they had carried on together since 1980 then I would have considered it, but they didn't. If ACDC stopped after Bon Scott's death and then toured again 20+ years later, would you call it ACDC (I think not).

That night at the O2 was AS CLOSE AS WE ARE GOING TO GET to Led Zeppelin, but not the original. If Plant, age, Jones and Jason carried on touring, I would consider them the NEW Led Zeppelin or whatever they wanted to call themselves. New material and a new direction moving forward. Most fans want the old Zep, I BELIEVE this is what makes Plant hesitant about rejoining. Let the past live in the past and start new again. I would like the see all of them tour together with NEW material and throw in some unplayed/rarely played old Zep tunes (like "For Your Life" last December), some cover tunes, some re-worked Zep tunes (like Plant does now), some re-worked cover tunes... and maybe throw in an occasional old classic Zep tune.

The 4 of them could do some awesome stuff and blow any today's music out of the water (Is it just me or is there hardly any GOOD rock any more???). Can you imagine what creative forces of these men can do TOGETHER!!!! It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up thinking about it.

What does the length of time between gigs have anything to do with what they call themselves? :blink:

We can't speculate anyway.

Well, I've never heard Jimmy make any comment conferring "full partnership" to Jason.

He knows to do so rewrites the history of the band (Led Zeppelin), and IMHO may well be among the factors which led Robert to decide he did not wish to take it any further.

John Bonham's surviving family was at the gig, and Jason did perform on drums, but

none were in the original Led Zeppelin, so they cannot confer full band member status upon Jason (or he upon himself) any more than you or I could (and we can't).

To infer by playing with them he's more than "in" is to say anyone who ever did so is also more than just "in". That would include Phil Collins, among others! I believe this

is what Robert meant when he commented from the stage about them having brought Jason "in". If he (and they) were "Led Zeppelin" there would be no need to refer to having been brought in. It was a polite way of saying, as he also said offstage, "this is how it could be, is this what you really want?"

So what was the band that performed that night? An approximation. It was 3/4 of

Led Zeppelin - billed as Led Zeppelin - made possible by four brave souls, and

established strictly for the purpose of paying tribute.

Not really looking to change anyone's mind here, just offering my own viewpoint.

Food for thought, thanks Steve.

My feeling is, first, the history of Led Zeppelin is still being written. Three of them are alive, and performing and releasing the music. That is not the same as attempting to re-write history - of course they can't rewrite what went before. But 28 years is a long time to keep a moment of silence in respect of anyone. I'd like to think Bonzo would prefer they PLAY MUSIC! The fans are still there, more arriving all the time... it's still a force.

To mention Phil Collins in the same breath as John's flesh and blood is silly, sorry. If anyone can be made a full member, it's a sober Jason Bonham. Personally, I'd find that fitting and moving - it doesn't mean Bonzo is being replaced, more that the story is continuing, toward the light. It won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it won't be good.

You're right, we can't bestow membership on him, but John's three partners can, if he wants to accept it. If they did and he did, the fans can ratify it - seeing that giant black and white LED ZEPPELIN in lights at the end of the O2 concert did it, for me. Gives me chills still and I wasn't even there!

"I don't care what people say... rock and roll is here to stay..." Zeppelin will never die, which is the best legacy John Bonham could have. How cool his son gets to add to it. If he plays with Jimmy and Jonesy he will, whether Plant's there or not. That's the truth, at least for me. Out of respect for Plant, I'm sure they'll call themselves something else, but that doesn't change the meaning.

On the night of December the 10th, at the 02 arena in London, can you please name the band who headlined the bill in tribute to there mentor?

ledzep02.jpg

Regards,

Perry Mason.

LOL!

And dogs barked all over the neighborhood...

He sold his rights to receive royalties from sales of Led Zeppelin's ten original albums.

This is to say he no longer receives compensation when one of them is sold to buyer.

Anyone can cover a song, but any commercial sale entails royalties due to the original artist(s) (or whomever holds the rights to receive royalties). Then there's publishing...

Excuse my ignorance but... does this mean he collects royalties from the re-releases? Which puts him back in the fold, right? And what about the publishing - lots of money there, I'm sure. And is airplay from the original recordings a revenue stream for Plant, or not?

In terms of 1/4 interest, doesn't that mean that individually (or as Bonham's heirs) each has the right of veto? In that case, Page, Jones and Bonham would HAVE to call themselves something other than Led Zeppelin, right?

Does Plant pay the other three when he performs from the back catalog, and, would they have to pay him when they do the same? Or, like Plant changes the music but not the lyrics, could they change the lyrics but not the music, and not pay? Or is it professional and personal courtesy for them all to just have at it without fussing about such things?

My head hurts. :blink:

edit to add: i can't believe i left out pink floyd. 'dark side of the moon' not floyd because no syd? 'momentary lapse of reason' not floyd without waters?

Just a small aside to this... I'm reading Nick Mason's book at the moment and was surprised to read that Norman "Hurricane" Smith plays drums on "Remember A Day" from A Saucerful Of Secrets, and both Jim Keltner and Carmine Appice play drums on A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Nick Mason is actually one of my favourite all-time drummers and "The Grand Vizier's Garden Party" from Ummagumma is one of the only drum solos I can happily listen to repeatedly, but he seems to have been very doubtful about his own ability at times and even agreed to let others take over on the recordings in those cases.

Cripes, I hope not. You do know that the Foo Fighters announced last week that they're taking a long hiatus?

I love & admire Pagey to bits and would welcome any kind of project he's got going, but please Jimmy - not the Wolfman!!

People may be against Dave Grohl as a Led Zeppelin (new name ,what ever)front man/singer etc. I. M.O he has a mighty group already called the Foo Fighters ;and that's where he belongs.The world needs his style/ type of music as much as we as fans of Led Zeppelin need at least something from jimmy page ,John paul Jones and Robert plant.I believe if the front man /singer they choose is there to sing than let him sing he can even tap a tambourine or play a harmonica ;but that's were it has to stop.... .Jimmy, Jonesie; jason are talented musicians and are capable off doing there" own solo's" without someone else reaching for the nearest Guitar or drum sticks (trying to give them a hand). As long as that new singer just wants to sing ,that's fine by Me. :thumbsup:

People may be against Dave Grohl as a Led Zeppelin (new name ,what ever)front man/singer etc. I. M.O he has a mighty group already called the Foo Fighters ;and that's where he belongs.The world needs his style/ type of music as much as we as fans of Led Zeppelin need at least something from jimmy page ,John paul Jones and Robert plant.I believe if the front man /singer they choose is there to sing than let him sing he can even tap a tambourine or play a harmonica ;but that's were it has to stop.... .Jimmy, Jonesie; jason are talented musicians and are capable off doing there" own solo's" without someone else reaching for the nearest Guitar or drum sticks (trying to give them a hand). As long as that new singer just wants to sing ,that's fine by Me. :thumbsup:

Does anybody in here know how to get an audition for the job? I really, really want to give it a crack

www.myspace.com/philrowe

The talk around my neck of the woods has been that the "american singer" being referenced here is the one and only Sammy Hagar.

Does that mean Robert and DLR are next for a collaboration? Ahh the music scene is sooo incestuous! B)

Can't somebody just hang out by the studio and find out who it is?

j/k...before I'm assaulted.

Out of curiosity I peeked in on the Foo's board and I did not see it mentioned. Only tons of fans thrilled they have two gigs at The Joint in Vegas this Fri and St. Fans coming from as far as the UK and all points in between. I'm not a fan of Dave's voice, but his drumming is powerful.

Does Plant pay the other three when he performs from the back catalog, and, would they have to pay him when they do the same? Or, like Plant changes the music but not the lyrics, could they change the lyrics but not the music, and not pay? Or is it professional and personal courtesy for them all to just have at it without fussing about such things?

Actually, venues pay the royalties for the music that is going to be performed. No money goes directly to the artists, but is collected by a few groups and dispensed to the record companies under them. I can't remember the names but there are 2 main ones that do 99% of it. Every venue from stadiums to bars, that plan on playing radio music, is supposed to pay the licensing fees.

The Black Crowes just finished a tour on Sept 10, In Europe. Page, Jones, and Bohnam invite an American singer to jam, likely w/in the last couple weeks.

Chris Robinson would be my guess.

Page is gonna go with a bluesy rock singer, always has.

The guy from Alter Bridge would be a horrible fit, and honestly his voice is much too cheesy sounding.

Chris Cornell has taken cues from Robert Plant, but not the right ones to fit the bill as the singer for Led Zeppelin. Besides, he's busy with Timbaland.

Hopefully they will stay away from any singer that was made famous by 80's rock. That includes Haggar, Coverdale, the guy from Great White, Kip Winger, Sebastian Bach.

If they are gonna do something new w/o Robert, Jack White would be an interesting choice, but would there be room for all the guitars. I prefer Page by himself on the axe.

I finally got through all 20 pages of this thread and here is my opinion. Robert Plant has always said that he would not do a new Led Zeppelin tour unless there was new music involved. If Page/Jones/Bonham are making new material and Plant likes it, he will be on board. If he is not on board, then Page/Jones/Bonham will still release the album and tour just not as Led Zeppelin. That is my opinion. And hopefully we will know something for sure in a month or so.

Thanks for the info. I was always wondering about this subject.

So when the hits/compilations, etc came out (Bx Set 1&2, Mothership, etc), does Plant still received royalties from this, as they are not technically the original 10 releases, but compilations of them?

The Black Crowes just finished a tour on Sept 10, In Europe. Page, Jones, and Bohnam invite an American singer to jam, likely w/in the last couple weeks.

Chris Robinson would be my guess.

Page is gonna go with a bluesy rock singer, always has.

The guy from Alter Bridge would be a horrible fit, and honestly his voice is much too cheesy sounding.

Chris Cornell has taken cues from Robert Plant, but not the right ones to fit the bill as the singer for Led Zeppelin. Besides, he's busy with Timbaland.

Hopefully they will stay away from any singer that was made famous by 80's rock. That includes Haggar, Coverdale, the guy from Great White, Kip Winger, Sebastian Bach.

If they are gonna do something new w/o Robert, Jack White would be an interesting choice, but would there be room for all the guitars. I prefer Page by himself on the axe.

Jesus Christ, some of you people are beyond thick. You've already been told the name of the new singer, that it won't be called Led Zeppelin, and the music performed will be a combination of new stuff and Led Zep material. And yet the speculation continues unabated. Unbelievable.

Jesus Christ, some of you people are beyond thick. You've already been told the name of the new singer, that it won't be called Led Zeppelin, and the music performed will be a combination of new stuff and Led Zep material. And yet the speculation continues unabated. Unbelievable.

So who is it? I've read through most of this thread and haven't seen anything.

The talk around my neck of the woods has been that the "american singer" being referenced here is the one and only Sammy Hagar.

No fkn way. He ruined Van Halen I doubt anyone will stand for him ruining Led Zeppelin. This can't be. If it IS, I will give away my entire Zep collection and be done with the band completely. And I will do the same if it's Grohl. Stay tuned, some lucky winner will get some great vinyl bootlegs, fantastic displays, patches, buttons, posters and John Bonham's hat if it's either one of these lame ass singers. Although I must reserve the hat for Mr. Steve A. Jones........

Archived