Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MHD

New singer for Jimmy, JPJ and Jason?

Seems to me Harvey is missing the point. This wouldn't be pointless. Page and Jones apparently want to make new music together, for the first time in almost 30 years.

THAT'S THE POINT, HARVEY!!!

There, I feel better...

Harvey must have been offering his services to promote any UK dates they might do. Well he must have not been happy with their response when he suggested something about a ballot. :wtf:

I suppose this is why he thinks a tour would be pointless, but who knows.

Terry Reid was Pagey's first choice for Zep singer when the band formed.

He's still got it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q77rnIotEc

I'd love to see Terry Reid singing with LZ.

Not me. Nothing against Terry Reid. According to JP, he was blown away by Robert Plant's singing. I think once he heard Robert, Reid was no longer a consideration. In my mind, he made the right choice. Plant was a once in a lifetime find and the rest is history.

I just hope it doesn't get ugly in any way. I have read some things that make me wonder if there will be a stir if Jimmy calls it Zeppelin without Robert. Well, is that really important? We all know that it will not be the same as it was when these guys ruled the rock and roll planet. That is something that is frozen in time, and there is absolutely no sense in trying to imagine that we can ever reproduce what those among us who were actually there when the mighty Zeppelin first cast it's long shadow over the unsuspecting globe experienced. That is not only beyond our reach, but beyond the reach of the musicians themselves. So, it can never REALLY be Led Zeppelin without Bonzo and Robert... first of all.

But, that doesn't mean it can't be great. Jimmy owns everything as far as I can tell, and he can call it Abe Vogelschitz, eat my rotten crotch, Led Zeppelin or kiss my ass as far as I am concerned. I have no doubt that whatever they do and whoever they do it with, it is going to blow everyone's mind, as everything Jimmy has ever done does. All this negativity about Robert and his decision to abstain is irritating, because if you love Led Zeppelin you gotta love Robert and all his egomanical transgressions, Bonzo's violence and Jimmy's black magic and all the dirt that makes it the dirtiest, heaviest and most unaplogetically self-indulgent band in the history of Rock and Roll. The mystique of this band is so powerful that it could never die, but many more of these conversations about the psychology of Led Zeppelin could serve to tarnish it's legacy in some unfortunate way. People just need to stop it and be excited about what is next.

I wish he would come aboard, but everyone needs to let Robert go in his direction while Zeppelin continues on it's own.

Not me. Nothing against Terry Reid. According to JP, he was blown away by Robert Plant's singing. I think once he heard Robert, Reid was no longer a consideration. In my mind, he made the right choice. Plant was a once in a lifetime find and the rest is history.

Reid was the one who turned Page onto Plant. TR turned down the gig because he had a commitment to tour with the Stones.

While YES, I think I'd really rather see a REAL Zeppelin with Plant, RP's voice is more or less fried now. From a musical standpoint, Reid still has much of what he had 40 years ago and would be better with the band musically.

But I'm not sure they should call it Led Zeppelin.

Whatever the guys do, I'll go see it. I'm really interested to see who their choice will be. What is really exciting though is that they stated that they aren't looking for a Plant clone. It could make for some great original new music.

Reid was the one who turned Page onto Plant. TR turned down the gig because he had a commitment to tour with the Stones.

It is a well known fact that Reid recommended Plant. However, that doesn't change the fact that once he heard Robert - as stated above - he wasn't interested in Reid as a vocalist anymore - and hasn't been since Zeppelin broke up in 1980, even while he has been searching for an appropriate direction to go in without Plant. If Reid hasn't interested Page in the last 40 years I can see no reason on earth why he would now - especially as I saw him live a few months ago and he was not in a good state at all. ( Hope he might have got 'better' since).

Actually, there's a lot of truth to this.

Even though I've never heard these guys sing, I wounder if David Coverdale could be considered?

Does any one remeber the Coverdale/Page from 1993? They sound great together! B)

Since they have no gigs in the pipeline, they can only have "former" promoters.

Since they have no gigs in the pipeline, they can only have "former" promoters.

Agreed. I just found it odd that he was considered THEIR promoter when it was really a benefit show. Was he Bill Wyman and the Rhythm Kings promoter as well? That was kinda my point. I just hope they never use him in the future.

Edited by bonzo1026

Hello everyone. Maybe this isn't exactly the right place for this request. Apologies if that's the case. As his name has popped up several times since the JPJ Exeter threads started, including right here,it seemed appropriate. Could someone please tell me exactly how much 'promotion'[in the business sense of arranging ,organising and helping to sell concerts,as opposed to just talking about the band]of Zep Harvey Goldsmith has actually done? USA tours,late 60's through to 77?Knebworth[bannister?]Europe 80? Any of the other tours at all? One-off shows? I'd be interested to know,please.Thank you.

Hello everyone. Maybe this isn't exactly the right place for this request. Apologies if that's the case. As his name has popped up several times since the JPJ Exeter threads started, including right here,it seemed appropriate. Could someone please tell me exactly how much 'promotion'[in the business sense of arranging ,organising and helping to sell concerts,as opposed to just talking about the band]of Zep Harvey Goldsmith has actually done? USA tours,late 60's through to 77?Knebworth[bannister?]Europe 80? Any of the other tours at all? One-off shows? I'd be interested to know,please.Thank you.

My guess is once last year(O2) but I'll defer to the scholars and statisticians on this one.

Edited by reezon

I dont understand why anyone likes Dave Grohl? he certainly CANT sing, and his drumming is mediocre at best. I havent liked one foos song since the first album! Zep could do way better. i do like the idea of multiple singers/led Zeppelin and friends though. i thought when the 3 remaining DOORS did that one show with multiple singers, it was great.

Can't sing? Poor guy, somebody really should let him know this so he quits making a fool of himself - also clue him and the musicians that accompany him in that he sucks at acoustic guitar and is a poor songwriter. (Sarcasm intended)url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6LCttYOO9Q"]On the Mend

Dave gets a lot of criticism on this board. Some may not think him a good option for the new JP/JPJ project, but his work outside of the LZ realm deserves some respect IMHO. Personally, I'd love to see him at least as a guest in some way or another with the new project.

Oh, and he can also sing the guitar parts so Jimmy can still be involved for the sex

Lets trust the boys to make the right selection(s). Also lets keep in mind that many of the possibilities mentioned in these threads are or have been personal friends of theirs and it's rather rude to insult them. A person can certainly state their objection to a particular singer in a civil manner.

Love your idea for multiple vocalists and I truly hope it comes true!

I think every singer who's ever worked with any 80s metal band has now been suggested. It would be great to think that the guys have more imagination than that--the sort of imagination they showed when they started Zeppelin in the first place. This is a new band, they can come up with something totally new--use an Indian singer, or an African singer, or a female duo, or a small choir (though NOT like the schoolkids Foreigner produced at the O2 :dont: ), or pre-recorded vocal effects, or . . . . Or no vocals. :o

Btw as far as I know, they've actually decided, so this is just me thinking aloud, so to speak. Hopefully their pick WILL turn out to be interesting.

Edited by Aquamarine

First off (and one more time) fuck dave grohl(lower case intended)

I do believe the new singer will in fact be..............hang on...............wait for it.........Mr. Simon LeBon! I can just hear Jimmy's theremin on Save A Prayer now............ :faint1:

I think every singer who's ever worked with any 80s metal band has now been suggested. It would be great to think that the guys have more imagination than that--the sort of imagination they showed when they started Zeppelin in the first place. This is a new band, they can come up with something totally new--use an Indian singer, or an African singer, or a female duo, or a small choir (though NOT like the schoolkids Foreigner produced at the O2 :dont: ), or pre-recorded vocal effects, or . . . . Or no vocals. :o

Or The Mormon Tabernacle Choir! :D

I saw it on CNN too; maybe things are gaining traction behind the scenes if the legitimate news is beginning to carry notices. And seeing the Ticketmaster thing on the other thread is interesting too. I know nothing is official or anything at this point, but it was kinda exciting nevertheless! :)

John Paul Jones revamped his website and there's a Led Zeppelin website, too. :D

http://www.johnpauljones.com/home.html

and ten zillion people are bugging his web people about trying to audition...

I think if they were looking for a singer, they or their people would have inquired already...

R B)

Edited by reids

While YES, I think I'd really rather see a REAL Zeppelin with Plant, RP's voice is more or less fried now. From a musical standpoint, Reid still has much of what he had 40 years ago and would be better with the band musically.

But I'm not sure they should call it Led Zeppelin.

Whatever the guys do, I'll go see it. I'm really interested to see who their choice will be. What is really exciting though is that they stated that they aren't looking for a Plant clone. It could make for some great original new music.

Once again, I am going to disagree with the "Robert's voice is fried" theory. Based entirely on recent performances, that I have been fortunate to hear. He is still a legend, a legend who chooses to no longer scream. That in no way indicates his voice is fried.

Edited by Kentuckygirl