New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

MHD

Please no comparison of Zeppelin to this if it goes ahead , surely this is something new...brand new

Would any of the folks on this site stay home if Page, Jones, Bonham, and Kennedy tour in 2009 billed as "Led Zeppelin". I expect most would pay premium prices for this ticket. Response?

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever they do. It has been much too long since JP was out there.

:beer:

Amen to that - all this bashing members of the band for things they supposedly did/didn't do is utterly exhausting and depressing. It's amazing that given comments that have been posted in this and the statement thread which is now locked (thankfully), that these people are really Zep fans, given how much criticism they have laid out.

Please no comparison of Zeppelin to this if it goes ahead , surely this is something new...brand new

Not if they don't write any new material. I wouldn't say I'd dislike seeing a greatest hits show, especially with Plant, but it's high time they stick their neck out and write something new. Otherwise they are nothing more than any other oldies act.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever they do. It has been much too long since JP was out there.

Exactly. The window of opportunity to see Page (in particular) play live must be getting smaller with each passing year. With John Paul Jones & Bonham Jnr in tow, you would have to be crazy to miss this...

Just to note that Myles Kennedy isn't a kid, he and Jason are around the same age, give or take a couple of years.

Sorry if anyone mentioned this, but how about the lead singer for Great White. I am not sure of his name, but I have their Zeppelin tribute album and it is incredible. He does an awesome job!

Sorry if anyone mentioned this, but how about the lead singer for Great White. I am not sure of his name, but I have their Zeppelin tribute album and it is incredible. He does an awesome job!

Great White sucks and its singer would be a disgrace singing LZ music.

Myles Kennedy is awesome. He could do the LZ name proud.

Exactly. The window of opportunity to see Page (in particular) play live must be getting smaller with each passing year. With John Paul Jones & Bonham Jnr in tow, you would have to be crazy to miss this...

You would be crazy to miss it. I have no idea who will or should be doing the vocals. I will accept that both Jimmy and JPJ will have enough sense to pick somebody who can do the job. Nothing more needs to be said really. Have some faith people

You would be crazy to miss it. I have no idea who will or should be doing the vocals. I will accept that both Jimmy and JPJ will have enough sense to pick somebody who can do the job. Nothing more needs to be said really. Have some faith people

exactly. im sure jimmy and john paul would not rush into anything, and i absolutely trust them to make the right choice.

i just wish they would announce something, this waiting is killing me! the thought of hearing some new stuff from these guys is so tantalizing!

Would any of the folks on this site stay home if Page, Jones, Bonham, and Kennedy tour in 2009 billed as "Led Zeppelin". I expect most would pay premium prices for this ticket. Response?

What part of "they won't tour as Led Zeppelin without Robert", don't you understand?

I couldn't care less who is singing or what they are billed as.

Just so long as they get their arses into gear, make an announcement to end all this mindless speculation and constant shit flinging and start playing soon.

The way things (globally) are going financially, nobody will be able to afford to pay anything.

So there may well be people staying at home, providing they still have one.

exactly. im sure jimmy and john paul would not rush into anything, and i absolutely trust them to make the right choice.

i just wish they would announce something, this waiting is killing me! the thought of hearing some new stuff from these guys is so tantalizing!

Agreed . The suspense is killing me too :) I just happen to think that there is more in the tank and it would be a crime if they didn't burn off some high octane :D

I certainly will not miss it. I just wish they'd confirm it. Just seems to be more buzz about it now. I guess they're waiting for the right time. Do you think Jimmy will go all out with his announcement of this and premiere the new band with a performance of some sort? Do you think it will be showcased around some other special event?

How do you think he should do it?

We shall see.

I certainly will not miss it. I just wish they'd confirm it. Just seems to be more buzz about it now. I guess they're waiting for the right time. Do you think Jimmy will go all out with his announcement of this and premiere the new band with a performance of some sort? Do you think it will be showcased around some other special event?

How do you think he should do it?

We shall see.

Hopefully not during a halftime interview at the Superbowl!

How about a good old fashioned press conference?

Well, if it really is Myles Kennedy, I gotta say he is really easy on the eyes and ears. :)

He plays guitar too. It would be interesting if they brought not just a vocalist, but another guitarist into the mixture.

Three J's and a K. lol

They could do far worse then Myles.

Myles is only 2 years younger then me. I'd hardly say he is a "kid".

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=308017636

Sorry if this link has already been posted....

Myles Kennedy

Well it seems the sun were onto something, just got carried away with RP! Something is haoppening and it would make sense to be this guy. How big are Alter Bridge? They got a big following. If they do might be harder for tix :D

Maybe if Myles is the chosen one they could call it Led Zeppelin II..... :):blink::rolleyes:

I like some of Alter Bridge stuff, sort of got that modern North American style rock singer sound and is hard to distinguish him from other singers, good singer don't get me wrong but just sounds like lots of others..but he would be as good as any other that has been suggested.

Maybe this should begin a new direction in the discussion. What will the new entity produce?

I do believe that the new 3j's entity will produce some new material. For us fans we LOVE the Zep stuff, want to hear it, experience it, crave it, but in fact, it will never meet our expectations. They will do the Zep crowd pleasers on tour, but, as with any musician, the newer compositions are what drives them to the tour. Lets be honest, when P& P toured the the Clarksdale stuff was the "bathroom break" for most of the fans. Jimmy and Robert were most excited when they played the NEW, the audience was not. Personally I crave the NEW/UNHEARD track because of the sheer

I really think that the magic of "creating" new compositions is dependent on the chemistry of the musicians in the mix. The ingredients of Zep will NEVER be matched. I think we need to look at the individual creative output of Zeps members is quite revealing and I think that is how we should anticipate this project. What kind of stew will this brew.

Jimmy has been a very "loose/generous" participant in his post-zep endeavors, IMHO. From the Firm, to Outrider, to Coverdale Page, to the P&P collaborations, he has been much less a dictator than he was with Zep. He seems to be open to the suggestions in regards to production and songwriting. All these projects, although each has it's own charm and strengths, fall short of the Zep level.

Looking through the years, The Firm, in general suffers, from when it was recorded (the 80's), Paul Rodgers rockstar pose and simplified production and compositions (the stripped down 80's). Outrider was great but seemed like more of a hodge-podge of ideas. The instrumentals were stellar. Yet, some of the lyrics and compositions were missing something more grand especially in comparison to The Only One. Coverdale Page is/was a much more Jimmy Page statement, musically, but reflected the knuckleheaded rocker persona that Jimmy seems to not recognize or demures to for the sake of just creating something. WIC seemed to be RP's show. I really dig major parts of it, but I there was a conscious lack of Zep magic. It was by design, a SMALL album. It was like a step away from the layered, intensity of the Jimmy's signature tracks. It was flat/loose in production, yet incredibly intimate at times. Blue train makes me weep always. It seemed that the bombastic tracks lacked heart. Perhaps it's just because it's was 30 years since the mark was laid down. Perhaps it was just lacking the other 2 cornerstones. The Crowes stuff was fun cover band territory. Jimmy stretching his legs again jamming and adding flavor like a maestro.

I only know JPJ's Zooma stuff with any intimacy. He captures the more full, classic bombast of Zep. Musically, he is a much more challenging counterpoint to Jimmy. His compositions are less POP and more avant. He's a player's player. The fatness he ads to a track is the essence of Zeps prog leanings. I also think that he GETS "New"-er music. He's connected in a way that Jimmy cannot be because of his stature as Rock Royalty..

Jason is Jason. He's all genetic legacy and re-born enthusiasm. I do not think he's as inventive as his dad, but perhaps, like I said before, 40 years of music influences by JHB makes it hard to carve out your own niche. Others will be able to give a more detailed account of his creative output than I.

As far as Myles being the choice. I don't think that the J's are looking for a singer in the same way that Michael Lee was a drummer for the P&P stuff. I really do believe that they are searching for a compositional "fit". Yes re-enacting the Zep stuff with the salable panache is key but not the sole motivation. Myles is a bit of the common man composer. His music grows on you over time because of it's familiarity. He has a knack for sappy lyrics that tend more to the romantic than the more etherial Plant. I also do not think that he has the capacity to add the whimsical vocal stylings of sir Robert, that added so much playful sexuality, but I am not sure that is a valuable commodity for todays mindset.

He's spiritually mature and less whiney than say the grunge roots he shares with most his age. His musical compositions are more mainstream second generation classic rock (say like Journey) than Zeps which lead/created the genre. But, he will not be the composer. I hope they are open to him being IN the process and I hope he has the stones to be part of it.

As an instrumentalist, Myles is on the high end of really good. He has a heart for the blues and I would love to see him trade licks with Jimmy. I saw the ARMS concert and even in his debilitated state, I'd never seen Jimmy so in command as when he acted as orchestra leader for that army of musical greats. twin guitar interplay is the bomb for me. It is no slight to Jimmy as the stage general, it just makes for a fuller experience. Myles and Mark Tremonti (stellar player also - more of a Metallica generation guy) trade licks on stage, Myles bringing the AC/DC, Deep Purple, LZ, Robert Johnson roots to the presentation. He will be a capable foil for Jimmy and JPJ.

From a personal standpoint, Myles has been a fave for years. I've seen him languish in relative obscurity from MF4 through AB always producing amazing, emotional, dynamic music. If you can look past the fashion/pigeon hole that the public/press put a band in and take the time to let the music wash over you you will meet a guy of seasoned talent and a worthy addition to the J's legacy.

Jimmy has been a very "loose/generous" participant in his post-zep endeavors, IMHO. From the Firm, to Outrider, to Coverdale Page, to the P&P collaborations, he has been much less a dictator than he was with Zep. He seems to be open to the suggestions in regards to production and songwriting. All these projects, although each has it's own charm and strengths, fall short of the Zep level.

I think he was more of a director than a dictator, and has always been open to suggestions. He weighs ideas with care as I recall.

Archived